• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Does Sub-Zero call himself Sub-Zero in the games? Somehow that line delivery seemed especially cheesy.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Can't believe they didn't even use Skorponok's classic line "COME FROM OVER THERE!"

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The only goofy thing was Kano's laser eye blast. Other than that, looks amazing.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kabal at 1:50.

Or an impostor with hook swords. Looks like he has headgear so my boy Kabal might be in. This is gonna have so much stupid CG for the powers. I'm here for it.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Ehhhh. I get all I need from Mortal Kombat from the games now. The thrill of "Whoa what if the fatalities looked really cool?!" from back in the day is taken care of.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Gory fights look good, but the tone seems a bit too serious based on the trailer, the Kano bit at the end aside.

I'll watch it, but I'm expecting it'll be the second most fun Mortal Kombat live action piece after the first film.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
Surprised at some of the negative responses here - I thought it looked pretty spot on!
Mortal Kombat is has always been cheesy and edgy, that's a huge part of the fun of it - sure the dialog is pretty ropey but I think this nails the overall tone. I'm pleasantly surprised on how much it looks like it's taken from the games rather than shy away from it like a lot of video game adaptations do.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
image.png

Kano! Liu Kang! Kung Lao! Raiden! Sonya! And a guy in jeans!

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Scorpion's "get over here" sounds awwwwwwwwwful

Out of breath Scorpion lol. Isn't the dude in his 60s? Wouldn't be surprised if that was actually leading to Sub-Zero's death right there. Seems so obvious that'll be Noob Saibot. The fight could lead to his iconic fire breathing fatality.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie is still the current reigning champ for video game adaptations, with Assassin's Fist being the best of the live action. This film might give either of those a run for their money.

That looks fucking awful
Looks like it could actually be worse than annihilation
I was dying when the girl explained what a birth mark is, wtf?
Most of them look terrible, especially Kano

LMAO, no. Not even remotely. I agree that Kano looks dumb as hell, and Shang Tsung is very questionable, but the rest seem alright. If it's been a while since you've watched any of the previous MK films, I suggest you do so soon. The original was still "the best" of them, and it has not aged well at all. The best time to watch it was at release during the fighting game zeitgeist anyway. I just rewatched it two years ago, and aside from a few cool scenes, it's fucking terrible, and Annihilation is even worse. This film, while likely to be as weak as the original for storytelling certainly looks much better visually.

Maximus2560

Banned
Sep 28, 2020
I really don't get some of the negative reactions I see.....it wasn't like people WANTED or WISHED for a new MK movie. They made it and it looks good so why even critize it? Just enjoy that we get a NEW MK movie! and stop being picky with it. Like did you really expected great dialogue or oscar worthy acting from a MK movie....bruh

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie is still the current reigning champ for video game adaptations, with Assassin's Fist being the best of the live action. This film might give either of those a run for their money.
I vouch for this.
02de36cf5634870ca4f771c2fb317cf2.gif

Fingers crossed the new MK film can hang in good company.

Oct 30, 2017
Okay, it's getting me a bit hyped which is counter balanced with the typical Hollywood script hack of using a brand new character insert instead of working with the massive cast with back in history they can already work with. :|

Last edited: