• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

Stand Name: The Great Kung Lao

Stand User: Kung Lao

(No idea on a source unfortunately, found it on Reddit and they didn't post a link)

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've rewatched the new reveals, and I gotta say Jax is looking like my cup of tea. Guy is just grabbing and throwing down his opponents all over the place.

Really minor nitpick: it kind of bothers me that Sonya Blade is just called "Sonya" in-game when Johnny Cage, Cassie Cage, Jax Briggs, and Jacqui Briggs all have their last names.

That's because she is not the real Sonya. It's just Ronda Rousey.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is 95% the roster via what's been revealed/what's leaked.
  1. Baraka
  2. Cassie Cage
  3. Cetrion
  4. D'Vorah
  5. Erron Black
  6. Frost
  7. Geras
  8. Jacqui Briggs
  9. Jade
  10. Jax
  11. Johnny Cage
  12. Kabal
  13. Kano
  14. Kitana
  15. Kollector
  16. Kotal Kahn
  17. Kung Lao
  18. Liu Kang
  19. Noob Saibot
  20. Raiden
  21. Scorpion
  22. Skarlet
  23. Sonya
  24. Sub Zero
Pre-Order Bonus:
  1. Shao Kahn
Kombat Pack 1 (6 characters)
  1. Shang Tsung
  2. To be confirmed
  3. To be confirmed
  4. To be confirmed
  5. To be confirmed
  6. To be confirmed
It's assumed there will be a second Kombat Pack (of 6 characters), based on NRS' history, but it's not confirmed. It was leaked that Mileena, Shang Tsung and Shinok would be secret "unlockable" characters via the game. With Shang Tsung being confirmed as DLC, some are suggesting we should be expecting the other two in DLC, and some are saying the leak was just false to begin with.

It was confirmed Kronika will not be a playable fighter (at least in the base game).

Seems odd that they would exclude Takahashi Takeda and Kung Jin if they're including Jacqueline Briggs in the base roster. I figured NRS would either feature all of them or just Cassie if they were going to go with one from that group.

Interesting that MK11 will be featuring only 1 new post MK3 character this time around. Could it be because NRS has nothing substantial to plumb from any of the 3D era characters at this point?

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Will NRS be featuring non playable fighters in the story mode as they did in MKX? It was a point of contention for some.
Which is something that always boggled me. They did it in many prior games too. Characters like Kitana, Johnny, Sonya, Quan Chi, and others weren't playable in Deception, but you fought them in the Story Mode. They've never been shy about using old character data to spruce up a story or adventure mode if they can.

Jan 11, 2018
Will NRS be featuring non playable fighters in the story mode as they did in MKX? It was a point of contention for some.

They sort of said that they would never repeat that mistake again. But I feel like Boon was talking about characters like Rain and Baraka who didn't end up being DLC later when he said that. We already know Shang Tsung is a NPC in the game, and probably also in the story mode.

I can see them not being in playable fights in story mode. That's probably what bothered people. Having finished characters (even if they were ripped straight from MK9 gameplay wise, with no variations) in story mode that you can't unlock despite not being bosses is a bad look. But take Li Mei for example. I don't think anyone had any problems with her being part of the MKX story mode, because she didn't even fight in it.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They sort of said that they would never repeat that mistake again. But I feel like Boon was talking about characters like Rain and Baraka who didn't end up being DLC later when he said that. We already know Shang Tsung is a NPC in the game, and probably also in the story mode.

I can see them not being in playable fights in story mode. That's probably what bothered people. Having finished characters (even if they were ripped straight from MK9 gameplay wise, with no variations) in story mode that you can't unlock despite not being bosses is a bad look. But take Li Mei for example. I don't think anyone had any problems with her being part of the MKX story mode, because she didn't even fight in it.

Do you suppose that it's NRS's business model to simply coast by on some of their previous games as justification for leaving certain characters out as they develop their current games?

I know that they're 11 games into the series, but for many, this is seen as their 3rd entry into the current series.

The best I can discern for now is that NRS is gravitating to mainly the characters of the first 2 Mortal Kombat games, and reserving any of the slots remaining for 3D era characters and newcomers.

Which of the 3D era characters are almost guaranteed to appear in future games?

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Beta is really good. Even with limited amount of content, I can just keep playing. I am big fan of the changes they have made to the gameplay.

But why almost everyone is playing this on their WiFi? It is a shame because the net code is otherwise great.

Jan 11, 2018
Do you suppose that it's NRS's business model to simply coast by on some of their previous games as justification for leaving certain characters out as they develop their current games?

I know that they're 11 games into the series, but for many, this is seen as their 3rd entry into the current series.

The best I can discern for now is that NRS is gravitating to mainly the characters of the first 2 Mortal Kombat games, and reserving any of the slots remaining for 3D era characters and newcomers.

Which of the 3D era characters are almost guaranteed to appear in future games?

I've no idea as to their thought process behind this, but I don't think the 3D era characters stand much of a chance. Kenshi has gained a lot of popularity, and I think they're hoping to recapture that with Frost (who seems likely to be a replacement for Cyber Sub-Zero at this point). Putting Bo Rai Cho in MKX instead of Fujin or Rain was such a troll move, but I don't think we'll see that character being playable again. Maybe Li Mei?

MK3 characters are getting the short end of the stick this time around. Almost all of them are missing in action. Sheeva, Sindel, Stryker, Nightwolf, Smoke, Sektor and Cyrax, as well as Rain and Ermac from UMK3/MKT.

Meanwhile, the game is just a couple characters (Reptile and Mileena, plus Human Smoke if you wanna count him) short of including everyone from the first two games minus the sub-bosses.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
Any clue if skins will be selectable from the character select screen or not? That really killed Injustice 2 local play for a bunch of my friends, they liked being able to quickly select a skin without diving into a customization menu

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Seems odd that they would exclude Takahashi Takeda and Kung Jin if they're including Jacqueline Briggs in the base roster. I figured NRS would either feature all of them or just Cassie if they were going to go with one from that group.

Interesting that MK11 will be featuring only 1 new post MK3 character this time around. Could it be because NRS has nothing substantial to plumb from any of the 3D era characters at this point?
With the story focused on time travel between 90s and current Mortal Kombat timeline characters, it makes sense to skip most of the 3d era characters that haven't had a huge impact on what's been going on recently.

While the 3d era doesn't have many standouts, NRS have shown an ability to turn boring jokey or throwaway characters into really interesting additions to the roster (Noob Saibot/Ermac/Smoke/Rain when from palette swaps without their own movesets to fully fleshed out characters with distinctive fighting styles, Li Mei was actually interesting in MKX story mode, hell, even Stryker won people over with the "I'm in over my head" version in MK9). So, there's characters that could be interesting, I think - Fujin (who I expect will be DLC), Havik, Kai (there was concept art leaked a few years back for a version that didn't make MKX that made him look badass), etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Any clue if skins will be selectable from the character select screen or not? That really killed Injustice 2 local play for a bunch of my friends, they liked being able to quickly select a skin without diving into a customization menu
On character select, you can choose one of three default loadouts, each with their own skin/gear preset. You can always change them/save them or add additional variations, but for casual folks, it should have them covered for wanting to see different skins.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely in the minority here, but I dislike customization in fighting games. There's too much to learn and keep track of. I pine for the MK9/Injustice days where everyone had a standard moveset and a simple list of costumes to choose from.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I'm definitely in the minority here, but I dislike customization in fighting games. There's too much to learn and keep track of. I pine for the MK9/Injustice days where everyone had a standard moveset and a simple list of costumes to choose from.
I don't mind the the three variations from the last game but having to worry what move the opponents might have if ranked allows custom characters seems terrible.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I'm loving the beta and the speed of the game. Feels perfect to me, if they make it a tad faster for the final release that's fine too.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018

I dislike ability customization and augments, but don't mind cosmetic costume stuff.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I'm not the biggest fan of gameplay customization either, but cosmetic customization?

Gimme all that shit. Bleed me dry if it gets me some sick Frosty-chan skins.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
All about cosmetic customization, but don't like moveset customization in fighters either.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MK11-style cosmetic customisation is great and I wish more games did it. I love having preset skins that I can change certain aspects of.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
MK11-style cosmetic customisation is great and I wish more games did it. I love having preset skins that I can change certain aspects of.

NetherRealm continues to innovate. I have no doubt the feature will be a success. The approach NetherRealm is going with is the natural evolution of their game and the genre.

I applaud them for introducing industry benchmarks in terms of facial animation. No question they have the genre's best graphics tech. Thanks for reminding these complacent fighting game devs that fighting games once stood atop this industry.

Now if I can only get WB and NRS on a Ninja Scroll project.

28427924_347479935739706_606509168139960320_n.jpg

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
With the story focused on time travel between 90s and current Mortal Kombat timeline characters, it makes sense to skip most of the 3d era characters that haven't had a huge impact on what's been going on recently.

While the 3d era doesn't have many standouts, NRS have shown an ability to turn boring jokey or throwaway characters into really interesting additions to the roster (Noob Saibot/Ermac/Smoke/Rain when from palette swaps without their own movesets to fully fleshed out characters with distinctive fighting styles, Li Mei was actually interesting in MKX story mode, hell, even Stryker won people over with the "I'm in over my head" version in MK9). So, there's characters that could be interesting, I think - Fujin (who I expect will be DLC), Havik, Kai (there was concept art leaked a few years back for a version that didn't make MKX that made him look badass), etc.

If you don't mind the sports team comparison, which characters do you expect to be called up in future games as heavyweight contenders? Who could be called up on a periphery level, and who do you expect to never be called up at all? Now that I think about it, do you think it's possible that NRS uses one of their more forgettable 3D era character in a squash confrontation, similar to the market scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
NetherRealm continues to innovate. I have no doubt the feature will be a success. The approach NetherRealm is going with is the natural evolution of their game and the genre.

I applaud them for introducing industry benchmarks in terms of facial animation. No question they have the genre's best graphics tech. Thanks for reminding these complacent fighting game devs that fighting games once stood atop this industry.

Now if I can only get WB and NRS on a Ninja Scroll project.

28427924_347479935739706_606509168139960320_n.jpg

The Tekken series does a pretty good job when it comes to customizing their characters.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
If you don't mind the sports team comparison, which characters do you expect to be called up in future games as heavyweight contenders? Who could be called up on a periphery level, and who do you expect to never be called up at all? Now that I think about it, do you think it's possible that NRS uses one of their more forgettable 3D era character in a squash confrontation, similar to the market scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark?
I think some of them could be made interesting to fill roles that characters like Erron Black, D'vorah, Reptile in recent story modes, even if they currently seem bland. Characters like Kai, Li Mei, Sareena, Hotaru, etc. could be given that fresh code of paint, expanded background and cool moveset to make them more interesting.

Havik and Fujin are the characters that seem like they are best suited for an upgrade, though. Fujin, because Raiden has been an idiot in recent games and he's long been requested, and Havik because the idea of a chaos cleric could play into the story mode in fun ways.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite surprised nobody seems to have been able to describe in detail how the Switch version looks in comparison to the others. Just very vague descriptions. Did nobody who played/followed/cared about MK11 play the Switch version?

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Kabal is a monster in this beta

Very safe
9 frame mid with f4
B1 lol
When fatal blow is available you control the match

I love using B1,2 for combo starts but yeah that Fatal Blow is deadly. I keep it in my back pocket in case my opponent slips up. I don't remember his F4
Plus he cares about no zoning, has ez pz damage and a restand into a jailing mix, I think.

No idea what to do against him right now, tbh.

It's a patience game playing against Kabal

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do fighting games tend to be the ones that lag the most? Something with the net code on each one?

Status
Not open for further replies.