• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Game finally here, now I wait for the damn thing to install... I actually look forward to PS5 now that I know likely installation and loading speeds will probably improve across the board.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this tutorial is great and I wonder why it took so long for games to break down frame data like this.

Still slightly confused but I'm sure I'll understand it the more I play.

TonyB

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
I don't understand frame data in this game
codJuri.jpg

+9 on hit and 7f startup? I should be able to link First Take infinitly as long as I don't get pushbacked (which I'm not if anything the move is pushing me forward) yet I can't do a single 2 hits combo by linking two First Take at all. Also the cancel advantage being 10 and hit advantage being 9 makes no sense to me. Canceling cuts the active frames past the one you cancelled and all the recovery. It should be 9 + 13 = 24

Hitstun is pretty unique in Mortal Kombat Kombo-able hitstun and "regular" hitstun (opponent can't move but can still block) are two separate preprogrammed states.
Generally only specials and dash cancellable strings leave the opponent in a hitstun where they can't block.

Subsequent hits in strings kombo just because its a string.

Cancel advantage is just the number of frames of recovery that are cut off when a move is cancelled.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to understand the tools they give us (frame data), stop with the "it's just mk man" it doesn't help in understanding how it works at all.
Idk why are you getting so hostile? I told you everything you needed to know lol why so angry? Just because I ended my helpful statement with "That's MK"? I mean its the truth. That's MK. I dont know what else you want from me lol

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
So I just noticed that the Switch version doesn't have the tournament presets. In the presets menu, there's less presets shown than other versions and none of them have the trophy icon.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I've just finished the story and I love it but the ending felt like a cop out.

The other games ended with a hint of what's to come

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I actually find the clickiness of the Xbox's dpad to be ideal for the type of inputs NRS games have, but that's just me.
Yeah, even the extra pad with the Elite isn't great. I noticed today trying to go through the tutorials that they really weren't good for the game.

I agree 😋

Just for me, personally, I think it might be either the placement or size of the d pad that bothers me.

I said this earlier but my 2 favorite and most used pads for fighters were SNES and Dualshock 2. So I think I prefer a bigger, mushier d pad for my fighters. Might be about button placement too

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but I expected a roster of at least 30. I mean, even Kof XIV has a crap ton of characters.
I do agree on everything else though, the game plays great and the net code is solid (and I'm playing it on the switch).

Kof14 has literally no single player bar a shitty arcade mode. Kofi 14 also has no intro or outro. Kof14 sold every costume.

And let's not mention the presentation....

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the first 4 chapters of story mode. So far it's a massive improvement over MKX's story mode which I found to be largely disappointing.

Now to spend some time in training with Frost.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but I expected a roster of at least 30. I mean, even Kof XIV has a crap ton of characters.
I do agree on everything else though, the game plays great and the net code is solid (and I'm playing it on the switch).
The amount of work that goes into a single MK11 character compared to any other fighting game is monumental. Each character has hundreds of lines of dialogue, intricate facial mapping, at least three on-disc costumes, and tons of customizable accessories. The character models themselves are also way more detailed than anything else the genre has to offer.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy doesn't know how to properly sent out digital codes on time. For example the MK11 Beta pre-order folks were supposed to get, Didn't even go out until the last day of the beta. Don't ever rely on Best Buy getting a pre-order digital code sent out in a reasonable time frame.

Whatever system they are using to generate codes is not working, and the support forums are doing fuck all to actually resolve this either.

I got a random weird email from Best Buy today that contained nothing in it. I'm assuming that was the code for the preorder bonus but they must have fucked it up. I picked my game up this afternoon and didn't get shit yet.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Outside of the fighting the game feels like a step back from X in just about every way for me right now. The Story's the worst of the modern MKs, the customisation's pathetic given you only get 2 pre-set loadouts, and the Krypt/grind is horrendous.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone else have a weird issue where a controller connected to the steam version isn't registering left or up moves on the analog stick? I'm using an Xbox One controller wirelessly

edit: having entered a match all my character constantly jumping bacwards, so there is something up with my left-up configuration

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any Best Buy purchasers (US) get their code for Shao Khan? I ordered the game a day before release but haven't gotten anything.

Is it an ongoing issue? If I were to contact someone, who should that be?

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone playing stick on PC? This control scheme is horrible and I need to know if anyone out there has a good layout.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Kof XIV looked like shit at launch and that's the trade off you got for launching with so many characters. SNK full well knew it too as they had to come back and essentially do a second pass on the visuals with a patch that came some time later after release.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Any Best Buy purchasers (US) get their code for Shao Khan? I ordered the game a day before release but haven't gotten anything.

Nah, we're all still waiting. Been an ongoing topic of discussion throughout the day within this thread.

I've had my ready for pickup email since I went to bed last night but trapped at work for 2 more hours before I can go pick it up. Still no Shao Kahn code. A few folks that reached out to Best Buy customer service say that customer service response is to give them up to 48 hours. Might be a bit.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

Would have to be Best Buy customer support. People have contacted them and they said they are working on sending out the codes

Many people having the same issue as you. I preordered it a few days before release still haven't got my code, and my game still hasn't shipped...should have went in-store pickup...

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up the story. Pretty good as always. Not looking forward to diving into the Towers, at least until things get rebalanced.