• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I am just curious about how much of the original HL1 and 2 team is still around. I know writers, artists and game programmers have come and gone, but could Valve in its current form be able to spark that magic again on their own project? I always enjoyed the Valve made content more than any outsourced project they have done.

Nov 11, 2017
Software
Left 4 Dead 3 could probably be developed with both VR and PC in mind, too. It'd be so fun to play alongside M+KB and VR users while fighting against zombie hordes. God, just the thought of a hybrid VR/PC L4D3 is giving me excitement goosebumps.
I would love that. BTW i just found out yesterday that Turtle Rock Studios is working on a spiritual successor to L4D2. :O it is called Back4Blood.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am just curious about how much of the original HL1 and 2 team is still around. I know writers, artists and game programmers have come and gone, but could Valve in its current form be able to spark that magic again on their own project? I always enjoyed the Valve made content more than any outsourced project they have done.

1/3 of the HL:Alyx team is from the original Half-Life team(s)

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I'm more than okay with waiting since Alyx looks like a full Half Life game and Valve is promising it will be a continuation of the story despite being a prequel.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Half-Life: Alyx may as well be Half-Life 3 for me. There is much more to a Half-Life game than finding out what happens after Episode Two, and even then, there is speculation we might just get that as well.

Assuming Half-Life: Alyx is received well, I'm sure we'll see more VR titles from them.

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
Do you think valve will continue with VR? I don't mean only with regards to half life, but in general?

Yeah they are rumored to have two other vr titles in development, and Gabe said recently that vr has revitalized the team with regards to fame development...

My point being, I LOVE VR, I don't want it to fade out, I also LOVE half life (it's my number 1 series of anything ever) so I'm about to build a new PC for this and am SERIOUSLY considering getting an index kit (I'd be fine with a Quest but I really want to see everything Valve has in store with Alyx and interactions, and I'd also like to do some VR dev) so I'm just hoping I don't spend a grand on a vr kit (I already have a winMR) for just this and boneworks and then nothing else :/

What say you chaps?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of what they say, this is kind of an unheard of situation in gaming and I'm super interested to see how it pans out.

A returning IP that's been on ice for 12 years. On one hand, people will be excited for ANYTHING Half Life at this point because it's been dead for so long and the game at least looks pretty good. On the other hand, people want HL3 so bad and this is renewing their hope, so Valve will not be able to escape the elephant in the room about the series' future throughout this entire marketing cycle of Alyx.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think valve will continue with VR? I don't mean only with regards to half life, but in general?

Yeah they are rumored to have two other vr titles in development, and Gabe said recently that vr has revitalized the team with regards to fame development...

My point being, I LOVE VR, I don't want it to fade out, I also LOVE half life (it's my number 1 series of anything ever) so I'm about to build a new PC for this and am SERIOUSLY considering getting an index kit (I'd be fine with a Quest but I really want to see everything Valve has in store with Alyx and interactions, and I'd also like to do some VR dev) so I'm just hoping I don't spend a grand on a vr kit (I already have a winMR) for just this and boneworks and then nothing else :/

What say you chaps?

i mean, probably, but it's hard to predict Valve and the market. I suspect they'll do at least a couple of other things that are mostly already in the works, even if this tanks.

I think a eventual Half-Life 3 would probably be non-VR again though, or just support it as an option like Resident Evil 7.