• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
256d0681ecb3b721a98ac48d56_ciA2NDIDNmYyZDhjYjE4NDU=.jpg

mk11_skins_select_screen_2001.jpg

I mean, I guess they're Sub Zero because of the axe, but when you have these in a match and the characters don't have their name on the health bars, it gets confusing as a spectator. It's like 'oh, there's that yellow ninja, I guess they're playing Scorpi- Oh they've just shot an ice ball".

Noctis0Stella

Mar 17, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying objectification; account in junior phase
hm I don't know the characters look really realistic and amazing, but women like Jessie or Sonja are too much covered with clothes while the men can show their ripped bodies.
D3cXG3qV4AAslfS

I mean, i don't care about nudity in games, but the developers should have free desicions about the designs in a game.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Character design, probably yes. But as for overall art direction, I think MK9 is still unparalleled. It's such a vibrant, clean and colorful game coming out at a time when the brown and desaturated aesthetic of western games had hit its peak.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to see more of Robocop. I want to see how close they get to him being photorealistic from the movies. Considering his design, he should probably get closer than any other character.

Oh shit, I wonder what his alternate costumes will be. I hope they have Robo-Terminator as one of his designs, with the metallic skull face.

9r1hdrj11kr31.jpg

I can't believe this is real.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
jmIFgF.png

jmIPXr.png

iUfB92.png

iUfqW9.png

iUfmvv.png

iUfsGC.png

D'Vorah's design and details are so impressive to me. I feel like they put so much effort when designing her.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With how character customization work and the hundreds of combinations involved, do you realize exactly what you are asking here? Forget keeping the file size under 200GB for just the video files alone to account for every possible combination.
I think he's asking NRS to stop using pre-rendered cut-scenes.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
jmIFgF.png

jmIPXr.png

iUfB92.png

iUfqW9.png

iUfmvv.png

iUfsGC.png

D'Vorah's design and details are so impressive to me. I feel like they put so much effort when designing her.

She has one of the best designs of new mortal kombat by far. Prior to MKX, I always felt the klassic kharacters had better designs than shit like Reiko or Taven or similar. But D'Vorah is right up there with the klassics.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
hm I don't know the characters look really realistic and amazing, but women like Jessie or Sonja are too much covered with clothes while the men can show their ripped bodies.
D3cXG3qV4AAslfS

I mean, i don't care about nudity in games, but the developers should have free desicions about the designs in a game.

Female characters do still show skin, just to a more sensible amount. Sindel is a good example:

e7bc4b6c0dc37f6bc549c5b9f3fc47f8ad06770c.jpg

This is imo way more attractive than her in some kind of silly mankini.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
D3cXG3qV4AAslfS

This has been explained in lore in a satisfying way imo, the older designs were more about the "show" of the tournament, while new designs are closer to how the characters actually prefer to dress or their actual battle outfits

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
D3cXG3qV4AAslfS

MK9 really took the designs to absurd, cringey levels even by the past standards of the franchise. Sonya's bra-less vest was the most WTF-inducing. The game still being my favorite visually I think is a testament to how good it looks overall in spite of the glaring issue with the character designs (the juvenile fan service outfits were far from the only problem with them, really).

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I think he's asking NRS to stop using pre-rendered cut-scenes.
No, OmegaDL is right.

The intros/outros/Fatal Blows/Krushing Blows on CONSOLES run at 30 FPS while the rest of the game is 60. On PC, you have the option to have it all at 60 so no big deal.

Most people are assuming that one of the things they might add to a PS5/XseX port of the game would be 60 FPS for all cinematic stuff.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
This is absolutely true and I'm glad most of us agree. MK11 is a gorgeous game and I sometimes let the AI play by itself just to look at it.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
The funny thing is that back then MK was regarded as a fighter with the best styled realistic models, especially with 2 and 3. Everyone knew other Japanese games were better in gameplay.

But MK4 art direction went down the drain especially when compared to Japanese 3d fighters.
With mkx and mk11 they gained back some of that lost art style, though I still think Tekken 7, SC6 and VF5 have better 3d character design (clothes not included due to customization) , animation and movements when it comes to realistic characters.

Regarding Goro, Motaro and Kintaro, I still prefer the original claymation model. A high res scan of the original figures with more detailed motion would be amazing. One reason I hope for a Primal Rage remaster too instead of using 3D.

Erg

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't played MK11 yet, does it still have microtransactions to pay for easier fatalities in this one? Because that was pretty annoying

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Haven't played MK11 yet, does it still have microtransactions to pay for easier fatalities in this one? Because that was pretty annoying
I have like 10,000+ Easy Fatality tokens stored up and I haven't spent a dime beyond my initial Premium Edition purchase. The game practically showers easy fatality tokens on you.

Though you CAN still pay for them if you want for whatever reason.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I can't do MK any more, man. The fatalities are just too gruesome. I don't want to see a photorealistic recreation of someone's flesh getting torn off, I just don't.

It's a shame, because I used to LOVE MK up through MK 9 and the character designs do look amazing...

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I can't do MK any more, man. The fatalities are just too gruesome. I don't want to see a photorealistic recreation of someone's flesh getting torn off, I just don't.

It's a shame, because I used to LOVE MK up through MK 9 and the character designs do look amazing...
That's the problem I have with it. I really want to buy it but I wish there was a lower gore setting. It's kinda hard to play when you got family members watching you.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't think anyone would dispute this about MK11. Excellent excellent character design; they make me want to play the game but then I remember how it plays and the animation so I don't. 💀

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
While i loved Jades design in MK9 as a horny 13 year old her redesign in 11 is light years ahead in terms of functionality.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
eeeehhh

Sonya: Jacqui says as kids you were scared of me.
Cassie Cage: You'd randomly attack us with arm bars!
Sonya: And you learned to always be ready.

Not being super serious, just kind of funny.

They got that from the voice actress. Sonya's voice actress, Ronda Roussey, used to have that happen to her by her mom, a famous judoka.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
MK9 had the entire female cast wearing banana hammocks. Like, at least DOA tries to be creative in its pandering, MK9 had the worst dressed female cast both from a pandering perspective and from a design perspective.

"Male characters show their ripped bodies". Liu Kang channels Bruce Lee, MK9 Jade channels a stripper, pole dancing included.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
No argument there, especially considering that NRS finally cut it out with the sexualization of the game's women. If they can just get their in-game animations up to the level of the competition (they've been making some progress in MK11, so credit where it's due), they'd be unstoppable. A shame about Sonya's voice, though (at least with Scorpion, as much as I miss Patrick Seitz, his new VA at least did a solid job).

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I wholeheartedly agree. I just need them to keep chipping at those animation. Some characters have improved a lot, others are damn near perfect (Liu Kang, Kung Lao) and a bunch of others still animate and move in that typical MK 'jank' we all know and love

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No, OmegaDL is right.

The intros/outros/Fatal Blows/Krushing Blows on CONSOLES run at 30 FPS while the rest of the game is 60. On PC, you have the option to have it all at 60 so no big deal.

Most people are assuming that one of the things they might add to a PS5/XseX port of the game would be 60 FPS for all cinematic stuff.
I know all this.

I'm saying what Gitaroo might have meant is for NRS to both stop doing 30fps cinematics during gameplay and to also stop doing pre-rendered cut-scenes (all of their story mode is pre-rendered). If their story modes weren't pre-rendered they could conceivably run at a higher framerate and resolution if you had the appropriate hardware.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I hated Skarlet in 9 but now she's my favorite character as of 11. Her redesigns helped a lot.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
It does. But you still earn tons of them by playing normally (just like before); and they're only shown to buy on the "premium store" which only appears in the main menu at the right corner; were you can buy other stuff you can unlock normally but with crystals (that you can also earn by playing).

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
It does. But you still earn tons of them by playing normally (just like before); and they're only shown to buy on the "premium store" which only appears in the main menu at the right corner; were you can buy other stuff you can unlock normally but with crystals (that you can also earn by playing).

+ You can win Easy Fatalities tokens by just playing the game

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Everything presentation wise about this game is insane. I seriously cannot wait to see what this team does with next gen hardware. 💦

This always confuses me. As if developers are forced to give us more sensible designs when before it was the opposite. Developers used to not be given free reign to create reasonable character designs.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I definitely agree that they turned it around. Mortal Kombat has been just terrible from an aesthetic perspective to me for over 20 years.

I think 2 peaked and then it was all terrible until 11. I still dont love the animation (which is on purpose).

From the Tekken perspective: I agree. Tekken 3 was peak design, they looked like real people/fighters. Now they look like RPG characters with random loot on top.

A disgrace.

Last edited:

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I love this alternate reality where people with shitty opinions like yours think developers are being forced to be more respectful with their female designs.

As if that form-fitting Jade outfit in MK11 isn't "showing off" her body.