• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
User warned: inflammatory generalisation
I'm always left a little dumbfounded at dudes who defend or try to minimize the exploitative MTX in games. I can't help but imagine some neckbeard with loli posters in their room typing up these opinions Cuz it's the same guys you see at the game store making the same arguments.

delicious

Apr 2, 2018
Yeah, they've done this before they had the challenge tower in MK9. This isnt' a new thing. And like I said the towers rotate so frequently its a non-issue in my eyes. With the MK9 challenge tower being a static mode if you couldn't beat it you were just fucked as specific rewards were tied to specific things. With rewards being randomized its actually beneficial because specific rewards won't be tied to any specific task. If one task is too difficult you can find another one that is more manageable.
Yes, because RANDOM rewards are better than just, you know, getting better at the game to unlock the stuff you want. Haven't you seen people complaining about Cat Call in Injustice 2?

Deleted member 40604

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 3, 2018
I'm always left a little dumbfounded at dudes who defend or try to minimize the exploitative MTX in games. I can't help but imagine some neckbeard with loli posters in their room typing up these opinions Cuz it's the same guys you see at the game store making the same arguments.

It's just elitism plain and simple. Dudes that no-life a bunch of games and feel that only they should be entitled to all of a games content. It's no surprise to see that type of behavior carry over to GaaS titles now because it's been prevelant in the MMO scene for decades.

I don't even get why anyone with that mentality would defend any of this MTX shit either. If you're going to be an obnoxious gatekeeper about virtual content then wouldn't it also upset you that whales can literally pay to shortcut past all your hard earned "work." Grind and MTX just end up pissing off the majority of people who buy the game just to leech money off a few people with more money than sense, or have deep pyschological issues with gambling. It has no place in video games.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Looks to be in line with the previous two Mortal Kombat games. Though I put a lot more weight behind the thoughts of people like Maximilian when it comes to fighting games. Reviews for fighting games in particular are less valuable to me than for most other genres. That's not necessarily because the critics "don't know what their talking about" or whatever. It's just that fighting games take a long time to settle. There will be lots of changes made over the next few years and these characters take months to really learn to begin with. I treat these reviews as a way to find out "was the story mode entertaining, is there a lot of content, and is the game technically flawed in any major way?".

On a side note, I can't wait for the next Frame Trap episode with Ben, Kyle, and Maximilian talking about MK11.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, because RANDOM rewards are better than just, you know, getting better at the game to unlock the stuff you want. Haven't you seen people complaining about Cat Call in Injustice 2?
So would you rather a costume or something you'd like to unlock is gated behind a specific challenge that you are finding incredibly difficult to complete?

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, waiting for mine and got confirmation that they won't send them before launch.

This is a little concerning. Based on the record or most NRS releases am I skipping the PC version for the time being.

I know that XL released in an acceptable state but not risking it.

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So would you rather a costume or something you'd like to unlock is gated behind a specific challenge that you are finding incredibly difficult to complete?
Would you rather a costume you'd like be behind a random challenge that you have to wait days, weeks or months for, and then is something you find impossible to beat? Because that's how the system works now.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Would you rather a costume you'd like be behind a random challenge that you have to wait days, weeks or months for, and then is something you find impossible to beat? Because that's how the system works now.

Yeah this system is absolutely garbage right now and that straight pains me to say. In a year where I was hyped and disappointed in multiple games already(I'm looking at you division 2) I thought mk11 was going to be the culmination of inj1 mkx and inj2. But it seems like they took the worst aspects of those games single player content instead of the best. And it's f'ing heartbreaking.

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Musubi still acting like MK9 300 challenge tower is some pinnacle of fighting game achievement, whereas those challenges are downright walk in the park compared to some Towers of Time battles.

At least with a specific challenge that you find really difficult to overcome, you know the goal and you can learn to overcome it by watching others do it. Meanwhile, beating a enemy with 2x health and doing 2x damage as you while the screen goes black every 5 seconds and unblockable poison missiles home on to you is fair because if you don't like it, you can do something else.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game really needed worse reviews than what it got to make a point. These MTX/grindy systems need to go away ASAP. As long as these games continue to get great scores they will keep on doing it. We all know the game is going to sell well.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if you are being facetious or not so I'll go with not and answer seriously. There is more to this game than online play. I know that's a shock to some people but there is. If you are playing locally with friends, if you are trying to do more towers. In klassic towers,multiple other modes do the augments matter. So what's the issue? The issue is if you can't compete the tower because of a bs boss for YOUR character but your friends tower had an easier boss for his character you are at a slightly less than significant but still very noticeable difference. In a genre where a single magic pixel can make or break a match every point of damage matters.

It's interesting because basically it's going to come down to how much this grind will actually bother me. I'm mostly a single player person who also dips into online play. I've never purchased a loot box or MTX and all of this stuff with the Krypt sounds shitty but also none of what you unlock in the Krypt in this game holds ANY real appeal to me. Basically what I plan to spend time with is: story mode, Klassic Towers, training mode, and some online mode. Maybe it'll wind up bothering me more once I get the game in my hands but considering the fact that I only ever 100% the Krypt in Deadly Alliance I feel like I'll be fine. Not to say that people shouldn't boycott the game but as someone who won't spend money on the MTX, I feel fine with buying this game.

delicious

Apr 2, 2018
Calculate the odds of me receiving a specific piece of gear, out of thousands. Sure takes more time than training for a difficult task. Also, that can be solved by balancing. Balancing can also be applied to random drop, which this game does not seem to do( being balanced, that is.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Yeah this system is absolutely garbage right now and that straight pains me to say. In a year where I was hyped and disappointed in multiple games already(I'm looking at you division 2) I thought mk11 was going to be the culmination of inj1 mkx and inj2. But it seems like they took the worst aspects of those games single player content instead of the best. And it's f'ing heartbreaking.

i am also very disappointed in how this turned out but let me just say that the game itself is definitely awesome, it is really only the surrounding crap that is the real head scratcher..

this is easily one of the finest fighting games in the last years and imo, one of NRS best works which makes the whole thing even more annoying

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Can't wait. From what I played a few weeks ago, this should be one of the best entries in the series.

Just used the last ounce of my Best Buy gamer club on it.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting because basically it's going to come down to how much this grind will actually bother me. I'm mostly a single player person who also dips into online play. I've never purchased a loot box or MTX and all of this stuff with the Krypt sounds shitty but also none of what you unlock in the Krypt in this game holds ANY real appeal to me. Basically what I plan to spend time with is: story mode, Klassic Towers, training mode, and some online mode. Maybe it'll wind up bothering me more once I get the game in my hands but considering the fact that I only ever 100% the Krypt in Deadly Alliance I feel like I'll be fine. Not to say that people shouldn't boycott the game but as someone who won't spend money on the MTX, I feel fine with buying this game.

I feel like I'm less annoyed by the "grind" than I am how insane some of the fights are. I'm used to grinding for hard content. I grinded rep just to unlock 40man molten core back in the day. But grinding hours to unlock a tower that has a boss that's basically unbeatable at the end of it is what really kills me personally.

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why Klassic towers? What's the appeal after you beat them with everyone and see their endings?
Wouldn't you rather Towers of Time be challenging but fair, and give you replayability but also give you rewards for playing them?
Also you HAVE to do towers of time to unlock your characters victory poses, intros or brutalities. the specific character tower for your main basically.

Deleted member 40604

Banned
Mar 3, 2018
Why Klassic towers? What's the appeal after you beat them with everyone and see their endings?
Wouldn't you rather Towers of Time be challenging but fair, and give you replayability but also give you rewards for playing them?
Also you HAVE to do towers of time to unlock your characters victory poses, intros or brutalities. the specific character tower for your main basically.

That's the only way to get those? I thought they were just one option you had besides them being a random tower or krypt chest reward. Ugh 😑

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone not getting how BS some of these tower fights are, this is a fight from Noob Saibot's third character tower. This is not a random fight. Every Noob Saibot will have to face this if they play their character towers to unlock intros or brutalities.

The only way to win this fight was to keep replaying it till the CPU mercies me during FINISH HIM, because that bugs out their abilities and disables them.

That's the only way to get those? I thought they were just one option you had besides them being a random tower or krypt chest reward. Ugh 😑
About half the items are split between Krypt and Towers. You do get some from the Krypt, but they're different from the ones from the Towers. Also Kollector might show up in the Krypt and exchange you a brutality for an item, but his inventory too is RNG based

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

Sure but honestly even if that stuff wasn't gated with grinding I probably wouldn't spend that much time with it anyway. Basically what I'm planning to spend time with in this game is the same as what I spent time with in the past MKs. Story, arcade towers, VS. It seems like I should be good. For the people who do want to spend time on the stuff that's gated with grinding I hope it gets fixed.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
They sold 11 million copies of the last MK game, so I dunno.

Exactly, you don't know. What is their development cost and what do they need to sell to be profitable? I'm assuming they can't make all of the cool stuff people want without having some sort of mtx built in.

Also I never realized how many people like the tower stuff. The challenge tower in MK9 was cool but was always a bonus. I would think the same is true here. You get a 6 hour story mode, an arcade ladder and a very robust online game. The towers and Krypt feel like bonus additions. I'm not saying the towers couldn't be better balanced but the reaction is way overblown.

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah pretty much. You get consumables in the Krypt but it's completely random on what you will get. Also the supplies are limited and it's highly implied you'll be able to buy more with premium currency.
That sounds like the worst idea ever for a fighting game, wtf. Depending on the efficacy that borders on some pay to win BS.
"Scorpion (redbull augmented) VS Ambien Cage. Round 1 : Pay.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Meanwhile, beating a enemy with 2x health and doing 2x damage as you while the screen goes black every 5 seconds and unblockable poison missiles home on to you is fair because if you don't like it, you can do something else.

yeah lol, there are fights were i literally sat here laughing out loud how anyone should be able to beat this shit at all...pure overkill and just mad hard for the sake of the chance of people saying "fuck that, i´ll just buy the skin i want"

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone not getting how BS some of these tower fights are, this is a fight from Noob Saibot's third character tower. This is not a random fight. Every Noob Saibot will have to face this if they play their character towers to unlock intros or brutalities.

The only way to win this fight was to keep replaying it till the CPU mercies me during FINISH HIM, because that bugs out their abilities and disables them.

About half the items are split between Krypt and Towers. You do get some from the Krypt, but they're different from the ones from the Towers. Also Kollector might show up in the Krypt and exchange you a brutality for an item, but his inventory too is RNG based

Watching you do that fight again was painful. But I'm glad you finally beat him. That's such bs that the only way to win that fight is to get mercy'd and hope that you are good enough to win that round

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
They just announced they'll be fixing the progression ASAP at the Kombat Kast, looks like the backlash worked.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
That was fast! But it has my hoping against all other hopes that they make real substantial changes because they are acting so fast!

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic news!!! Glad they're already going to address it. I think NRS knows how much is at stake here, and how something like this can totally kill all the amazing hype and everything else they've nailed with MK11 going into launch.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if we'll get some score changes ala IGN's RE2 review. I mean they are fixing problems before the game is even technically out.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Nice that they listen to the feedback. If the fix the tower modifiers, the game is fantastic.

The grind is too much, but with more enjoyable towers, I actually would not mind if it stayed like it is.