• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Yes, no more KL skins/seasons. They will start repeating them from S1 again and will only add few new gear pieces and brutalities.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Two questions I hope someone can answer:

1) If I get the $15 version, am I still in the current version to play online? Ultimate isn't like a Street Fighter 4 to Super Street Fighter 4 change where the old version is obsolete now right?

*I assume I'll just be missing story DLC and characters

2) I saw the custom variations are now 90% available to be used. Is this true now for ranked play as well as tournaments? I imagine this will really shake up the tier list, and allow for more expression in how certain characters can be played to become viable. Baraka I recall on release with a custom variation could do over 80% with 2 meters or some insane shit.

It's not like street fighter, there is only one version of the game that gets updated, only difference with the new name branding is just content that comes with it like characters.

It's not going to change the tier list dramatically because they they barely changed anything but at least you can make every character kinda like you want.
Hopefully they have a more significant rebalance of the bad moves to give a reason to use them.

They probably were scared of breaking the game with this much freedom. But the game is so limited by design that it's kinda fine.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Question... Does setting a variation as the default also apply to when you fight a character controlled by the CPU? I want to exile Rousey and fake Raiden from my experience. lol

Last edited:

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Hey, how does the Switch version of MK 11 currently fare? I thought about picking up the switch port of MK11 for on-the-go play with friends back when the game came out, but the initial reviews weren't great so I passed. I just noticed Best Buy is selling MK 11: Aftermath for the Switch for $24 which I could probably get for less than $20. Did the performance and/or graphical issues got improved over the year?
So, it has improved, but it's still rough around the edges. This is going to be kind of a rapid fire hit list, but here's my observations as someone who has owned it since day one.

When the game first launched, characters didn't take any damage during fights (no dried blood, cuts, etc.). They have since fixed that. The character details are a bit softer overall though, and hair dithering is ugly. There is also a weird sparkling sometimes - like flickering pixels - around some things during any cinematics (like intros) where higher poly character models are used.

The fights themselves usually stay around 60fps even in portable mode. There are some exceptions during Tower of Time fights where there's extra activity in play. It also tends to suffer a little on busier levels like Kotal's.

Pre-fight intros, post-fight outros, fatal blows, and some fatalities have frame rate drops (severity is in order of least to most in that order).

The Krypt is a dumpster fire. The performance is awful, it is the mode that crashes the game the most, and they have done nothing to improve it since release. Chances are they won't, ever.

As best as I can tell, the audio is basically on par with the PS4/XB1 versions as in nothing seems cut or terribly compressed.

Which one is Fake Raiden? lol
The one who isn't Lambert. :)

Last edited:

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am seeking answer for this; if i buy aftermath to ps4 will it work with ps5? Aftermath for ps4 is 50% off but aftermath for ps5 is Still full price...

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got the game for my PS5 that I was able to score.

Should I try learning Scorpion so I can get used to the fundamentals? I'm decent enough at the game as is, like a "beat anything on Medium difficulty" decent, but I wouldn't say I'm "Competitive."

Doing decent as Spawn though!

Oct 26, 2017

Should I try learning Scorpion so I can get used to the fundamentals? I'm decent enough at the game as is, like a "beat anything on Medium difficulty" decent, but I wouldn't say I'm "Competitive."

Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Baraka are characters I would recommend to those who want to learn the game's fundamentals, as they have no gimmicks. Scorpion does have the teleport, where as the other two don't, but otherwise--they are all pretty basic.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Baraka are characters I would recommend to those who want to learn the game's fundamentals, as they have no gimmicks. Scorpion does have the teleport, where as the other two don't, but otherwise--they are all pretty basic.
Gotcha, not new to the game/ series but I want to get a bit better before I try online.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

Can't really agree with Scorpion here. Scorpion and fundamentals don't belong in the same sentence. He's as gimmicky as there is in the game. He doesn't have to play the game's neutral and his teleport shuts down the default game plan of the opponent, particularly against less seasoned players.

Play whatever character you find fun, but Scorpion's move set is a crutch for newer players.

Scorpion and probably Sheeva are probably the most gimmicky where you can crush newer players and still be bad at the game's fundamentals. However if you run into someone who knows how to handle their BS, good luck. I used to be awful against Scorpion players, but now when they just run away and try to spear, I do nothing but neutral duck so they cant just full screen spear/teleport and so many players still don't know what to do.

Honestly, they best way to learn the game is to go online and learn the strings by having to deal with blocking them, because blocking the high/lows are a huge part of the game. You may get wrecked by something, but if so watch the replay or learn how to block it in practice mode.

Last edited:

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
If you like Spawn I'd just keep playing him. IMO the game is simple enough to learn that you shouldn't need to play any particular character to learn. That said I think Liu Kang is a good choice for that.

Playing the tutorial is wise. It's pretty well done and surprisingly in depth the further you go. The character tutorials are brief but are a decent blueprint for playing a character, plus you get a skin as a reward.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you like Spawn I'd just keep playing him. IMO the game is simple enough to learn that you shouldn't need to play any particular character to learn. That said I think Liu Kang is a good choice for that.

Playing the tutorial is wise. It's pretty well done and surprisingly in depth the further you go. The character tutorials are brief but are a decent blueprint for playing a character, plus you get a skin as a reward.
I think Liu Kang and Johnny are good "default" characters, but they lack a lot of the tools to really take control of space.

I think Noob is a pretty good character to experiment with.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Osu 16 Bit Hey Steph i remember you saying you guys had access to the back end, to see which moves are used, how much they hit etc...

Is it a manual tool you have to check per move or can you filter things like say, "all krushing blows that have less than 5% hitrate" "least used brutalities" etc...

I know you have actually made the throw brutalities requirements normalized a couple patches ago so I appreciate that at least, but if moves could also be normalized that'd be great.
The DLC characters all have easy and straightforward ones, just fun =) .

I think Liu Kang and Johnny are good "default" characters, but they lack a lot of the tools to really take control of space.

Liu Kang lacks space control lmfao.

The character with the best advancing normals, crazy staggers, low projectiles full screen, teleports and safe projecting fatal blow lacks control okay.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm almost ashamed at how many of these Rapid Towers I've done just to get the UMK3 Mileena skin.

Now I wish they'd do UMK3 skins for the male ninjas :(

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's funnier when you consider the debut trailer of this game had UMK3 Scorpion so they clearly made the model.

Hey at least we got mk9 sub and scor. they look sick in 11.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Liu Kang lacks space control lmfao.

The character with the best advancing normals, crazy staggers, low projectiles full screen, teleports and safe projecting fatal blow lacks control okay.
*shrug* I was king of expecting someone to chime in on this.

I think Liu Kang excels at attacking from any space. He's dangerous up close and from far away. But I feel that he's difficult to move AROUND the stage compared to other characters. He's a character that I can plant my feet to the ground like a rock anywhere and be viably dangerous.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
UMK3 Mileena, after all that grind!

04wPse.png

04wcVH.png

04wUAx.png

04wb5c.png

04wxEK.png

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, first online battle I forget all of my practice and end up chipped to death by a hell chain spamming Scorpion.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'd happily welcome any additional DLC this late into the cycle. I don't care who the characters are.

XL Hoodie

Oct 25, 2017
U.S.
Reptile is the only playable character from MK2 that isn't in the game now. I feel like they have to add him if they add anymore.

Jan 11, 2018
Ah, right you can fight him using codes in some ports - but not fight as him (like in UMK3). The game isn't missing many characters from the original trilogy in general.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I feel like MK11 really does have the ultimate roster but it's sorely missing a telekinetic (Ermac/Kenshi) and Reptile (since everyone else from MK2's original roster is playable now) and I really would prefer to have Ermac, Smoke and Reptile be given the MK11 treatment but I totally understand why they wouldn't but if they're taking a break from MK after MK11 they really should make this the ultimate roster.

That was a long, weird sentence to type.......it was basically my train of thought.

That being said I absolutely adore what NRS has done with characters in MK11. Fujin as an example - I never thought he could be this cool but they made it happen. So I'd love to see that treatment for Havik/Sareena. Smoke too......maybe......but would probably need to do something to make him interesting because I don't feel like MK9 Smoke would work in MK11.

Deathstroke. Meh. Worst guest character thus far but would dovetail nicely into an Injustice announcement if that is on the horizon.

I *really* thought Nitara would make the cut since she is the only character in the upcoming film that isnt' represented in the roster BUT I feel like Skarlet really would do most of the shit she would have done now.

I agree with Ryce I feel like any extra content at this point is welcomed but I'd wish they'd just put us out of our misery and confirm if there's more to come or if that's it.

Also on the subject of movie skins........only Annihilation Sindel? Seems a bit random to not just do Talisa Soto and Liu Kang too but who knows.......Though if they did those three they could easily call it the Annihilation pack. And they can't NOT do "YOU will DIE"

lord I had a lot of thoughts brewing

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's not a coincidence the 3 characters they picked for movie pack 1 are the only 3 that didn't return in the sequel lol.

Jan 11, 2018
There was a rumour about a second movie skin pack containing Sindel, Kitana and Liu Kang. That would be great. I think Talisa's Kitana is my favourite Kitana, especially in Annihilation (one of the few highlights of that movie).

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
What's the platform of choice for the ultimate edition ? PS5 or Series X ?

I got the base game on PS4. Never had time to get into it last year, but with the holiday break I'm planning of sinking my teeth into it.

Also, isn't there an upgrade path for owners of the base version?

Aug 26, 2018
日本
What's the platform of choice for the ultimate edition ? PS5 or Series X ?

I got the base game on PS4. Never had time to get into it last year, but with the holiday break I'm planning of sinking my teeth into it.

Also, isn't there an upgrade path for owners of the base version?
If you have the PS4 version, then you just get the PS5 one for free (you'd still have to buy missing DLC). I would do whatever costs you the least money.

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
If you have the PS4 version, then you just get the PS5 one for free (you'd still have to buy missing DLC). I would do whatever costs you the least money.

Ah - so basically I just need to purchase the DLCs individually? (Kombat pack 1 + 2 and afternath)

Does the ultimate edition come with anything else that buying those DLCs wouldn't get me ?

Edit: ugh, they make it so purchasing everything individually is more expensive than just getting the Ultimate edition.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ah - so basically I just need to purchase the DLCs individually? (Kombat pack 1 + 2 and afternath)

Does the ultimate edition come with anything else that buying those DLCs wouldn't get me ?

Edit: ugh, they make it so purchasing everything individually is more expensive than just getting the Ultimate edition.

Base game has a lot of content to go through already.

Just update it and get the ps5 version for free and buy dlc when they go on sale.

Lowkey20

Nov 18, 2020
I just bought the disc version of MK11 Ultimate on XSX and I installed everything and when I go to play Story, it says "estimate time until available: unavailable." I then uninstalled and reinstalled everything and I'm getting the same issue. Anyone know how to fix this? What a mess.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, I recently jumped in with MK11 for Switch but I can't get the game to connect with the Internet.

Granted I'm using a mobile hotspot to do it but I just want to unlock Story Mode. Is there a big update and if so I need a Wifi connection to update it?

Pretty disappointed how minimal it is without internet

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I already have the game on the Switch, but am thinking of buying it on PC because of Online MP.

How is the PC version?

Aug 26, 2018
日本
I already have the game on the Switch, but am thinking of buying it on PC because of Online MP.

How is the PC version?
If PC is your only other option, then fine. But the PS4/XB1 versions are handled by NRS directly while the PC is handled by a port team. So, there have been times when patches and such come out late for PC (as well as Switch). PS4/XB1 also have crossplay with each other while the others are left out (maybe due to the same issue).

But, you get the perk of having match cutscenes, fatalities, and the Krypt in 60 fps if you so choose.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Hey, how does the Switch version of MK 11 currently fare? I thought about picking up the switch port of MK11 for on-the-go play with friends back when the game came out, but the initial reviews weren't great so I passed. I just noticed Best Buy is selling MK 11: Aftermath for the Switch for $24 which I could probably get for less than $20. Did the performance and/or graphical issues got improved over the year?
Looks-wise, it will never compare favorably to the best looking fighting game on consoles/PC (IMO at least), but honestly? I've played it just as much as the "home" version because of portability alone. It's pretty great as an "impossible port" I think.

EDIT: welp, this is a rater late reply. Hope it's still useful!

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
If PC is your only other option, then fine. But the PS4/XB1 versions are handled by NRS directly while the PC is handled by a port team. So, there have been times when patches and such come out late for PC (as well as Switch). PS4/XB1 also have crossplay with each other while the others are left out (maybe due to the same issue).

But, you get the perk of having match cutscenes, fatalities, and the Krypt in 60 fps if you so choose.

Only have PC and Switch so yeah, no other consoles available :)

Sucks for not having Crossplay with the rest, but heck.

Jumped a gun. Found a copy for 5€ so, not bad :P (base version, neither Aftermath or Ultimate)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I finally managed to get Scorption's Reptile skin from the hidden towers. I started playing these in the last two weeks just looking for that one skin.