• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, that train of concern surrounding the PS5 keeps rolling...

"This PS4 game isn't supported with your PS5's current system software. We're continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game."

Jimbo: 99% of all PS4 games run on the PS5
www.theverge.com

PS5 will be ‘99 percent’ backward compatible with PS4 games

PS4 games could give you something to play as the PS5 lineup fills out.

so much for "i´ve sold my PS4 already!"...there will be some rude awakenings i can already see it

man, this rollout keeps getting worse by the day...

That is a very positive thought, i appreciate it..

That's....a stretch.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
There are almost 3000 games on PS4. 1% of that would still be around 300 games. Do you expect them to just not have an error message for the potential ~300 rare instances where a game isn't compatible at launch?

Exactly. The PS4 library is massive and even 1% is still a good sized number. Would people rather Sony not communicate this?

Edit: I also failed at math, sorry. Still, my point stands, these messages are necessary for some games.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
DapperFlawedJaguarundi-size_restricted.gif
Lol. I'd be pretty upset tho. ._.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
"You are trying to run P.T. on the Playstation 5 hardware. Please remain seated and the police will arrive shortly."

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
lol yes I fucked up but the point I was trying to make was the small number of games still need an error message

people should expect some outliers in the beginning that get updated to work later.

But folks are going to try to spin this as another huge fuck up or something on Sony's part

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
I'm betting the 1% stuff is probably discontinued stuff that required add-ons like Disney Infinity and Lego Dimensions.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Good. Just what we need for more fake outrage on ERA: out of context PS5 error messages ,lmao.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Boost mode is my most anticipated feature. It's hoping it boosts performance and cuts loading times in a significant way.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
I'm betting this is that this covers the 1% or so that won't work on PS5, so the likes of P.T definitely won't as you can't even download it. I'm also assuming that Driveclub might be another, but who knows.

Just need a list of what games will work at launch, which won't now

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like it's one way to stop someone on PS5 from buying a PS4 game that may not be backwards compatible yet. Pray for Lichdom Battlemage, I think a PS5 boost mode would have finally made it playable lol

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This makes it sound like they are in fact whitelisting games.

That's one possible scenarios, but there are plenty of others and the text doesn't really say anything one way or another. There are only two things we can conclude with reasonable certainty:
  • They're really testing thousands of games and will be transparent on the store about the current state of a game before you purchase a PS4 title. That's great news.
  • Titles that are problematic won't necessarily be a problem forever. There are clearly some steps they can take to expand the collection of compatible games, whether it requires patches from developers, game-specific binary fixes, or just tweaks to the compatibility environment for problem games.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Pro Boost Mode doesn't, with PS5 we're reaching unknown territory here. We know MS has something where they can double frame rate in older games, lets see what Sony has.

Wait, if the game is locked at 30 I don't think the new xbox can double it. Wasn't that just for already unlocked framerates or performance modes from OneX?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 Pro Boost Mode doesn't, with PS5 we're reaching unknown territory here. We know MS has something where they can double frame rate in older games, lets see what Sony has.

There is no reason to expect this. Bloodborne it definitely won't. It physically can't. It would require a comprehensive patch as so much of the game's code works at 33.3ms.

The Xbox Series X does not boost games past framerate caps. So no, a boost mode from Sony would not either. Microsoft have been clear on this on their end. There's no reason to think Sony will be doing it. Microsoft will be doing it on a game by game basis, much like high res xbox 360 games. That is not boost mode doing it. An automatic mode cannot unlock framerates. Bespoke work has to be done on a given title, and some games just don't do that without extensive work, like Bloodborne.

I do not know why people think boost mode can ignore caps. It will not. We have never, ever seen evidence that it will, and even Microsoft, who is actually advertising such a feature, has stated it will be on a title by title basis. I don't know how else to explain this.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So what you're saying is it needs a remaster. Which at that point just make a new one please.

Pretty much. It's a prime candidate for a game to be remastered.

Everything Cerny said about PS5 Boost Mode made it sound like it is exactly like PS4 Pro Boost Mode in that it allows games with dynamic resolutions, unlocked framerates, and performance/quality modes to utilize the new hardware to max those out. Sony hasn't talked about having a BC team that updates games without dev input to do things like double framerate on select games.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
FF7 Remake is locked at 30fps.
Unless devs patch something, you can expect it to play exactly like it plays on the PS4 Pro. PS5 might fix the low rez textures "bug", but even that, I'm not sure.
Oh right, it does play capped. Well, Square Enix would rather re-sell it for full price probably. In any case, XV will be good probably. It is enhanced with XSX.

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
Wait, if the game is locked at 30 I don't think the new xbox can double it. Wasn't that just for already unlocked framerates or performance modes from OneX?
No, DF's testing was with games with unlocked frame rates. What Microsoft was saying that on specific games they would actually be able to enable doubling frame rates that were once locked to 30 up to 60, we haven't seen anything with that yet.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
That's one possible scenarios, but there are plenty of others and the text doesn't really say anything one way or another. There are only two things we can conclude with reasonable certainty:
  • They're really testing thousands of games and will be transparent on the store about the current state of a game before you purchase a PS4 title. That's great news.
  • Titles that are problematic won't necessarily be a problem forever. There are clearly some steps they can take to expand the collection of compatible games, whether it requires patches from developers, game-specific binary fixes, or just tweaks to the compatibility environment for problem games.

Agreed. They never talked about timelines but one could argue that they will start with the most-played titles (the 'top 100 most played' already mentioned) and work their way down from there. So I'm pretty sure there will be quite some games not-playable at launch, and like you said, some titles will take longer than others.

Posting the earlier statement for posterity:

With all of the amazing games in PS4's catalog, we've devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We're expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We're currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Conspiracy theorizing to platform war
There are almost 3000 games on PS4. 1% of that would still be around 30 games, probably more than 1% of those at launch may have issues. Do you expect them to just not have an error message for the potential 30+ rare instances where a game isn't compatible at launch? They have to have something even if its a small number of games.

haha you people believe only 1% will not work at launch?

When sony is this unclear the reason is simple: they are hiding something

sure they said 99%... but not WHEN