• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I want to get the game, but i love to unlock stuff without grinding 7000 hours to receive something worthy. I will pass for now,Hoping they fix this forced grinding bullshit

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
The difficulty is definitely unintentional. If players are getting stopped on the first couple of towers on Day 1, they'll just instantly drop it and not worry about buying things to continue doing them. GaaS designers know this. They need to hook a player first because they need those engagement numbers. The towers being so fucking hard that people instantly give up on them is not a way to increase player engagement.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
But you know WHY it's so fast,right? Bc they 100% knew there would be pushback from people. So ofc they have a "solution" ready at launch which was probably their original plan. Like I said in another thread, release "huge bullshit" and then downgrade to "medium bullshit" and act like they listen to gamers.
This. We shouldn't thank them for patching, they just do what they should've done in the first place.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
I am curious in how much this will change anything. The in-game economy that causes the grind and basis for the microtransactions seems to be integrated very deep into the structure of the game. I doubt they will meaningfully change the game so that the "good" unlocks like fatalities and skins will be given away relatively easily, BUT I will be very happy and positively surprised if the did.

Given the amount of skins they could easily give as us something like "play through a klassik tower and get a skin for your character" which would still take some amount of grinding, but in a more managable way. But then they will not get rid of the MTX system completely if WB has any say in it.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
But you know WHY it's so fast,right? Bc they 100% knew there would be pushback from people. So ofc they have a "solution" ready at launch which was probably their original plan. Like I said in another thread, release "huge bullshit" and then downgrade to "medium bullshit" and act like they listen to gamers.

TBF, I expected the "quick fix" to take place a month from now so they could appear active but also dip their toe into the GAAS profits anyway.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
That's not 'why' it's so fast. It could have been their plan, but it's not uncommon at all for an online game to have loads of server side variables controlling everything from character balance to rare item drop rates, etc. *That's* why they can tweak this so quickly.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The difficulty is definitely unintentional. If players are getting stopped on the first couple of towers on Day 1, they'll just instantly drop it and not worry about buying things to continue doing them. GaaS designers know this. They need to hook a player first because they need those engagement numbers. The towers being so fucking hard that people instantly give up on them is not a way to increase player engagement.

Yeah. I mean I'm not suggesting that people give them a pass or anything for the initial frustration or concerns about MTX stuff existing at all if you want to fight that fight. However, I don't put a lot of stock into the idea of "they thought they could get away with this bullshit!" idea. I mean, maybe they did. Who knows? But my general understanding of GaaS MTX is that you're way better off erring on the side of being more generous than you are more stingy. You are aiming for a mindset of rewarding people for playing and rewarding them more quickly for paying, not punishing people for not paying.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
This crap lost them a sale from me. I'll wait for the inevitable "Komplete" version in 1 year when I can unlock stuff without feeling like I'm playing Pachinko slot machines.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I was hoping to pick this up for flights and travel on Switch, but the lack of offline for a good part of the game is a bit of a killer. This is what kills mobile gaming for me as a whole... going underground in the subway basically stops dead any mobile game progress for me.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
They aren't sorry they gated all the costumes behind an unbeatable mode they are sorry they got caught for doing it. They had plenty of time to show off the Towers on streams and they didn't because they didn't want anyone knowing they turned it into a phone game.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
They tried to get one over on players, got called out and have been forced to changed it. They have to be quick because even Maximiliandood was at a loss for words this morning on his stream about it. After beating on a guy for 6 minutes and still losing he said "who is this game even for?" Everyone he was with were amazed at how broken the encounters was.
Do you have a link to this? I'm interested to watch that.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, it's a fucking disaster that they released the game as it is. They must've play tested it. And yes, they thought they could get away.

Yeah that's not "fair" at all, as a comment like your is quite extreme. One mode having issues (which they are already committing to patching), and not even being the primary campaign or multiplayer modes, does not make the game a disaster.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yeah that's not "fair" at all, as a comment like your is quite extreme. One mode having issues (which they are already committing to patching), and not even being the primary campaign or multiplayer modes, does not make the game a disaster.

Yeah, it's kind've a disaster.

It's the mode that they intended to drive ongoing revenue, and as soon as the gate opened they fell right on their face.

Like, some people enjoy multiplayer, and I'm sure the campaign is great fun, but the towers have been a huge part of Mortal Kombat for the last few games, and (if I remember correctly) all the data says that MK players really skew towards the single-player side of things.

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
So far so good on my rx580 8gb using max settings ( possibly 60 fps with no dips ). Only negative is 30fps cutscenes, fatalities etc.. bu that is to be expected.

Edit: oops wrong thread

Last edited:

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Also, consumables should not be in a fighting game. I already paid for the game. Stop trying to nickel and dime me. If you want me to give you more of my money, do some actual work and sell new characters levels.

Consumables arent the problem here, designing content in a way specifically that forces the player to use them or lose is. Its supposed to be that type of mode where your gear and items add up to your progression twisted in a way to try to drive folks into paying for microtransactions.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Are they experts in GaaS, though? Because they sure are experts about tweaking game difficulty.

Now I ask you what is more likely: that they messed up with something they are not quite experts at (GaaS) or something that they've been doing for decades (game balance)? I dunno, I find hard to believe that they thought the difficulty was fine after testing. I think they knew it was very hard, but they were naive to think this wouldn't blow in their faces.

I think you are absolutely right in your accessment of player engagement, which is exactly why they are so eager to fix it so quickly.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
The only reason I didn't preorder was because I was afraid of this shit. Hopefully the patch makes massive changes. I won't be purchasing until I hear that it does.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So how is the game now with the patch? Or isn't it out yet?

I THINK the patch is out...I'm not sure.

But if it is...these rewards are still lacking.

The heart chests are...fucking crazy. 250 per chest when you are earning 1 per fatality, 2 per brutality. Madness.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Isn't there a Kombat Kast today? I thought they said they'd cover the update then...

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Even 100 is a bit high. Its 1 per fatality. You really wanna grind out thousands of fatalities to unlock all the heart crates in the Krypt?

you get 2 per brutality and 2 in an online match when you finish the opponent. and there are towers which reward 10 or 15 for completion.

sure, could be faster but i don´t think they will lower it to like 50 or something