• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah some of them are legit awful. especially the strategy ones. They don't adequately convey the timing needed at all. Now to mention some of them are straight up buggy and the demos don't even perform the combo right.

Watching the AI demo drop a combo was something I've never seen in a fighting game before and it was fucking surreal. Like watching a magic trick go wrong or something

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I think they want you to spend time instead of money. Max explained it best. It's to give investors stats on how much time people are spending on their games.

nice avatar btw

Playtime is only ever worthwhile to devs if it leads to mtx purchases. Gaas stress playtime because the more time you spend the more they hope you'll buy a mtx.

The end goal is always cash not anything else.

Anyways I just dropped in this thread from the DF Mk11 vid. It looks like it's mostly complaining here which is a bit disheartening, but I'd say the majority of game OT's do go that way so *shrug*. Hard to say what it means.

I did want to complain though about how dark the series graphics have gotten. I wish they go all bright colors like say Mk II, so these visuals could really shine.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Playtime is only ever worthwhile to devs if it leads to mtx purchases. Gaas stress playtime because the more time you spend the more they hope you'll buy a mtx.

Anyways I just dropped in this thread from the DF Mk11 vid. It looks like it's mostly complaining here which is a bit disheartening, but I'd say the majority of game OT's do go that way so *shrug*. Hard to say what it means.

I did want to complain though about how dark the series graphics have gotten. I wish they go all bright colors like say Mk II, so these visuals could really shine.
It makes you wonder, "Why the hell can't we just buy what we want?"

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
If this is the way Injustice 2 was I can't believe people didn't make as much noise then. This progression is absurd compared to literally any other MK. Even Armageddon with it's 6 or 8 currencies wasn't a slog like this game.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

Exactly. Hence "time saver" DLC.

It's unfortunate because the pre-release thread was super positive, and a lot of those posters carried over here, but are just frustrated with the progression system/mtx.

Hopefully, if NRS reps perused the previous thread and this, they'll see a lot of posters have been on board since announcement, and it's not all people who came in here just to dump on it.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Really hope they release more classic stages...the Raiden and Liu Kang flash back during story mode was such a tease.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's bought the majority of the MK games that have come out in the past 20 years, I have to wonder what if the fuck they were thinking with this Iteration when it comes to gear/unlockables.

How did we go from paying $20 to unlock the entire Krypt/costumes/brutalities/etc to $5 for a fucking skin colour scheme and having to dealing with useless loot/rng.

They really screwed the pooch with this one.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Credits just rolled on the story mode, not sure what to jump into next! Overall I thought it was really good.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
If this is the way Injustice 2 was I can't believe people didn't make as much noise then. This progression is absurd compared to literally any other MK. Even Armageddon with it's 6 or 8 currencies wasn't a slog like this game.

I think there was noise, but MK just has a much bigger userbase.
It was pretty loud on Reddit.

Inj2 at least dropped gear all the time and the multiverses weren't infested with all the ridiculous modifiers and currencies to the extent of this game. It was much more straightforward in Inj2. So, I guess it was quieter in that regard, but abilities in lootboxes sucked.

Can't believe I'm wishing we got that system back. (at least in terms of gear).

Oct 26, 2017
I kind of wish there was a way to track how many fatalities/brutalities that you've done to specific characters. It's a strange stat to have in your game, but it's the only way to keep track of how many more fatals/brutals you need to unlock the "Character's Head" item for the Krypt.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, did you play Injustice 2?

It seems like a lot of players frustrated with having to do this in MK have not experienced that making their games a time sink like this is kind of their thing now. Running AIs was pretty much a necessity in that game. Not that that was fun or good, but just sayin.

I'm guessing a lot of MK's audience skip the Injustice series.

IJ2 had a grind that at least felt like it was "rewarding" you for participating, never mind the tedium of deleting full inventories and frustration of not getting specific character gear and special moves. I would say that out of the gate, they were also able to satisfy many players' cosmetic desires since it rained gear and there were plentiful color shaders to make your hero look cool to you.

The rare stuff you couldn't get without RNG gods blessing you was part of the chase/time sink, but to many, didn't make the game "feel" unfun--though whether grind is fun or acceptable is another matter entirely.

This is speculation on my part, but this approach probably did not net them as much in-game currency sales/recurrent spending as their shareholders would have liked.

In comparison, MK11 has a very punishing grind that brings to light the various mobile game design practices NRS have been using to engage the player in their games. In short, everything outside of the core fighting experience has been meticulously designed to keep players in the game as well as direct them to do something that will ultimately lead a percentage of players/whales to spend real money.

The high difficulty tower modifiers are very intentional and not a bug. That's why Skip Fight tokens exist in a fighting game. As soon as they can turn on the store's ability to buy Skip Fight tokens, the more they can sell those $5.00 - $39.99 bundles of Time Krystals.

Next week's patch will be interesting for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like no costumes/gear should be locked to Towers. Nobody should feel forced to play that shit until its properly tuned. And even then, the AI is never gonna be fun to fight until there's serious advancements in fighting game AI.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
IJ2 had a grind that at least felt like it was "rewarding" you for participating, never mind the tedium of deleting full inventories and frustration of not getting specific character gear and special moves. I would say that out of the gate, they were also able to satisfy many players' cosmetic needs since it rained gear and there were plentiful color shaders to make your hero look cool to you.

Yeah, I do agree with that.

Wow, I'm actually surprised they didn't just tell everyone to shut it down after Boon's tweet and they actually pushed Boon/WB to elaborate.
This actually seemed like a reasonable discussion of the surrounding issues and that mtx calculation.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like no costumes/gear should be locked to Towers. Nobody should feel forced to play that shit until its properly tuned. And even then, the AI is never gonna be fun to fight until there's serious advancements in fighting game AI.

I think at the very least the base color of each costume variant should be relatively easy to unlock or find in the Krypt via fixed locations.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There just needs to be a random chance of getting cosmetics at least after every match, or at least every tower. Throw in a bone to always look forward to in that long ass slog of towers we gotta work through just to get the guaranteed cosmetic at the end.

Solely waiting for the cosmetic you want to appear in a tower or in the shop or accumulating the koins to test your luck in the Krypt ain't it.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel people wanted was non RNG Krypt. Id have the skins I wanted for character I actually play and wouldn't be leaving frustrated more often than not because I keep getting variation icons.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Funny that in the IGN video one of the guys that is acting so cocky after getting told by Ed Boon to fact check before spreading Fake News is the same guy who rushed out his RE2 Remake review with a lower score because he forgot to play half the game.

Fact checking is indeed important.

Nov 18, 2017
The prospect of grinding in Towers of Time and entering the Krypt to claim rewards is a strong SP gameplay loop to give the title longevity. I'm looking forward to exploring it, so long as they balance it right I'm all for it. The 100,000 starting koins helped demonstrate the loop.

DLC announcement when? Also hope they give us lots of classic stages and outfits. The pit is practically in there already.

Malalaw

Oct 25, 2017
Louisiana
Did 75% of Jade's life then the entire thing went to gimmicky hell. So frustrating. They really need to let you use konsumables here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Not sure what you're on about but the series has rarely ever been that colorful ...

2E9e3WI.jpg

NG4jnLU.jpg

HKjC4xa.jpg

YU1S9qe.jpg

There are some dark places, and some colorful ones, it's not bland at all and there's a lot of variety actually.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Huh? I avoided MK all these years, because its art style was too unappealing, too gritty and too dark for me, MK11 changed that up quite a bit. Beautiful art style, often very fantasy-like in terms of character design and stages and often very colorful and vibrant.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Funny that in the IGN video one of the guys that is acting so cocky after getting told by Ed Boon to fact check before spreading Fake News is the same guy who rushed out his RE2 Remake review with a lower score because he forgot to play half the game.

Fact checking is indeed important.
Ironic, I could say the same to you. He didn't "forget to play half the game", more like missed out on maybe 10% content and the end "boss"/end cutscene because he accidentally choose a different option in the main menu when replaying it. People jumping at his throat hadn't played the game yet and didn't know that A and B scenarios were not like they were in the original game, and playing A with each character still lets you play their unique areas, weapons, and bosses.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I think this is actually worse than Injustice 2 was. I don't remember injustice having all of the dumb consumables and icons being thrown into the loot pool. There's way more trash items in MK11

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
The win with brutalities gauntlet tower is fookin bullshit
Yeah, this one is pissing me off. I met the requirements as far as I could tell and nothing registered. What the hell am I missing?!
For what it's worth, it's really easy with Sub-Zero. Just finish the fight with an amplified slide and press towards the enemy three times. Easy to do as a single hit or end of combo. If you get the Krushing Blow as you win the fight just Mercy him and do it again.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Injustice 2 had more fair towers but actually had lootboxes.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what you're on about but the series has rarely ever been that colorful ...

2E9e3WI.jpg

NG4jnLU.jpg

HKjC4xa.jpg

YU1S9qe.jpg

There are some dark places, and some colorful ones, it's not bland at all and there's a lot of variety actually.
Yea my memory of MKX is alot of black,grey or brown with some occasional green glowing spread about

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Went back to watch Kenny aka unrooolie do the Tutorials and he also struggled with the Advanced part. Thought it was just me but the timing is way too strict especially for the later kombos. I'm still stuck in the projectile/zoning one cuz it just won't accept my timing even tho my Raiden is doing all the moves. So annoying.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like some of the stages are too dark or cluttered, resulting in characters blending into the backgroud. It's very apparent from the images above

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I've done 45 towers, used a few healing Consumables and a few attack ones that I had a ton of. But I'm still finding towers that I don't have a single consumable. They really need to change this nonesnes. There needs to be a way to go and get a consumable you need for a given tower!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I've done 45 towers, used a few healing Consumables and a few attack ones that I had a ton of. But I'm still finding towers that I don't have a single consumable. They really need to change this nonesnes. There needs to be a way to go and get a consumable you need for a given tower!
Dont you get some from krypt chests?

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
anybody wanna do the Jade ToT on ps4?

I'm not that great.

People are not tagging themselves in when the other guy is low on the health online, lol.

Gonna regenerate that health!

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
So we're still due for a second Towers of Time nerf right? Because god damn it, putting so much of the game into a mode that is just literal bullshit to fuck you over is endlessly frustrating.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know the input for Sub-Zero's second fatality? I've looked it up and it doesn't seem to work. Last one I need for all the fatality achievements.