• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
Happy 10th anniversary to the game that revived the series!

Last edited:

Roryh

Nov 4, 2020
I did enjoy this game but I never got to the end of Story Mode because I couldn't beat Shao Khan.

This was the last game I felt such anger at.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Shao Khan took me fucking hours to beat but fuck me did it feel good when I finally beat him.
Good and mentally exhausted that is.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
There's still things i really miss about this game and things i really don't,

After a lot of MK11 I really do miss certain characters not feeling gutted by the variation system, Rain and Sindel come to mind in particular, but the game is such an interesting playground where weird glitches and BS just permeate the game because patches were not particularly sweeping like they are now. Cyrax is like the poster child for a character that could just not exist in a 2021 game at the design level.

I miss Tag Kombat so much, MK11U not getting it on next gen feels like a missed opportunity. Test Your Luck was also a really novel concept and its absence in 11 is disappointing given how many goofy ass casual matches I had in 9 and X with it.

The challenge tower and the distractions that came with it were really fun and cranked up in challenge by the end, but the flesh pits Mileena outfit was not worth the blood sweat and tears and I would've wholly preferred the Vita version's final rewards. Living Towers did not really end up being a suitable replacement

The Krypt is kind of boring in 9, Deception and Deadly Alliance have way more fun reward variance and the later entries started leaning into really making it an actual gameplay mode in itself.

The story still bugs me to this day, so much of it by the time it gets to MK3 gets too far off the rails for my liking and soured my appreciation for the stronger opening act.

Smoke should keep his 9 look in whatever game he returns in though.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
The first MK game I played the hell out of since I actually owned it. Before my brother and I would just rent the games for a weekend at Blockbuster or at play them at the movie theatre arcade. Also I played this at so many different friends places back in high school since I was pretty much the only one who owned it and I'd take it in case we wanted to play. Got real good with Scorpion (my favorite) but I don't think I bothered to learn a fatality.

Oct 28, 2017
This game needs a port or remaster to PS5/Series X. I didn't care much for 10 or 11. But I still really like 9. Though to this day I'm still confused why they added a stance button when it did nothing.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
It's amazing NetherRealm manage to revive this & the story (mode & presentation) of 9 to 11 is still most entertaining to me for a fighting game.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those games that is important, but is an extremely rough revisit. It got the franchise back on the rails. That being said, I don't miss the character designs. Thank god MK11 finally did away with that sexist bullshit.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
this game needs a remake. new character models and redone cutscenes. or a t the very least a re-release on modern systems.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I really love this game to pieces, played the absolute heck out of it on 360 and Vita.
I don't know why but whilst I really enjoyed them I just wasn't as big of a fan of 10 and 11.

Can't believe it's been 10 years already.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
This is my favorite MK visually. Everything looks sleek and easily readable without a bunch of distracting noise for both the characters and environments, and it's also very colorful for its time. It's ironic how MK9 remained all colorful and vibrant when the industry had hit peak greybrown at the turn of the decade, but when MKX came in 2015 they did the opposite when other games had finally started to move away from that trend.

Only issue is some of the female character designs being really dumb and way worse than anything in the prior history of the franchise. I wouldn't even call them "sexy" because they just look way too silly and tryhard to actually be considered titillating. Sonya's bra-less kevlar just boggles the mind.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
It was my first Mortal Kombat game and ever since I played it, I've loved the series. It's the only fighting game where I actually care about the lore and characters just because they're so much fun.

Its definitely rough to look at now though, especially their attempt to give Kitana a face.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Still the GOAT for me, 11 is great but the gameplay is an huge downgrade from 9 and X for me unfortunately

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have 0 knowledge why WB hasn't remaster this game. License issue? Take out Freddy then! I guess they don't want money that's literally on the table.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
This game needs a port or remaster to PS5/Series X. I didn't care much for 10 or 11. But I still really like 9. Though to this day I'm still confused why they added a stance button when it did nothing.

It actually does do something and is crucial to some combos based on how they end, with a previously "back" limb ending as the "front" limb.

forums.shoryuken.com

Holy crap, the switch stance button HAS A USE!

YouTube - FrameAdvantageDotCom’s Channel Not sure if this has been posted, but the general consensus online seems to think that the stance button has no real use. WELL WRONG! It has a very important use. It’s a pretty interesting mechanic in the game. I can see how switching you stance can...

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Still my favorite of the "reboot" games and the best MK in general.

I have 0 knowledge why WB hasn't remaster this game. License issue? Take out Freddy then! I guess they don't want money that's literally on the table.

Because they put out MKX and MK11 instead.

Doesn't really make much sense to take attention away from new games in the series (plus Injustice) by doing a 4K remaster of a 360/PS3 game.

I'd definitely buy it but I don't think they see much reason to.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
The game that took me from being a MK hater (SF fanboy in the SNES/Genesis era) all the way from 1 to Armageddon to a MK lover. I remember reptile goo balls combo being so fun in this.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Still my favorite of the "reboot" games and the best MK in general.

Because they put out MKX and MK11 instead.

Doesn't really make much sense to take attention away from new games in the series (plus Injustice) by doing a 4K remaster of a 360/PS3 game.

I'd definitely buy it but I don't think they see much reason to.

MK9 was also the re-telling of the MK Trilogy story. The same trilogy that has lead to MK10 and 11. I felt current consoles should have access to it. I figured a remaster was coming because the game was never made BC compatible.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This game put the MK series on the map for me. The story was really compelling and well done for its time. It's sad that no other studio is really putting as much work in their fighting game stories as NRS is.

Sindel murdering nearly the entire cast is still top 3 most shocking moment in a game I have ever seen. I just love how the that one scene reverberates throughout the trilogy.

kratos01

Nov 14, 2017
I still have my PS3 connected JUST for this game :D Play it couple of times per month with friends. This is a the pinacle of the Mortal Kombat series. I did like the last one too. But this is pure Arcade feeling MK like it felt in MK2 and MK3. So many good memories.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I love the fun fighting modes in this game. I'm kinda sad that the fun modes are more or less gone now

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'd been a MK super fan since the beginning and was very hyped for this. I went to PAX and PAX East specifically to play this early. I played the demo for countless hours. I knew it was going to be awesome. But I never could of predicted the impact it'd make on me. It's the game that completely changed my life. The past 10 years have been krazy. HBD MK9.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're living in a timeline where Mortal Kombat is routinely eating the lunch of every surrounding fighting series. Absolute lunacy.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing this online for like a week after release before PSN went down for a month. I'm glad they've figured out netcode for their engine now though.