• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 40604

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 3, 2018
Between playing about 25 games online the other day and the new video from Core-A gaming that kinda sums up the fundamentals real well, I'm very interested in improving my gameplay to play at a competitive level.

If y'all wouldn't mind indulging me a few very scrubby questions:

- I need a refresher on the definition of a 50/50 -- to my mind, it kinda sounds like it's an option select, but it's been a good long time since an option select was actually well articulated for me so I'm kinda at a loss at determining what folks mean as a 50/50. I vaguely remember an option select meaning that you force your opponent into a situation where a counter-attack is technically possible but there's an option that's just as viable that would punish a counter-attack -- basically, putting your opponent in a situation where you give them an opportunity to respond but you're also prepared to play your own hand to trump their response that will continue the momentum of your attack or pressure. Anyway, I'm a bit uncertain and hazy on both 50/50 and option select.

- I suck at taking advantage of my defense meter and need to incorporate it more. I know that direction+face button immediately upon block does the block punish attacks but what were the inputs for wake-up counterattacks and the get-up rolls? I know holding L2 or R2 will be the long laydown. I played the tutorial on day 1 and haven't really looked back... But I am noticing I'm getting stuffed by defensive tools in online a lot but I've completely forgotten how to do them myself.

You have option select wrong. An option select simply means that you can input certain motions quickly and depending on what your opponent does one of two or more possibilities come out. In Street Fighter there are situations where you can press punch and kick at the same time and if you will either hit your opponent, or if they try to grab you, you tech the throw. It's just a way of inputting things yourself that covers more than one outcome due to the way the inputs work in the game.

A 50/50 is what you described. It's when you put your opponent in the situation where they have to guess what you are going to do and if they guess wrong they are going to get hit. Some characters in MK have strings where the first two hits are the same but you can choose between an overhead or low on the final hit. Your opponent has to guess and block low or high.

In this game some of the best characters have 50/50's on the first hit of a string. So they have to guess on wake up. Sub Zero for example has a string that starts low and one that starts with an overhead. So it's a true 50/50 in that your opponent has to guess whether to block low or high. If they guess wrong they get hit no matter what. Usually one option is really unsafe on block as a reward for you guessing correctly.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Another Erron Black. Same combos. Same stupid overhead that turns into a low if you block and pushes you back.

Guy mercy'd me and then spammed the overhead kick again and again. I hate them.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
It gives fatal blow at the beginning of a match. However, the gauntlet on floor 15 or so has a bunch of towers, I think 6, that you need this konsumable to beat. I wouldn't recommend using them until you've completed those towers or you have more than a half dozen.
They're just random drops from tower rewards or can I find some in the Krypt? Ideally I'd like to farm them some how now that I know what they do.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You have option select wrong. An option select simply means that you can input certain motions quickly and depending on what your opponent does one of two or more possibilities come out. In Street Fighter there are situations where you can press punch and kick at the same time and if you will either hit your opponent, or if they try to grab you, you tech the throw. It's just a way of inputting things yourself that covers more than one outcome due to the way the inputs work in the game.

A 50/50 is what you described. It's when you put your opponent in the situation where they have to guess what you are going to do and if they guess wrong they are going to get hit. Some characters in MK have strings where the first two hits are the same but you can choose between an overhead or low on the final hit. Your opponent has to guess and block low or high.

In this game some of the best characters have 50/50's on the first hit of a string. So they have to guess on wake up. Sub Zero for example has a string that starts low and one that starts with an overhead. So it's a true 50/50 in that your opponent has to guess whether to block low or high. If they guess wrong they get hit no matter what. Usually one option is really unsafe on block as a reward for you guessing correctly.

The clarification is much appreciated, thank you!!

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
b0g1anm6ctx21.jpg

I'm fucking dead, send help.

Oct 25, 2017
was the final boss supposed to be a self parody or something because it seemed like the only effective way to beat her was to uppercut a lot because it would actually work and EX attacks and fatal blows and grabs and comboes really did not

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Breh, why does Sonya the rushdown 50/50 queen have one of the best projectile in the game

Deimo5

Oct 25, 2017
I have 39 skip fight tokens, 67 easy fatality tokens and 0 gear level up tokens. Is there something particular to get gear level ups?

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
So far i've been having a blast watching competitve MK11, and i think it will only get better as they fine tune the game with patches.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
In addition to just liking her visual design (I was a druid main when I used to play WoW, and she feels very evocative of that style), seeing Dragon play Cetrion in the Summit of Time is making me wanna pick her up. I know Dragon's got a lot of skill going into play to compensate for Cetrion's perceived weaknesses right now, but damn what a cool character IMO.

Jan 26, 2019
England
In the Era MK Discord I've started streaming matches (via PS4 Pro) every now and then. We did one long KOTH last night but I didn't realise I could just tick a box to archive it, so it is lost like tears in the rain.

Now I've done so so I can store future matches. Me and SinkFla scrubbed it up for an hour here. Come join, it's fun. The first dew matches were pretty laggy (mostly due to uk-us connection) but it improves later on.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finally getting the hang of Jade and feeling comfortable playing with her. Also unlocked a brutality which is quite possibly my favourite so far.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Finally getting the hang of Jade and feeling comfortable playing with her. Also unlocked a brutality which is quite possibly my favourite so far.

"What would Mileena do?" is a great name :P

In the Era MK Discord I've started streaming matches (via PS4 Pro) every now and then. We did one long KOTH last night but I didn't realise I could just tick a box to archive it, so it is lost like tears in the rain.

Now I've done so so I can store future matches. Me and SinkFla scrubbed it up for an hour here. Come join, it's fun. The first dew matches were pretty laggy (mostly due to uk-us connection) but it improves later on.

I'll try to join later if you guys do it again today!

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Just discovered an unpleasant fact, tower progression isn't saved. I basically got to the second to last fight in a summoned tower and lost all my progress due to the game hard locking while performing a fatality. Wasted consumables too.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017

How often are these going down? Drop some info here because I feel there's a few that don't use discord

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon and SonicFox could just commentate their own matches, damn. Absolutely incredible to hear them talk about everything is great

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
was the final boss supposed to be a self parody or something because it seemed like the only effective way to beat her was to uppercut a lot because it would actually work and EX attacks and fatal blows and grabs and comboes really did not

MK bosses are always designed with bullshit like that. They don't follow the rules and it leads to awkward feeling fights because of it. It makes the fights with them feel broken and clunky as hell because the mechanics of the game simply dont apply to them.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
I've only caught bits and pieces of it, but this BTS tourney's been real fun. Love the cozy venue, love the presentation, love the breadth of character picks.

I'm fuckin dying to have time to really dig into this. Game's been out for like 3 weeks and I've personally played maybe 10 hours, most of which has gone into story mode and krypt looting. My poor AI Noob needs a break from farming endless towers. :(

Dec 13, 2017
Am I the only one who has this issue with amplify moves not coming out when netplaying? I swear I'm hitting the button but I keep getting the normal version.