• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that Series X was using a brute force approach to run older titles in 4k regardless of if it uses a dynamic resolution. Or is that completely wrong? lol
MS's approach is that uncapped framerates will hit 60 and dynamic resolutions will stay at maximum. They also have said "select" games will receive a little extra work to exceed 30fps caps, which should be especially important for the Series S, which runs games in One S mode (meaning no performance modes you see with One X and PS4 pro). But right now, all they have demonstrated is the same thing Sony's solution will (presumably) do.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would Bloodbornes frame pacing issue be magically fixed with boost mode or does that require devs to go back in and patch? I know XV has a frame pacing issue at times as well but i didnt hear digital foundry mention it in the xbox preview
I think it's possible. GTA IV had frame pacing issues that were exacerbated due to it running at a higher but unstable framerate through BC on Xbox One, that I presume is fixed on XSX due to a stable and likely locked or almost locked framerate.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I am curious to see how many games work out of the box (with system update) at launch. Thankfully I only plan on playing the 1st party games I missed, but nevertheless if EDF doesn't work I'll cry.

Oh EDF 4.1 and 5 should run great if they get a PS5 Boost benefit. Probably one of the few games that would hugely benefit considering all of the slowdowns and inconsistent framerate, Definitely going to be testing that one once I get my PS5.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
MS's approach is that uncapped framerates will hit 60 and dynamic resolutions will stay at maximum. They also have said "select" games will receive a little extra work to exceed 30fps caps, which should be especially important for the Series S, which runs games in One S mode (meaning no performance modes you see with One X and PS4 pro). But right now, all they have demonstrated is the same thing Sony's solution will (presumably) do.
There are a few select OG Xbox and Xbox 360 titles which have been enhanced to run at, or near, 4K. This includes games like Red Dead Redemption and Assassin's Creed.

Xbox has said this will continue next gen, where select current gen games may also get enhanced. They're expected to detail this further at a later time.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
We already know that 99% of the games will work. That message is probably for the 1% games that don't work (maybe some games that need additional hardware?)

I like that they are talking about the haptics. That means some PS4 games will get support which is great.

Yup, sounds good.
I really hope that the way family sharing currently works isn't changed. Currently you can share games with another account by making that account primary on your system. And this includes online games. Would suck if it now only works when offline.

I don't have PSNow, so I assume that's gonna be different now.
Do we expect PS5 boost mode to include resolution upgrades or just framerates?

Boost should do both. That would be PS5 native in the BC slide. Sorry, for unlocked frame rates and dynamic res.
Yea they say the same on ps4 pro for ps4 titles in boost mode as a warning
Yup. Boost being there from day one vs how they did it this gen is great.

Last edited:

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If a Demon's Soul remake sells as well as I expect. I wouldn't be surprised if a Bloodborne remaster or remake happens.
DS has to sell a few million alone by just being the epic action medieval pretty game. And then many of the sales will be hardcore Souls fans. I am hopeful that it will sell great. Could even surpass 3-4 million IMO by early next year. (I know those are crazy numbers that something like Zelda would only do at launch of system).

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
I hope they don't mess with game sharing, I got the PS5DE just so I can share my account with my friend.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, that train of concern surrounding the PS5 keeps rolling...

"This PS4 game isn't supported with your PS5's current system software. We're continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game."

Jimbo: 99% of all PS4 games run on the PS5
www.theverge.com

PS5 will be ‘99 percent’ backward compatible with PS4 games

PS4 games could give you something to play as the PS5 lineup fills out.

so much for "i´ve sold my PS4 already!"...there will be some rude awakenings i can already see it

man, this rollout keeps getting worse by the day...

That is a very positive thought, i appreciate it..

You do understand the system needs to have some sort of message to display when someone plays that 1% that are incompatible. It can't just screech and die.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
msgid_free_ps_plus_exclusive":"Bei PS Plus kostenlos/PS Plus Exklusiv kostenlos"

"Free with PS Plus/PS Plus Exclusive"

What does PS Plus exclusive refer to? Probably just that its exlusively free with PS Plus? I gotta stop looking into this source code, makes me think of some other things that could be lol
Hmmm.

Testing is for boost mode not legacy backward compatibility. Ps5 acts as ps4pro in legacy mode. So they code thinks the device is ps4 pro and runs just like it does on ps4 pro
I think people look at that PS5 BC image Cerny shared and just totally ignore the "PS5 Native Mode" part of it.
👆
I just said in a recent thread...why would they need to test the legacy modes when they are mimicking the PS4 and Pro..

Some ppl still don't wanna believe, lol.

The legacy modes are in their back pocket while they continue to test games running in boost mode.

Dare I say....some might get patched like Pro patches..

Some ppl still don't wanna believe....

Last edited:

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously it's starting to get silly how much people are posting with some weird concerns about ps4 backwards compatibility, I don't understand why it's hard to understand so I can only assume the people who keep bringing it up are just trying to concern troll because otherwise it doesn't make sense. Sony said in 2013 they went x86 to help make backwards compatibility easy to work on their next console after ps4, they have also said a lot of times in the last year or two that ps4 games will work on ps5, they have stated 99% of games will work perfectly, yet people still keep acting like they're not gonna work and I don't understand why at this point.

In fact I'm gonna go out on a limb and say more than 99% of games work but Jim wasn't gonna say "99.6%" of games or some shit because 99% is an easier number to say and have casual people understand that very few games won't work right away.

I do find it funny that no one is mentioning that the xbox series s/x also won't have 100% compatibility and that I'm sure the 99% round number applies to them too, if for no other reason than they have a bunch of games that were designed around kinect and shit that ain't a thing now.

It's at this point now where I'm curious if on launch day when these concerned posters see that their whole collection works or all of them but 1 game works if they'll come back and admit they were ignoring the stated facts from Sony for the last 2 years for no reason?

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I don't have PSNow, so I assume that's gonna be different now.

I Don't have PsNow either. Was talking about the sharing of regular games (digital) through the whole primary console trick.

I have been using this share feature to play games with my partner without having to make a purchase twice. It works even for online games like CoD.

I would be really bumned out if they altered it so that you can only share the games while offline. It would mean no more sharing of multiplayer games.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I Don't have PsNow either. Was talking about the sharing of regular games (digital) through the whole primary console trick.

I have been using this share feature to play games with my partner without having to make a purchase twice. It works even for online games like CoD.

I would be really bumned out if they altered it so that you can only share the games while offline. It would mean no more sharing of multiplayer games.

I'm sure it'll stay the same, and I know you didn't mean psnow but I just wanted to jump in and say that I've noticed a change Sony made to psnow at some point over the last year or so, I tried ps now early last year and it had a lot of restrictions for account sharing on console, as in even if I was primary on ps4 it wouldn't let other accounts use my psnow streaming games service, only my main account could stream ps3 games, but after using it the last 2 months again it now allows anyone on the primary ps4 to use their account to stream ps3 games launched from the ps4 home screen (you get a ps3 game icon like ps4 ones when you start a ps3 game on psnow that goes on your ps4 home screen)

Anyway for me that's awesome as I really have been using the service a lot lately and now it seems to also be shareable in the same way digital licences are with family etc. Not sure if both can stream at the same time but still to only need one sub for multiple family etc is nice.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Going to be hopeful that those messages are only for the 1% I really want Sony to succeed when it comes to BC. I really want a Sony that cares about compatibility.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't change anything other than a stable 30fps. That game needs a patch :(
Fuck, you're right :(
Unfortunately it won't even be stable as bloodborne has framepacing issues unrelated to underlying performance. It's a really unfortunate situation.

However, it is in the PSPlus collection, so maybe it gets a patch? It's been modded to run at 60FPS on hacked PS4Pro's so it is doable.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I'm sure it'll stay the same, and I know you didn't mean psnow but I just wanted to jump in and say that I've noticed a change Sony made to psnow at some point over the last year or so, I tried ps now early last year and it had a lot of restrictions for account sharing on console, as in even if I was primary on ps4 it wouldn't let other accounts use my psnow streaming games service, only my main account could stream ps3 games, but after using it the last 2 months again it now allows anyone on the primary ps4 to use their account to stream ps3 games launched from the ps4 home screen (you get a ps3 game icon like ps4 ones when you start a ps3 game on psnow that goes on your ps4 home screen)

Anyway for me that's awesome as I really have been using the service a lot lately and now it seems to also be shareable in the same way digital licences are with family etc. Not sure if both can stream at the same time but still to only need one sub for multiple family etc is nice.

I really hope so. Makes digital prices alot more palatable.

And thanks for the info on PsNow. It's good to know that you can share that too.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Unfortunately it won't even be stable as bloodborne has framepacing issues unrelated to underlying performance. It's a really unfortunate situation.

However, it is in the PSPlus collection, so maybe it gets a patch? It's been modded to run at 60FPS on hacked PS4Pro's so it is doable.
Sony Japan worked on it. Sony owns the code. There's no reason why all the first party games shouldnt get patches to uncap and shore up the fps.

Bare minimum effort.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

If they don't patch it on PS5 then I can only imagine they're going to save it for a remake later on. lol

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

"This PS4 game isn't supported with your PS5's current system software. We're continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game."

www.theverge.com

so much for "i´ve sold my PS4 already!"...there will be some rude awakenings i can already see it

I've never seen you post before this week and yet every post I've seen of yours since is about how horrible the PS5 is. Won't make a quote wall because I don't want to get banned.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. They never talked about timelines but one could argue that they will start with the most-played titles (the 'top 100 most played' already mentioned) and work their way down from there. So I'm pretty sure there will be quite some games not-playable at launch, and like you said, some titles will take longer than others.

Posting the earlier statement for posterity:

They paid AMD to design a BC solution for the PS5. I know Cerny sounds totally chill but even I can't believe he would say he's happy with what AMD created if it didn't actually work with any games and they had to manually change each one to make them available to play.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm...if system updates are needed, I'm wondering if Sony is going to have a team for BC like microsoft? My original thought was there would be individual patches like enhanced games for Xbox currently, and that it would be up to individual developers

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Hmmm.

👆
I just said in a recent thread...why would they need to test the legacy modes when they are mimicking the PS4 and Pro..

Some ppl still don't wanna believe, lol.

The legacy modes are in their back pocket while they continue to test games running in boost mode.

Dare I say....some might get patched like Pro patches..

Some ppl still don't wanna believe....
Technically that isn't that easy.

There are some strange instances where you need to test the old modes as well. There was an instance with Uncharted 3 before launch, where it would run fine on PS3 slim, but there were bugs on the original PS3. Same CPU, but a different process.

But yes, the Cerny comment was about boost mode. He mentioned that the boost was particularly large and that some games couldn't handle the jump

Jan 20, 2019

www.theverge.com

Holy shit, you are really mad about the ps5.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm...if system updates are needed, I'm wondering if Sony is going to have a team for BC like microsoft? My original thought was there would be individual patches like enhanced games for Xbox currently, and that it would be up to individual developers

Requiring system updates would imply that's not the case since MS's BC team handle Xbox/360 BC game by game with the wrapper that's required. For Xbox One games, they don't need the emulator wrapper but they're still evaluating all games without HDR and then looking at specific games to do things like double framerate or up resolution.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
what blows my mind is sites like gamespot (or was it ign) actually asking the question if PS4 BC was limited to the PS+ collection .... are they serious ? i mean how in the world based on what sony have stated already does anyone come to that conclusion.

hmm lets see .. sony state 99% of ps4 games will work fine ..... sony announce the PS+ collection ...... therefore ... ps4 games only work via the PS+ collection? ... OK lol

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
what blows my mind is sites like gamespot (or was it ign) actually asking the question if PS4 BC was limited to the PS+ collection .... are they serious ? i mean how in the world based on what sony have stated already does anyone come to that conclusion.

hmm lets see .. sony state 99% of ps4 games will work fine ..... sony announce the PS+ collection ...... therefore ... ps4 games only work via the PS+ collection? ... OK lol

I swear the gaming media just loses all resemblance of logic when a new gen is about to launch

it's just like the end of the PS3/360 gen leading into this current PS4/XB1 gen

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
WRJGEt5.jpg

Shame on you....

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
I'm going to need more information on this forced haptic feedback. It'd be some bullshit if you couldn't disable it for everything.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I'm going to need more information on this forced haptic feedback. It'd be some bullshit if you couldn't disable it for everything.

I find it incredibly unlikely that we won't be able to disable it at a system level. I think people are reading too much into stuff here; especially for stuff that may never be used. I get that information has been sparse, but sheesh.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
If they had a Bloodborne that was 60fps, enhanced, Ray tracing 4k 30, remastered for 49.99 for PS5, or full price. I would probably buy it.

I'd pay 50 bucks just to get 4K 60 FPS with good anti aliasing, a CA toggle and the DLC included. That's all I want.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I swear the gaming media just loses all resemblance of logic when a new gen is about to launch

it's just like the end of the PS3/360 gen leading into this current PS4/XB1 gen

I stopped listening to gaming podcasts by any of the gaming sites at the last gen launch. All the ones I were listening to were getting basic stuff wrong, all the time, and they were so confident about it. It wasn't "Oh I think it's x", it's "It's definitely y, that is how it will absolutely work." As a listener, that's absolutely infuriating.
It's also when I stopped reading any professional gaming website.

I just retreated back to listening to hobbyist podcasts, ones with a few hundred listeners at most. They were better informed and don't arrogantly mouth off on stuff they don't know much about.

There is some quality in the professional game journalism world, but it's just very rare.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i cant tell you how many times ive heard people say things that are just blatantly incorrect on gaming poscasts and pass it off as objective truths. These people are paid to be experts on this stuff, i shouldnt be more knowledgable about those things than they are lol. I love giant bomb, but they do this a lot on the bombcast. Ill never forget when brad said "wasn't quantum break some call of duty rip-off?" And everyone on the podcast said yeah absolutley. Like what!? How can you play that game, in third person with its time powers and think "wow what a call of duty clone!"