• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you stand?

• It's a good Resident Evil game

Votes: 676 85.5%
  • It's a good game but not a good Resident Evil game

Votes: 70 8.8%
  • It's a bad Resident Evil game.

Votes: 21 2.7%
  • It's neither good game nor a good Resident Evil game.

Votes: 24 3.0%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Back when Resident Evil 7 was still fresh on people's minds, I remember there being a lot of debate on whether the game was a good Resident Evil game or not, the main argument being that the camera change was too radical for a series that had always been in third person and that the story was fairly disconnected from the rest of the series' lore (particularly before the DLCs came out). Now, more than three years later since its release, where do you stand on this debate?

Personally, I always thought it was the Resident Evil game that came the closest to achieving the magical survival horror experience of RE1 and 2, and having replayed it very recently (finished it yesterday), my impression of it hasn't changed at all. The game nails absolutely everything I think makes Resident Evil special:

• The "power curve" is excellently done. From being scared as shit, borderline defense-less against enemies to having a lot of weapons with just enough ammo to make you confident but not too confident.
  • Lots, and I mean lots, of hidden items that make you pay close attention to the environments. Lots of missables as well.
  • A constantly evolving, interconnected map with a lot of shortcuts. How every part of the map just naturally leads into each other is likely one of my favorite things about the game, the boat leading to the mines and later to the house from the beginning is just perfect.
  • Cheesy voice acting and memorable characters. Ethan is a boring fuck for sure, but the game more than makes up for it with Mia and the Bakers.
  • Inventory management. You'll rarely have enough space for everything you want to carry, and having to make the choice between
In many ways, this honestly feels like a reboot of RE1, and my recent replay made me realize it's likely the best Resident Evil game. The only thing I could really complain about is that 4 enemy types that look more or less the same is a bit meh, especially when two of them attack you in exactly the same ways. They're scary as fuck in VR though, I'll give them that.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, I'm playing it again now and I'm loving it. I'd say it's more of a Resident Evil game than 4-6 tbh. I think prior to RE2 remake coming out it was the best RE game since 4. Can't wait for RE8.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A great Resident Evil game.

An incredible Resident Evil game if playing in VR

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game that is in the Resident Evil franchise. It is, therefore, a "good Resident Evil game".

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100%, I completed 5+ times and would totally do it again. Fantastic RE game and I hope 8 is more of the same

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Great beside the junk goo enemies and weak second half. The director clearly has a thing for goo and ship. Look at re revelation.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just okay.

RE games are some of my most replayed but I haven't touched 7 since finishing it the first time.

First person is a huge bummer.

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
Its an excellent RE game that captures the formula really well. Having a semi-persistant pursuer in the first half was also remarkably well done. The only weak parts of the game were limited enemy types and the final hour or so of the game, but the latter is common with most REs.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Gameplaywise it`s a good Resi-game, imo. Not great, but good. And the atmosphere is top notch.
But I really disliked that FEAR-clone of a story.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
It's not in my personal top 5, but yeah, it's a good RE game.

If it had more enemy variety, better combat and more Joe Baker, it probably would have made it.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Great beside the junk goo enemies and weak second half. The director clearly has a thing for goo and ship. Look at re revelation.
I have to say that the boat didn't annoy me nearly as much this time through. Hated it back on my first playthrough, but loved it now.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My personal rankings:

1. RE3
2. RE2
4. RE7
5. RE4
6. RE2-Remake
7. RE Revelations 2
8. RE6
9. RE3-Remake
10. REmake
11. RE0
13. RE5
14. RE Revelations
15. CVX

Manusche

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The best played in Vr so hopefully resi 8 can be played in Vr psvr or psvr2 and for the pc headsets

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I never finished it.

Loved the beginning with the family, but I hated the 'black blob' enemy types. They weren't fun or engaging, so I lost interest. Seems like a small complaint, but it killed the game for me

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Its fantastic and I know it may not be a popular take but I think it is even better than RE2. Yes the first half is that damn good. RE7 VR is the greatest RE game yet.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
It's a good game but lacks what makes a good Resident Evil game in my opinion.

I wasn't sold on the idea of paranormal entities instead of zombies/mutations.

Also the game takes a nosedive when you enter the ship.

I hope 8 fixes all these things.

What I want from a RE is

-Slow paced
-Central location with lot of backtracking
-Zombies, Mutants and monsters
-Puzzle heavy.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I agree with you, I think Resident Evil 7 was a game that invoked that feeling that the first entries on the series had that I thought Capcom couldn't do it anymore. And I'm so glad that RE3 Remake is the "week" one, because it's still a very good Resident Evil.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's an excellent game. Better than I had expected. The ending fell pretty flat, but the first 75%ish was really good. The "puzzle room" part was reallyyy fresh and interesting.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely both a good game and a good Resident Evil game, just not a great one. It feels like a return to form to classic style of RE, despite being a bit too linear with its level design, while simultaneously having the freshness of something like RE4 with its first person perspective and the slow reveal of the Evil Dead/Texas Chainsaw stuff into more familiar territory. It has some of the best atmosphere and boss fights in the series, it's just a shame the game really dips quite a bit halfway through. It's not enough to tank the game, but it does put it in the middle of the pack as far as RE games go for me. A great foundation that Village sounds like it will build upon.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
It's an incredible Resident Evil game. Top 5 easily, and definitely one of the highlights of this gen for me.

Luckily for us, it looks like RE8 is going to improve upon it in every way.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, only real complaint is enemy variety and I wish the mansion portion was a bit longer. Fantastic game tho, maybe in my top 3 REs