• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the full article, it seems to be about her regression of personality, intellectual nature, and character from MK:X.

This thread gets immediately de-railed to a different topic because one person stopped reading at the paragraph regarding her design and decided to post too soon.

Thread is now about criticizing lip mileena for being too sexy when that was never the point.

Oh well.

Well, it's MK2 Mileena so of course there's regression. And it's a DLC character, so there will be no story for her. Character intros should still be great!

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading the full article, it seems to be about her regression of personality, intellectual nature, and character from MK:X.

Does the article's author have access to material we don't? Because if he does, then maybe he should have pointed that out.

The "regression of the character's personality" thing seems to be a very thin veneer - considering the lack of material in order to actually judge these elements - to cover the "man I liked when Mileena was hot" aspect that the author seems to be truly upset about. And even if the author's intent wasn't to do this, and the author has access to additional content that shows him how Mileena's personality is portrayed in MK11 - we do not have access to this content. How could we possibly have a discussion about something nobody has a fucking clue about?

Though, considering it's a version of the character that's specifically meant to be a past self, her development from MK X not being there is... duh? Of fucking course she is not gonna have gone through the things that here future self would have gone through, since she was yanked straight out of the past.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait for her alternate outfits--they might sway your opinion.

They're gonna pick that stupid bandage alt from MK9 watch

Have to admit, people being upset with the outfit didn't even register with me because so many of the "default" MK11 outfits have been stupid compared to the other ones. I just got used to characters being revealed with the worst outfits

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
I admit I liked her mkx outfit more. Looked more savage, less clean.

But did I miss smthng? I feel like this person only talked lips, and the only reason they want them is for animation practicalities?

Should Baraka have lips?

jvdavb0b

Better look at her jaw and teeth.
Gotta admit I really love how this looks

I feel ingame models lok diffrent tho

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Nah, her mouth looked ridiculous on X... And for personality and whatnot: we haven't seen enough to really say anything.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personality wise, she feels like a guest character without the obvious tie in story wise as someone who's fighting to take the throne.

Artistically? horrible design. It's like 3 different animators worked on the head; one for the hair, one for human-upper half, one for lower jaw.

And fuck all "SEXY BAD GRR" hoopla, the lips added visually (and smexually). The full baraka jaw took away from the sexyness.

Bring back the lips. People were asking for her a lot BECAUSE MK11 visual fidelity had improved a lot, and people wanted to see the lips in full detail.

ridaxan

Oct 29, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
First up, I'm just really glad she's back. I don't have an issue with the full tarkatan teeth design that's in line with the older games, but I felt the X design made her look more like the hybrid she is supposed to be as opposed to just "Kitana with Tarkatan teeth".

Regardless of that, I'm just so glad she's gonna be playable soon.

Oct 26, 2017
But did I miss smthng? I feel like this person only talked lips, and the only reason they want them is for animation practicalities?

Should Baraka have lips?

The closest thing to that would have been MK Deception Baraka, where the Tarkatans were depicted with smaller teeth:

I personally like this mouth better, as it had a bit more expression to it. That said, MK11 Baraka is the best the character has ever looked.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm not sure Mileena* has ever looked good in 3D. Lips version is definitely the worst, though.

Edit: *most of the female characters. At least until 11, a big upgrade for ladies there.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
She's supposed to be a mirror of Kitana. She has the same unornamented mask and everything. The thing that separates them is Mileena's tarkatan half. She is a chaotic design to Kitana's order. It's good. The lips are cringeworthy and clearly to ellicit sexual imagery, come on now it isn't true to the character at all.

pxkekkbi4wr21.png
1050px-Mileena_MK11_Design.webp.png

Kitana-MK11-Unmasked-the-ladies-of-mortal-kombat-43077060-1324-1152.jpg
mortal_kombat_11_mileena_TeruOpC.jpg

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually happy they went back to the original looks, didn't like the lips. Mileena has always been a savage character and those lips made her look silly in my opinion/

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
oku1_ezgif-6-dddc8e16a2a1.gif

While I liked MKX design, she didn't look scary at all. Now she looks fucking terrifying.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Yup definitely more terrifying. Wonder what her fatalities will be like.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This is not just about her lips. Why is everyone talking about her lips from MKX? They are talking about the overall design of the character and her default outfit.
What's wrong with the new design and outfit? It would probably also be good to wait and see her fully with all of the different outfits she will have plus her customizable accessories. It seems like we are jumping the gun here.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
People who say mileena got hot when she got lips are coward frauds

Mileena has always been beautiful ❤

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer her MK11's face since the lips looked quite weird tbh, but I think her hair, mask and the outfit are pretty bad. Especially the hair. MKX's hair down with mask on design that someone posted earlier look much better than MK11's.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
X was a massive improvement over 9 but 11 is also a clear improvement over X. The lips were better than what was before but no lips is clearly superior.

Specifically I like the contrast between the horrorifying nightmare mouth and the clear evocative imagery she does.

I can't say I care for the rest of her costume. Especially compared to kitanas.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The X design with the lips was stupid and obviously fanservice. Let her be a monster the second that mask comes off.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This is not just about her lips. Why is everyone talking about her lips from MKX? They are talking about the overall design of the character and her default outfit.
I mean, the article itself brings it up at least twice.

I personally think the outfit is a bit on the boring side, but not enough to warrant a long ass article about it.

Last edited:

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Like it'd be one thing if her monster face with the lips was ever actually used like this in MKX, but it's not. Not to this effect. Instead in the story, she's just got weird cheeks and... that's about it.

I feel pretty bad for the poor concept artist who was told "can you reimagine a Mileena who still had some human lips", and put real work into that drawing only for the art team to eventually produce what they did.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
New Mileena basically looks like classic Mileena. I hate the whole "lip" thing. She's supposed to be a "Buttermouth" where everything looks appealing about her but her mouth. Giving her luscious lips along with keeping those large teeth on her cheeks kinda defeats that purpose, IMO. It's like some swooning DeviantArt fanboy redesigned her because, "... with lips, now I can kiss her. teehee!".

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Her MKX design was weird and seemed like it was more the result of her having a prominent story role than anything else. Either for technical reasons because of how much dialogue she had or to give her a more expressive face because expressive faces are important for storytelling there were reasons to give her human lips beyond someone just thinking it was an interesting look. Basically I would think the origin of putting human lips on her would mostly be tied to her prominence in the MKX story. In MK11 she's a non-factor narratively so the lips are gone. Just a theory of mine but it seems reasonably plausible.

Also remind yourself what a bad Mileena design looks like by looking at her MK9 design. That game, MK vs DC and Injustice 1's women designs are so fucking bad across the board but Mileena in particular looks so stupid.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

Lol, yeah no.
We heard one line from her, that's it. (Not counting the messages to her fans on Twitter)
We can't possibly know if she had a regression of character. The person who wrote the article is just mad that she doesn't have lips anymore

Jan 11, 2018
Let's not forget that current timeline Mileena is dead in MK11. This is clearly MK2 Mileena, whose intellect and personality would also mirror that of MK9 Mileena.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Wasn't there a slight tone change from X to 11? Like over sexualized to more "toned down" designs and it ended up being for the better? (Im sure more work can be done) Now some are like "i need the sexualization back". Is that really what is being asked for?

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
New Mileena looks like classic Mileena. (MKX version was an abomination with the human lips... )