• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
nvm me then, McNuM. I just have the aftermath expansion and S1 stuff. Didn't realize first time buyers are getting everything.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
nvm me then, McNuM. I just have the aftermath expansion and S1 stuff. Didn't realize first time buyers are getting everything.
Yup, he's sitting right there on top of the DLC pile, just checked. Somehow, Shao Khan being the DLC on top just seems proper.

So, um, new to Mortal Kombat here. Last game I played was... MK4? Anything I should know before going in, or should I just hit Story Mode and go from there?

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There an expansive tutorial mode that you can run through that will get you up to speed, its pretty in-depth an explains the game mechanics in an easy to understand way.

If you just wanna learn as you go, then yea, story mode.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When do you think we'll hear what's next for MK11 ?
Before COVID, WB Games was supposed to have a conference at E3.
My guess is that MK Aftermath was supposed to be revealed at the 1 year anniversary and release earlier, but was pushed back because of the virus.
So maybe the original plan was Aftermath announcement in April with an early May release, and a KP2 announcement in June at the conference.
WB Games is supposed to be a part of the Summer Game Fest but they have yet to make an appearence. But when they do, maybe we'll see MK11 there ?
My bet would be at the EVO Online Tournament

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that MK Aftermath was supposed to be revealed at the 1 year anniversary and release earlier, but was pushed back because of the virus.
So maybe the original plan was Aftermath announcement in April with an early May release, and a KP2 announcement in June at the conference.
WB Games is supposed to be a part of the Summer Game Fest but they have yet to make an appearence. But when they do, maybe we'll see MK11 there ?

I'm guessing nothing until late fall when the new consoles are imminent and they need to address BC support/next gen patches.

I really want to see full 60fps support throughout the whole game like PC has. If the porting studio can implement it, surely NRS can given the specs of the new consoles. I'll be super disappointed if not.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
A big part of me thinks this is it for MK11 in terms of character packs and major story announcements. I'd expect a drop at some point including more skins, a 4th or custom variation allowed patch, continued Kombat Leagues, balance patches, etc., but nothing beyond that. The Aftermath story, just like the base game, feels like it ties up nicely and any additional content on a large plot level feels more like a MK12 thing.

That said, I guess some leaks have pointed to the robots or Takeda joining the roster at some point, etc. so it's possible more is coming (which I would love). Also, the Mortal Kombat film is supposed to come out in January, so I could see tie-ins with that (whether it's skins for the characters already in the game or a new character pack). It'd be weird to release a film and not have it represented in game at least in some small way.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Fujin & Shang Tsung are the duo that I never needed until the Aftermath DLC. Loved them together, I wish that Nightwolf was in the story more in the later half too

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
A big part of me thinks this is it for MK11 in terms of character packs and major story announcements. I'd expect a drop at some point including more skins, a 4th or custom variation allowed patch, continued Kombat Leagues, balance patches, etc., but nothing beyond that. The Aftermath story, just like the base game, feels like it ties up nicely and any additional content on a large plot level feels more like a MK12 thing.

That said, I guess some leaks have pointed to the robots or Takeda joining the roster at some point, etc. so it's possible more is coming (which I would love). Also, the Mortal Kombat film is supposed to come out in January, so I could see tie-ins with that (whether it's skins for the characters already in the game or a new character pack). It'd be weird to release a film and not have it represented in game at least in some small way.

Il'be really bummed out if it's the last content we get. Aftermath story didn't really satisfied me. It was great but it felt like the second part in a three part story.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Yup, he's sitting right there on top of the DLC pile, just checked. Somehow, Shao Khan being the DLC on top just seems proper.

So, um, new to Mortal Kombat here. Last game I played was... MK4? Anything I should know before going in, or should I just hit Story Mode and go from there?
You should probably watch the MK9 and MKX movies on Youtube before jumping in. MK9 was a reboot so you don't have to know anything from MK4 onward.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019

Doubt it. WB has a bunch of games to announce.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How do you unlock stuff for DLC characters? Can that stuff be found in the Krypt? Or is it 100% towers?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I posted this earlier but it was somewhat glossed over, but I'm posting again for a bit more visibility.

So with the new Aftermath update. I made some interesting observations with the character select screen.

WgfRWoN.jpg

The screen is still off balanced in terms of symmetry, but being perfectly symmetrical isn't a problem, but....

Now I can see Netherealm going about this one of two ways, there may be more but this is what I'm thinking in regards to future updates to the game.

Option 1 - Move Cetrion and Fujin on the end, which leaves two spots open next to Shang Tsung and Nightwolf

gFhpfT6.jpg

The problem with Option 1 is because the select screen is moved up higher that means it's not centered with the rest of the UI, but Netherealm can move it to center it and that would resolve this issue, this means two more characters are possibly in planning.

Now for Option 2

kqI9dz4.jpg

Option 2 Fits perfectly with the UI, it would have a proper shape of 4 characters on top, rectangle in center, and 4 on bottom.

And then there is Option 3
VM55mGF.jpg

This fills every empty space remaining on the character select screen but again 8 additional characters is asking for ALOT but Netherrealm could potentially support MK11 for another year and then release a next-gen Ultimate MK11 for the PS5 / XBSX and having an additional 8 more characters might be an appealing option but it's also probably time consuming and would put off a release for Injustice 3 even further out, but Ed Boon admitted that he wanted to do something else, so for a last hurrah, I guess it would make sense to go all out with that empty space to make MK11 have a definitive roster before they move on.

In a ideal and perfect world, I'd prefer option 3, but being a realist, I think Option 2 is much more likely.

If I were to add eight more characters to the game, it's simple really. Smoke, Reptile, Rain, Kenshi, Ash (if the licensing didn't fall through and there is still a chance), Cyrax, Sektor, (Models exist for these two already so the major work would be revising their move-lists and skins). As for the 8th slot, hopefully someone entirely new, maybe a non-boss version of Kronika, or Boon trolls everyone and adds Stryker or Mileena to the game.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I posted this earlier but it was somewhat glossed over, but I'm posting again for a bit more visibility.

So with the new Aftermath update. I made some interesting observations with the character select screen.

WgfRWoN.jpg

The screen is still off balanced in terms of symmetry, but being perfectly symmetrical isn't a problem, but....

Now I can see Netherealm going about this one of two ways, there may be more but this is what I'm thinking in regards to future updates to the game.

Option 1 - Move Cetrion and Fujin on the end, which leaves two spots open next to Shang Tsung and Nightwolf

gFhpfT6.jpg

The problem with Option 1 is because the select screen is moved up higher that means it's not centered with the rest of the UI, but Netherealm can move it to center it and that would resolve this issue, this means two more characters are possibly in planning.

Now for Option 2

kqI9dz4.jpg

Option 2 Fits perfectly with the UI, it would have a proper shape of 4 characters on top, rectangle in center, and 4 on bottom.

VM55mGF.jpg

This fills every empty space remaining on the character select screen but again 8 additional characters is asking for ALOT but Netherrealm could potentially support MK11 for another year and then release a next-gen Ultimate MK11 for the PS5 / XBSX and having an additional 8 more characters might be an appealing option but it's also probably time consuming and would put off a release for Injustice 3 even further out, but Ed Boon admitted that he wanted to do something else, so for a last hurrah, I guess it would make sense to go all out with that empty space to make MK11 have a definitive roster before they move on.

In a ideal and perfect world, I'd prefer option 3, but being a realist, I think Option 2 is much more likely.

If I were to add eight more characters to the game, it's simple really. Smoke, Reptile, Rain, Kenshi, Ash (if the licensing didn't fall through and there is still a chance), Cyrax, Sektor, (Models exist for these two already so the major work would be revising their move-lists and skin. As for the 8th slot, hopefully someone entirely new, maybe a non-boss version of Kronika, or Boon trolls everyone and adds Stryker or Mileena to the game.

There's a total of 42 character slots in the game files, so Option 3 is definitely in the realm(lol) of possibility.
Oh and also, leave my boy Stryker out of this trolling non-sense, there's dozens of us that want him ! Dozens, I tell you !

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
There's a total of 42 character slots in the game files, so Option 3 is definitely in the realm(lol) of possibility.
Oh and also, leave my boy Stryker out of this trolling non-sense, there's dozens of us that want him ! Dozens, I tell you !

I don't mind Stryker, but I want UMK3 / MKT movelist Stryker and not MK9 Stryker. Doing the Gun Juggles into Nightstick Tackle corner combo shenanigans was some fun stuff.

Case in point they brought back Sindel in MK11 and she plays much more closer to her MK3 counterpart and less so her MK9 variant.

The only exception to the rule I felt was an overall improvement is Smoke because in MK9 he was his own character with his own unique moveset. He was no longer Grey coloured discount Scorpion.

This is why I dislike Sonya so much. She had her own unique moves in MK1 and MK3 and removed almost all of them. She no longer has leg grab, she lost up bike kicks, Her Squarewave punch she had in MK1 was given to Kitana, and they retconned her Pink Ring projectile being technology instead of Chi manipulation, but I guess it makes sense since she is military, but I digress...I like it when characters keep their original moves but just expand them further for gameplay refinements.

Stryker in MK9 didn't feel or play like Stryker from MK3 /UMK3.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I really like RoboCop's battle damaged outfit and helmet, especially since you can see his right eye through the broken visor. Reminds me of the scene in the first film when he's fighting ED-209.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

WgfRWoN.jpg

gFhpfT6.jpg

Now for Option 2

kqI9dz4.jpg

VM55mGF.jpg

If I were to add eight more characters to the game, it's simple really. Smoke, Reptile, Rain, Kenshi, Ash (if the licensing didn't fall through and there is still a chance), Cyrax, Sektor, (Models exist for these two already so the major work would be revising their move-lists and skins). As for the 8th slot, hopefully someone entirely new, maybe a non-boss version of Kronika, or Boon trolls everyone and adds Stryker or Mileena to the game.
The most interesting point is why the fuck you haven't unlocked Frost.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Osu 16 Bit , would you happen to know if NRS is still looking into Jade's Hallowen skin effects colors going away as a bug or if it's considered a creative change at this point?
I bought the packs and the special colors were what made the skin so awesome. It was a huge disappointment when they were taken away. Thanks!

Brooklynwolf

Banned
Jan 5, 2020
I'd like to have some confirmation on a few things;

PS4 physical, is it all on disc?

Switch physical, is it a DLC code?

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
About Sindel.

If she was always evil then why the fuck did she made a ward preventing Shao Kahn from entering Earthrealm? It's not like MK3 was ancient history and NRS overlooked it, this was a big plot point back in MK9.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Hi Osu 16 Bit , would you happen to know if NRS is still looking into Jade's Hallowen skin effects colors going away as a bug or if it's considered a creative change at this point?
I bought the packs and the special colors were what made the skin so awesome. It was a huge disappointment when they were taken away. Thanks!

I believe that is how it's intended to be.

About Sindel.

If she was always evil then why the fuck did she made a ward preventing Shao Kahn from entering Earthrealm? It's not like MK3 was ancient history and NRS overlooked it, this was a big plot point back in MK9.
I see no way to square the Sindel retcon with anything that's ever come before. Her history was specific and leaves no wiggle room. The ONLY excuse is that her past was changed by Kronika in order to further streamline and simplify history, but nothing like that is ever actually said or hinted.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
I see no way to square the Sindel retcon with anything that's ever come before. Her history was specific and leaves no wiggle room. The ONLY excuse is that her past was changed by Kronika in order to further streamline and simplify history, but nothing like that is ever actually said or hinted.
I still think that during the MK9 Sindel been merged with Shang Tsung; erased any trace of humanity.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I'd just be happy with Sektor and Cyrax being made playable. Anything else would just be a bonus.

Cyrax and Sektor could have a lot of customization if they also include their human forms like they did in MK9.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that is how it's intended to be.

Oh no. That's a bummer, especially since us who already had the premium spent extra to buy them based on that.
Jade with the orange effects was the greatest! Now the glowy vials don't really correspond to anything.

I don't suppose you could pass the request along on behalf of the disappointed #JadeArmy members to revert it to how they were when released? I know it may not have been an intentional "bait and switch", but such flair is a big part of extra paid cosmetics. It wouldn't feel as bad if these didn't cost extra on top of KP1.

No worries if you don't have any control on the call, and thank you for responding, but hopefully you can still pass along the feedback.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Dang, everytime I hear or see that Stryker reference when Robocop talk to Jax, my heart just sink.

You'll always be Super Cop to me. :'(

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
That only explains how she managed to stomp everyone in MK9.
Yeah, but also why she didn't became good again. In the original timeline she was evil until reuniting with Kitana. Even her storyline only made mention of Kitana been her daughter at her ending, without that she was just the evil queen of Outworld whose sudden death devastated Shao Kahn.

Plus everything known about Sindel was always heresay, so she acting the way she does could be based on others manipulating the truth. I also haven't seen any info about why everything about her banshee scream now summons some evil entity.

So there could be multiple reasons as to why she is how she is in MK11, instead of just a retcon. Trying to be as spoiler-free as possible. :p

Unless the team confirmed it was retconned, so that erases everything I just posted . XD

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
The reason the banshee appears when she screams is unexplained, at least for now. It's not the first time her screaming has caused a ghastly appearance though.

sindel-mortal-kombat-animated-gif-4.gif

It's awesome. MK11 Sindel is so rad imo.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I wish I could just refuse wifi players. I accept the match at 68 ping. Then once in game, it starts shooting between 184 and back to 80, back up to the high 100s. Constantly

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that sucks, wiote common for pings to jump up very high when you get in the game.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Just finished aftermath. Gotta say: (story spoilers below)

after EITHER of those endings (I doubt Shang's is canon, I REALLY hope we get another story dlc for MK11. I feel like it needs it tbh. On the other hand, Liu's almost seems like a decent setup for the sequel but given all the timey wimey hijinx necessary for plot I feel like it should be apart of this game. Oh, and FGLK is a dickhead. "I'm going to bring my friends back it's no big deal that they suffered and experienced horrific deaths."