• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Much like RE2 Remake and the most likely news that RE3 is happening too, I could see them just pushing for Half Life 3 next, since they've found their groove with that franchise.

I think a big concern after so long must've been whether they could recapture the Half Life vibes or not, and despite Marc Laidlaw not being involved it looks like they have with Alyx VR. So yeah, if we end up being happy with the presentation of the Half Life story with that game, that would be encouragement to make more Half Life games and not drop it on the floor like last time.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
making a prequel in a different plataform is a very smart decision because HL3 has inhuman expectations by the fans, this game will make it right to what to expect from the saga nowadays and next games.
Thing is, the next game will be called Half Life 4, retrospectively making Alyx Half Life 3 without ever explicitly calling it that.
Valve has sidestepped the whole HL3 meme and good on them!

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I think the enthusiastic response to Half-Life: Alyx will definitely give them the confidence to create more games within the universe.

Oct 27, 2017
Watch it's some Half Life MOBA called Half Life Tactics.

I want to believe but I've also never felt the Jennifer Lawrence "sure" GIF more in my life

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Of course they didn't go through fully developing Valve Hammer 2 not to use it to churn out games faster.

Can't wait for Half Life Episode 2 Alyx Episode 1 and Half Life Episode 2 Alyx Episode 2.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. But I definitely feel like it has more of a chance to come now than any time before, now that the team has been reinvigorated to do more with Half-Life period. I'm just curious how they'll measure Alyx's success. The market for VR is so small compared to the mainstream market, so I'd be surprised if it was able to sell even half of what HL2 did, but maybe they'll try to research how many of those new players bought into VR for Alyx alone. Plus this is sure to sell a few more Indexes, which should help justify whatever they're spending on this.

God I wish I had money. I've never been a PC guy, so I'll definitely be waiting for reviews before deciding to jump in...but if it's worth it, I might finally break down and do this.

Cuboid 64

Oct 28, 2017
Glad to hear, though I figure any future Half-Life games in the vein of 1 and 2 are going to be VR as well, unless Alyx MASSIVELY tanks. And even then that outcome might lead more to "well we don't really want to do Half-Life unless it's in VR."

DharmaBum

Sep 5, 2018
I refuse to get my hopes up. Until they officially cancel Episode 3 I don't want to hear them even talk about Half-Life games.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just hope they don't forget Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Day of Defeat. As much as I looooooove Half-Life, some of their other franchises deserve some attention too, particularly L4D.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expected it but they should've saved this news for when they announce Half Life 3 just for the wow factor.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So buy our VR or no HL3? I mean as long as they actually keep their word this time and keep making the games, I'l be down.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm glad. I hope we just see a whole flurry of games from Valve that never really stops. They're great at managing a store front but man, I'd love for them to make a lot of games again.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder how many copies this game needs to sell to be considered a success to valve? Since it's VR only and only for PC, it's not going to sell anywhere near their other titles most likely.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they've held off announcing anything Artifact related until the HL announcement because they know people won't view Artifact as "killing" HL now.

I really enjoyed the game so I hope people give it a second shot.
Yeah, I honestly think the game itself was great, despite some issues, but overall I think marketing and timing were what killed Artifact.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like Half Life: Alyx was the warmup Valve needed to get into making games again. Pulling this straight from my ass, but I think Valve let their own reputation get the better of themselves for the past almost 10 years, to the point where they just weren't confident in their own productions. A new game and a new, fully-realized engine might be just what they needed to get back into the swing of things.

Only time will tell if Valve is gonna start making meaty single-player games again. But for now, I'm hopeful.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Going to keep my expectations low for now. Worth noting that Valve did intend to put out Half-Life 2: Episode 3 (or whatever it became) back in the day, too. I hope this time they get around their developer's block, but given the weight of expectation (that the devs talked about openly in Geoff Keighley's video), I wouldn't rule out a relapse just yet.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Eh, we all remember the promises for Episode 3. HL: Alyx does renew hope that they're secretly working on HL:3 or at least the next sequel in the franchise, but I'll believe it when we have a trailer and a release date.

I'm never getting my hopes up with Valve and Half-Life again lol

I'm sure the games will all be great in their own right, but anyone looking forward to or waiting for a 12-hour singleplayer story campaign FPS for non-VR is likely going to be disappointed.

I don't think there is any chance of this happening. For them to now dedicate the entire franchise to VR only would be a downright stupid and myopic business decision.

Even just putting aside the accessibility issues, how many players are going to purchase a VR headset? And of those players, how many of them are going to buy VR headsets just for Half-Life to make it a financially sensible decision for Valve? Why would they build a huge player base over two decades only to prevent most of them from accessing new entries to the franchise? That makes no sense and I don't believe this will be the case at all.

What does make more sense to me is that they'll continue developing spin-off entries and perhaps new IPs to push more VR headsets, but core entries to the franchise will be standard single player FPS campaigns

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
What if they made a Half-Life card game that is really cool for about a week and then kind of disappears of the face of the planet?