• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'll say this for everyone living in Vegas and for our cousins out in Phoenix; ya'll need to stop coming here. Go to Mesquite or Kingman or something. We're full.

That's the thing though, most people don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. Though here in the Phoenix area, they're still building a lot of new houses, so it hasn't driven prices up that badly. I'll probably be looking to buy in a year or two, but I'll probably have to find somewhere on the outskirts to get the space I want.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
That's the thing though, most people don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. Though here in the Phoenix area, they're still building a lot of new houses, so it hasn't driven prices up that badly. I'll probably be looking to buy in a year or two, but I'll probably have to find somewhere on the outskirts to get the space I want.

Kingman is awful.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Also, yeah this measures the entire metro.

So Dallas is huge.

Oct 25, 2017
If you look at these numbers as a percentage of the city population, fewer people might be leaving NYC than any other city. Comparing absolute numbers seems silly when NYC has over 2x the population of the next biggest city (LA).

data

Oct 25, 2017
Thisisfine

Doubt it'll affect the city's population much. Even with the netloss, I feel that that city will hardly notice

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I love NYC and go once or twice a year but always blows my mind how most people can manage. if you have roots there or a good job or "gig" sure but i'll make small talk with waiters and baristas and such and they'll be like "yeah i visited here once and decided it's totally for me"... like, how. do you live in a 500 sq ft apartment with ten people or ...

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
NYC metro resident here.

Looking to move to Denver or the Twin Cities or anywhere that's urban but not on the coasts.

Fuck the coasts.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The city should really do something about this housing situation. Too bad real estate is the biggest lobby in the city as far as local politics is concerned

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I'm looking forward to purchasing my dream Tribeca condo in a few years.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Moved to Tampa 4 years ago from up north (Midwest) and it's dope. Surprised by how many people from NY/Jersey live here. Traffic is getting worse every year with the huge increase of folks moving in, but more and more buildings are popping up every 6 months it seems like it.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bigger cities will lose more people even if the percent leaving is the same and they tend to cost more due to the high demand for space that will naturally exist in them, which makes them less attractive options to move towards compared to other cities, so this isn't too shocking. I think it's telling that the 3 biggest losers are the 3 biggest cities in order of size

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Not surprised based on cost of living and commute times. I'd love to live in NYC for like a year and then get out, but I think I'd rather go to someplace like Chicago far more. LA is a hellscape tho and I'm surprised my younger brother has survived as long as he has out there. I'd end up going on a rampage if I had to sit in traffic like that every single day.
Please stop coming to DFW. You've already ruined Frisco, don't make it worse.
Go bother...I don't know, Oklahoma. Go mess up their house prices.
Is there even any reason to go to Oklahoma?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
What's a respectable salary in NYC? A friend of mine recently accepted a software developer job offer there for $130k w/ $30k sign-on bonus, and I've no idea how much that really is after you factor in taxes and cost of living.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
other cities now have the employment opportunities that the biggest cities have at a fraction of the cost of living.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Just moved out of NYC but just for school. We really don't want to live somewhere we need a car, so we'll probably come back to NYC.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I would kill myself if I had to live in Arizona (sans Flagstaff). I can't deal with it not getting below 75 degrees at night.

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
Moved to Tampa 4 years ago from up north (Midwest) and it's dope. Surprised by how many people from NY/Jersey live here. Traffic is getting worse every year with the huge increase of folks moving in, but more and more buildings are popping up every 6 months it seems like it.
I think I read an article that stated Florida has the 2nd fewest native population in the US. I was born in Florida, and felt it's been that way since the mid '80s.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
People need to stop moving to Arizona. WE LITERALLY DONT HAVE THE WATER!

lol all the booming places are too damn hot. Y'all crazy.

Born and raised in NYC and going back to LA. I cannot live in Florida, Arizona or Vegas. I need music venues and diverse flow of people. If I didn't go to LA. Dallas, Seattle, Houston or Denver would be my options.

I really like Texas a lot. Amazing people I met over the years compared to any place during my travels. Same could be said about NOLA but the city wasn't for me. Random thing to say but NOLA has the best food in the USA.
Ahhh.... there are many reasons to not like Phoenix but music venues are not them. We actually have a crap ton now (whether or not we have a good music scene is another question.). Plus Phoenix is actually pretty diverse.... in certain parts.

Last edited:

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I think I read an article that stated Florida has the 2nd fewest native population in the US. I was born in Florida, and felt it's been that way since the mid '80s.
Sounds about right. I'm hard pressed to find anyone who's originally from Tampa or the Bay Area in general. It's pretty hilarious how my two neighbors where I bought a house are from the exact state as me originally. They really have to figure out this traffic situation with all these new people moving in or we're fkd.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
LOL the metro area...which reaches as far west as the Delaware River, as far south as Trenton, as far north as New Haven, and literally all of Long Island. While the population of NYC continues to grow.

So yes...if you live in the suburbs north of the Mason Dixon line, then you are dying to leave. Also lol at the person saying they moved to NJ from NYC...yes you are part of this statistic.

The blur between "actual city/urban areas" and the "metro area/CSA" in articles like this are so misleading. It's done to prop up cities in the West and Southwest that are 90% sprawl and 10% city. Most of the places listed here as a place people are moving to, the people aren't moving to "the city/the urban area", they are moving to the suburbs, which are in the metro area, or within the legal city limits.

Last edited:

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL the metro area...which reaches as far west as the Delaware River, as far south as Trenton, as far north as New Haven, and literally all of Long Island. While the population of NYC continues to grow.

So yes...if you live in the suburbs north of the Mason Dixon line, then you are dying to leave. Also lol at the person saying they moved to NJ from NYC...yes you are part of this statistic.

The blur between "actual city/urban areas" and the "metro area/CSA" in articles like this are so misleading. It's done to prop up cities in the West and Southwest that are 90% sprawl and 10% city. Most of the places listed here as a place people are moving to, the people aren't moving to "the city/the urban area", they are moving to the suburbs, which are in the metro area, or within the legal city limits.
Cental Cities should not be depopulating while the surrounding metro area grows (all metro growth is in NJ, not NYS or CT.)

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
You move to Phoenix so your property will be worth millions when the edges of America get flooded in a few decades.

Degenerate

Nov 17, 2018
Move to houston and you can join fart club. Its a club I started with my friends and random people i tricked on craiglist. We meet only once a month and theres no dues which is good for anyone low on cash

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I have family from NYC who now live in Central Florida. Folks from NY Metro are plentiful and can afford houses and land they could only dream of before.

masud

Oct 31, 2017
Born and raised in NYC but I've been living in the south west for the past 10 years. Would love to move back but id literally have to win the lotto.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
As always, the story behind these things is more complicated than the hot takes suggest. A deeper dive into the info is needed.

UvBuZFz.png

NYC has been growing every year from 2010-2016, though the rate of that growth was declining. NYC has LONG had wildly expensive housing long before that, so sudden discovery that real estate is pricy probably isn't the cause of people moving out in 2017-2018.

a NYT article sheds some light on what happened here.

The latest figures suggest that population shifts in New York reverted to what had been a conventional pattern: Typically, more New Yorkers move to other parts of the United States than come from elsewhere in the country. But immigration from abroad usually makes up that loss, and tends to push the city's population higher.

This time, 137,000 more New Yorkers left the city for other parts of the country — retiring or moving to less expensive cities in the Sun Belt — than arrived from someplace else in the United States. The net increase in international migration was only about 49,000.

Traditionally more New Yorkers leave the city and move elsewhere in the country than do other Americans migrate to the city in GENERAL. This is particularly true as boomers begin retiring and looking to move to the south and west for milder climates. The entire northeast corridor has this issue- winter weather tends to drive out retirees. International Immigration is what usually offsets that loss, and contributes to the growth of NYC. So, what happened here that the loss appears to have accelerated?

"There is a very real possibility that the population did not decline," he said on Thursday. "We think the population is higher than 8.4 million."

One reason, he said, is the change in methodology meant to make one of the American Community Survey questions less ambiguous. Instead of asking people born abroad when they arrived in the United States, the bureau based its latest count on a more specific question: It asked where they lived a year ago.

"Our feeling is that the number for net international migration is likely too low because the new method tends to produce a lower figure," Dr. Salvo said.

He said the new method, while more conservative, may prove to be more accurate.

"The estimation methodology for net international migration has changed significantly, resulting in a revised 2010-2017 international migration estimate that is 31 percent lower than the previous vintage," a Planning Department analysis said.

Unlike the decentennial census, the yearly census results are done via something called the American Community Survey, which is done yearly and relies on an estimate. Changes to the methodology of that survey for the 2010-2017 period resulted in a revised estimate of international migration that was 31% lower than the method used by the previous survey.

Or in short, the census bureau changed the questions they used to estimate yearly population. Those changes caused the bureau to make the assumption that international migration going into NYC was a lot lower in 2010-2017 than it had been under the prior survey. As NYC's growth has historically been due to heavy international migration into the city as natives age out and move elsewhere, the revision showed a slow decline into a loss.

edit: that being said- the Trump Administration being EXTREMELY HOSTILE to foreign immigrants, implementing muslim bans, revoking visas, ramping up ICE raids and similar likely HAS caused international immigration to slow significantly in 2017/2018 compared to prior years on top of the changes to the survey.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Moving from an expensive as hell metro area to the middle of damn nowhere that's only going to get more brutal with climate change doesn't seem like a great move to me.