• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of DLC characters and non-canon endings, The Terminator's ending in MK11 is fucking awesome. It's a mix of war games and T2. The terminator becomes master of time, and endlessly simulates the war between man and machine, trying to come to a solution where the machines win and exterminate humanity. But he keeps coming to a conclusion where both ensure mutual destruction. He learns that "the only way to win, is to not play." So he crafts a future where man and machine don't become enemies, but flourish as a utopia. He then realizes that someone could learn of the hour glass through his own memories, and that his knowledge is dangerous. So he lowers himself into the bottomless sea, so no one can ever find him, giving a T2 style thumbs up as he descends.

I loved this. The Terminator here wasn't explicitly good either, so if a killing machine can learn peace and make a selfless sacrifice, it is a very optimistic and hopeful ending.

That feeling when MK11 tells a better Terminator arc than most of the movies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
How is Robocop not a joke character? Same as the terminator, the joker and other "guests". They take spots that should have been old prefered characters like Rain, Reptile, Cyrax and so on.
Preferred by who?

They're not jokes just because you would prefer someone else, Terminator and Robocop make the game far more appealing to me than the characters you just mentioned.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
How so? You're the ones offended over me calling them joke characters. I honestly couldn't give two shits about what you don't want me to call them, I just find it humurous.
I'm not offended, lol, I'm pointing out that your comment was a bit silly calling them "preferred" and a "joke" just because you don't like them.

Calling my comment "defense force" just makes you read like a meme, too.

Oct 27, 2017
How is Robocop not a joke character? Same as the terminator, the joker and other "guests". They take spots that should have been old prefered characters like Rain, Reptile, Cyrax and so on.
The Joker is one of the coolest realizations of that character ever! how is he a joke character when he's out there winning pro tournaments. They aren't obligated to bring back Rain or whoever. Guest characters are a thing. you should be used to it by now.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
Just because Guest characters a huge commercial draw doesn't mean fans clamouring for actual MK characters should just accept that fact.

It's a good thing they're dlc only instead of being forcefully shoehorned in the base roster.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
The best-selling DLC characters in MK9, Injustice, and MKX were the guests, so clearly they're more "preferred" by the masses than whatever MK B-listers are missing from the roster.

twitter.com

Ed Boon on Twitter

“Freddy Ended up being the best selling of all the DLC characters in MK9... Hmm? ....go figure!”
Freddy Ended up being the best selling of all the DLC characters in MK9
www.gameinformer.com

Ed Boon Would Be Open To A Horror Movie Fighting Game

The co-creator of Mortal Kombat also talks about the process of adding guest characters into NetherRealm's fighting games.
But you know, Scorpion in Injustice was the most downloaded of all the characters. [...] Alien and Predator in Mortal Kombat X were the most downloaded of those

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at the people getting mad and annoyed at the Friendships

Who the hell is complaining about the Friendships? They're the best thing ever.
The first few that were shown put a huge smile on my face.

Scorpion steals Pop's teddy from Genysis!

Sub turn's Johnny's summer job idea into something more practical!

Kano makes good on getting people to taste his sausage!

Noob's double dutch jump rope....I got nothing...Erm...Inspired by Jax?

THERE IS LORE IN THESE FRIENDSHIPS, PEOPLE!

Wait I thought the arnold terminator was a good guy?

On the MK 11 website his bio doesn't really give much info outside of the fact that this version of the T800 101 is from Dark Fate. Nothing regarding who he is fighting for but since he's the same T800 from Dark Fate, you can assume that he's not a good guy initially + the 'non canon' ending.

In the MK universe Carl's alliance fluctuates depending on pre-fight banter. He tells Raiden that SkyNet is going to exterminate their Earth because all organic life is a threat. He is either trying to kill John or protect John, he's searching for Sarah/trying to kill her. Sonya is targeted for termination. In intro's with himself, the T800s are there to support SkyNet or Legion, one will say they're hunting John, the other will say they're protecting him. He downright says he killed Subzero in an intro with Jackie. He is also there to train Kitana/protect/save her and the realms but also terminate her in another dialogue. In dialogue with Jax, he says that he's going to terminate him and then in another, Jax is pissed cause Johnny flipped on his learning switch (Jax reprogrammed Carl, and is mentioned to Jade in dialogue as well as training her/terminating her). In another interaction, Joker tried to reprogram him and failed iirc.

Its a a huge inconsistent mess and kinda hard to throw a story together out of it.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
That's the end of what I know sadly. I just asked him about anything else and he said he can't tell me. I also can't read his facial expressions because we are all wearing masks lol. I know nothing new since the last thread we had the same discussion on sadly.

If I ever hear anything new I'll relay it. But I hound at least once a day on info. But everything has been super hush hush lately with the new consoles around the corner.....at least from my only source of info.

Well no worries. But if you do ever get new info on Ash please private message me. I just want to know If I should give up on that groovy dream.

The friendships and stage fatalities aren't part of the paid portion of the package.

They have to recoup the developement costs for those things somehow. People buying Aftermath are how they plan to do so. Late entrants in fighting games will always get a better deal than early adopters with the caveat that they have to wait longer to play the game. It is what it is.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have to recoup the developement costs for those things somehow. People buying Aftermath are how they plan to do so. Late entrants in fighting games will always get a better deal than early adopters with the caveat that they have to wait longer to play the game. It is what it is.
I'm not disagreeing and most times i don't have an issue but for the price they are asking and what they are offering in it feels a little thin than even kombat pass 1 and if you already own the rest than it feels like an even worst deal.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
People are still complaining about guest characters???
They sell copies, they're here to stay and I love them. Deal with it

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

First of all, no one cares about lousy ass Rain. Lets get that out of the way.

Secondly, the guest characters have always been the biggest selling point for MK DLC, for both fans and newcomers.

Oct 27, 2017
That's the end of what I know sadly. I just asked him about anything else and he said he can't tell me. I also can't read his facial expressions because we are all wearing masks lol. I know nothing new since the last thread we had the same discussion on sadly.

If I ever hear anything new I'll relay it. But I hound at least once a day on info. But everything has been super hush hush lately with the new consoles around the corner.....at least from my only source of info.

You should also ask when theyre going to announce the worst kept secret about the MK Klassics (1, 2, UMK3) coming to current systems. With that leak a few months back about the "Mortal Kombat Kollection Online" being rated at PEGI we know its coming. I dont know why they dont just say so....its not like it would decrease any interest in MK11 by them doing so.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

"should have been" is subjective. Clearly the studio feels differently and it's their IP.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX

I don't think you understand what "joke" means either. Just say you don't want guests, instead of calling them something they aren't. They don't take "spots" or "slots" if they never had it to begin with.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
I don't know if this has been asked but are all the skins that were released separate from the kombat pack included in this?

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
So are the characters going to be sold separately like with the kombat pack?

On steam you can pre-purchase Aftermath but CDN$ 49.99 is too steep when I only want a couple characters.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Maybe some people want a cyborg in MK who doesn't suck :)
3USgt2g.gif

So are the characters going to be sold separately like with the kombat pack?

On steam you can pre-purchase Aftermath but CDN$ 49.99 is too steep when I only want a couple characters.
Most likely they will.

Oct 26, 2017
So.... 6 more DLC characters? Ash got taken out due to licensing issues?

That's the rumor as of now, regarding Ash anyway. In regards to future DLC characters, that is currently unknown. A lot of supposed leaks listed characters like Havik, Takeda, Cyrax/Sektor in addition to Ash, but those rumors are currently unfounded.

It's possible that the story DLC might tease something for the future. We'll see.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's the rumor as of now, regarding Ash anyway. In regards to future DLC characters, that is currently unknown. A lot of supposed leaks listed characters like Havik, Takeda, Cyrax/Sektor in addition to Ash, but those rumors are currently unfounded.

It's possible that the story DLC might tease something for the future. We'll see.

It says there's only 3 more characters coming with this bundle....

It seems Netherrealm has finally learned to support a game longer than a year.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Preferred by who?

They're not jokes just because you would prefer someone else, Terminator and Robocop make the game far more appealing to me than the characters you just mentioned.
Then they should be in their own game. If you SERIOUSLY believe that a guest character is far more appealing than core characters from the universe of the actual game.......then something is wrong and maybe MK just isn't the game for you.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Then they should be in their own game. If you SERIOUSLY believe that a guest character is far more appealing than core characters from the universe of the actual game.......then something is wrong and maybe MK just isn't the game for you.
Or maybe people just like the characters and want to play as them and this game lets you play as them?

Maybe it legitimately is as simple as that?

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017

This is such a dumb argument... I love MK and have nearly my entire life. Played every entry, purchased most of them, love the lore and the characters, yet I'm ecstatic to see the guest characters in MK11. IMO they fit in perfectly and part of the fun is seeing them interact with existing characters from the universe. Nothing is wrong with liking guest characters. If there was no guests and they used those slots for existing MK characters, guess what? People would still complain if some random character like Blaze or Reiko didn't make it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The game is clearly for me because it's giving me exactly what I want, lol.

Maybe it isn't for you right now, though?

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm kind of bummed by the price. I've already spent a fair bit on this game and I didn't even touch the last couple characters. I just want to play Sheeva.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
This thread has slowed down a lot so I'm going to ask this one last time and hope someone knows.

I bought this game physically originally, just the base game no KP or anything. Was thinking of going digital for Aftermath and just getting the full package. Will my save be compatible? I had a lot of stuff unlocked, plus all the story mode stuff completed obviously. Just don't want to start over again

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I don't like how they made Sheeva's face look more "human". I'm sure it was done mostly for cut-scenes, so she could better emote or whatever, but I thought she was a lot more interesting when she was more "otherworldly" looking.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
This thread has slowed down a lot so I'm going to ask this one last time and hope someone knows.

I bought this game physically originally, just the base game no KP or anything. Was thinking of going digital for Aftermath and just getting the full package. Will my save be compatible? I had a lot of stuff unlocked, plus all the story mode stuff completed obviously. Just don't want to start over again
I believe that it doesn't matter. For Xbox, looks like saves works on both physical and digital across all games, the only thing that's different is physical requires the disc to be in. A google search suggests that Playstation is that "most" game saves are compatible across both, but not all.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017

I can't speak for MK11 specifically but I can't see why it wouldn't be compatible. Did this with several other games when I switched to all digital a few years back and never lost anything.

Oct 27, 2017

You want to get the digital bundle with base game plus KP1 and Aftermath correct? The save will be compatible from your physical version to the digital.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I believe that it doesn't matter. For Xbox, looks like saves works on both physical and digital across all games, the only thing that's different is physical requires the disc to be in. A google search suggests that Playstation is that "most" game saves are compatible across both, but not all.

I have PS4, so I wonder if there is a way to see if MK works or not. May go physical just to be safe, I guess