• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I'm only getting it to play competitively that's why I'm not doing the towers I had 1300 online matches on Injustice 2 and that was after my profile got reset. I literally do not care about the single player I'm not even gonna play the story all I care about is fighting.

I was super active in the Injustice 2 OT on the old place on Injustice 2 I never even unlocked Braniac in Injustice 2 because I never did the story and I won't do it here either that's why I'm buying two outfits for Kabal and Noob. I did the towers on Injustice 2 because I wanted one item for Red Hood that item took me 3 months to unlock and I was cheating my ass off the entire time doing console time switch glitches.

What was the Red Hood item? Mask with lips!?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
which is great to see tbh, somewhere is a line and the line is definitely crossed in this game
Yeah I'm glad some are mentioning it. I think the core game is brilliant, probably the most fun I've had playing MK, but singe-player content is lacking once you are done with the story. So if you someone is going to play it online I doubt they will stay around for too long.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only getting it to play competitively that's why I'm not doing the towers I had 1300 online matches on Injustice 2 and that was after my profile got reset. I literally do not care about the single player I'm not even gonna play the story all I care about is fighting.

I was super active in the Injustice 2 OT on the old place on Injustice 2 I never even unlocked Braniac in Injustice 2 because I never did the story and I won't do it here either that's why I'm buying two outfits for Kabal and Noob. I did the towers on Injustice 2 because I wanted one item for Red Hood that item took me 3 months to unlock and I was cheating my ass off the entire time doing console time switch glitches.
I see, we're on the same page here. I actually intend to give the single player a chance but if it gets too frustrating to unlock shit for my mains I'll just say fuck it. I'm sure the complete edition will have everything unlocked from the beginning next year and I can always sell my copy and buy that one.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
the store is up

you can buy easy fatality tokens, skins, intros, fatalities and brutalities.
it's rotating, but I don't how long the featured items are up.
prices are pretty steep 500 to 750 for skins and finishers.
you get 10 krystals for a levelup.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I see, we're on the same page here. I actually intend to give the single player a chance but if it gets too frustrating to unlock shit for my mains I'll just say fuck it. I'm sure the complete edition will have everything unlocked from the beginning next year and I can always sell my copy and buy that one.

Yeah I spent enough time playing the computer as a kid it just doesn't interest me at all only reason I did it on I2 was because I had no other choice. I'm sure it will but they are gonna shake us down for every penny while making it as miserable as they possibly can to get anything for free. Sometimes I feel like games let you unlock stuff for free but really they see it was stealing stuff they wanted you to buy.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
which is great to see tbh, somewhere is a line and the line is definitely crossed in this game
And seems fair too.

The GAMEPLAY itself is getting praise. The presentation is getting praise. The game is VERY good...

... except for the intentional grind they saddled it with. It's not enough to give the game a negative score (it deserves the praise, I'm seeing), but JUST enough to go "you could've done better and you still can".

The grind would be the easiest thing for them to tweak and patch.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
the store is up

Oh no so it's only a rotating store you can't buy specific things unless they are featured? That's gonna take forever to rotate around to a skin you want ffs.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm glad some are mentioning it. I think the core game is brilliant, probably the most fun I've had playing MK, but singe-player content is lacking once you are done with the story. So if you someone is going to play it online I doubt they will stay around for too long.

I mean I kinda feel like presentation, visuals, roster, gameplay and netcode is what matters in a fighting game...

The bonus modes are just that, bonus modes ... If you hold this standard against MK how do you handle games that have far less ?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I mean I kinda feel like presentation, visuals, roster, gameplay and netcode is what matters in a fighting game...

The bonus modes are just that, bonus modes ... If you hold this standard against MK how do you handle games that have far less ?
That's true, but MK was always that much better with SP content, you know what I mean?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Reiko was cool until they turned him into a Shao Khan clone.
Wasn't that literally in his debut?
reiko-psx-ending.jpg

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That's true, but MK was always that much better with SP content, you know what I mean?

And yet this is a far better offering than MKX was.

In MKX you got one free skin per character and that was it. The krypt also took forever and there wasn't much to get really besides brutalities.

Not even recolors.

A lot of the other fighting games can't afford full skins, multiple intros etc...

So I don't know man.

I'm not saying they shouldn't adjust difficulties in tower or make it less grindy, I'm just not okay with trashing the game and ruining its reputation forever because of this when it's a fighting game ...

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
God this cash shop sucks ass https://imgtc.com/i/Eg00vSY.jpg two skins one brutality and the single kosmetic slot is taken up by a fucking card. Why can't we just buy what we want instead of waiting for the stupid store to rotate. Someone on Reddit said there's 2600 items total unlockable items it's gonna take almost an entire year to rotate to everything that's assuming there's no repeats.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying they shouldn't adjust difficulties in tower or make it less grindy, I'm just not okay with trashing the game and ruining its reputation forever because of this when it's a fighting game ...

I can't even comprehend someone would legitimately say this. Their main game mode outside of story with half the game's unlockables behind it is a goddamn mess right now and you're more concerned with the game's reputation? SMFH this line of thinking is exactly why NRS thought they could get away with this.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And yet this is a far better offering than MKX was.

In MKX you got one free skin per character and that was it. The krypt also took forever and there wasn't much to get really besides brutalities.

Not even recolors.

A lot of the other fighting games can't afford full skins, multiple intros etc...

So I don't know man.

The grind can be lessened, yes, but we've also become quite spoiled on what NRS is offering. I think there's a healthy balance.

I mean, I can look at something like Street Fighter, which has a $19 costume bundle for Chun-li alone, or the $99 costume pass for DoA6 which isn't even remotely all the costumes or outfits.

I do like that you can get thousands of bits of gear for free. I'm grateful of that, at least, even if it has a grind.

I'd prefer to be able to work towards what I wanted with less RNG griding though.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
the store is up

What is this nonsense? Only 2 skins are available to be purchased every 24 hours? I can't check every day if by chance the costumes are available that I want.
Why is there no option to just buy time crystals and spend them on the costumes you like?

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Wow, the prices in the store are expensive oO
500 shards for one skin. I completed the story, all tutorials and did some towers and I can not buy a single skin (410 shards).

Also, "featured items", that's sole BS. Just let me buy what I want directly, if it's already so expensive.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the prices in the store are expensive oO
500 shards for one skin. I completed the story, all tutorials and did some towers and I can not buy a single skin (410 shards).

Also, "featured items", that's sole BS. Just let me buy what I want directly, if it's already so expensive.

I was also under the impression that you were able to buy time crystals with real money (as shady as that is). Apparently you can't after all? Time crystals are really hard to come by in this game, I'm just at 360 and I have the game since Wednesday.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
If they let you buy a skin directly then you wouldnt have crystals change left over to motivate you to grind some more/MTX some more when you're tired of grinding

Plus it creates more of a pressure on you to buy MTX when a skin you really want is in the store that day

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even comprehend someone would legitimately say this. Their main game mode outside of story with half the game's unlockables behind it is a goddamn mess right now and you're more concerned with the game's reputation? SMFH this line of thinking is exactly why NRS thought they could get away with this.

The main game mode is the online.

It's a fighting game.

The grind can be lessened, yes, but we've also become quite spoiled on what NRS is offering. I think there's a healthy balance.

I mean, I can look at something like Street Fighter, which has a $19 costume bundle for Chun-li alone, or the $99 costume pass for DoA6 which isn't even remotely all the costumes or outfits.

I do like that you can get thousands of bits of gear for free. I'm grateful of that, at least, even if it has a grind.

I'd prefer to be able to work towards what I wanted with less RNG griding though.

And I'm not saying they can't improve the bad parts, I'm saying that part is completely irrelevant to the fighting itself which... you know is the point of the game. Not only that but it's also offering so much more content than most fighters do, it's not because they're generous it's because they expect to make it worth it through monetization eventually.

The alternative is not getting it all for free and no work it's not having it at all or only accessible through payment. Look at DBFZ, that shipped with literally no costumes, awful single player, gatcha grindy bullshit to get character colors, and yet that didn't stop the game from being a great fighting game. And that was one of the highest budget/ quality game.

Tekken also needed you to grind for items and costumes.

Yet MK is getting trashed because towers of time are too grindy to get free skins, intros etc... ?

That's crazy. That doesn't mean they shouldn't listen to feedback and tone it down btw, I'm not defending that aspect, I'm just saying shitting on the game and ignoring all it offers and it's main point (the fighting) because of this is ridiculous.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

We're being spoiled because we paid for the content they decided to include with their products?
Nah, that's a silly concept and not worth entertaining. They haven't been doing personal favors for us, they've been offering a product for sale.

Other companies having crappy products does not absolve criticism of their latest product. I'm not gonna feel bad or guilty for thinking their latest product has issues, and say well, maybe I really shouldn't have gotten what I paid for in the past.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yet MK is getting trashed because towers of time are too grindy to get free skins, intros etc... ?

That's crazy. That doesn't mean they shouldn't listen to feedback and tone it down btw, I'm not defending that aspect, I'm just saying shitting on the game and ignoring all it offers and it's main point (the fighting) because of this is ridiculous.

If a mechanic is in the game though and it's not FUN, that has to factor in, however optional, because a lot of people are working towards the Tower content and will hit a wall that only RNG or grinding can circumvent.

I've played all Kombat games. Many of them have grind, but the difference is going through it feels rewarding and often fun. If the grind is NOT enjoyable, that doesn't negate the good gameplay, but it does hurt the overall experience in THAT area of the game.

We're being spoiled because we paid for the content they decided to include with their products?
Nah, that's a silly concept and not worth entertaining. They haven't been doing personal favors for us, they've been offering a product for sale.

Other companies having crappy products does not absolve criticism of their latest product. I'm not gonna feel bad or guilty for thinking their latest product has issues, and say well, maybe I really shouldn't have gotten what I paid for in the past.
It's a bit of both.

MK has built up a LONG history of OVER-delivering in terms of content and value to their players. From robust adventure modes, cinematic story modes, staggering amounts of easter eggs, copious challenges and towers, multiple alternative costumes, crazy side-games like Motor Kombat, Chess Kombat, and Puzzle Kombat, kreate-a-kharacter system, personalized pre-fight banter, etc., etc.

Sure, most fighting games don't come close in terms of content, but only comparing MK to ITSELF has spoiled fans like myself, and I'm okay with that. Spoil me away.

That doesn't negate some of the stuff that is a bit too "WB" (pre-order characters, retailer-exclusive skins, easy fatalities, etc.), but NRS has long given players enough content to warrant their asking price at launch, with almost anything else that required grinding or additional hoops never feeling essential, even if it was desired.

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
You guys, you should be ignoring one of the main features NRS has been advertising for the game since launch!

Just be grateful the genre of the game on the disc matches the genre description on the package!

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys, you should be ignoring one of the main features NRS has been advertising for the game since launch!

Just be grateful the genre of the game on the disc matches the genre description on the package!

Seriously. That user who I won't name because he's now blocked doesn't seem to realise that online isn't the only reason people play these games. But hey, poor MK11 and NRS will have a bad reputation if we complain so we should all just turn a blind eye and pretend their main selling point isn't fundamentally broken! /s

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
You know what would have helped prevent a game's reputation from being lessened? A fun, enaging, and fair single player unlock prgression system for one of the big new features advertised.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone planning on setting up a doc for PSN/XBL/Steam ID's? Wouldn't mind adding fellow PS4 players to fight against.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Lower the difficulty and then, boom, nobody really has a problem any more. People don't care too much about time grinds in today's world. They just don't like shit to be so hard that they lose any desire to continue playing. People have no problem doing a hundred towers as long as they can actually do them. When people are struggling a few towers in, that's when everyone gets mad. Super easy fix, so get the fuck on it NetherRealm.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Lower the difficulty and then, boom, nobody really has a problem any more. People don't care too much about time grinds in today's world. They just don't like shit to be so hard that they lose any desire to continue playing. People have no problem doing a hundred towers as long as they can actually do them. When people are struggling a few towers in, that's when everyone gets mad. Super easy fix, so get the fuck on it NetherRealm.

I would have to agree. Even if I don't personally like having to dedicate months to unlocks, all NRS should be hoping for is getting people to engage with the game. If they actually fire up the game and play a tower, that's a win. Give them a unlock.

Last edited:

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
You know what would have helped prevent a game's reputation from being lessened? A fun, enaging, and fair single player unlock prgression system for one of the big new features advertised.

Honestly I'm so mad I have to do Towers again I might not even play tonight I had 100 dollars saved up from skipping sushi and not chain smoking because I wanted to buy my items and go right online now I think I'm just gonna buy DMC5 and the new Final Fantasy XIV expansion pack.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally all of my issues would evaporate if I could actually finish the towers to get the damn rewards. The amount of times I've had to give up on the second to last tower and not get anything for the hours I wasted doing the first two is ridiculous.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Who said that ?

Pretty sure I said they should listen to feedback and adjust that mode and the grind.

I just said it's a fighting game so yes the point is fighting, so presentation, visuals, roster, gameplay, and netcode is going to be what matters the most.

You know what would have helped prevent a game's reputation from being lessened? A fun, enaging, and fair single player unlock prgression system for the the one of the big new features advertised.

Sure, but take out that mode and content entirely.
What's left is still worth the price they're asking for and is still one of the most generous fighters, because fighting games are really hard to make.

I do understand your frustration with the marketing, I think everybody felt that burn with the custom variations not being allowed in competitive modes (what a joke).

But after feedback they said they'll consider allowing them.
So likewise hopefully after feedback they improve the towers and grind.

That doesn't mean the core of the game, which is what should matter in a fighting game, regardless of what the other coward says above, should be understated just to shit on grindy single player. And that doesn't mean some people don't get these games to play alone. But they're still getting this for its quality that are tied to the fighting aspect.

As it is, it's still in a better position than MKX that came with a broken netcode, shorter story, two costumes per characters and no recolors, and a super grindy krypt that encouraged you to just pay to unlock it all.

Permanently trashing this game for a thing they can (and probably will) fix within a week after feedback while every other key component is top notch, is what I have an issue with.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pumped to see SK since he isn't unlocked on my Xbox and I've been grinding since Saturday lol.

YourFriend

Nov 15, 2017
If I pre order to get Shao Kahn does anyone know if the code is printed on the receipt or will it be a code inside the box when I pick it up?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

NRS games are especially known for providing good single player content for a fighting game. i was already gaming at a time where there were no online modes in fighting games, so "netcode" is for me no criteria to a good fighting game, if someone provides online in a fighting game, it better runs good yeah, but i consider this a standard and not a feature.

single player is by no means a "bonus mode", for some people it is the essence of a fighting game because they don´t want to play online. i´ve played single player in fighting games in the 90s regularly to practice for the meetups with friends because mostly you don´t have a friend nearby 24/7 to compete with.

back in the days, for many people the motivation for playing a fighting game came from unlocking chars and costumes, same thing as today.
the source for that, the towers of time, are just made to prolong the grind and annoy the player instead of giving a long term fun mode to play as it should have been.

and i would say more than half of the sales of these games are for people enjoying the single player aspects than competing online or locally. this is a far smaller percentage than casually playing people.

Status
Not open for further replies.