• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
Nice to see Days Gone on Steam! So what else is coming to PC aside from Days Gone?

store.steampowered.com

Save 75% on Days Gone on Steam

Ride and fight into a deadly, post pandemic America. Play as Deacon St. John, a drifter and bounty hunter who rides the broken road, fighting to survive while searching for a reason to live in this open-world action-adventure game.

We'll just have to see. Naughty Dog was looking to hire programmers with NVIDIA, Vulkan, and DX12 experience. Cory Balrog has previously expressed a wish to bring God of War to PC. So there's enough there to get people wondering what's next after Days Gone.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
My plea for Drakan: The Ancients' Gates to officially release on pc a mere 19 years later finally has a glimmer of hope.
Make it happen Sony. This is the only game I want.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
If Bloodborne were to be released on the personal computer entertainment system, I would pay money for it.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For the Sony faithful who don't believe they'd release major games on PC, what specific releases would start to convince you otherwise? TLoU? GoW? KZ? Ratchet?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Bloodborne?
What about Last of Us 2. The most award winning game of all time??
First, Bloodborne is much older so it'll be a less bitter pill to swallow for the fanbase. Also, it will easily sell better than TLOU2 as there's a huge Souls community on PC (Steam) that will feast on it. I'm not saying TLOU2 won't sell, it's just not the kind of game that PC crowds are into. Sony has anticipated this too by releasing Horizon and Days Gone for the opening of their PC initiative, since open world games are a very popular genre on PC. They'll also need to release TLOU first before the sequel.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Fans that fight against availability, promote exclusion and see it as a good thing? Those fans should be deplatformed to suffer in silence, so they could see the err of their ways.
Those fans are what Sony is catering to, and they're not hiding it.
Horizon Zero Dawn on PC in August last year. How did that go?

We assessed the exercise in two ways. Firstly, in terms of the straightforward success of the activity of publishing the game on PC, people liked it and they bought it. We also looked at it through the lens of what the PlayStation community thought about it. There was no massive adverse reaction to it. So we will continue to take mission steps in this direction.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
We'll just have to see. Naughty Dog was looking to hire programmers with NVIDIA, Vulkan, and DX12 experience.
Those requirements don't mean a thing - it's a standard set of requirements for rendering engineers. Hell, even Apple mentions those APIs in their Metal-related positions.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Resident Evil sells well enough on PC, why wouldn't Last Of Us achieve similar?
I'm not saying it wouldn't, I made that perfectly clear. Also, I'm pretty sure Souls games still eclipse Resident Evil in sales.

Additionally, considering the "controversies' surrounding TLOU2, I'm not sure if I'm ready to see how the Steam forums will look like. It'll be full of bigotry.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
This is fine but there's not exactly any game I'd be really wanting to play strangely enough. With the games that have PS5 upgrades not much left that interests me.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Fans that fight against availability, promote exclusion and see it as a good thing? Those fans should be deplatformed to suffer in silence, so they could see the err of their ways.
Dont understand why Sony dosent just take control of the narrative themselves and flip it around to show how this is a good thing that benefits everyone. If they really are worried about PlayStation "fans" being put out by this then honestly it seems kinda pathetic.

From reading the thread last night, I saw maybe 2 fanboys coming out and making a fool of themselves, compared to the Horizon announcement thats a lower number lol. I think its pretty telling that most have accepted the situation and realize Sony wants to make the PC a part of their plans.

Seeing them come out and actually say this feels so weird for such a large company like Sony but it kinda feels oddly in tune with their....ummm dedicated fan base.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Those fans are what Sony is catering to, and they're not hiding it.

Those diehard Playstation fans might be vocal but they don't have any power to enforce policy, for one simple reason: What are they going to do, not buy a Playstation? They can't vote with their wallets. They will remain invested in the Playstation ecosystem and they will keep buying PlayStation hardware and software, while Sony will get even more money from people being able to buy Playstation games on PC.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying it wouldn't, I made that perfectly clear. Also, I'm pretty sure Souls games still eclipse Resident Evil in sales.

Additionally, considering the "controversies' surrounding TLOU2, I'm not sure if I'm ready to see how the Steam forums will look like. It'll be full of bigotry.
The Souls games aren't selling so much more than Resident Evil (or any horror/survival gam) that Last Of Us wouldn't be worth it.

And of course the forums are going to be trash; you'd be hard pressed to find a game forum on Steam that isn't. Both last Of Us games would sell millions on the store either way.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
So we got lucky that there weren't too much community adverse this time. Corporate strategies should not cater or even listen to the whims of their lowest, toxic fanbase.

They will if there's money involved, they won't if there isn't. As I said above, those who complain about 'Sony devaluing the PlayStation brand' or whatever will remain completely invested in the Playstation ecosystem so Sony puts literally nothing at stake by temporarily displeasing them. They will complain for a while and then move on once they get accustomed to the new status quo.

The only way Sony changes its policy is if it sees negative results to its bottom line. Say, if the company notices a massive impact in console sales by people who were heavily invested in the PS ecosystem moving from console to PC. I strongly doubt that's ever going to happen because most people play on the platform they like and a handful of games aren't going to sway them either way.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First, Bloodborne is much older so it'll be a less bitter pill to swallow for the fanbase. Also, it will easily sell better than TLOU2 as there's a huge Souls community on PC (Steam) that will feast on it. I'm not saying TLOU2 won't sell, it's just not the kind of game that PC crowds are into. Sony has anticipated this too by releasing Horizon and Days Gone for the opening of their PC initiative, since open world games are a very popular genre on PC. They'll also need to release TLOU first before the sequel.

This is all a bit weird. There is zero, absolutely no chance that TLOU2 - a genuine blockbuster of a game - will sell less than Bloodborne on PC. And I say this as someone who loves Bloodborne and hasn't yet played TLOU2.

Open world games are big on PC but so are literally every genre. Games just sell.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Those diehard Playstation fans might be vocal but they don't have any power to enforce policy, for one simple reason: What are they going to do, not buy a Playstation? They can't vote with their wallets. They will remain invested in the Playstation ecosystem and they will keep buying PlayStation hardware and software, while Sony will get even more money from people being able to buy Playstation games on PC.
True. As I see it, they're definitely going for that direction, but they simply just want to take it slow. I'm honestly okay with it, the outcome will be the same, just slower.

The Souls games aren't selling so much more than Resident Evil (or any horror/survival gam) that Last Of Us wouldn't be worth it.

And of course the forums are going to be trash; you'd be hard pressed to find a game forum on Steam that isn't. Both last Of Us games would sell millions on the store either way.
This is all a bit weird. There is zero, absolutely no chance that TLOU2 - a genuine blockbuster of a game - will sell less than Bloodborne on PC. And I say this as someone who loves Bloodborne and hasn't yet played TLOU2.

Open world games are big on PC but so are literally every genre. Games just sell.
Again, I never said TLOU2 won't be worth it. There are other factors too as I said in my original post, like it's still too recent compared to Bloodborne. On top of that TLOU is like their main flagship franchise, they'll probably save it for the last.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Again, I never said TLOU2 won't be worth it. There are other factors too as I said in my original post, like it's still too recent compared to Bloodborne. On top of that TLOU is like their main flagship franchise, they'll probably save it for the last.

I agree we are far less likely to see TLOU2 than Bloodborne on PC. I was responding to you saying that Bloodborne "will easily sell better than TLOU2" - that is just crazy talk backed up by nothing in reality.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
They will if there's money involved, they won't if there isn't. As I said above, those who complain about 'Sony devaluing the PlayStation brand' or whatever will remain completely invested in the Playstation ecosystem so Sony puts literally nothing at stake by temporarily displeasing them. They will complain for a while and then move on once they get accustomed to the new status quo.

The only way Sony changes its policy is if it sees negative results to its bottom line. Say, if the company notices a massive impact in console sales by people who were heavily invested in the PS ecosystem moving from console to PC. I strongly doubt that's ever going to happen because most people play on the platform they like and a handful of games aren't going to sway them either way.
They will find a way to please their toxic fans and maximize profits. That is why I don't see Day 1 releases of new games on PC. But maybe they can slowly lower that period to 6 months. But it will probably stay a case by case scenario and we won't know if and when they release PC ports and that is why I will have to buy a PS5 is the foreseeable future. The waiting game sucks, especially if nothing is certain.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Let's just say that it's a bet that I'd be willing to take.

Doom Eternal - another single-player campaign - was among Steam's platinum sellers last year. TLOU2 was the sixth-best selling game in the US last year, and it came out on only one platform. Again, I love Bloodborne and I will rebuy it on Steam and it will sell well, but if you think it will outsell a genuine blockbuster like TLOU2 you're living in a bubble.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
For the Sony faithful who don't believe they'd release major games on PC, what specific releases would start to convince you otherwise? TLoU? GoW? KZ? Ratchet?
Sony made PS5 exclusives releasing.
If this started happening I would believe.

I see no reason to think this is anything but older PS4 games releasing this generation and maybe PS5 games releasing after PS6 releases.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
They will find a way to please their toxic fans and maximize profits. That is why I don't see Day 1 releases of new games on PC. But maybe they can slowly lower that period to 6 months. But it will probably stay a case by case scenario and we won't know if and when they release PC ports and that is why I will have to buy a PS5 is the foreseeable future. The waiting game sucks, especially if nothing is certain.

Well, what we do know for a fact is that a slate of games is already being developed and planned for release. I too think that a day-and-date release is very unlikely for the foreseeable future but I also expect the waiting period to gradually shrink to a year, maybe less. Since this change in policy is recent it makes sense for the first games on the list to take longer to release on PC as studios will need some time to adjust their workload and development strategy accordingly. Future games will probably be developed with PC in mind from the beginning so the porting process will be simpler and faster.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Those toxic fans will just find something else to do platform warring. This is why some, including here, are hoping for a PlayStation launcher.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It reminds me how great and upfront Phil was some years ago with every new game will launch day and date on pc. If Sony wants that money they should be upfront too and not trying to trick ppl into their ecosystem. Give them the choice.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
As someone who went and PS and PC the last two gens, I'm all for it. The fact is the PC community is better poised to preserve and enhance games as they age, assuming the port is halfway decent to begin with.

I really don't see why they ever would (since it didn't sell well in the first place) but The Last Guardian or really anything from Team Ico would be fantastic. TLG in particular could use a little technical help from modders IMO. Obviously Bloodborne is the dream. And, speaking of, Dreams would make a lot of sense. My last wishlist item, as impossible as it is, would be The Order at 4k60.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It reminds me how great and upfront Phil was some years ago with every new game will launch day and date on pc. If Sony wants that money they should be upfront too and not trying to trick ppl into their ecosystem. Give them the choice.
Right. Sony should be clearer about that so that we PC plebs can plan our hardware purchases accordingly. Just say "every game after 1 year also on PC" or something like that. But this uncertainty with every title just sucks. I am too much of a fan of Sony first party to wait for maybe/maybe not releases on an uncertain date in the future.

Unfortunately, that's the game that Sony is playing for years now with all their timed exclusive games as well. The only one we knew for sure that it was also coming to PC before PS4 release was Death Stranding and I am still not sure if Kojima spilled the beans without Sony knowing/wanting it to be known.
Those toxic fans will just find something else to do platform warring. This is why some, including here, are hoping for a PlayStation launcher.
They already do with comments like "yeah, have fun playing the game 4 years later" - Can't wait for closer releases to PS5 launch date, haha.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dont understand why Sony dosent just take control of the narrative themselves and flip it around to show how this is a good thing that benefits everyone. If they really are worried about PlayStation "fans" being put out by this then honestly it seems kinda pathetic.

From reading the thread last night, I saw maybe 2 fanboys coming out and making a fool of themselves, compared to the Horizon announcement thats a lower number lol. I think its pretty telling that most have accepted the situation and realize Sony wants to make the PC a part of their plans.

Seeing them come out and actually say this feels so weird for such a large company like Sony but it kinda feels oddly in tune with their....ummm dedicated fan base.

Might mostly be because they tuck this among the positive news for them (PSVR2, new state of play etc) to drown out the buzz.
This PC announcement isn't on their own ps blog

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Or... they could just offer people a way to access their Playstation account on PC?

They need to setup a pipeline for multiplatform development. Late ports rarely have big impact unless the audience is extremely starved for that kind of game (eg. Persona 4 pulling crazy numbers last year), so I think Sony will eventually start releasing games day and date on PC, in order to maximize their financial gain.