• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
In Death of the Family, Joker literally had his own face cut off, stapled it back on, and proceeded to go throughout the rest of the story with his rotting flesh on his head. I honestly think he would be THE character DC wouldn't have an issue with getting dismembered or set on fire, etc.
Yeah, I'm aware of that, I've read all of Joker's best arcs, and the Batman comics are pretty damn grizzly, particularly now that Tom King is writing and Capullo's art has always been pretty graphic even back with his X Force work, but my point was that MK vs DC ditched the graphic fatalities back in the day purely because DC was uncomfortable with their characters being brutally murdered, and the fatalities that were in the game were extremely toned down compared to Netherrealm's normal fare. That being said, yeah, Joker is not Batman, and I can see that working out I suppose, but fuck I hope he's not a character; that's a wasted slot for me. Pennywise would be vastly more interesting, and it seems like all the rumors of Spawn being in the game never came to fruition which is a real bummer as well. Oh well, more characters are always good, and if they're fun to play I welcome whoever.

No one is thinking big enough. There's a scarier, darker, more violent version of the Joker, in fact....

fl19elct686ylrsz95nv.png

He's so violent and deranged he literally destroyed his entire universe for giggles in the most screwed up ways possible.
Now this, this I'd be ok with. This would be vastly better than just tossing Joker in the game, and I think he'd fit the universe incredibly well.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately that music is confirmed outsourced by their community manager Rigo Cortez

Meaning that they outsourced all of the music in the game and this song will be there or that they outsourced trailer music? I don't think outsourcing music is necessarily a bad thing if the composer understands the material.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Meaning that they outsourced all of the music in the game and this song will be there or that they outsourced trailer music? I don't think outsourcing music is necessarily a bad thing if the composer understands the material.
I try and pull up the tweet when I get the chance but he basically said these themes don't be in game like Kollector trailer theme

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I try and pull up the tweet when I get the chance but he basically said these themes don't be in game like Kollector trailer theme

Oh wow....that's really disappointing but I kind of get it because the trailer music has been really different. Noob's was more orchestral so I did think it was weird that the music was so varied.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish more budget was put into the music. Do you see how much better the game is with good music in the background? The new Kollector video got me pumped. Playing should be exciting and I hope there are more tracks like this. Good high energy music transforms the game.
Playing on PS4, you can use the Spotify feature to play 3rd Strike music to your Fatality! >=D

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
What I want from Mortal Kombat music is something that gets my blood pumping. It really enhances the game for me. The soundtrack in X was totally forgettable and the volume was always super low by default.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Daily reminder that NRS's main music guy (Dan Forden?) met with Mick Gordon and didn't like his music.

Never. Fucking. Forget.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I was happy to hear some echoes of the MK2 character select music in the beta. I'm not sure how you define that instrumentation, but it was a big part of what made MK stand out back in the day.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
3rd Strike Music is trash, no thanks.

A shame about NRS rejecting Mick Gordon, though. They're so dumb.

Given what NRS goes for in terms of music and what Gordon's talents are known for, I can see it. The music thats in the MK games tends to just sit in the background and almost seems seperate from whats going on. I feel like Gordon's stuff not only is the opposite of that, but it participates in what the player is doing and elevates it. I dont know who is listening to post MK3 music, but I know that people are listening to and enjoying the Doom, Wolf, and KI soundtracks for sure.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Given what NRS goes for in terms of music and what Gordon's talents are known for, I can see it. The music thats in the MK games tends to just sit in the background and almost seems seperate from whats going on. I feel like Gordon's stuff not only is the opposite of that, but it participates in what the player is doing and elevates it. I dont know who is listening to post MK3 music, but I know that people are listening to and enjoying the Doom, Wolf, and KI soundtracks for sure.

NRS has shit music tastes. I don't get it. Just mimic what the two movies did, those soundtracks still slap.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
The beta had some really nice music. And some parts even had elements from previous games like the Tower and Character Select. Really nice.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
So Mick Gordon says he would love to do music for Mortal Kombat... And they turn him down. Lol wut? Just how did the conversation go? I mean to meet someone and be told by the guy who's in charge for music of a game you'd be stoked to do that they're not a fan just seems kind of... Disrespectful? They could have just said "we got someone" or "we're gonna go on a different direction". Ain't gotta be a dick about it lmao.

I bet he costs too much hehe. I'll gladly do music for mk12 for cheap (insert Hsu Hao image here).

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Finally watched the Game Informer breakdown on Cetrion. She looks like a lot of fun.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
So Mick Gordon says he would love to do music for Mortal Kombat... And they turn him down. Lol wut? Just how did the conversation go? I mean to meet someone and be told by the guy who's in charge for music of a game you'd be stoked to do that they're not a fan just seems kind of... Disrespectful? They could have just said "we got someone" or "we're gonna go on a different direction". Ain't gotta be a dick about it lmao.

I bet he costs too much hehe. I'll gladly do music for mk12 for cheap (insert Hsu Hao image here).
Also keeping in mind that we barely know anything outside that email, which is already short:
"Not been a fan" could've been said like "Sounds good, but not what we're looking for".

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
1l46jgskbpg21.jpg

Never been angrier in my entire life tbh.

NRS always, I say ALWAYS had and still have most forgetable musis out of all major Fighting games, you know its not good when they use totally unrelated music in character trailers.

At fisrt I was hearing defense of it that they look for subtle not to bombastick. Exscusme but what subtelty you can talk about in the game where diffrent colour ninjas, goth/monk wizards, cyborgs, multiple limbs mutants and GODS reaping each other spine and blowing guts in both grussome and funny ways?

Whoever is responsible for music in all NRS games should step out for one game because turning down a music artist who is critically apraised by WHOLE industry for not just composing most bad ass music but also composing all his themes with dynamic of the game and in some case revolutionize.

Also a composer of the FG (Killer instinct) which character themes are now putted next to legends like Street Fighter and other video games (not just FG)

And a composer of the game where main character does not nothing but reaping and tearing demons (Doom by the way). Music in that game is what makes it 80%.

Not to mention how much responsibility Mick had since he had to follow the music legacy from both KI and Doom, AND STILL knocking it out of park.

Mick Gordon also proved himself working well with limitations. In Doom he was told to not use guitar (which is crazy, a Doom game without guitar) and yet he used a sound from chainsaw to imitate guitar rift.

Sorry I'm just pissed and highlighting how dumb is to turn down a fighting game composer with great pedigree and nothing but respect to franchises and enthusiasm with new ideas he works on. Especially when game is just needs a composer change.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because this is honestly the first MK in like over a fucking decade that has some really good music, but I don't know how that's possible when you have someone turn down Mick Gordon of all composers.

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I do quite like the main theme this go around tbf.

But still.

Knowing in some alternate universe MK/Injustice has a soundtrack by Mick Gordon will haunt me for some time to come.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
It doesn't even say that NRS rejected Mick Gordon, just that he'd like to do an MK game and that the current MK music guy didn't like his music (this was a few years ago so it's probably before Doom came out and possibly before KI even)

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
This game does seem to have a stronger soundtrack than most NRS games, but it's still weak sauce in comparison to most other fighting games.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever does the music for NRS has got to be so deep in the company to the point that nobody would dare remove them. I see no other reason to keep someone around who consistently turns out such bland and forgettable tracks game after game. It's one of the number one complaints for the games outside of animations. It's so odd to see NRS respond well to feedback in every aspect except music.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The diffrence is that music in first games had personality.

Later are generic. You dont remember the hook or even build up. The only thing everybody remembers is the tense build up music during fatality window input.
I honestly think it was still pretty good until at least Deadly Alliance. That character select screen is burned into my head.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever does the music for NRS has got to be so deep in the company to the point that nobody would dare remove them. I see no other reason to keep someone around who consistently turns out such bland and forgettable tracks game after game. It's one of the number one complaints for the games outside of animations. It's so odd to see NRS respond well to feedback in every aspect except music.

Well you're not wrong tbh, though I think this game has the best music in a long time. Dan Forden is the main guy for sound and music at NRS and he's one of the last three original people who worked on Mortal Kombat 1, so he's as ingrained into the company as much as Boon and Vogel (the other two) are.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
1l46jgskbpg21.jpg

Never been angrier in my entire life tbh.
Absolute Insanity.

Well you're not wrong tbh, though I think this game has the best music in a long time. Dan Forden is the main guy for sound and music at NRS and he's one of the last three original people who worked on Mortal Kombat 1, so he's as ingrained into the company as much as Boon and Vogel (the other two) are.
I keep forgetting MK has music.

Last edited:

Blaackstarr

Oct 30, 2017

This theme goes hard. The little of MK11's music I have heard has been a big step up from the past few games.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
I remember hearing on Maximilian's stream that the guy who was responsible for music fo past 3 games is now doing music only for cinematic and story mode, so I guess that the reason of not significant but some improvment.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
When the series has been around as long as it has and the most memorable or dare I say even best MK music is a god-awful techo dance track from a cheeseball 90s movie, perhaps its time to rethink your whole musical approach.

I'm glad the Doom guy isn't involved. Mortal Kombat music is it's own thing.

What is Mortal Kombat music? It's nothing. It's not like Street Fighter or Guilty Gear suddenly dropping their composers for Mick.

Last edited:

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
When the series has been around as long as it has and the most memorable or dare I say even best MK music is a god-awful techo dance track from a cheeseball 90s movie, perhaps its time to rethink your whole musical approach.
The music from the game is completely different than the crap from the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.