• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I know this might be me (hopefully) overreacting, but I went to my home town in OH today to visit my parents and my mom left work early because she was really sick. I'm so worried about my mother because she is the one in the family that gets sick the most and would be most susceptible to the virus. The fact that they live close to the epicenter of this occurring in the state is even scarier.

Stay safe everyone.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe you're making such a big deal about this, everybody else understood what the title meant but you're still obsessing over this ridiculous semantics bullshit.
at least one other person was confused by the thread title. this isn't a time to mince words. I'm unsure as to why you're taking offense to my attempt to be prudent.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ok we're only famous for our football team which also happens to be named after our University that has harbored several sexual predators. it doesn't change what ohioans think of when they read "Ohio State". everyone knows Ohio is a state, the former makes them think of something specific and doesn't necessarily help our situation. sorry?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
there is no fucking way a mod hasn't seen this thread. no one says "in Ohio State" without meaning on campus. it's irresponsible. no one says "in Pennsylvania State".
The quickest way to have a mod look at the title of a thread is to report the OP and explain what the issue is. That is how 99% of titles get changed. We don't read every single post, not every moderator available to look at reports at any given time is American, and those that are available are usually looking at reports rather than in threads.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the OP made the distinction so we don't mistake it for Ohio City.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Wouldn't be surprised if that number was relatively close to the truth. People just don't know if they're carrying it and they just carried on traveling and behaving like normal for however long because we just didn't have the information to act properly.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
new York State was an awful example because they use it all the time to differentiate from New York City. i stand by Pennsylvania state, for obvious reasons.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how am i supposed to know the enrollment numbers of The Ohio State University? for all i know, they have 10,000 people on the football scholarships.

so do you guys really not get what i was communicating here? trying to stop the spread of misinformation? whatever, logging out.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Ohio. Shit is getting real down here. The grocery stores are literally being pillaged as we speak. My work is considering making us work from home if things progress worse. The schools just shut down too and the highways are like dead. Never seen anything like this before.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
how am i supposed to know the enrollment numbers of The Ohio State University? for all i know, they have 10,000 people on the football scholarships.

so do you guys really not get what i was communicating here? trying to stop the spread of misinformation? whatever, logging out.
Holy crap dude, get over it. Report and move on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is like when someone pronounces a word wrong but everyone understands what is being communicated and then there's that one dude who just has to correct them. Just click ignore on the thread and move on.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I live in Ohio. Shit is getting real down here. The grocery stores are literally being pillaged as we speak. My work is considering making us work from home if things progress worse. The schools just shut down too and the highways are like dead. Never seen anything like this before.

the fact that the workplaces are only "considering" shutting down is pretty bad

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
With a nation of over 300 million people, it wouldn't be unusual to see such a higher number.

But just in 1 state? And so soon?

The thing is, we don't know exactly when the virus entered the country. The first confirmed case in China was December 1st. Who knows how many infected people entered the country since then.

At this rate, coroners are going to be the only part of the economy not touched. No, I'm not joking. This is catastrophic with a 4% fatality rate.

4% of confirmed cases are fatal. It's impossible to know the real fatality rate because so many people never get severe symptoms and thus never get counted in the statistics.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yeah I'm in Ohio (NE Ohio) and it's pretty crazy how fast things are moving.

If my job shuts down I'm fucked because the security requirements make working from home an impossibility unless there are sweeping policy changes.

The shit storm that flew through work today when parents began finding out that Dewine shut down schools for 3 weeks was apocalyptic, we had to call an emergency meeting with leadership.

Fucking 28 Days later out here. Stay safe and healthy.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm in Ohio (NE Ohio) and it's pretty crazy how fast things are moving.

If my job shuts down I'm fucked because the security requirements make working from home an impossibility unless there are sweeping policy changes.

The shit storm that flew through work today when parents began finding out that Dewine shut down schools for 3 weeks was apocalyptic, we had to call an emergency meeting with leadership.

Fucking 28 Days later out here. Stay safe and healthy.
Exactly same thing here, same as you in Northeast Ohio. My son just told me tomorrow at school is just a clean out day and details on how they're gonna do online classes while they're off.

Another question brought up was, while we're cancelling "large" gatherings, what about "large" corporations? At my work place, it's essentially a campus with around 1700 people. I'd think that would fall in line, but I guess we'll see what the management has to say tomorrow and how to go about it.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Exactly same thing here, same as you in Northeast Ohio. My son just told me tomorrow at school is just a clean out day and details on how they're gonna do online classes while they're off.

Another question brought up was, while we're cancelling "large" gatherings, what about "large" corporations? At my work place, it's essentially a campus with around 1700 people. I'd think that would fall in line, but I guess we'll see what the management has to say tomorrow and how to go about it.
Yeah I work at a corporation too, but this particular satellite campus is about 300-400 people in a communal style office setting.

At our meeting today leadership said they are in talks about what would happen in the worst case scenario (shutdown), but I'm purposely a tier below salary and don't feel secure at all about them paying me my hourly to not show up to work.

I mean gatherings of 100 people are being banned but I have bills that aren't going to be put on hold if they say we can''t work anymore, ya know?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
It's starting to reach the stage where I'm gonna worry that phlegmy throat I woke up with this morning is Covid-19 and not just me leaving the fan on too high overnight.

Edit: I'm so worried about my parents. I was hoping I'd get another 10 to 15 years with them at least, long enough time for them to know their grandchildren.

Take your temperature. If you are over 100 and have a dry cough, stay home. Do not interact with anyone.

If it's normal temperature it may be in your head.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate DeWine but props to him for taking it a lot more seriously than the federal government is.

My sentiments exactly.

Lol they shut down the schools but not the universities. Glad our fearless leader has put out a comprehensive and effective plan at containing the spread. We're in good hands everyone, tiny tiny hands.

Um, numerous universities are shut down, though?

Ohio State, Akron U, Kent State, and more are all going to online-only courses. The institution I work at as a tutor is having their spring break this week and we will not be returning to physical work. Hell, I was questioned on the way in today when I just wanted to check my workspace for anything I may have left behind and they specifically told us all employees now must wear name tags upon entrance and we will be surveilled. My job is now fully online.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming this is true, is it possible that the actual fatality rates are a lot lower than the numbers going around? It's possible a lot of people have it and don't even bother with trying to see a doctor or trying to get tested because their symptoms are that mild that they don't even suspect they have it.

Trying to find a silver lining here.

Yes you're completely right

I kinda doubt a figure like this at this point but yeah

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
if it's all over KY and OH, you can only imagine. Portsmouth, OH has cases. Think of how often people travel to Huntington.
If I cut out the paranoia from a personal statement the job was very important to me after months of looking. The timing scared the shit out of me for

1. I will be leaving my current job for it and I don't know how this will delay things
2. I'm not even sure hotels will be open at this point
3. Finding a place to live is going to be extra difficult.

Above all right now, right now currently I love with someone elderly. So staying here increases the likelyhood of getting her sick. I'm not saying I have unique fears but fuck

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
We literally had a project manager out of Ohio fly out this week for some "important meetings"

So looking forward to the entire project being put on hold as the Bay Area gets even worse!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
If I cut out the paranoia from a personal statement the job was very important to me after months of looking. The timing scared the shit out of me for

1. I will be leaving my current job for it and I don't know how this will delay things
2. I'm not even sure hotels will be open at this point
3. Finding a place to live is going to be extra difficult.

Above all right now, right now currently I love with someone elderly. So staying here increases the likelyhood of getting her sick. I'm not saying I have unique fears but fuck

yeah, it's pretty crazy.

i just want to point out the governor of Ohio is actually just honestly pointing out the reality. I'm assuming there is nearly a 1% infection rate in LOTS of states that are staying comparatively mum.

We literally had a project manager out of Ohio fly out this week for some "important meetings"

So looking forward to the entire project being put on hold as the Bay Area gets even worse!

Y'all already got it lmao

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah, it's pretty crazy.

i just want to point out the governor of Ohio is actually just honestly pointing out the reality. I'm assuming there is nearly a 1% infection rate in LOTS of states that are staying comparatively mum.
Sorry if I seem like a real dick in this thread I'm just paranoia like alot of us. I respect Ohio for speaking, I hope something works out with this job. I'm just overwhelmed, I know there's more important things in the world right now but it took me so long to have anything hopeful