• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
This movie alone justifies the legalization of weed. I'm so gonna smoke a massive blunt and watch this with friends and enjoy it like we did the originals when we were 10 years old. It looks absolutely awful and I can't wait.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
So from trailer, Kano's taking the place of Johnny Cage as one of earth's champions and MK's comic relief? Don't like that at all.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
image.png

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
Kano betrays Earthrrealm
Shao Kahn starts the Mortal Kombat Tournament in Outworld
Johnny Cage joins the Earth warrior replacing Kano

Mortal Kombat 2

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
Was expecting the worst but I...kinda like the look of it? Trailer alone looks way better than the first 2 movies already. Ultra violent fights with crazy powers is what I think of when I think Mortal Kombat, and that's what I'm seeing here.

Also like them actually bothering to show Scorpion's origins this time. And I think it's for that same reason the "Get over here!" isn't the iconic version but rather what it would sound like with a Japanese accent, since, you know, Scorpion is Japanese.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Honestly this is the first place I've seen any negative reaction. Looks fun as hell.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Seems like Cole is Hanzo Hasashi's descendant? The clues are his hand wraps and him looking into the mirror to see a hellish version of himself look back. Probably takes up the mantle of being Scorpion when Sub Zero kills Hasashi.
Honestly this is the first place I've seen any negative reaction. Looks fun as hell.

I know right it's baffling to me haha

Last edited:

mookie1515

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna go with the theory that Cole is definitely Kuai Liang. "A washed-up mixed martial arts fighter named Cole Young is unaware of his hidden lineage or why he is being hunted down by Sub-Zero of the Lin-Kuei clan of assassins." And COLE sounds like COLD and Cole Young can kinda be derived from Kuai Liang.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Cole Young is definitely a kind of Anglicized Kuai Liang, but they'll probably have him take over as Scorpion, and if this one succeeds they'll be able to afford bringing in, like, Ryan Reynolds for Johnny in the sequel

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
*watches trailer and gets hyped*

*reads all the hot takes and negativity*

😅

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Seems like Cole is Hanzo Hasashi's descendant? The clues are his hand wraps and him looking into the mirror to see a hellish version of himself look back. Probably takes up the mantle of being Scorpion when Sub Zero kills Hasashi.

I know right it's baffling to me haha
Oh wow. I don't like the fact they are skimping on Cage, but if this is what they're going for with Cole then at least it's not completely stupid

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Concerned sized oof. That trailer for MK 11 will remain the best piece of non game content they have done for the series unless this thing manages to defy expectations.

Looks like they are trying to make MK exist in the real world whereas the first movie just let it happen and it was better for it cause you could have characters poke fun at the absurd premise but not lose anything in the process and still be invested in the plot. No need for long winded expositions that gets more and more ridiculous cause it wants to be gritty and realistic.

Hopefully they can keep the games' lighter tones in this still, they have shown that you can tell an engaging story while having some fun with the characters.

.....or maybe people are itching for MK to get a Nolan style reboot 🤷‍♀️
Really don't understand this sentiment from people. If you want to see an example of Nolan-ish style MK in the real world, look at Kevin Tancharoen's web series. Like this thing has almost more super power usage in the trailer alone than the first movie had in it's entirety. There's crazy shit going on in just about every frame of it (LOTS of ice powers, F'ing robot arms, Dinosaur man looking Reptile, eye lasers, Scorpion on fire, etc etc). What more do you want? Do you just want them to have more of a Batman and Robin visual style and campiness to it? Is the issue that it doesn't look like they're in an Outworld style area the whole time? It already looks cheesy as hell (in a good way). I can see the point about wanting more humor, but maybe they just didn't want to focus on that with this first trailer (and let's not pretend that if it had more of that people wouldn't be complaining about them chasing MCU quippiness or something to that effect).

Last edited:

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
So from trailer, Kano's taking the place of Johnny Cage as one of earth's champions and MK's comic relief? Don't like that at all.

I assume the twist will obviously be that Kano betrays the gang halfway through, then they grab johnny as a replacement.

Trailer looks good on the action side and Im always about for MK dumbness. Colour palette looks a little bit muted and I dont really care for the weird OC new main character.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
The new character Cole is looking in the mirror and see's Scorpion looking back at him.. can definitely see him becoming the new Scorpion after Hanzo dies making him not such a random character everything seems to think he is.

Cole.jpg

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The new character Cole is looking in the mirror and see's Scorpion looking back at him.. can definitely see him becoming the new Scorpion after Hanzo dies making him not such a random character everything seems to think he is.

Cole.jpg

He's going to be somebody, of course. He's being pitched as a protagonist alongside established MK characters. Scorpion Jr would be lame. He's already undead and the whole the reason he's the way he is is because his whole clan died. If the writers can somehow write a similar plot regarding Cole being another hellfire specter then I guess it could work. But then again, Scorpion already has a protege in the games. And he doesn't take the Scorpion mantle. Maybe he's Takeda.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
Really don't understand this sentiment from people. If you want to see an example of Nolan-ish style MK in the real world, look at Kevin Tancharoen's web series. Like this thing has almost more super power usage in the trailer alone than the first movie had in it's entirety. There's crazy shit going on in just about every frame of it (LOTS of ice powers, F'ing robot arms, Dinosaur man looking Reptile, eye lasers, Scorpion on fire, etc etc). What more do you want? Do you just want them to have more of a Batman and Robin visual style and campiness to it? Is the issue that it doesn't look like they're in an Outworld style area the whole time? It already looks cheesy as hell (in a good way). I can see the point about wanting more humor, but maybe they just didn't want to focus on that with this first trailer (and let's not pretend that if it had more of that people wouldn't be complaining about them chasing MCU quippiness or something to that effect).

100% this

I mean, in the 1995 movie Kano doesn't even shot one laser beam. That movie felt way more 'grounded and realistic' than this one tbh. Scorpion and Sub-Zero are actually fighting each other now. Sub-Zero just destroyed Jax's arms. In 1995? He was freezing a gun, killing some random ninja in one scene and then getting defeated by a bucket of water.

Don't get me wrong, the 1995 movie is enjoyable and all but people acting like it was some kind of grand masterpiece should give it a rewatch.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Concerned sized oof. That trailer for MK 11 will remain the best piece of non game content they have done for the series unless this thing manages to defy expectations.

Looks like they are trying to make MK exist in the real world whereas the first movie just let it happen and it was better for it cause you could have characters poke fun at the absurd premise but not lose anything in the process and still be invested in the plot. No need for long winded expositions that gets more and more ridiculous cause it wants to be gritty and realistic.

Hopefully they can keep the games' lighter tones in this still, they have shown that you can tell an engaging story while having some fun with the characters.

.....or maybe people are itching for MK to get a Nolan style reboot 🤷‍♀️
This is cheesy action-fantasy Mortal Kombat. There's like nothing "grounded in the real world" about that trailer. MK Rebirth/Legacy is what if Mortal Kombat was grimdark Rob Zombie gritty body-horror

mortal_kombat_rebirth_new_series.jpg