• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If OP actually has a photo of his/her copy I hope all of you catch a warning for attempting to derail thread for linking homebrewing to piracy YET AGAIN.

If not, well shit.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck do you care about how OP got his game ? The thread is about this specific bit of info. Y'all are insufferable sometimes.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
If OP actually has a photo of his/her copy I hope all of you catch a warning for attempting to derail thread for linking homebrewing to piracy YET AGAIN.

If not, well shit.

Very fair point. Instead of discussing some pretty cool information we are throwing more accusations around.

Oct 25, 2017
Because Nintendo only allows 1st games reach certain speed when in the PSP case, I believe Sony didn't have that pterrogative
Sony actually locked clock speed until a firmware update:
https://www.shacknews.com/article/47564/sony-confirms-full-psp-cpu
A Sony Computer Entertainment representative has confirmed to Shacknews that developers can now take full advantage of the PSP's CPU following the late May release of the system's version 3.50 firmware. Rumors of the unlocking were initially reported by fansite PSP Updates via an unnamed source.

Previously, developers were only able to run the CPU at 266MHz rather than its full potential clock speed of 333MHz, though most games ran at only 222MHz. High Impact Games' Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, released in February, is said to run at 266MHz. Hackers long ago discovered methods to run the PSP's CPU at full speed, the benefits of which include a smoother framerate for certain games, at the cost of reduced battery life. There is no word yet if this update enables previous PSP releases to run at 333MHz, something hacked PSP firmware has enabled in the past.

3.50 came three years into the PSP life.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't any store break the street date? It happens in some countries.

I choose to give the benefit of the doubt, and the thread is not really about that.

On topic: is there a possibility that all developers can use the higher clock profile, but Nintendo requires a longer time to approve (make sure it's done properly, I don't know) and most developers just choose to optimize for the default profile?

OP
OP
cucholix

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
I don't own a copy of MK11, someone else tried it and check it was running at 460mhz
I own Breath of The Wild and checking freebird the GPU is set at 460mhz (handheld mode)

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
My Switch is homebrew'd it show me the current GPU speed in freebird :3
053.gif

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why the fuck do you care about how OP got his game ? The thread is about this specific bit of info. Y'all are insufferable sometimes.
Who knows if actual tech journalists have prepared pieces on this already with a lot more detailed info and now are being one upped by people not having to follow the same restrictions due to unlawfully playing the game.

Ignoring all the controversy, I'll agree with the people that feel the extreme lack of context for this makes it hard to form an opinion.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
A few of my friends already have MK11 on PS4. Street date's been broken for a while.

Staff Post: Piracy accusations will be treated as derailment.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about information uncovered from the console modding and homebrew scene. As long as a hack can be used for legitimate homebrew and/or legal emulation, we will not be permitting derails about piracy. Further derailment will be actioned.

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
So this means Diablo 3 doesn't run full speed gpu?
I can see why developers would opt out of max speeds to prevent poor battery life. Diablo 3 sucks my switch's battery in under 2 hours (WiFi on, 70% brightness).

Strange thing is, Botw would last me longer... (Maybe my unit battery is already losing steam?.. it's only 4 months old).

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
For those curious, these are all the performance configs available to Switch devs (source: SwitchBrew.org)
wsUt4en.png

The 460MHz max clock checks out.

Edit: Just read what the OPs source was, so deleted that part. Curious. I don't think Nintendo would restrict third parties from using the mode, I guess Shiver Entertainment is just the first studio that chose to use it, for whatever reason.

I'm more interested in the 1.8GHz CPU clock available in docked mode since 7.0, I had no idea about that. Limiting it to 1GHz in docked mode seemed to be coming from a desire to keep performance the same across both modes, with the intention for games to scale in resolution from handheld to docked. I'm curious if Nintendo has any games planned that scale in frame rate instead, going from 30fps in handheld to 60fps docked, that would use this extra CPU power in docked mode.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
People are here are very strange most of time so dont care for them OP, Interesting info nonetheless

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of stuff is fascinating to me. Given how different games chew through battery life at different rates, even when they're using the same GPU clock speed I wonder how other factors like network and motion controls affect battery life.

I'd love to see some kind of comprehensive analysis of various games and their clock speeds and power consumption.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
OP
OP
cucholix

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
This kind of stuff is fascinating to me. Given how different games chew through battery life at different rates, even when they're using the same GPU clock speed I wonder how other factors like network and motion controls affect battery life.

I'd love to see some kind of comprehensive analysis of various games and their clock speeds and power consumption.
From my experiments with speed setups there's no mayor difference in docked mode, meaning that even maxed out setups don't make significant performance bump, another story is in handheld mode where an increase in GPU speed (example dock speed) greatly benefit IQ in games like Hellblade, battery will be damned ;p

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about information uncovered from the console modding and homebrew scene. As long as a hack can be used for legitimate homebrew and/or legal emulation, we will not be permitting derails about piracy. Further derailment will be actioned.

Just taking some time to say: Thank you.

The old place didn't have any moderation about the matter and I greatly appreciate the steps that ERA staffers took to better handle the issue.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know right now if an official game can switch clock configuration between, say, levels or game modes?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
For those curious, these are all the performance configs available to Switch devs (source: SwitchBrew.org)
wsUt4en.png

The 460MHz max clock checks out.

Edit: Just read what the OPs source was, so deleted that part. Curious. I don't think Nintendo would restrict third parties from using the mode, I guess Shiver Entertainment is just the first studio that chose to use it, for whatever reason.
huh thats interesting i thought the memory clock was supposed to be different in docked mode

OP
OP
cucholix

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone know right now if an official game can switch clock configuration between, say, levels or game modes?
No, the speeds are constant across the whole game, they are set once you start a specific title in a meta file.

Interesting enough it's possible exchange speeds in real time, in RetroArch for example you can set different speeds, and it's instantly, no app reset required.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Well, if a game runs 460MHZ but has a fixed resolution and has overhead most of the time, it might use less power than a game with a very flexible dynamic resolution that is maxing out GPU usage all the time.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if a game runs 460MHZ but has a fixed resolution and has overhead most of the time, it might use less power than a game with a very flexible dynamic resolution that is maxing out GPU usage all the time.

Yeah I guess the clock speed listed would be the maximum for that game, not the speed it runs at the entire time.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I guess the clock speed listed would be the maximum for that game, not the speed it runs at the entire time.
I'm pretty sure it always runs at the set speed, but CPU / GPU load varies. With a fully dynamic resolution, especially if it's always sub-native res, you're always using close to 100% of GPU resources (except for CPU bottlenecks, of course). BotW is native res most of the time, so there's probably some overhead and the GPU isn't always at 100% load.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Even at a fixed clock speed, a GPU (or CPU) can consume more or less power depending on the type and intensity of the workload. So in a CPU-limited scenario, or for a v-synced game, the GPU may end up idle for ~1ms or so at the start or end of every frame, and even though it's at the same clock speed it would use less power.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure it always runs at the set speed, but CPU / GPU load varies. With a fully dynamic resolution, especially if it's always sub-native res, you're always using close to 100% of GPU resources (except for CPU bottlenecks, of course). BotW is native res most of the time, so there's probably some overhead and the GPU isn't always at 100% load.
Even at a fixed clock speed, a GPU (or CPU) can consume more or less power depending on the type and intensity of the workload. So in a CPU-limited scenario, or for a v-synced game, the GPU may end up idle for ~1ms or so at the start or end of every frame, and even though it's at the same clock speed it would use less power.

Interesting, I didn't realize that could be the case. Thanks for the correction!

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I wonder, do they have to provide cause and analysis to Nintendo to be able to use these clock profiles, or can they just use them? Theres many games that run like dog in handheld mode and could benefit from anything higher.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
No, the clock speed is fixed, but the load isn't. In a menu, the GPU might be running at 460MHz, but if the framerate is locked and it's just displaying 2D elements, the GPU is mostly idling. Conversely, rendering a 3D scene at close to 100% load at 384MHz would make it draw a lot more power.
With fixed resolutions, most of the time the GPU finishes rendering each frame well before the 16.6ms or 33.3ms mark, most frames there is overhead, therefore it doesn't reach the maximum power consumption. With dynamic resolution, the resolution is constantly changing to maximize the resolution that can be achieved each frame, and so the GPU is generally more busy. As a result, dynamic resolution increases average power consumption.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
This is very interesting. Considering games are already locked to a clockspeed, to me this confirms that a Switch "Pro" won't instantly benefit most games. Developers will need to release patches to take advantage of the added power and most won't bother.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This is very interesting. Considering games are already locked to a clockspeed, to me this confirms that a Switch "Pro" won't instantly benefit most games. Developers will need to release patches to take advantage of the added power and most won't bother.
A Pro system could automatically run docked mode frequencies at all times. It could also simply translate the frequencies the games demand to different ones if they are not patched. The XBOX One X can run XBOX 360 games at 9 times the resolution, and force anisotropic filtering and V-sync. It can also run the games using all its CUs, and different frequencies.

All those are are calls to the API, given that it's based on Vulkan and there is a driver involved, it's definitely not a problem.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
A Pro system could automatically run docked mode frequencies at all times. It could also simply translate the frequencies the games demand to different ones if they are not patched. The XBOX One X can run XBOX 360 games at 9 times the resolution, and force anisotropic filtering and V-sync. It can also run the games using all its CUs, and different frequencies.

All those are are calls to the API, given that it's based on Vulkan and there is a driver involved, it's definitely not a problem.
Even if it's possible. Nintendo will always give the choice to developers. Just like something so simple as video recording required updates for all software.