• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_pqdjkbmxgd1scmuydo1_400.jpg
Yaaaaas

MagicPhone

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Had a bunch of legit amazing games with a random player earlier tonight. We were very evenly matched, and I learned a ton from them. First time I have ever played a fighting game online and felt like I was truly getting into the mind games people always talk about: learning each other's patterns, revising those patterns after realizing they've become obvious, constantly trying to outthink each other, and just playing better and better.

Just curious, was this in ranked or non-ranked? Sounds like a great time.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Incompetent, maybe not, but there are a bunch of things missing here that one would consider standard for fighting games.

Being able to queue for online in training mode at the very least. Being able to filter connections when searching. Showing the score in 1v1 private matches etc
I'll take ragequit punishments over all that by far (I hate having my points stolen by some salty loser). Those things we didnt have in IJ2 and MKX either but my memory might be failing me. I dont want to talk out of my rear and too lazy to Google right now. I need to hop on and lab Cetrion so i can get online and starting whinning bout how bad I'm geting bodied

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take ragequit punishments over all that by far (I hate having my points stolen by some salty loser). Those things we didnt have in IJ2 and MKX either but my memory might be failing me. I dont want to talk out of my rear and too lazy to Google right now. I need to hop on and lab Cetrion so i can get online and starting whinning bout how bad I'm geting bodied
I don't think they were, and it's just "NRS things" at this point. But don't get me wrong, I despise not getting my deserved points. Some fighting games only punish the quitter while still not actually giving the winner their rightful points :/

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I'm trying to transition fom dbfz back into NRS world. But I dont understand-- I see a combo video for Cetrion and it shows "Spring Cleaning variation ". I need to go create this variation? fuuu I just want to go online and play with people. But I want to know a bnb combo first

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to transition fom dbfz back into NRS world. But I dont understand-- I see a combo video for Cetrion and it shows "Spring Cleaning variation ". I need to go create this variation? fuuu I just want to go online and play with people. But I want to know a bnb combo first

For whatever reason the default variations are not the tournament variations. If you go in to Kustomize, select Cetrion and one of the loadouts then go to Abilities. If you hit Square (PS4)/X (Xbox) you'll bring up some of the presets they have, the ones with the trophy next to them are the tournament variations.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
For whatever reason the default variations are not the tournament variations. If you go in to Kustomize, select Cetrion and one of the loadouts then go to Abilities. If you hit Square (PS4)/X (Xbox) you'll bring up some of the presets they have, the ones with the trophy next to them are the tournament variations.
Thanks! That is so weird. That is definitely new. In MKX you just selected from 2 choices from what I recall and you were good.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! That is so weird. That is definitely new. In MKX you just selected from 2 choices from what I recall and you were good.

Yeah, they experimented with new abilities in IJ2 so they kind of went half-way between MKX and IJ2 with this one. I just don't get why the two default variations aren't the tournament ones.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure you can display ping numbers and view them in matches in real time.

Nobody should ever use bars to figure out the connection quality

Sure, but I wasn't talking about mid-match. I was talking about when you get matched up with someone and you're determining if you're going to accept the match (or being forced into it in the case of ranked).

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fighting Geras is like fighting a train. Dude does not stop. I'm getting my bearings with him, but once he gets right up in my salad, it's still deucedly hard to extricate myself from his giant metal fist.
Fighting Geras is the most nail-biting experience because getting hit by a single stray sand trap means over a third of your health just vanishes.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Fox's tier list. He's the first one brave enough to appropriately place Sub Zero IMO, scrubs think he's God on earth but truth is once you fight someone that can fuzzy guard his gimmick he's left with a pitiful neutral and mediocre damage. Thin Ice is the only viable variation and as long as you can react to the slide, he has literally nothing else of value.

https://twitter.com/SonicFox5000/status/1131031603810099200?s=09

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Fox's tier list. He's the first one brave enough to appropriately place Sub Zero IMO, scrubs think he's God on earth but truth is once you fight someone that can fuzzy guard his gimmick he's left with a pitiful neutral and mediocre damage. Thin Ice is the only viable variation and as long as you can react to the slide, he has literally nothing else of value.

So as long as you're as good as SonicFox then Sub Zero sucks. Glad we figured that out.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
So as long as you're as good as SonicFox then Sub Zero sucks. Glad we figured that out.
DJT dropped him mid Summit for Baraka because he couldn't do shit. Sub Zero won't get results in higher level play, accept it or not it doesn't really matter for a guy like you or me lol. Tier lists only matter for the 1%.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
He's also one of the few giving a lot of praise to Raiden. Rewind, who mained him in MKX thinks he's shit. PL is another one that keeps praising Raiden but I honestly don't know how much weight his opinion has after several years of failures in tournament play.

I'm really interest to see someone doing well with him because from all the footage I saw so far, I just can't see doing well against pretty much half the cast. More surprises will come at Combo Breaker and I really hope he's one of them, Raiden deserves better.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So after entering a competitive KOTH with a friend and a friend of his and getting destroyed I realized I haven't even touched the Tournament variations.

I basically have one character I can use with a tournament variation so I need practice.

EDIT: How big is Geras' jump hitbox? Goddamn.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I mean... Even with that, would you really put Sub below Shao Kahn?

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... Even with that, would you really put Sub below Shao Kahn?
As far as everything I know, not at all. But with recent discoveries some players are saying Shao Khan is way better than they thought due to a hit confirmable mid, that takes quite a bit of practice, making him way better in the neutral. I think it was Reo that made that public and Sonic Fox agreed it changes everything.

https://youtu.be/b4g3lZ60ujw

As until now the only famous player using Shao Khan was Forever King and he was using mostly the worse variation and had no idea about this, it's possible he might lab him again, but since he's a Geras main now that would be pointless. This is another character that could surprise us at Combo Breaker due to being so underrated by the community until now.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I promised myself I'd never do another character tower but I'm really loving Baraka and want his stuff, so here I am on stage 2, the calm before the storm. I'm really not looking forward to doing those requirements again.

And where's my damn heads? I've not had a single one unlock and I've played a fuck ton.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As far as everything I know, not at all. But with recent discoveries some players are saying Shao Khan is way better than they thought due to a hit confirmable mid, that takes quite a bit of practice, making him way better in the neutral. I think it was Reo that made that public and Sonic Fox agreed it changes everything.

As until now the only famous player using Shao Khan was Forever King and he was using mostly the worse variation and had no idea about this, it's possible he might lab him again, but since he's a Geras main now that would be pointless. This is another character that could surprise us at Combo Breaker due to being so underrated by the community until now.
Wait, that attack is actually hit confirmable that late? Well shit. That's huge.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
That's what tier lists are about. How the top 100 players do. There are always scrub killer characters but often they don't do as well against stronger players who understand defense and offense in the game at the top level. And as matchups develop things that were very strong get figured out. So.a strong 50/50 on day one becomes mundane by month two. Sub and Scorpion are the Ryu and Ken of MK so it's a matvhup most dedicated players will have figured out and will become more even or advantageous with time.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got 250 Towers trophy. Just need to finish up doing Versus Kasual matches. Since most of my time has uh... been spent doing towers instead of actually playing online.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Is it confirmed that the Shrine dupes are only for gears and no skins? I don't see a patch dropping until after Combo Breaker and my my stash is itching.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Hell yeah, Jax top tier!

holy shit, this is a game changer

i've been using shao kahn on the side but i didn't know you could cancel that button THAT late

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
holy shit, this is a game changer

i've been using shao kahn on the side but i didn't know you could cancel that button THAT late
I didn't either! And after trying it in training mode... This is something some crazy people will definitely be able to consistently hit confirm. It's not that demanding, you can definitely do it on reaction, it just takes absurd nerves and discipline to safely do in an actual match.