• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
skarlet-mortal-kombat-11-uhdpaper.com-4K-188.jpg
Does anyone disagree?

I really like the way they redesigned practically every single returning character in this game, as well as how vibrant and colorful the costumes and environments are. Everything pops, and it looks incredible.

Also, I've been watching the cutscenes from Mortal Kombat 9 and X in order to try and wrap my head around the story for these games, and I really appreciate how much they dialed down the T&A in the newer release.

I would love to see Mortal Kombat 9 and X remastered with visuals on par with 11. Is it too soon to remake 9? They could package it up as a new HD Trilogy collection.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
This is correct.

I'll never stop laughing at how they went from the funkiest-looking character models/designs in fighting games to some of the best.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Injustice 2 and MK XI are so damn impressive and such a big jump in about everything visuals-wise.

I can't wait for Injustice 3 to be announced tbh.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. The MK9 sling bikinis bullshit on Kitana and Jade got transformed into very badass costumes. Definitely love it.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Agree Mortal Kombat 11 is a beauty in general. It does not get enough credit for that. The backgrounds are already beautiful, but look at those character models and designs:

46912809794_29a1b7049b_o.png

46721422975_507a6638af_o.png

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
yeah, the character designs and models are really great

and I think comparing them to most of the past series, which honestly were pretty bad for the most part is doing a disservice to them

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Can't argue there.
They used to be known for screwing up good concept art with awful character models, and they completely turned it around. MKX was already an improvement from MK9, but 11 is on another level.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, whilst the character design for a lot of them is better than the past. A lot of them being stuck as Revenants by default drags it down a lot in the art direction department.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah definitely between Injustice 3 and MK 11 the character models are fantastic. The facial animations are untouched in my eyes.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, the characters are the best that they have ever looked in MK11. Really appreciate the update to Skarlet's design compared to 9.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, whilst the character design for a lot of them is better than the past. A lot of them being stuck as Revenants by default drags it down a lot in the art direction department.

All the revenants have multiple designs, including non-revenant designs.

An aside, the story-mode Kung Lao model is incredible. MK 9, 10, and 11 made me a huge Kung Lao fan, his cocky attitude rules.

The bit where Liu Kang jumps through the trap, and Kung Lao smirks and just destroys it, is fucking awesome.

Dec 15, 2017
No I think they are quite uninspired even terrible at times. And don't get me started on the skins. Most of them are awful. Cassie cage has that Mass Effect dollar store armor...

Mk9 and MKX were way better on that regard. I hate the fact that mk is so inconsistent with their character designs. MKX Kano was incredible and now he looks younger for some reason?

The characters lack visual identity at times. It takes me a couple of seconds to realize who is my opponent by looking at it. Why sub zero would have say a purple, red or even worse YELLOW skin? You need to respect the chromatic identity of your characters.

Last edited:

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I agree :)

Jade is the best example IMO. Never would have thought she'd be my favorite character in a game.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Except for Sonya, I agree. Her MKX incarnation was the best. She looks pretty cool if you outfit her with retro gear in MK11 though.

Stryker got a serious downgrade in MK9, I couldn't believe how they turned the most generic guy into an EVEN MORE GENERIC guy. I forget if he even showed up in the story mode of 11.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except for Sonya, I agree. Her MKX incarnation was the best. She looks pretty cool if you outfit her with retro gear in MK11 though.

Stryker got a serious downgrade in MK9, I couldn't believe how they turned the most generic guy into an EVEN MORE GENERIC guy. I forget if he even showed up in the story mode of 11.

The worst thing about Sonya is her voice. Not even just because it's Ronda Rousy, but her performance is fucking awful.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it helps that almost every MK character uses a likeness of a model or actor. The costume designs looking gorgeous was a consequence of the shitty lootbox system though.

X character designs was too grimdark while 9 just looked like the worse of 90s comic aesthetic. Like a dangerous mix of Joe Mad and Rob Liefield.

I'm glad NetherRealm went back to their roots of digitizing RL people.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it helps that almost every MK character uses a likeness of a model or actor. The costume designs looking gorgeous was a consequence of the shitty lootbox system though.

X character designs was too grimdark while 9 just looked like the worse of 90s comic aesthetic. Like a dangerous mix of Joe Mad and Rob Liefield.

I'm glad NetherRealm went back to their roots of digitizing RL people.

The best thing about MK11 is them bringing back Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung. Movie Shang Tsung was always awesome. He not only sounds like him, he looks like him, which is incredible. I can't wait to play as him in the new story DLC. Time Bandit Shang Tsung vs Fire God Liu Kang is going to be incredible.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Only because 3D tech has gotten to the point we're it actually looks like a sequel to mk3.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Yes. Easily.

My only problem (and this is more inherited from progression/monetization problems of Injustice 2) is that the modular character design means characters start losing distinct features. It's not as messy of a problem as Injustice 2's design, but when I see like a white or a green Scorpion, I inherently just go "that ain't right."

But they way they updated all the classic characters in really true-to-character ways for the story just looks amazing. Liu Kang, Kitana, Scorpion, Sonya (voice acting aside...), Johnny... Everyone.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Except for Sonya, I agree.

There's imo a lot of detail and polish missing on her character models. Compared to other characters she looks kinda nondescript and plain. Like some random background NPC. Her built also seems so unathletic. Shouldn't she have more defined musculature as a seasoned fighter?

2231db9924fa3f1a61cbfeb0794303dc.jpg

But a lot of fighters have that thing where the male characters are ripped to the max and the women have basically just random bikini babe bodies.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If only I were able to unlock them. ;__;
My biggest gripe in MK11: Unlocking stuff is either way too much of a grind or too difficult.
The unreasonable grind is the worst part of the game.
So good. I'd love to see them try an action adventure game with those two.
I freaking love MK Mythologies: Sub-Zero, and enjoyed Shaolin Monks, so I'd immediately buy any other spin-off they come out with.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
There's imo a lot of detail and polish missing on her character models. Compared to other characters she looks kinda nondescript and plain. Like some random background NPC. Her built also seems so unathletic. Shouldn't she have more defined musculature as a seasoned fighter?

2231db9924fa3f1a61cbfeb0794303dc.jpg

But a lot of fighters have that thing where the male characters are ripped to the max and the women have basically just random bikini babe bodies.
I dunno, Cassie and Jaqui both look awesome, so I have no idea why Sonya in particular looks so unremarkable in this game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One thing you can say about NRS is that they just keep on improving with each game.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Cassie Cage, she is, of the new series, by far my favorite modern character. Her personality is awesome. Who knew the child of Sonya and Johnny Cage would rule so hard?

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
Graphics were definitely incredible, just didn't care for the gameplay very much.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
The most impressive thing is that two games before, the game still had those cringe, misogynistic proportions which somehow was worse than the Ps2 trilogy.
And then, by X, the art style began to do an 180°, 11 is the culmination of this... Now, everything on the game looks badass, both in tech and art style.

No fighting game will ever top Tagawa as Shang Tsung.

MK11-Shang-Tsung-Reveal.jpeg.webp

Dec 20, 2017
If they can just improve the animations, MK12/Injustice 3/Mortal Kombat vs Injustice (we can dream) will be the best looking fighting game on the market.