• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad games like this continue to have active communities working on them.
This is what makes PC gaming great, in my opinion.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
My big issue with Morrowind mods in the past is that they tend to remove the fog. A combination of slow movement and limited visibility made Morrowind feel bigger than it actually was.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It looks nice, but I wouldn't say it looks current gen. The moment you see the spacing on the grass and objects that are supposed to be rounded not be so round, which is the majority of that trailer, it immediately removes that notion.

Impressive work nonetheless, especially for a game I hate. But they should up the polygons on some of the terrain and add in more grass.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Looks technically superior, I guess. There's just something about how most graphic/visual mods fail to have a professional and cohesive aesthetic that makes them ultimately fail to improve graphics, even though they offer a technically better alternative.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
This looks cool. Personally more excited for that fan remake with VA etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I'm still waiting for Lua mod integration before switching from my heavily modded Code Patch-based install to OpenMW, but they've made amazing strides regardless. The sky's the limit for this, especially once Oblivion and Skyrim can run on it.

There's just something about how most graphic/visual mods fail to have a professional and cohesive aesthetic that makes them ultimately fail to improve graphics, even though they offer a technically better alternative.
You're right about so many hand-drawn texture overhauls, but AI upscales like Intelligent Textures for Morrowind do a great job of preserving the original aesthetic but at HD/4K remaster quality. Some character/geometry mods definitely go overboard, though. I've made my peace with the original models.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
First i'm going to finish Skyrim with 600+ mods, then i'll definitely play OpenMW. And after both of them, i'll play modded Oblivion for sure.

2021 is the Elder Scrolls year for me now that i upgraded my Pc. Never thought this games could look so good.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There used to be a mod for the original Morrowind that synthesised voices for written dialogues. Yes, it couldn't provide the acting element and depth of a proper voice actor but it did add a lot to the immersion in the end for people who. If this feature somehow ended up in OpenMW, I could see myself going back. For now, pretty graphics don't do much for me despite how impressive they have become for very old games.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
For those who don't know, OpenMW is an open-source engine whose aim is to recreate all of Morrowind's features in a modern engine (the same thing as OpenRA). This engine is also compatible with many of the mods made for the vanilla game.

Here's a look at the latest version of OpenMW, which is running over 300 mods:

I have been really thinking about replaying Morrowind lately. The year 2021 might be it.

Transistor tagging you because I know you'll want to see this.

Ooooooooooh, definitely checking this out. Thanks!

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Would much prefer the original to that. Not as hideous as a Skyrim one I saw recently but vanilla is a beautiful game in it's own way.

Can see it's use as an interesting alternative or for someone who's never played before and is put off by old graphics

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Morrowind genuinely might be the biggest one-hit wonder in the history of videogames. It is just so goddamn flavourful.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I would say it does look good, but those are just environment shots and doesn't look current gen, most likely even less so if it had characters in motion on it.
Also many of those textures just look too "retro 3D game HD texture pack" that many games have as mods, with just too much detail for the sake of detail.
Would much prefer the original to that. Not as hideous as a Skyrim one I saw recently but vanilla is a beautiful game in it's own way.

Can see it's use as an interesting alternative or for someone who's never played before and is put off by old graphics
I would probably agree.
Low texture resolution can have its charms.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Environments look good but what about the characters and the animations? It's usually the big stand out for immersion when it comes to graphical mods.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Looks light years ahead of OG Morrowind obviously, but still at best it looks like a 2013 or 2014 game

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Environments look good but what about the characters and the animations? It's usually the big stand out for immersion when it comes to graphical mods.
That's the ultimate goal of OpenMW: since it's a new engine, modders can do pretty much anything. Someone already posted a video of some new running animations earlier in this thread, but it's still early days for that.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, as someone who has appreciated and dabbled with mods with Bethesda games in the past, this is one of the most ambitious things I've ever seen come to fruition. This is even more ambitious than A Tale of Two Wastelands (which combines Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas into one contiguous game). You said that you can play this now?

Probably a silly question, but are mods built for the original Morrowind supported by this?

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
I think it looks like a 360/PS3 era game, so I guess thats an improvement. Maybe not as good as Skyrim. Also, environments are one thing, characters/animations are harder to improve fidelity on.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I tried replaying MW last year with just graphics mods, and was surprised at how well it holds up. The world is interesting, I love how lot of important worldbuilding is just in the background, and I found whole questlines like the temple priest faction that I never knew existed, even after playing it a ton when it released. A lot of time this run was spent reading books and just trying to soak in the details. I honestly expected it to feel really dated, but other than the really slow movement speed I had a blast. I'll definitely be revisiting Vvardenfell again once with OpenMW

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
What madness is this.
I hate Bethesda games. Hate their art style, hate their mechanics, hate their animations, love their bugs and wonky AI tho.

I'm strictly talking about Bethesda in a developmental capacity though, since I'm fine with Dishonored and the like. Starfield piqued my interest, but that's only because it's sci-fi. The moment it shows any sort of the classical Bethesda jank is the moment I immediately bow out.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
It's optimized. It's also not an ancient engine. This is an engine newly created pulling assets from Morrowind files, but not using the Bethesda engine at all.

I've tinkered with OpenMW recently and can say that, at least heavily modded, it still doesn't run very well. From what I understand there are technical reasons for this having to do with how the objects and texture data for the game is stored and broken up. But I'm sure they are working on solutions for this.

Probably a silly question, but are mods built for the original Morrowind supported by this?

Most of them are but some of them aren't. If you take a Morrowind game that was previously heavily modded with MGE XE-era stuff and attempt to run it with OpenMW it will work with some tinkering but you will probably see some weird shit. Glowing textures and the like for some objects. You probably need to start the modding over from scratch and make sure everything is compatible as you add it.