• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nuke

Oct 25, 2017
Mirassol, SP, Brazil
PSA about Towers of Time.

You know the first tower from every platform, the easy one with 2 or 3 characters, that's kinda easy and you send your A.I. while you do other stuff, and the A.I. never unlock the brutal version of it?
Yeah, they can give tower keys. I just got a key for Scorpion Tower for finishing the first tower from the previous Erron ToT. And got some beautiful gear from it:

20190518130546-1.jpg

20190518130924-1.jpg

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018

You know the first tower from every platform, the easy one with 2 or 3 characters, that's kinda easy and you send your A.I. while you do other stuff, and the A.I. never unlock the brutal version of it?
Yeah, they can give tower keys. I just got a key for Scorpion Tower for finishing the first tower from the previous Erron ToT. And got some beautiful gear from it:

20190518130546-1.jpg

20190518130924-1.jpg
What's a tower key?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

20190518130546-1.jpg

20190518130924-1.jpg

I now wonder if this is how I get Sub's maskless gear... Gotta try that Brutal Difficulty a couple of times next time I see a timed Sub tower -- I have yet to come across a Sub-specific Tower Key, but this is good intel that gives me a good vibe about it. Thanks.

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
I now wonder if this is how I get Sub's maskless gear... Gotta try that Brutal Difficulty a couple of times next time I see a timed Sub tower -- I have yet to come across a Sub-specific Tower Key, but this is good intel that gives me a good vibe about it. Thanks.

I believe you get the maskless gear pieces by making an offering of 75,000 koins to the shrine in the krypt, but its not guaranteed and could take a while.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

20190518130546-1.jpg

20190518130924-1.jpg
Good to know. I've unlocked most towers brutal just for the bonuses. I don't routinely check what the brutal versions give you though as I've only ever seen random augments.

I've received the Skarlet's and Baraka towers multiple times though.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe you get the maskless gear pieces by making an offering of 75,000 koins to the shrine in the krypt, but its not guaranteed and could take a while.

Skarlet, Kitana and Kabal are the only maskless you can get from the shrines. Jade is from her first Character Tower. Scorpion and Frost are from their 3rd Tower. Nobody really know yet where Sub Zero is from yet.

Nov 7, 2017
Just got the last Erron Black brutality in a tower. You can only do 2/8 brutalities with him in his good variation including the uppercut one. so freaking lame.

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
That's only for Skarlet and Kitana. The other characters are acquired by different means.

Frost's is locked behind her level 3 character tower for example.
Skarlet, Kitana and Kabal are the only maskless you can get from the shrines. Jade is from her first Character Tower. Scorpion and Frost are from their 3rd Tower. Nobody really know yet where Sub Zero is from yet.

Oh, I've just been trying for Skarlet and Kitana, so I guess I just assumed that's how they all were.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I finally got the actual groove of Erron Black's bnb stock combos! Holy shit! I feel like I was missing the down jab after the juggle so much.

I hope NRS doesn't nerf him too hard in the inevitable balance patch, he's fun. For those who play him, are any of his revolver normals/strings actually useful?

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I got a notification when I started the game that said to check notifications

did some googling and it seems it's because the gift came way later on Switch so it's still active.
Oh, you're on Switch. Yeah, that's why. I pre-ordered the game on PS4 but wasn't able to play it until the 7th, so I missed the gift deadline by a day.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I just had someone go find their mic, plug it in, and chew me out for being a "coward" and using my "little guys" (I was using Johnny's Stunt Double ability in Kasual). He then said "I'm not going to match you again because you are going to keep on losing" (I had won every round). It was the funniest thing I have encountered in years. I miss that kind of shit.

Godspeed, Shuichi_Saihara5! I hope you recover from your salt overdose...

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Now imagine actually needing to do it in online play... It's such a poorly thought out addition for a game where online play is a big focus, they basically created a mechanic that is critical to competitive play but practically unusable online or for the majority of players.

They really should increase the window for flawless block and lessen the reward you get from it.

I have no problems doing Flawless Block online during strings where there are gaps. I can even Flawless Block some projectiles in a good connection. But that doesn't really matter because it's meant to be a high level mechanic.

Not everything in the game needs to be balanced around casual online play. That's actually one of the biggest issues with SC6 right now. Casual players aren't going to Flawless Block online even if it was easy (unless you can do it by accident), just like most of them don't use the Block button unless forced to.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, the tournament stage getting different backgrounds based on the tournament running at the time is awesome

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I have no problems doing Flawless Block online during strings where there are gaps. I can even Flawless Block some projectiles in a good connection. But that doesn't really matter because it's meant to be a high level mechanic.

Not everything in the game needs to be balanced around casual online play. That's actually one of the biggest issues with SC6 right now. Casual players aren't going to Flawless Block online even if it was easy (unless you can do it by accident), just like most of them don't use the Block button unless forced to.
There's a difference between "casuals can't use this because it's hard" and "this is unusable because even a variation of 1 or 2 frames is enough to screw it up, regardless of how much you practiced it or printed the timing into your memory".

Projectiles are the easiest thing to use it on because they make it just like timing your press to an upcoming note in a rhythm game, yet even this can be screwed up with unperceived variation in the delay during an online match.

It's understandable when you opt out of a tight combo in online play because it requires strict timing, and there's already a lot of that in MK, but that's ultimately just a small difference in damage. With FB they designed a mechanic critical enough for gameplay to completely change some matchups, making some super safe strings punishable, yet this mechanic can be unusable in online play even during connections the game flag as excellent!

Oh shit, the tournament stage getting different backgrounds based on the tournament running at the time is awesome

Those are some sexy variations!

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017

SFV has done this the last few years, its pretty cool but you get people complaining that it is the same stage every time. I guess it makes sense as to why the interactables are random on the tournament, gotta mix things up.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
SFV has done this the last few years, its pretty cool but you get people complaining that it is the same stage every time. I guess it makes sense as to why the interactables are random on the tournament, gotta mix things up.

SFV did it recently but with negative reaction. With Dhalsim's baby skull neckless sponsoring a tournament.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
So I've finally decided to start practicing for Online and serious play. I wanted to play Jax but I really don't enjoy his neutral very much. Its all f33 or F2 into overhead arm heat up and not much in between until you can push them to the corner.

Having a bit of a crisis.

I wanna try Raiden and really like his neutral options but apparently he's trash, especially the variation I want to use. And I don't wanna start using Jaqui because she's good and might teach me bad habits. Maybe Liu Kang?

Any tips? For reference I played Displacer Raiden and Dualist Kang in MKX(Very different games so this might not help much.)

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
So I've finally decided to start practicing for Online and serious play. I wanted to play Jax but I really don't enjoy his neutral very much. Its all f33 or F2 into overhead arm heat up and not much in between until you can push them to the corner.

Having a bit of a crisis.

I wanna try Raiden and really like his neutral options but apparently he's trash, especially the variation I want to use. And I don't wanna start using Jaqui because she's good and might teach me bad habits. Maybe Liu Kang?

Any tips? For reference I played Displacer Raiden and Dualist Kang in MKX(Very different games so this might not help much.)

If you're used to a variation like Duelist I dont see why you wouldn't give Raiden a shot at least. Game is still in its infancy so god only knows what's going to change.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Every character is trash until an actual good player uses them and exposes the usual tier whores that can't compete without a character carrying them.

The Summit opened people's eyes to Jacqui and Cassie, Combo Breaker will be even more interesting.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
If you're used to a variation like Duelist I dont see why you wouldn't give Raiden a shot at least. Game is still in its infancy so god only knows what's going to change.
Yeah youre right. I stuck with Dualist just because the idea was so cool despite the fact he was trash. Honestly don't know why I'm having such character choice paralysis with MK11. Never happens to me with other games lol. Oh well, Gonna try out that trash Raiden variation and see it how feels.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Wow...I wanted to capture a clip of the horrendous framerate during a fight and @ NRS and/or Ed Boon about this horrible performance. All I get is a message saying "Videos cannot be captured for this software"...guess they don't want people to share that the Switch version runs like ass.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow...I wanted to capture a clip of the horrendous framerate during a fight and @ NRS and/or Ed Boon about this horrible performance. All I get is a message saying "Videos cannot be captured for this software"...guess they don't want people to share that the Switch version runs like ass.
I think a couple games actually disable video capture in order to boost performance. Frees up some resources that are otherwise being used in the background, albeit I can't say how much of an impact it has in the first place.

Feb 4, 2018
Honestly half the allure to playing all of the characters is hearing all the wacky stuff they say to each other. Scorpion's melodramatic relationship advice never gets old.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017

Oh I feel you... would be great to show people how bad this version is

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone made a list of the "official" costume/gear combos used in story mode? I'm trying to make proper non-revenant versions of Liu Kang and company but it's hard to discern some of the accessories from screenshots. I know I can just make my own looks up, but I'm so overwhelmed by all of the options that I'd rather not have to worry about it.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the story mode. Some pretty cool moments but it's pretty meh. Was more invested in MK9 and MKX stories. Then did the novice tower to get Jax's ending. Completed Towers of Time tutorials and did one Tower. I'm sure I'll do a bunch more towers. Not sure when I'll go online

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the story mode. Some pretty cool moments but it's pretty meh. Was more invested in MK9 and MKX stories. Then did the novice tower to get Jax's ending. Completed Towers of Time tutorials and did one Tower. I'm sure I'll do a bunch more towers. Not sure when I'll go online
I remember when I thought this too