• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
This doesn't really bother me. So what if it takes a ton of time to unlock meaningless things? Alternately - if everything was unlocked or non-existent - you could spend a ton of time playing the game just to have fun, and never get rewarded with anything new. But maybe I'm missing something? I've been playing it quite a bit but I don't have a desire to chase down every random skin, etc.
Spoken like a true frog 🐸 in a boiling pot 🥘. 😤😤😤

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
This is the exact same. They just give you the option to buy skins directly in rotation.
It's not the same at all. In injustice 2 you could directly purchase the shaders you wanted for the character you wanted without having to wait for any daily rotations.

You could grind in Mortal Kombat 11 for months and never get the one skin you want. There's no path to saving up for the things you want. It's just RNG all around. RNG when it comes to the krypt, tower rewards, and shop rotations. It's completely unsatisfying on every level. This is a fighting game. It's not about unlocking literally everything. It's about getting SOME things for the characters you like. It's a terrible evolution of Injustice 2's system. And it's horrendous compared to MKX. You have to pray to the RNG gods just to get another fatality or ONE of the brutalities for your character.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's not the same at all. In injustice 2 you could directly purchase the shaders you wanted for the character you wanted without having to wait for any daily rotations.

You could grind in Mortal Kombat 11 for months and never get the one skin you want. There's no path to saving up for the things you want. It's just RNG all around. RNG when it comes to the krypt, tower rewards, and shop rotations. It's completely unsatisfying on every level. This is a fighting game. It's not about unlocking literally everything. It's about getting SOME things for the characters you like. It's a terrible evolution of Injustice 2's system. And it's horrendous compared to MKX. You have to pray to the RNG gods just to get another fatality or ONE of the brutalities for your character.

Not to take away from all you said here, but there are fixed chests in the krypt but they haven't mapped them out yet.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
And DoA6 removed all that and instead you grind for imaginary/random parts of a costume that when complete, allow you to buy the costume with ingame currency.
Each character in DOA6 has about 6-10 costumes to unlock you can pretty much get every costume for a character in a couple of hours of just playing online now. It's also not random anymore since the parts earned will be for the character being used. Also if your not interested in buying the full game you can just use the core fighters and it will still let you unlock the costumes you can truly play for free and still get stuff.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
All that and even then I won't be able to get the exact Skarlet that I want. Man what a trainwreck.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Also, aren't Fatalities and Brutalities in the Heart chests, which are not random.
there is only 1 heart chest for every character with 1 brutality. fatalities and the other brutalities are in the random chests.

in my experience they are in the 5k-10k chests, 10k+ has skins and augments.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Each character in DOA6 has about 6-10 costumes to unlock you can pretty much get every costume for a character in a couple of hours of just playing online now. It's also not random anymore since the parts earned will be for the character being used. Also if your not interested in buying the full game you can just use the core fighters and it will still let you unlock the costumes you can truly play for free and still get stuff.
Keywords "now" and core.
The preordered $80 version I got at launch lacked good currency and had no free version. I still like it and play it. MK11 is barely 1 day old, so hopefully the "now" in a few months will be as good as DoA.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Also, even if development costs have gone up, gaming is with a wider audience than ever before in history, therefore sales have also gone up, this is what people seem to forget.
As has competition. As has inflation. You can't just make up for the cost difference by "there are more gamers overall" argument. Let's do some math - in the NES era, games cost $40 to buy. Today that $40 is equivalent to $90 of a person's income. At the time, big budget games had development budgets of a couple hundred thousand dollars. These days a AAA game like MK11 can have a budget of $50-100 million (we know they spent months just on each fatality, so this game definitely had a high budget). We can either pay more up front, or pay more through microtransactions, or they can make AA games instead of AAA games. Unfortunately the industry isn't really doing many AA games anymore, so that means they need more money to produce the games we buy. Especially since they bet the farm on these AAA games, every winner has to pay for all the flops.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
And DoA6 removed all that and instead you grind for imaginary/random parts of a costume that when complete, allow you to buy the costume with ingame currency.
You can get all costumes pretty quickly now (it was never as bad as this in the first place anyway, took 10h to unlock everything instead of 2), and you get tons of ingame money quickly.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Keywords "now" and core.
The preordered $80 version I got at launch lacked good currency and had no free version. I still like it and play it. MK11 is barely 1 day old, so hopefully the "now" in a few months will be as good as DoA.
Pretty sure the update that fixed the costume unlocks was out week 2 of the game before the patch you could still unlock costumes at a good rate but it was random for characters. You also got bonus parts for playing early on in the games life. Core version of DOA was also announced prior to release with no release date give could have waited if you didn't mind playing late. MK11 could take hours to unlock a "skin"depending on your luck. There is some guranteed I think training mode gets you one. If you go through MK11 menus this is gonna have to be some heavy fix to fix towers, currency, random rate, shop economy. Sliders aint gonna fix this and the Kombat Kast that just ended earlier gave no confidence they plan really making it alot better.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to wait for the krypt to get mapped out before using any more in game currency. It's how I selected stuff in the previous game.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Keywords "now" and core.

DoA6 quickly adressed it and even the first change that went up very shortly after release increasing the patterns earned by 100x already made things much easier once the patch hit where you got things for your character and excess patterns were put towards another costume it was a non issue anymore. Not to mention the excess patterns change was retroactive so when that change went live and you started the game you were greeted by tons of instantly unlocked costumes. Gold wasn't really an issue because why spent gold on a Jann Lee costume if you don't play him

Do you see MK massively reducing the amount of koins/souls/whatever needed to unlock things in the krypt?

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know how I feel about this or other stories like it.

On the one hand, 6,500 bucks is crazy. On the other hand why did the person calculate it in the way they did. The math checks out sure, but why? Is it the assumption that someone would never unlock anything by playing it? Is that their point. Or is it just to point out that if a person did in fact want to buy everything piece meal without ever playing the game, this is the cost it would be?

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I've already seen people comment that it's optional and not a problem. This fight is a lost cause, unfortunately.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone is a greedy fukk, someone has already bent over.

You cant buy every skin in MK11, is only a timed option for like 2 or 3 and you can get everything through playing the game and you get them constantly.

While DOA you have to buy them or cant get them.

Im not surprised that people here on this site and on the internet are easily manipulated but jezz.

Outrage culture at its finest.
Apologist culture at its finest.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Play the fucking game. Time Krystals aren't the only way to get new skins, and the progression system has already been changed.

Yeah i don't really understand the outrage. You unlock skins in the towers, in the Krypt... I already have from 6 to 10 costumes per characters, and i'm only missing on different colors. But if you have not played the game and you read the title, it's easy to imagine the worst, i guess ?

The only issue i had about that was the fact that the towers were way too hard. But it's gone now, and it will be even better so... yay ?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah i don't really understand the outrage. You unlock skins in the towers, in the Krypt... I already have from 6 to 10 costumes per characters, and i'm only missing on different colors. But if you have not played the game and you read the title, it's easy to imagine the worst, i guess ?

The only issue i had about that was the fact that the towers were way too hard. But it's gone now, and it will be even better so... yay ?
I think the outrage has to do with people not playing the game being the loudest ones.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the outrage has to do with people not playing the game being the loudest ones.

I'm playing the game and put in about 5 hours and literally the only skin I got for my main is the guaranteed one for doing his tutorial.

The rest have been for skins I have zero interest in, or more currencies to the Tower

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing the game and put in about 5 hours and literally the only skin I got for my main is the guaranteed one for doing his tutorial.

The rest have been for skins I have zero interest in, or more currencies to the Tower

I haven't had much of a chance to dive in myself but what I've mainly gathered is that it seems like there's a decent case to make in asserting that the grind is tedious and unsatisfying. What's less clear to me is that it's clearly in service of funneling people towards micro transactions as it doesn't really seem to be the case that any degree of carelessness with one's credit card will help you much in terms of getting the specific skin you want. You can only buy what's available and what's available rotated at random. And not in the "buy a random loot box for a 1 in 2000 chance to get the thing you want" sense, but in that the available items are transparently clear but you just can't change what they are. Am I missing something?

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
I don't understand the complain. Do we really need to have all 1200 skins to be satisfied as a consumer? If so, I don't think we have any right to accuse the developer of greed.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
I haven't had much of a chance to dive in myself but what I've mainly gathered is that it seems like there's a decent case to make in asserting that the grind is tedious and unsatisfying. What's less clear to me is that it's clearly in service of funneling people towards micro transactions as it doesn't really seem to be the case that any degree of carelessness with one's credit card will help you much in terms of getting the specific skin you want. You can only buy what's available and what's available rotated at random. And not in the "buy a random loot box for a 1 in 2000 chance to get the thing you want" sense, but in that the available items are transparently clear but you just can't change what they are. Am I missing something?
It works like fortnite and all the other recent games where theres a selection of skins that you can directly purchase with money, but that selection changes every 12 hours or so. The items up for sale might be random or they might not its too early to tell. You can't directly buy currency to open lootboxes, but you can buy Fight Skips to skip fights in the tower and get the coin reward at the end. A free alternative to that is using the AI to do the tower for you. Those coins you then use in the krypt to unlock most of the color variants. It's unknown at this time how much of the krypt is random and how much is preset. There's also skins that are exclusive to different modes like Towers of Time that can't be found that way. Towers of Time can be farmed with AI that will play for you.

I believe there was also a patch for the towers today to make them easier but I haven't had a chance to try it yet today

Oct 27, 2017
remember when everyone was freaking out over doa costing like 200 dollars for all it's skins and add on crap? lol seems like peanuts compared to mk11

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
I think people would be less annoyed if they weren't so misleading about the way this game was going to be monetized leading up to release.

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what happened to the notion that "MTX for Skins is alright, MTX that might give competitive edge / alter the gameplay is not"?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what happened to the notion that "MTX for Skins is alright, MTX that might give competitive edge / alter the gameplay is not"?

Even if that was the case, fatalities/brutalities are still locked and are considered a staple of the series so it goes beyond just cosmetic stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.