• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Not familiar with MK lore. Is there some sort of plot device by which slain characters come back to life?

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having issues preordering on ps4? I keep getting error code WC-40360-3 saying this product can't be purchase at this time.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
Not familiar with MK lore. Is there some sort of plot device by which slain characters come back to life?
Magic and constant divine intervention. Death is meaningless in the MK narrative as characters are almost always revived. From what's been shown in the Aftermath trailer this will be the third time Sindel's revival is used as a plot device lmfao.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There are lots of ways MK characters come back, but usually they are actually demons which lets old heroes come back as future villains. Sometimes there are better explanations, though. Like Sub-Zero dies in Mortal Kombat 1, but a big part of the original mystery in Mortal Kombat 2 was that he showed back up alive. Turns out he was his younger brother, the old Sub-Zero was Bi-Han, while the younger is Kuai Liang, who wears his clothes to honor his brother. The story of Sub-Zero, his clan, and the rivalry with Scorpion is the best part of MK.

Watch the story to MK9, it's basically a feature length movie. It's a soft reboot that assumes you know virtually none of the lore. It's glorious. Here's a video of it, with the intro to the previous game, Armageddon, which MK9 is a direct follow up to.

That said, death in Mortal Kombat's story usually carries big reprecussions, it's not quite like DBZ where death is meaningless. In terms of story, death in MK usually affects alliances and character's personalities permanently. And the series isn't afraid to let someone die for story reasons, then sit out multiple games. Shang Tsung has been dead since MK9, for example. Him popping up here is a big twist.

Deleted member 64503

Banned
Mar 13, 2020
Think fujin looks awesome and just the kind of character I've been missing in this game.
But 40$ for 2 other characters I have no interest in and a few story chapters, Robocop even as a huge fan as a kid this does nothing for just like terminator in the game

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This scene basically shows easy resurrection is in the narrative.

Raiden's god powers + Quan Chi's magic = problem solved lmfao.

this is quite literally the only time that happens in the series, and a plot point in the game is how quan chi is killed and thus this can never be done again. Which is why the majority of the cast from MK9 remain dead and don't come back for MK11 except scorpion and sub-zero and jax.

In the original timeline, they killed Liu Kang after MK4 and left him dead until MK9.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
this is quite literally the only time that happens in the series, and a plot point in the game is how quan chi is killed and thus this can never be done again. Which is why the majority of the cast from MK9 remain dead and don't come back for MK11 except scorpion and sub-zero and jax.

In the original timeline, they killed Liu Kang after MK4 and left him dead until MK9.
In the OG timeline Sindel, Johnny Cage and Mileena were revived during the events of MK3. Kitana, Kung Lao, Sonya, Jax, and Johnny Cage (again) were revived by Onaga in Deception. Shang Tsung's soul, being tied to Shao Kahn brought him back to life prior to Armageddon.

Let's not act like characters can't be brought back at random with magic and deity power hacks.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the OG timeline Sindel, Johnny Cage and Mileena were revived during the events of MK3. Kitana, Kung Lao, Sonya, Jax, and Johnny Cage (again) were revived by Onaga in Deception. Shang Tsung's soul, being tied to Shao Kahn brought him back to life prior to Armageddon.

Let's not act like characters can't be brought back at random with magic and deity power hacks.

Saying "sindel was revived" is stretching it, since she was also introduced in MK3, and sat sidelined as a wraith after MK3 til MK9. And she was "revived" as a mindless slave, solely as a technicality, specifically to break the bond of the Mortal Kombat pact. They basically dug up her body, and stuffed it with mind control.

Mileena is a series of imperfect clones of Kitana.

Johnny Cage's stuff was non-cannon after MK3 when he died. In his ending, he revealed the entire series of games are just a movie and he's an actor playing a role.

johnnycage_end2.png

etc.

I mean, you're not saying anything I didn't say:

it's not quite like DBZ where death is meaningless. In terms of story, death in MK usually affects alliances and character's personalities permanently. And the series isn't afraid to let someone die for story reasons, then sit out multiple games.

Traveling to hell to fight a former hero who is now a slave to the ruler of hell as a demon is quite a bit different than saying "everyone comes back to life."

Last edited:

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
Saying "sindel was revived" is stretching it, since she was also introduced in MK3, and sat sidelined after MK3 til MK9. And she was "revived" as a mindless slave, solely as a technicality, specifically to break the bond of the Mortal Kombat pact. They basically dug up her body, and stuffed it with mind control.
Yeah, only to be set free by Kitana. And then she returned to her previous role as Queen of Edenia, participating in the rebellion during Deception and again in the final battle in Armageddon. But she wasn't an undead revenant. She was still revived as a living breathing person mind control or otherwise.

Mileena is a series of imperfect clones of Kitana.
And? That doesn't change the fact that MK2 Mileena was killed, sent to the Netherrealm, and was subsequently revived by Shinnok and sent to Earthrealm as a spy. It's not like she was replaced with a backup clone.

Johnny Cage's stuff was non-cannon after MK3 when he died. In his ending, he revealed the entire series of games are just a movie and he's an actor playing a role.
I don't understand this statement. He still died in MK3. He was subsequently revived because his soul wasn't able to 'ascend' for whatever reason. He resurrected himself and was alive and well until he died during the end of Deadly Alliance, only to be revived by Onaga and then set free of the mind control by Ermac.

Death is meaningless in this franchise because characters can come back as the narrative wills it, and doesn't really affect relationships permanently contrary to your statement. That's all there is to it.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
There are lots of ways MK characters come back, but usually they are actually demons which lets old heroes come back as future villains. Sometimes there are better explanations, though. Like Sub-Zero dies in Mortal Kombat 1, but a big part of the original mystery in Mortal Kombat 2 was that he showed back up alive. Turns out he was his younger brother, the old Sub-Zero was Bi-Han, while the younger is Kuai Liang, who wears his clothes to honor his brother. The story of Sub-Zero, his clan, and the rivalry with Scorpion is the best part of MK.

Watch the story to MK9, it's basically a feature length movie. It's a soft reboot that assumes you know virtually none of the lore. It's glorious. Here's a video of it, with the intro to the previous game, Armageddon, which MK9 is a direct follow up to.

That said, death in Mortal Kombat's story usually carries big reprecussions, it's not quite like DBZ where death is meaningless. In terms of story, death in MK usually affects alliances and character's personalities permanently. And the series isn't afraid to let someone die for story reasons, then sit out multiple games. Shang Tsung has been dead since MK9, for example. Him popping up here is a big twist.

This is great - thanks. Always appreciate your friendly passion for stuff, Krejlooc. :)

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I think the game would need a good amount of mechanical changes for me to dip back in. I liked MKX alot, but the system in 11 feels really limiting.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Apparently the eShop is listing all the pieces of the DLC as separate purchases, so I suppose you can still buy just the characters for 15 bucks and not get the story stuff.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Apparently the eShop is listing all the pieces of the DLC as separate purchases, so I suppose you can still buy just the characters for 15 bucks and not get the story stuff.
Yeah, that's generally been the case for all DLC in the game. The Kombat Pack was legit good value all things considered cause 40$ got you 6 characters and a LOT of skins, but this really isn't lol.

I think I'll do the same and buy ala carte.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of DLC characters and non-canon endings, The Terminator's ending in MK11 is fucking awesome. It's a mix of war games and T2. The terminator becomes master of time, and endlessly simulates the war between man and machine, trying to come to a solution where the machines win and exterminate humanity. But he keeps coming to a conclusion where both ensure mutual destruction. He learns that "the only way to win, is to not play." So he crafts a future where man and machine don't become enemies, but flourish as a utopia. He then realizes that someone could learn of the hour glass through his own memories, and that his knowledge is dangerous. So he lowers himself into the bottomless sea, so no one can ever find him, giving a T2 style thumbs up as he descends.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. The skin packs are not (all) coming out at the same time but the characters are coming out on May 26th along with the story, new stages, stage fatalities and friendships.

It is odd the skins aren't coming out upfront too. It means the physical version doesn't have everything on disc.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
We're not getting Reptile in this game, are we
Yeah it's weird that he's not in the game. Besides Goro, I think he's the only MK1 character not in 11.

The glass half full take on this, however, is that at least you don't have to see the next awful look they give Reptile.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Only characters I really miss are reptile ,smoke ,rain ,kenshi , tanya, and takeda. But that amount is enough to sell a sequel and you gotta save something for the sequel.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of DLC characters and non-canon endings, The Terminator's ending in MK11 is fucking awesome. It's a mix of war games and T2. The terminator becomes master of time, and endlessly simulates the war between man and machine, trying to come to a solution where the machines win and exterminate humanity. But he keeps coming to a conclusion where both ensure mutual destruction. He learns that "the only way to win, is to not play." So he crafts a future where man and machine don't become enemies, but flourish as a utopia. He then realizes that someone could learn of the hour glass through his own memories, and that his knowledge is dangerous. So he lowers himself into the bottomless sea, so no one can ever find him, giving a T2 style thumbs up as he descends.
Wait I thought the arnold terminator was a good guy?