• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
Yea the same way opening a chest in diablo is a lootbox too

You can't spend money to get these chests, you have to use the in game currency which you can not buy
They contain items that they also sell separately with currency you can purchase. They are using randomization as a tool to manipulate the player instead of just having a krypt that let you pick out what you wanted to buy.

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You cant buy every skin in MK11, is only a timed option for like 2 or 3 and you can get everything through playing the game and you get them constantly.

While DOA you have to buy them or cant get them.

Im not surprised that people here on this site and on the internet are easily manipulated but jezz.

Outrage culture at its finest.

Way to go with the selective reading. Talking about outrage culture, yet your outrage prevented you from reading the entire post. Miss the next line where I even mention that you can unlock the stuff through play?

And no I didn't just edit that in after your post if you must know. I added that right after I posted and even said that maybe it isn't actually as bad in that respect, but still bad.

Last edited:

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
The krypt is just a VERY fancy graphical overlay on top of an in-game currency lootbox store.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing the game and put in about 5 hours and literally the only skin I got for my main is the guaranteed one for doing his tutorial.

The rest have been for skins I have zero interest in, or more currencies to the Tower
I take it you haven't played the story mode, you get a bunch this way. Plus the tutorials like you mentioned.

You literally can't buy more than 3 skins at any given time with the daily rotations. The most you could spend on skins so far is $15. You can buy time crystals, but there is nothing to spend them on besides the three skins, a couple gear pieces and easy fatality coins. If you spent $6000 on the game in the last two days you'd have a shitton of premium currency and not much else to show for it.

Even if that was the case, fatalities/brutalities are still locked and are considered a staple of the series so it goes beyond just cosmetic stuff.

Fatalities are not locked. The button input is not on the move screen until you 'unlock' that part, but if you know the input or look it up online they work just fine. MKX had the same system.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
well yeah why the fuck would I want to buy a $60 game that is designed to suck more money out of me?

fuck that noise.
Because this isn't the case? There are a myriad of options to unlock the cosmetics in game, and very few things to actually spend money on. Not to mention the system is already changing/ free currency given out. This has been pointed out in the thread numerous times.

Or, don't buy it. Believe what you want.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
You know what. I just don't like any of this mumbo jumbo. I miss the old days haha

Last edited:

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
This is assuming you never use the Krypt at all. There are set chests in the crypt, they're not all random - so a lot of skins and gear can be figured out. But the real problem is they don't reward you enough hearts. Hearts are only rewarded through chests/krypt events or by doing fatalaties and brutalaties. 250 Fatalaties to open heart chests, and I've seen at least 50 or so, that is fucking nuts. So whether or not they tuned it to be that way so people would find it more time efficient to just buy shit with time crystals, I dunno. The runback has been pretty swift here. I guess we'll know for sure at the end of the week when they push out the patch that rebalances shit.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Once upon a time you could have access to everything a game had to offer, and it didn't cost a dime after the initial purpose.
It probably also didn't have 60 skins per character either...

I'm already not buying the game day 1 since I heard the difficulty and grind to unlock stuff is shit. But I honestly have no problem with game having micro transaction in principle as long as the base game itself have plenty of content justifying it's price tag.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Fatalities are not locked. The button input is not on the move screen until you 'unlock' that part, but if you know the input or look it up online they work just fine. MKX had the same system.

Good to know, pity about the brutalities. I like them better than fatalities at this point.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
After unlocking 20 chests in the krypt, I knew buying this game was a mistake. I always buy MK for the story mode and the krypt. Turning the krypt into RNG pretty much makes it pointless.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Yes, among other things. The problem with heart chests is of course the 250 heart price tag.
there is only 1 heart chest for every character with 1 brutality. fatalities and the other brutalities are in the random chests.

in my experience they are in the 5k-10k chests, 10k+ has skins and augments.
Thanks for the correction. I'm still working my way through the story mode and haven't really touched the krypt. I'm just going by what I've heard here and on the Reddit.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing the game and put in about 5 hours and literally the only skin I got for my main is the guaranteed one for doing his tutorial.

The rest have been for skins I have zero interest in, or more currencies to the Tower

You can summon a tower for any character that has rewards only for that character.

Once upon a time you could have access to everything a game had to offer, and it didn't cost a dime after the initial purpose.

And how many unlockable item did that game have?

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that a lot of the old school arcade guys that are still in the business (including John Tobias and Mark Turmell) work on mobile games now presumably because they know how to make games that get people to spend money really efficiently. It sounds like Ed Boon also still has that talent.

Oct 28, 2017
Leave it to NRS to one-up Team Ninja a month later

Seriously, MK11 was running on a ton of goodwill up until the week the game came out where we got news like the always online, krypt being lootboxes, grinding mobile game tactics to get MTXs etc.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
I'm more upset about the brutalities and fatalities being hard to unlock than mere skins that don't matter since ranked has random skins every match.

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who thought any of this wouldn't be in the game was setting themselves up for disappointment.
It's a WB Interactive game

DxLoqLHU8AATGRo.jpg

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more upset about the brutalities and fatalities being hard to unlock than mere skins that don't matter since ranked has random skins every match.
I think you can still do them if you know the inputs, it just doesn't tell you the inputs till you get them in the Krypt. Am sure you can find them online.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they did it right - plenty of options for people to get the exact look they want. When you have that many skins it's not about "buying them all", it's about creating your personal look.
I get that everyone hates micro transactions but you're not meant to buy everything. Why would you? You don't play as every character and even if you did, so you really need multiple outfits? Customize your main and maybe your secondary and that's it

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that everyone hates micro transactions but you're not meant to buy everything. Why would you? You don't play as every character and even if you did, so you really need multiple outfits? Customize your main and maybe your secondary and that's it
Would you say that MTX is all about giving choice to the players?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, the Krypt is randomized. Literally Loot Boxes.

I think they said that the actual chests aren't randomized, but their locations in the Krypt are. So like everyone has a chest that costs say 1350, and that chest will always contain the same stuff, but where it is is different.

Arguably splitting hairs, but the contents aren't randomized.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Would you say that MTX is all about giving choice to the players?
I don't ever engage in microtransactions, but why does the bizarre compulsion to want to buy every single item available in a game have to dictate the pricing model? If they want to put 6,000 gidgets in a game and charge $1 each then have at it. No one should be crying themselves to sleep because they can't afford all the gidgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.