• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GambitPool

Nov 27, 2020
Do you mean the ones about how "Cole" is really Johnny Cage? And that by the end, he chooses that as his new stage name? Or reveals it as his actual name? I am kind of on the fence about that too. But it doesn't make sense to include so many game characters, and then randomly leave out Johnny.

Just pointing out.

The new guy Cole has his start fighting in a CAGE. Lol.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I don't know about best ever but considering the quality of vg movies when it came out, it did a pretty good job. Then again it was based on mk 1 which borrowed heavily from big trouble in little china and enter the dragon.
The Silent Hill movie is up there, but my understanding is that it mixes up elements from several of the games in a way fans aren't happy with (I've never played the games, but the movie is good as a standalone piece of media).

Other than that...there's nothing that even comes close to the original MK in terms of being a good movie and also respecting the property it's based on, IMO. Even if MK does owe a lot of its success to the properties it borrowed from.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The effects look good for the most part.

The costuming isn't passing the cosplay test for me, though. It looks bulky in places, and there are some unintentional secondary movements. It could just be putting a limited budget where it matters most, though.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Since the 2011 reboot Scorpion is a good guy now, well more of an anti-hero really. He's also pretty much the face of the series, taking over from Lui Kang.
Actually he's a anti-hero since MK2. After killing Bi-Han (the original Sub-Zero) he kinda feels bad for Kuai Liang (2nd Sub-Zero) for killing his brother and vows to be his "protector". In MK4 he tries to kill SZ but it was just because Quan-Chi was fucking with Scorpion's mind. In Deception he even becomes the Elder Gods champion, only in Armageddon he becomes a villain because the Elder Gods resurrected his clan but as undead.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Really thought they were going to go 100% serious with this, but they really brought the cheese at the end.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently reptile is in that trailer using his camouflage. I need the deep dive when the English version comes out.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I will say the costumes for the ninjas feel a little "bulky"?

I was fine with that YT series scorpion. Just straight up robe/garments.

mortal+kombat+legacy+2.jpg

The mask here is alright...but I dig the plain look of the torso.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't look terrible. I wouldn't go to a theater or spend any extra money to go see it, but as I already have HBO Max* I'll give it a watch.

*Got a trial for WW84, but then my kids fell in love with Sesame Street, so we're keeping it.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Uh this looks sick?

It'll be cheesy, but entertaining. Costume designs for Scorpion and Subzero look fantastic. Everyone in general look great.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Looks better than I thought it would. I still unapologetically enjoy the original MK movie, so I have to at least give it a shot.

JonaB1986

Sep 15, 2020
Potential Spoilers

Plot leak from last year says Cole Turner is a descendant of Scorpion. If true maybe he will end up being the new Scorpion.

Nov 27, 2017

People have been saying this for the ninja designs in the games for years, right? Why would they stop now? Haha.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I'm really happy to see they're going in with the "super powers" and not keeping it grounded in some kind of realistic thing.

Looks WAY better than I expected....although I was hopefully as the early looks had a quality look to them.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I hope this is good, certainly looks more promising than most videogame movies. My only "hmm" is the Cole character, but I'll wait to see what they do with him before judging either way.

Loved the gore, and that little snippet of Mileena looked great.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I'll always hold a special place in my heart for the Mortal Kombat pitch that made them all serial killers:
Even though that's just one year into the 2010s, it still ripe with 00s logic. The whole overly-desaturated color grading, the whole "wild take" on a property (which was big during the 00s "reboot boom"), the whole "gotta go grounded" mentality. Could understand the love for it, but I'm glad we aren't in the 00s anymore.

mortal+kombat+legacy+2.jpg

I think they look more inspired by the more modern entries in the series. MK went from rather normal-looking ninja characters to having them bulked up and looking like American football players (all the extra padding, pauldrons, and extra stuff added to their masks.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Lot of my movie buds are fighting game fans and it's gonna suck shit to miss seeing this in a theater with them. There's way more important things but damn I'm heated how this county treats the pandemic.

Jul 18, 2018
I'm pleasantly surprised that it "looks good". Just hope the story isn't presented like shit so we can enjoy it thoroughly

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
crazy to see the series revive itself enough to get another film, rated r as well. this looks great though, definitely has the vibe from the awesome webseries