• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Story elements were good, track sounded lame, good they outright said "here's the unlockable characters" and got most of them outta the way. Looking forward to the game.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Just as MKX took place 25 years after the events of MK9. MK11 is an immediate follow up to the end of MKX. In fact the ending of MKX is basically the intro to MK11.

If there was no continuity in the story then it wouldn't make any sense.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Looks pretty cool, but I'm sick of NRS stories having something to do with time traveling/alternate universes. It was hard to take Kotal Kahn and Erron Black seriously in the last game, they kept jobbing to the Kombat Kids.

X had no time traveling or alternate universes. They showed events from the past and present but no one traveled through time.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
If i wanted to understand the Mortal Kombat story, what would be the site you guys recommend?

Keep in mind there is two timelines for Mortal Kombat.

The Old Timeline (MK 1 through Armageddon) and the New Timeline MK9, X, and 11)

MK9 is a retelling of the events of MK1,2 and 3 when Raiden sent his memories to his past self, hence the time reversal. Unfortunately the memories weren't very clear and were sent in fragmented pieces which lead to Raiden second guessing himself and being really, REALLY, REALLY dumb and making a crap ton of mistakes.

MKX takes place 25 years after MK9, there is also a official / canon comic book that covers a portion of the events that take place in between MK9 an X.

MK11 continues immediately where MKX ended and deals with the merging of the old and new timelines.

The official MK wiki is good source but it's very comprehensive and there is a ton of information, it can be very confusing to peruse.
https://mortalkombat.fandom.com/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_Wiki

I recommend simply playing the story modes of MK9 and MKX to get you up to speed. Or you could simply watch them as a movie on youtube.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We don't deserve good things.

I am so in love with Cage and Cassie. Why the F did Netherealm screwed up my Sonya with Ronda.?!!

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit everything looks amazing. I can't keep up with all the stuff we've gotten lmao. Kano looks and sounds amazing. His new VA is so much better than the other one, it's crazy. So hyped to see more of him. Cassie looks and sounds amazing. Was a bit bummed the old VA from MKX wasn't coming back but the new VA does a very good job and I honestly might like her more. Jacqui looks fucking AMAZING now. Holy shit what a glow up from MKX. There's so much new stuff in this trailer I honestly can't break it all down so quickly. Everything looks amazing, can't wait to see more.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
If i wanted to understand the Mortal Kombat story, what would be the site you guys recommend?

I'll give you a quick rundown.

9 - As Raiden is being defeated by Shao Khan he sends a message back to his past self. Past Raiden starts altering events to avoid the future he saw but it fucks up other things (Cyborg Smoke is prevented but it creates Cyber Sub-Zero). Liu becomes more and more distrusting of Raiden, Sindel kills half the heroes, Raiden says they have to lose in order for the Elder Gods to intervene and Liu's like "fuck that I'm beating Shao Khan now" and Raiden inadvertently kills him. Raiden loses, the Elder Gods punish Khan for breaking the rules of Mortal Kombat, and Earthrealm is saved.

X - At the end of MK9 it turns out that a lot of the behind the scenes stuff was done by Quan Chi acting for Shinnok. The game jumps between several time frames over 25 years to show the initial defeat of Shinnok by Johnny's green energy which is, like, Elder God energy that gets inherited by his and Sonya's daughter, Cassie. Quan Chi resurrects the people that fell during MK9 as Revenants, zombie minions under his controlz and some are able to come back to life because of it, like Jax, but some are left as Revenants, like Liu Kang and Kitana. As Outworld is infighting over the vacant throne Shinnok threatens all the realms. His corrupted amulets threatens everyone and he gets taken out by Cassie thanks to the green energy. Raiden is corrupted and starts threatening the other realms in a proactive protection of Earthrealm. Liu Kang and Kitana now rule Netherrealm and he sends them a message in the form of Shinnok's head.

11 - MK11 starts with the events that take place right before Raiden goes to Kitana and Liu but Kronika steps in to prevent it and alter history.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

1: I'm sad Ashley isn't Cassie in this
2: looool Cassie says GET OVER HERE
3: Uh I think that last interaction with Cassie/Raiden is spoilery
Cassie says Raiden cost her her mom, so Sonya might die early in the story mode?

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I'm glad they fixed Cassie's face !
Her new voice sounds really good too !
Too bad the French got it the end of the stick, Cassie sounds like a old woman in our dub, damn.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
If reptile is out itll just be so they can make a big deal out of him coming back in mk12 as a human

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
What does Injustice have to do with MK? They are two seperate franchises. While they are both developed by Netherrealm they aren't part of the same series.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
man from 9-10-11 it is WILD how now an MK game is one of my most hyped releases

story looks bonkers fun

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Real scummy locking Shao Kahn behind a pre order bonus when he's clearly in the story.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I hope this time we'll get to play as some jobbers from last game, like Erron Black, since he seems to still be with Kotal in the present timeline, while his past self is an enemy.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
What is the likelihood that we get Switch footage before release? I'll buy it there anyway but would like to see something from it.

Is it confirmed that QLOC is doing the port? They're listed under developers.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks they replaced Ash for Cassie, but the new voice is good as well.

BUT THEY FUCKING REPLACED KANO'S VOICE. AFTER ALL THESE YEARS WHAT THE FUCK.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind there is two timelines for Mortal Kombat.

The Old Timeline (MK 1 through Armageddon) and the New Timeline MK9, X, and 11)

MK9 is a retelling of the events of MK1,2 and 3 when Raiden sent his memories to his past self, hence the time reversal. Unfortunately the memories weren't very clear and were sent in fragmented pieces which lead to Raiden second guessing himself and being really, REALLY, REALLY dumb and making a crap ton of mistakes.

MKX takes place 25 years after MK9, there is also a official / canon comic book that covers a portion of the events that take place in between MK9 an X.

MK11 continues immediately where MKX ended and deals with the merging of the old and new timelines.

The official MK wiki is good source but it's very comprehensive and there is a ton of information, it can be very confusing to peruse.
https://mortalkombat.fandom.com/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_Wiki

I recommend simply playing the story modes of MK9 and MKX to get you up to speed. Or you could simply watch them as a movie on youtube.
I'll give you a quick rundown.

9 - As Raiden is being defeated by Shao Khan he sends a message back to his past self. Past Raiden starts altering events to avoid the future he saw but it fucks up other things (Cyborg Smoke is prevented but it creates Cyber Sub-Zero). Liu becomes more and more distrusting of Raiden, Sindel kills half the heroes, Raiden says they have to lose in order for the Elder Gods to intervene and Liu's like "fuck that I'm beating Shao Khan now" and Raiden inadvertently kills him. Raiden loses, the Elder Gods punish Khan for breaking the rules of Mortal Kombat, and Earthrealm is saved.

X - At the end of MK9 it turns out that a lot of the behind the scenes stuff was done by Quan Chi acting for Shinnok. The game jumps between several time frames over 25 years to show the initial defeat of Shinnok by Johnny's green energy which is, like, Elder God energy that gets inherited by his and Sonya's daughter, Cassie. Quan Chi resurrects the people that fell during MK9 as Revenants, zombie minions under his controlz and some are able to come back to life because of it, like Jax, but some are left as Revenants, like Liu Kang and Kitana. As Outworld is infighting over the vacant throne Shinnok threatens all the realms. His corrupted amulets threatens everyone and he gets taken out by Cassie thanks to the green energy. Raiden is corrupted and starts threatening the other realms in a proactive protection of Earthrealm. Liu Kang and Kitana now rule Netherrealm and he sends them a message in the form of Shinnok's head.

11 - MK11 starts with the events that take place right before Raiden goes to Kitana and Liu but Kronika steps in to prevent it and alter history.

Thanks guys. I really don't know probably anything about this, i'll need to read it fully.

Btw, it's crazy how Hollywood doesn't make an R rated movie with all this lore, on a big production like Logan or Deadpool.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't want to beat on a dead-horse, but Rhonda sounds REALLY off as Sonya. Not that should couldn't get better with training, but... well, everyone else sounds great. Even the replacements for Cassie and Kano sound very solid. It happens every time you put a non-VA next to professionals, regardless of their vocal potential. Haven't heard this wide a gap in presentation since Bioware stuck Jessica Chobot in Mass Effect 3. It's just... well, amateurish, and that's simply because the vocal performance is from an actual amateur.

The rest looks and sounds great though.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Please stop acting like rap isn't what most MK fans listen to.

(The song in this trailer is trash tho. A step down from the 21 Savage joint)
Fucking real lol.

Idk if anyone's said it but Cassie's looking much better as do some of the other characters. They've really done a great job here.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I 100% don't understand Max's MK11 video at all. Saying leaking shit is bad does not require such an overblown defense of yourself and anyone who says it is should not be given the time of day...