• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
What are the consensus best characters so far?
I hear some chatter about Erron Black and some are saying Sonya is nuts.

SonicFox is damn lucky lol. Yeah he's the best but always helpful when your characters are amazing.

Also heating D'Vorah sucks

SonicFox won the Season 1 ESL Pro League in MKX with Kitana when she was widely considered to be low tier. Erron looking good is likely just down to how good SonicFox is with him. He just won a tournament a few days ago. Interestingly, the most popular character in that tournament seemed to be the Kollector.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so burned out from the krypt grind I don't even wanna play right now burned Kabal was worth it and I think I have 7-10 skins for every character now but the grind in this game is fucking insane.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Wow, the Switch patch changed a lot. I was working up to a certain number of punches and throws in the character towers and they dropped the number significantly. Also, my gear can use augments so they adjusted that too. Great to know.

Question about brutalities: does it tell you the requirements for them somewhere (for the ones you have) or do you have to figure them out?

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonya I feel is the best character in the game right now. But I'm preferring Cassie for some reason. But Sonya is THE one to beat.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so burned out from the krypt grind I don't even wanna play right now burned Kabal was worth it and I think I have 7-10 skins for every character now but the grind in this game is fucking insane.
Yeah, the grind gets ridiculous. Who decided that you needed to do 50 fatalities on every single character in the cast?

Last edited:

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the grnd gets ridiculous. Who decided that you needed to do 50 fatalities on every single character in the cast?

I did that last night and found out the reward was a stupid undead skin for Kabal I was so fucking mad. This is one of the most grindy games I have ever played and I've been playing MMOs since 2001.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just wondering :

I player a lot of fighting games in my live (spend a lot of time with sf 2, mk 1 - 3, ki 1, ki (2) gold, tekkens... and more)
Yet with this mk doing combo's, it often fails.

I mean for instance if you take scorpion as example (switch) :
-> A, -> X, Hell Port

This will only be executed when you press all those inputs at once before the combo starts, this is crazy and totally screwed.
When doing it on time based, it almost never works. Same with throwing a spear won't work that well.

I've already disabled the release check option & time window is set to long. The issue remains.

What's up with this?
Why does it work so bad?
(doing a hell port without combos works every time.)

Thanks

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, it's stupid as hell how often these towers just outright restrict use of the assist konsumables.

You get put up against a bunch of AI spamming buddies every three seconds but can't do it yourself, nope, too powerful. Even though you only have a limited amount anyway.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Need way more of this in this thread! Anymore kharacters/outfits to share?

I also thought this Cetrion skin and its detail was amazing. :)

46775225145_f21a6cfc4b_o.png

46775224925_eefd46bca3_o.png

46775225345_aa97c3e034_o.png

33842628108_fc13bfcd81_o.png

47719592521_b85faf7244_o.png

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Question regarding the Xbox One X version:
It seems like when starting the game, the Xbox enables HDR but my TV does not show the typical HDR symbol. Is MK11 using some fake HDR here and why is it so dark in general? Even when I disable HDR in the game, it stays as dark. I need to disable HDR on the Xbox to get it as bright as other games.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
This just feels like a poorly designed game all around, outside of the core gameplay. The gear system is worse than Injustice. It feels more complicated overall but you barely even notice the cosmetic differences. Your character's look is basically determined entirely by the skin you choose. Everything feels like a big step back from Injustice 2.

All of the currencies seem fucking pointless. I've finished the story and feel little to no desire to customize characters, especially given the shitty progression systems. I'll spend some more time in the towers and such, but as a person not interested in doing a lot of versus online, it feels like I'm gonna bounce off this real fast.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling the urge to pick this up, but the grinding complaints concern me. Is any of the necessary if I just want to hop online and beat people up or are all the rewards cosmetic?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This just feels like a poorly designed game all around, outside of the core gameplay. The gear system is worse than Injustice. It feels more complicated overall but you barely even notice the cosmetic differences. Your character's look is basically determined entirely by the skin you choose. Everything feels like a big step back from Injustice 2.

All of the currencies seem fucking pointless. I've finished the story and feel little to no desire to customize characters, especially given the shitty progression systems. I'll spend some more time in the towers and such, but as a person not interested in doing a lot of versus online, it feels like I'm gonna bounce off this real fast.
If you're not into customization (which most would disagree and say this is very well done) what would have kept you interested lol?

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
How does one actually get more konsumables items. Just finished the tutorial and tried doing Basic forms tower and couldn't get passed the boss because I don't have any useful items.
What exactly is the different between Klassic Towers and Towers of Time?

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
How does one actually get more konsumables items. Just finished the tutorial and tried doing Basic forms tower and couldn't get passed the boss because I don't have any useful items.
if you are on pc dont bother with towers yet, difficulty not adjusted. (early next week)
if you are on console: make noobsaibot loadout with sickle pull and 2x teleports, make ai behavior 30 combos and 30 reversal and let AI finish all the towers by himself while you watch tv or smth

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
If you're not into customization (which most would disagree and say this is very well done) what would have kept you interested lol?

I don't know if most would disagree. The customization features are a pretty big step back from Injustice 2. The way augments are earned and utilized is bad, the way gear and skins are earned is bad, the menus that handle these systems are bad... I'm not sure which part of the feature is actually good.

Most everything about customization and progression (other than the wack menus) hinged on Towers of Time and Krypt being solid, well-designed features; the Towers of Time is one of the worst designed pieces of content I've ever seen put in a fighting game. It'll take weeks for it to be patched into something resembling balanced (a level of support I do not expect NRS to put forward), and I don't think any amount of patches will make it fun since that would require an entire overhaul. The Krypt is hobbled both by how fucked the Towers of Time wound up and by the decision to randomize the placement of the majority of chests, so it's basically just the old Krypt concept from MKX but worse. I imagine nearly every person goes into the Krypt wanting and trying to enjoy it, but ultimately everyone gets the pleasure of spending coins to open a chest with a single variation icon in it, or wastes a shit load of currency trying to solve the mobile game riddle that is their Forge system.

I really like the core fighting system of this game; it's a big step up from their previous games in my opinion, with Fatal Blows being the only standout feature that I don't think worked that well. Most other elements of the game feel like they brought into existence by a monkey's paw wish.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
if you are on pc dont bother with towers yet, difficulty not adjusted. (early next week)
if you are on console: make noobsaibot loadout with sickle pull and 2x teleports, make ai behavior 30 combos and 30 reversal and let AI finish all the towers by himself while you watch tv or smth

You mean the sickle port and the air jump port?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If I could tweak fatal blows, I'd make them shorter and not cutscenes, like a super in old SF games. But I get it. It has good casual appeal to feel cool and comeback while getting your ass beat.

Edit: And it probably won't be as big of a deal once the meta develops.

Last edited:

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
If I could tweak fatal blows, I'd make them shorter and not cutscenes, like a super in old SF games. But I get it. It has good casual appeal to feel cool and comeback while getting your ass beat.

Yeah that's my biggest issue with them. They really take way too long to execute, and you are pretty much guaranteed to see at least one every game. If they were going to ape a feature from Tekken 7 I wish they'd picked Rage Drives (given each character a core move they could super-amplify) instead of Rage Arts.

Catspit

Oct 27, 2017
There has been so much complaining about the grind for this game /w cosmetic items.. there were some complaints when Overwatch came out (and that's loot boxes) but not nearly as the outrage with this game. Its cosmetics.... if you want them, grind for it.. if not.. don't... maybe that's just me.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
There has been so much complaining about the grind for this game /w cosmetic items.. there were some complaints when Overwatch came out (and that's loot boxes) but not nearly as the outrage with this game. Its cosmetics.... if you want them, grind for it.. if not.. don't... maybe that's just me.
main problem is RNG part of grind, there is no guarantee you get what you want even if you grind

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Switch gameplay and holy crap, dat downgrade. The Krypt suffered the most. Major oof.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
fun fact: when you unlock entire krypt you get ~1/6th of all items for all your characters.

read it again. 1/6th.

where the fuck is the other 5/6 nobody knows

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nice graphical analysis by GamingBolt:

I usually prefer Digital Foundry, but their tech review felt rushed and incomplete this time. It imo didn't do the technical and artistical achievement of this game justice. It is imo the most beautiful fighting game yet and one of the most beautiful games of this gen in general.