• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Got up to a 16 win streak on KOTH before the last guy finally left, I was trying to quit out at that point but it doesn't let you lol. Oh well, thankfully they left, now I'm free.

I'm EU, we can play if you want.

You can't go against people with really bad connections you know. But the netcode itself is beyond top tier.
Really feels like offline with two connections that are at least okay.

The bad matches I've had so far were some wifi dudes, and some russian dudes. Like usually the matches are perfect or they're awful, nothing in the middle so it's easy to just stop playing the bad ones.
Yeah, I mean, those KOTH matches felt great, I guess I just needed to get used to the feel of online, I've been playing offline only these last few days, so I wasn't used to it.

And sure, you can PM your online ID if you want to play. (On PS4 btw).

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Thought about running the PC version on something a bit lower-end than my normal rig, the dynamic res option in story mode seems a bit fucked on a weaker PC:

vwaG0K3.jpg

E: Actually it's not just story mode it just seems to be for the entire game if you're running it on something weak

Last edited:

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I have a couple of questions, I'm interested but want to get a better idea before I take the plunge.

How technically demanding and complex is it? Will I get smashed online without serious practice and commitment? I like Dead or Alive because its pretty easy to pick up and play.

Hows the online experience?

Seen a little about the Krypt and grind, how intrusive is it? Are they fixing it?

Any responses would be appreciated, thanks.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They have got to be kidding! D: I am in Kotal's second Time Tower and they want 75 additional fatalities and 75 additional brutalites before I can progress. This will take weeks.
Please tell me this will be one of the fixes for next week.

Seen a little about the Krypt and grind, how intrusive is it? Are they fixing it?

It's incredibly grindy and they don't seem to be fixing anything in the Krypt itself. If you plan to unlock lots of stuff be prepared to grind for weeks and months. Oh, and you need lots of luck, because most chest contents are random. Basically one giant lootbox.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I have a couple of questions, I'm interested but want to get a better idea before I take the plunge.

How technically demanding and complex is it? Will I get smashed online without serious practice and commitment? I like Dead or Alive because its pretty easy to pick up and play.

MK is one of the more casual fighting games out there, with much wider appeal than something like Street Fighter. You'll do fine online with a bit of practice, even just skills gained from playing towers (arcade mode equivalent). There's also a really in-depth tutorial if you want to go any further. Other than that, combos are real simple stuff. You can just take one simple 3 button string and end it with a special with most characters.

Online, haven't played it much on PC. Got one timeout in ranked trying to connect but played fine with someone in the lobbies over and over for about half an hour, lag free.

The Krypt is a pain in the arse. If you're a casual player, you probably won't unlock much out of it because you won't garner much currency, but they're giving everyone a bunch of free currency and then supposedly rebalancing the requirements for chests. We don't know the details yet. Just remember that the Krypt is all optional content, skins and the like. You can still enjoy the core of the game, the fighting, without even touching it.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Now quoting the right person. ;)

The Krypt is incredibly grindy and they don't seem to be fixing anything in the Krypt itself. If you plan to unlock lots of stuff be prepared to grind for weeks and months. Oh, and you need lots of luck, because most chest contents are random. Basically one giant lootbox.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Wait, you can't just select a costume in the character? They are seriously tied to custom variations with gear you collected? Really?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so bummed with how basically everything outside of the core story is set up. There's so much effort put into all of these skins, intros, etc. but the game fails so fucking bad at making even a remotely competent shell around obtaining it. The entire setup of the Krypt is abysmal. Konsumables are a straight up misfire at their very core design (the amount of towers that restrict the good assists are HILARIOUS), both in obtaining them and what they actually stop, which are basically ridiculous one sided gimmick fights that aren't remotely fun at all.

It's baffling, due to this really not being something pushing MTX. There's not really a way around these random ass hoops. Making towers easier does nothing to alleviate how the modifiers just suck.

There's an achievement for having 5 different character intros on, and another for 5 win poses. Both are at 0.01% right now. Considering that's a small piece of the cast, THAT'S the percent? Not only that, but seeing how many people are basically automating this and using AI battles for towers (ala IJ2), I imagine the small percent used a ton of that. I think you get one guaranteed at the end of a character tower, but the other ones seem to be lost in a flood of garbage konsumable and variation icon drops.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
They're meaning at character select like any other fighting game. Its dumb that they don't have the ability to pick a costume on the default variations via character select.
That will require a massive UI change to allow custom presets being changed on the fly. It won't come any sooner with them wasting time fixing the Towers.

Oct 28, 2017
That will require a massive UI change to allow custom presets being changed on the fly. It won't come any sooner with them wasting time fixing the Towers.

I just think they should have kept the two basic variations uneditable, with some standard costumes to pick from, to allow for use of some of the different customisation items. Also makes tournament play a bit of a pain in the arse, considering we have no true standard baked into the game that can't be touched.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who gets fighting games only for multiplayer/online matches, are characters all avialable from scratch or do i have to go through singleplayer stuff?

Taikeny

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who gets fighting games only for multiplayer/online matches, are characters all avialable from scratch or do i have to go through singleplayer stuff?
Frost needs to be unlocked through either single-player (clear chapter 4. Took me about an hour) or store purchase. Shao kahn is a pre order character, don't know if he is available for purchase right now

htp314

Oct 31, 2017
If I get this on pc and play in local mode, does this mean that player 2 is out of luck of choosing their own costume for their character like in Injustice 2? If so, that's some bullshit decision.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017

It's got a good tutorial mode (glitches aside) that describes its systems and fighting game concepts well enough.

If you've got your 2D basics down, you can go ahead and pick a character you like, do some training to learn their specials and some combo strings, then see how you fare against others. It's the first week of a new fighting game release, and a large mix of casual and experienced players are going to do the same. Like Dead or Alive, some characters are initially easier to feel comfortable with than others. You can have some fun without spending hours in the lab practicing, if that's what you're concerned about.

That said, NetherRealm Studios (NRS) games have a different "feel" to them compared to Capcom and SNK fighting games. They click with some, and not so well with others.

As for the grind... The grind is very real.

It's not exactly a F2P mobile game that tries to nickel-and-dime you for real money. Instead, you will pay with your time. This wouldn't be so bad if the things designed to keep you engaged weren't so convoluted and in a broken state.

Going beyond the fighting core of the game, to get the most reward out of the other modes, you're going to need a variety of in-game currency. This currency will unlock things that might give you what you want (beyond what's already available at the start).

For example: Let's say you fight in a Tower of Time (a series of fights, many of which are overtuned a bit too hard or are near-impossible). You'll want to do this if you want more "stuff". If you beat the tower, you'll get a variety of in-game currency, consumables, and things for one or more of the game's 25 characters. These might not be for the character you're using.

Upon doing a few tower fights, you're going to want to take your hard-earned currency and spend it in the Krypt. The Krypt is where the lootboxes majority of unlockable content is found.

The contents of the chests in the Krypt are supposedly fixed, but their placement is not. This prevents someone from mapping out the Krypt, sharing its contents, and saving you time, though there are thankfully some chests that don't follow this type of RNG.

After your initial Krypt trip, you'll come to realize that you don't have enough currency to unlock everything. That's by design, of course. Also, many times you will open up a chest to find that it has crap you don't care for, whether it's concept art, an icon, or stuff for a character you don't even play as.

Now do this process many times over. Fight. Loot. Repeat.

Better yet, use the in-game AI function to grind towers for you (as money of us have been doing), go watch Netflix, post on Era or something while your AI farms for gold. You can't fast forward AI fights, though the function does exist, as that would optimize your grinding time, but not be as engaging.

Mind you, if you don't care about character cosmetics (costumes and gear), flourishes (intros, taunts), and some in-game moves (brutalities), then this won't affect you at all. If you play story mode and complete up to the fourth chapter, you should have all 25 characters available to play with in local and online versus modes. Each character comes with 2 costumes by default, and completing all of the training and story modes will unlock a few more.

edit: 24 characters; Shao Kahn was a pre-order character and is $5.99.

Even without the grind, there's at least 20+ hours of fighting entertainment to be had here, more if you play with friends.

So this isn't quite a $60+ game with mobile game F2P microtransactions. It is, however, a $60+ game with mobile game F2P player engagement design. If that's a turnoff to you, you're not alone.

As to whether NRS is going to fix the grind? No. They've stated they're going to fix the difficulty of some of the more troubling tower modifiers that make them hard, and that they're going to increase the rewards you get from them, but the overall design of keeping you "engaged" for as much time as they can will remain.

I'll note that even if you were able to unlock every single chest in the Krypt right now, there's still a fair amount of stuff to grind for in the Towers of Time. Yay for player engagement.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I can't do anything with Kabal I've spent like 5 hours in the lab and I'm just not seeing how to connect any of his moves into combos.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It feels very unintuitive and a bit limiting for me. I've also never been one to complain about button motions but the back-forward motion is also throwing me off alot.

Yep. My success rate with back-forward motions is abysmal.

Even toggling every control option makes no difference. Negative Edge on/off, long/short timing, alt control scheme for half-circle motions... it feels downright impossible to reliably pull off when necessary.

There is a particular Raiden strategy tutorial that demands doing two EX motions back to back in one juggle. I think it took me 30 min to accomplish. By the end after finally connecting it proper, I nearly wanted to torch my PS4. The timing for registering the motion is too tight. It's not an enjoyable motion to use and this game feels like it is nothing but this motion across all fighters. I'll never successfully do anything like that again, or even want to attempt again! I was nothing but a ball of rage after that "tutorial" step.

Again I both appreciate and loathe playing this game.

Last edited:

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Any controller-set up suggestions for fight stick users (with L1/L2 plugged up)? Is default the way to go? I keep going back and forth with using the stick and a fight pad.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Is ranked matchmaking the same as it was in other NRS titles or does it match players if equal skill level this time?

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Are character towers retro active? I'm thinking of getting noobs second one but I don't wanna spend 10 years working on it.

Oct 27, 2017
Went out and bought a PowerA wired Switch controller after playing with my daughter for about an hour. I let her use my Pro controller and I was stuck using split joycons. I figured they'd let you use a single joycon on its side, but no dice. Wasn't a fun experience but I just played my first like 10 online matches with the PowerA and I'm really enjoying it. Seems like a better D-pad than the official Pro because it doesn't have the mushiness.

I haven't loved a fighter in a long-ass time but, despite how grindy that Noob Saibot tower is, I am really loving this game.

Oct 28, 2017
If I get this on pc and play in local mode, does this mean that player 2 is out of luck of choosing their own costume for their character like in Injustice 2? If so, that's some bullshit decision.

Good question. What happens if someone picks the same variation for the same character? I guess it'd just pick a random available colour for that variation for that costume, but I ain't sure.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for a fight pad?

My Xbox one pad I'm using on pc is a little clunky.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I choose the fast way of unlocking Frost by paying up, will it be shareable to other users on my PS4 or will it be tied to the account like a save file?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Something terrible has happened.

I think I got the spins.

Kabal just called Kung Lao "Dung Lao" and all of a sudden I'm playing him. It just happened. I don't know what to say.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
The tournament variations for alot of the characters feel really bad to me compared to what you can cook up in customization. I don't expect them to let people customize loadouts for tournies but I would have expected more characters to feel complete.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
LOL

The brutalities trophy is at 0.2%

Considering that this is just ONE of the requirements of character towers, I can't imagine how many people are rocking the intros and outros locked in this trash.

Pretty sure I'm one of the only ones that got Johnny's fandemonium (which should have been his default outro instead of green fart) so far.

KyouG

Oct 26, 2017
Does the MK community have character-focused Discord channels like Tekken does? I'm trying to find the hub for Frost information.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm sick of the Krypt now;

So I found Reptile in the Krypt and the game told me that I need to find and hit him with the hammer to get something. Looked up online where he is and it turns out that not only is Reptile invisible, but he appears in certain spots throughout the Krypt and switches between those spots RANDOMLY. Not only THAT, but you also need the blindfold to see him.

I also found out that I need to do this 50 brutals and fatals shit to get the heads for the Warrior Shrine which is also how you get Cetrion's amulet for the three amulet puzzle.

The non-stop gimmicks and bullshit requirements just to move on have finally caught up to me. I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long tbh.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
So I just figured out the default variations are NOT the ranked/tournament ones. That kinda blows because some of them are not my thing. E.g. I lost Noob's chain sickle so that cuts my BNB in half, so that's boring. Scorpion also has no variation that includes his demon rush etc.

I hate the gear/augmrnt shit (aside from visuals) but kinda wish I could run my own variation anywhere. If I want to play my own, I have to deal with all the extra bullshit on top.

Also, did they already drop the 500k compensations? Cause I don't have anything.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So I just figured out the default variations are NOT the ranked/tournament ones. That kinda blows because some of them are not my thing. E.g. I lost Noob's chain sickle so that cuts my BNB in half, so that's boring. Scorpion also has no variation that includes his demon rush etc.

I hate the gear/augmrnt shit (aside from visuals) but kinda wish I could run my own variation anywhere. If I want to play my own, I have to deal with all the extra bullshit on top.

Also, did they already drop the 500k compensations? Cause I don't have anything.
If you're on PC, we're still behind. I believe Switch is too.