• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an easy way to unlock maskless versions of the characters? I dropped this like 6 months ago i think and never went back. I really dont want to do towers or any of the single player stuff just play online.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I would be surprised if that was the case. Both MKX and IJ2 had trophies attached to their second round of DLC. I figured we would see the trophy list by today, but it is possible it won't be found until the content is officially unlocked.

Yeah, that's why I was so surprised we hadn't seen them yet. But yeah, hopefully, they'll just update tomorrow. It would be kind of weird not to have them with a full story expansion and everything lol

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Is there an easy way to unlock maskless versions of the characters? I dropped this like 6 months ago i think and never went back. I really dont want to do towers or any of the single player stuff just play online.

Oh man, I think giving koins to that big statue in the Krypt is the way you get most of them iirc? It's been a long time, but I think that's how I got both Jade and Kitana's

What's the likelihood that the preorder skins will go for sale later on?

The cosplay costumes for XL went on sale after XL came out, and I think every skin pack is up for sale separately now, so very likely I'd say.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017

Keep an eye on the premium store I guess. Last week, Frost, Kitana, and , I think, Scorpion, appeared multiple times last week when I logged in.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not known 100%, but XL had base game on disc with DLC code, so odds are it'll be the same here.
That's not true. XL is all on disc.
Is the US only Physical release gonna be all on disc or will I have to download some data?? Does anybody know???
Question: is all the DLC on the disc?

Answer: Yes with the exception of the skin packs which will be released over time. You will find a voucher code for the skin packs within the game case.
By WBGamesSupport Manufacturer on May 14, 2020

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Played a lot of MK11 at launch, had fun, and then shelved it till more fighters arrived. I'm looking forward to tomorrow so I can dig back into the game again.

Feb 4, 2018
So they haven't eased the cosmetic grind at all? Dang, I was thinking of grabbing the complete edition on Steam instead of buying the expansion for my PS4 copy, but I'm not gonna spend another 100 hours grinding for the gear I want.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
So they haven't eased the cosmetic grind at all? Dang, I was thinking of grabbing the complete edition on Steam instead of buying the expansion for my PS4 copy, but I'm not gonna spend another 100 hours grinding for the gear I want.

I haven't played for awhile, but my understanding is did a patch for it, but by and large, getting gear is still pretty grindy.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Paid off and ready to go on PS4 and Switch. I'm dying to dive in.

How are you liking the Switch version of the base game? I'm tempted to snag a copy for Switch, but am trying to temper my expectations of the port from a visual/image-quality perspective. The portable aspect of the port is what's intriguing me, otherwise I'd cop on PS4 Pro.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on when the last time you played was. I didn't play since around launch and popped it in recently. The grind is still there, but it's several times faster to get skins now than it was then.

Pretty much every series of towers in the towers of time allows you to get one skin and some cosmetics for the character you're playing as now on top of the awards after completing all towers in that series. So, you can even get skins on towers where you already got the rewards.

The daily tag towers, there's now three with one fight each. You can get a skin for the character you're using for completing each of them, and then the reward is 3 more skins for the characters you beat if you complete them all. The single battle rapid towers typically give you a skin for the character you're using now as well, then you can replay them again on brutal difficulty and get another.

The major upside to this is you can get almost every skin now just by playing towers with the character you want skins for. You don't have to wait to see one of their towers. There are still costumes exclusive to other modes, however. The only tower skins you can't get by completing towers are the ones exclusive to the premier towers and the character towers that you purchase.

I got all of Sindel's 40 skins in something like 4 hours across a day and a half of time.

Last edited:

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I really want to bite in this because I always enjoy the story modes in the last few MK games. I'm just having a really hard time wrapping my head around the price. I feel like it should have been $25, max... $15-ish for the three fighters and $10 for the story add-on.

I have a few more hours to decide how badly I want the preorder costumes. Though I wonder if they'll be available separately down the line.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
How are you liking the Switch version of the base game? I'm tempted to snag a copy for Switch, but am trying to temper my expectations of the port from a visual/image-quality perspective. The portable aspect of the port is what's intriguing me, otherwise I'd cop on PS4 Pro.
The Krypt is WWE 2K18 Switch levels of terrible, hovering around 20 FPS and sporting more fog than a Turok and Silent Hill mash-up. Crashes galore there too.

As for the main game, visuals definitely take a hit, mostly noticeable on hair which is dithered beyond belief but the performance is solid and it's content complete. It runs at the full 60 FPS and feels every bit as solid mechanically as the other versions. The portability is a bit of a mixed bag insofar as the offline offerings are essentially played exclusively for fun as you need to be online to earn credits, skins and whatnot.

Overall, it's certainly a bit rough around the edges but it's still a complete version of MK11 that runs at 60 FPS and can be taken anywhere. You'll notice the visual hit and the shitty Krypt but the wonderful gameplay will eventually distract you enough that you won't even worry about the concessions.

Feb 4, 2018
I haven't played for awhile, but my understanding is did a patch for it, but by and large, getting gear is still pretty grindy.
It depends on when the last time you played was. I didn't play since around launch and popped it in recently. The grind is still there, but it's several times faster to get skins now than it was then.

Pretty much every series of towers in the towers of time allows you to get one skin and some cosmetics for the character you're playing as now on top of the awards after completing all towers in that series. So, you can even get skins on towers where you already got the rewards.

The daily tag towers, there's now three with one fight each. You can get a skin for the character you're using for completing each of them, and then the reward is 3 more skins for the characters you beat if you complete them all. The single battle rapid towers typically give you a skin for the character you're using now as well, then you can replay them again on brutal difficulty and get another.

The major upside to this is you can get almost every skin now just by playing towers with the character you want skins for. You don't have to wait to see one of their towers. There are still costumes exclusive to other modes, however. The only tower skins you can't get by completing towers are the ones exclusive to the premier towers.

I got all of Sindel's 40 skins in something like 4 hours across a day and a half of time.
Thanks folks! It does sound way better than the last time I played, which was June-ish. I definitely couldn't get a character's skins just by using them in the towers, so that's a huge bonus. At least I could save all my koins to throw into the shrine rather than opening skin chests, lol. Might actually double-dip on PC then, since it's only $10 more than Kombat Pack + Aftermath.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I really want to bite in this because I always enjoy the story modes in the last few MK games. I'm just having a really hard time wrapping my head around the price. I feel like it should have been $25, max... $15-ish for the three fighters and $10 for the story add-on.

I have a few more hours to decide how badly I want the preorder costumes. Though I wonder if they'll be available separately down the line.

I mean, there is no doubt that they will be available separately down the line. I doubt they'll be the only costume package released so far that is not buyable for some random reason lol

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018

The story add on is expensive to make. I think 20 to 25 dollars for that alone is fair and then they have been charging 5.99 each for the characters, so $40 seems reasonable. I'm sure if you don't want to pay it that there will be a sale in a month or two.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx

VO, Scripting, editing, scene direction, storyboarding, music scoring and all that are expensive and time consuming. Especially with a large cast of charecters .

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A real surprise would be Shang Tsung not going to inevitably betray Raiden and LK.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The story add on is expensive to make. I think 20 to 25 dollars for that alone is fair and then they have been charging 5.99 each for the characters, so $40 seems reasonable. I'm sure if you don't want to pay it that there will be a sale in a month or two.
VO, Scripting, editing, scene direction, storyboarding, music scoring and all that are expensive and time consuming. Especially with a large cast of charecters .
$40 is 2/3's the cost of the base game. That's my main reservation. I know nobody is making me buy the DLC right away, I could wait for a sale. I'm just saying if it were cheaper out of the gate, I'd absolutely buy it without a second thought. Netherrealm does a great job with their story modes.

When it comes to inventive to grab it now, I tend to roll the MK2 skin for Scorpion and something adjacent for Subby. I never use Frost though. So I guess I wouldn't really be missing out not getting the preorder skins.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
$40 is 2/3's the cost of the base game. That's my main reservation. I know nobody is making me buy the DLC right away, I could wait for a sale. I'm just saying if it were cheaper out of the gate, I'd absolutely buy it without a second thought. Netherrealm does a great job with their story modes.

When it comes to inventive to grab it now, I tend to roll the MK2 skin for Scorpion and something adjacent for Subby. I never use Frost though. So I guess I wouldn't really be missing out not getting the preorder skins.

I think it's about paying for some quality "extra". They could have made a lot of things that are free paid included but didn't.

Personally I am not getting it but if it had the character I was excited about (Ash) I would have without thinking about it.

The story is gonna be top tier, the characters they're adding look sick as fuck, knocked it out of the park honestly, and the free gameplay add ons ear good will.

I agree the whole upgrade could have been a tad cheaper like 35 would be fair. Obviously WB dictates the prices but the devs made it worth it, it's a luxury though if you're struggling atm skip it and wait for sale. If not, know you're rewarding a lot of efforts.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
That's a fair enough point but you have to consider that a limited number of people will buy the content when compared to the base game, so the price has to be higher to make a profit. I agree with you though that you aren't getting the bang for the buck you got for your original purchase.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I think it's about paying for some quality "extra". They could have made a lot of things that are free paid included but didn't.

Personally I am not getting it but if it had the character I was excited about (Ash) I would have without thinking about it.

The story is gonna be top tier, the characters they're adding look sick as fuck, knocked it out of the park honestly, and the free gameplay add ons ear good will.

I agree the whole upgrade could have been a tad cheaper like 35 would be fair. Obviously WB dictates the prices but the devs made it worth it, it's a luxury though if you're struggling atm skip it and wait for sale. If not, know you're rewarding a lot of efforts.
If Ash had been the guest character, I'd be on board despite the high ask. Fujin, Sheeva and Robocop don't do anything for me.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a fair enough point but you have to consider that a limited number of people will buy the content when compared to the base game, so the price has to be higher to make a profit. I agree with you though that you aren't getting the bang for the buck you got for your original purchase.
It doesn't need to be higher, a limited number of people will buy it because its so expensive and the fact this probably won't be the end of dlc for the game.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, I think giving koins to that big statue in the Krypt is the way you get most of them iirc? It's been a long time, but I think that's how I got both Jade and Kitana's

The cosplay costumes for XL went on sale after XL came out, and I think every skin pack is up for sale separately now, so very likely I'd say.
Thank you very much! Whew. I have no time to play and the price is a bit steep for just this expansion. I'm grab this down the line when I can actually play games again, and I'm glad I won't miss out on the other skin pack.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
It doesn't need to be higher, a limited number of people will buy it because its so expensive and the fact this probably won't be the end of dlc for the game.
Those people will buy it when it goes on sale. They have financial people looking at cost of production and what they will make over the lifetime of the product at all price points.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If Ash had been the guest character, I'd be on board despite the high ask. Fujin, Sheeva and Robocop don't do anything for me.

brother

tenor.gif

Yes but that doesn't mean it justifies the price especially for fans that had all the content.

Ok but look at what happened to the kombat pack, it was super pricey and they kept discounting it to half price long before they had even 2 characters released lol ... That was worse than the aftermath situation.

Oct 26, 2017
Super excited to dive into training mode with Sheeva, as well as seeing the patch notes when they're released(hopefully tonight!).

Gonna replay the MK11 story to hype myself up for tomorrow morning.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
What time will this be live tomorrow? Excited to dive into the story.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm looking forward to all three characters in this update/expansion! Gonna hit training mode with all three and see if there's any of them that really strike a chord with me. If not, maybe I'll work on getting better with Cassie. I haven't played since last summer and I was maining Sub-Zero at the time, but it looks like he kinda fell behind in the meta a bit since then. Cassie and Jacque were always in the back of my mind to learn, but I'm thinking Sheeva, Fujin, and Robocop are all looking cool as hell!

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I was searching out for the Aftermath DLC on the brazilian Playstation Store and holy mother, the price is 165 BRL. I could buy 6 individual DLC characters for this game with that amount of money, yeah I think I'm gonna wait because I don't care about skins and I'm sure the story content would be "play once and never touch it again" to me.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok but look at what happened to the kombat pack, it was super pricey and they kept discounting it to half price long before they had even 2 characters released lol ... That was worse than the aftermath situation.
Not really, They did that with all of them but them overpricing the pack like they did for existing people is much worst that that. it's an insult to fans imo.

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
Watched the breakdown of sheeva and robocop today and I am not a fan of the fact some of the armor break moves are tied to certain variations/specials. What a bummer =(

Oct 25, 2017
K-uestions:

Against my better judgement, I watched the storyline for MK9 on Youtube. I even bought it when it was out yet never played the campaign.

What, exactly, did it end up 'making canon' before MK 10?

Similarly, I have MK 10 (base game) and have never played the story.

I just want to know what changed from the stuff I think I had a handle on during the MK9 days (eg is SubZero a cyborg?)

Did they have a multi-verse reset brining back the traditional roster to modern times, but de-aged?

Watching Youtube cutscene collections is something I never liked, case in point nothing about the story has stuck with me, should have played it.

Does Aftermath all but make MK12 official? I might hold off and get all three one day.

I keep hearing about the whole 'MK2 v MK3' thing when talking about 10 v 11, and yes I've been reading about the pros and cons of each. Is MK10 v MK11 really the 'dark' v 'light' dichotomy or whatever contrast you want to throw at them?

Best controller, if you had to choose? I have decided I might try a fight stick this time.

I ended up never getting the extra stuff for MK10, there's no reason I shouldn't get MK11 standalone is there?

Thanks in advance Outworlders.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
K-uestions:

Against my better judgement, I watched the storyline for MK9 on Youtube. I even bought it when it was out yet never played the campaign.

I just want to know what changed from the stuff I think I had a handle on during the MK9 days (eg is SubZero a cyborg?)

Did they have a multi-verse reset brining back the traditional roster to modern times, but de-aged?

Watching Youtube cutscene collections is something I never liked, case in point nothing about the story has stuck with me, should have played it.

Does Aftermath all but make MK12 official? I might hold off and get all three one day.

I keep hearing about the whole 'MK2 v MK3' thing when talking about 10 v 11, and yes I've been reading about the pros and cons of each. Is MK10 v MK11 really the 'dark' v 'light' dichotomy or whatever contrast you want to throw at them?

Best controller, if you had to choose? I have decided I might try a fight stick this time.

I ended up never getting the extra stuff for MK10, there's no reason I shouldn't get MK11 standalone is there?

Not that I've noticed. MKX is a darker game, sure, but I don't really think it's dark and light.

Regular controller. Fight sticks are great. I recommend a qanba obsidian. However, MK doesn't need a stick at all and doesn't benefit from it.

I'd recommend getting the full experience. MK11 Aftermath has 10 more characters, and the story mode is around 50% longer. It's also just the price of a full game for all of it. If you're concerned about price, since you already waited you can wait a little longer, this will undoubtedly be cheap on Black Friday... probably what you would pay for vanilla today if you wait 6 months.

Also, MKXL (with all the DLC) is $7 on the store right now. So, if you ever wanted to experience all of it, there you go.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
What time we going live on PS4? I can't play tonight since I have work early in the morning, but was hoping I'd have it all downloaded before I go to bed.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Between MK9 and 11? Basically all dead MK9 characters became revenant slaves of Quan Chi, but some were saved and brought back to life during a battle between Raiden and Quan Chi, like Sub-Zero, which is how Sub-Zero ended up back as a human. Others remained as evil revenants though (like future Liu Kang). MK11 itself has a time travel premise though, so you've got past and future versions of many characters.

K-uestions:

About story questions:
There's no de-aging of the cast, MK10 and 11 take place 20 years after MK9. 9, when all is said and done, ended back in the 90s with Shao Khan stopped but with stuff in the timeline still altered, like Liu Kang having been accidentally killed.

MK10 is a straight and linear story about the consequences of the timeline alterations made during MK9. The new canon is the final state of things at the very end of MK9. Lots of characters like Liu Kang are now dead, Johnny and Sonya ended up being the "winners" of the original MK trilogy by virtue of surviving. The fate of key characters like Sub-Zero being a cyborg is dealt with. Essentially every MK game between the ending of MK3 and the opening of MK9, didn't happen the same way in the new timeline.

MK11 involves time manipulation, but not like MK9 where messages were sent to the past to change it. Younger versions of characters meet their older selves, but nobody is replaced or de-aged.