• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, so every country is gonna tirn a blind eye to this?
You know, Canada tries to speak out once or twice, and now they have their citizens held hostage for political exchange of prisoners and people in Canada have mixed feelings about stirring the hornet's nest some more. It's not a good situation for anyone to try to be a hero, especially with America being incredibly unreliable as an ally.

Trade wars and tariffs and other sanctions aren't easy, and doubtful they will hurt the right people before hurting the regular and more vulnerable citizenry first.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Looking forward to seeing the excuses Era's CCP stans give out now.

Oh wait, they don't post in these threads.

Likely just ones that isn't likely to get a ton of attention (Like the US taking action):

www.resetera.com

[AP] US rejects nearly all Chinese claims in South China Sea

US rejects China's 9 dash line claims in the South China Sea. Hoping to see more coordination between Indo-Pacific powers to blunt China in the region. Quad will continue to serve an important role in the future. https://apnews.com/07dc9cff9d42047cfcf28799112eb59d China's claims:

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I know people hate Trump and America, I certainly do, but Even a broken clock is right once a day. You don't have to give the administration props for doing things, But please stop saying 'No one is doing anything' There has been several meaningful steps by the United States against China for a whole host of things (Ugyhars, Hong Kong, South China Sea etc).

I also know the UK government is not being viewed favorably as well, But they have offered 3+ million Hong Kong residents a pathway to citizenship in the UK and have struck down the Huawei 5G cell tower deal.

What additional steps should the West and the United States take.

Do you want a military or containment solution? You have the start of that with the Quad.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know people hate Trump and America, I certainly do, but Even a broken clock is right once a day. You don't have to give the administration props for doing things, But please stop saying 'No one is doing anything' There has been several meaningful steps by the United States against China for a whole host of things (Ugyhars, Hong Kong, South China Sea etc).

I also know the UK government is not being viewed favorably as well, But they have offered 3+ million Hong Kong residents a pathway to citizenship in the UK and have struck down the Huawei 5G cell tower deal.

Do you want a military or containment solution? You have the start of that with the Quad.

Couldn't governments start to do stuff like ban import of cotton from China.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Couldn't governments start to do stuff like ban import of cotton from China.

I mean there is a laundry list of things they can do, Maybe the Sanctions on CCP members is the first step. I disagree with Trump on pretty much everything, and I am sure he is only doing this for his selfish reasons, But I'm glad that some in the west is trying to stand up against China.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not all that long ago yes I would have expected the US and UK to deploy active military if needed to HK and Taiwan to ensure the CCP did not effectively annex them and force them under their administration. We've now seen with HK that isn't the case and Taiwan is a different story given its strategic importantance in the region but now I'm not so sure.

Deploying into HK obviously opens a big old can of worms and I'm unsure if such an offer was ever put forward and perhaps rejected by the HK admin as they seem to be fine with the CCP apparently.

Hard to say I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Not all that long ago yes I would have expected the US and UK to deploy active military if needed to HK and Taiwan to ensure the CCP did not effectively annex them and force them under their administration. We've now seen with HK that isn't the case and Taiwan is a different story given its strategic importantance in the region but now I'm not so sure.

Deploying into HK obviously opens a big old can of worms and I'm unsure if such an offer was ever put forward and perhaps rejected by the HK admin as they seem to be fine with the CCP apparently.

Hard to say I guess.

Why would you have expected that? We have no bilaterial security agreement with Hong Kong. I don't believe we even officially recognize Taiwan

America was never going to go into a shooting war with China over Hong Kong. If Hong Kong was an American Colony, maybe things might have vbeen different, but I doubt it.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would you have expected that? We have no bilaterial security agreement with Hong Kong. I don't believe we even officially recognize Taiwan

America was never going to go into a shooting war with China over Hong Kong. If Hong Kong was an American Colony, maybe things might have vbeen different, but I doubt it.

I mean I guess just decades of stated policy not allowing such territorial expansion/aggression.

I would not have expected a hot war, just presence. I guess yeah too much potential to turn hot so that's probably why it didn't happen with HK. But that goes both ways. Large coalition presence on HK border to prevent all of those CCP forces from going in may well have resulted in a better outcome for HK.

Up to CCP at that point to make it hot and I highly doubt they would have.

Tawian actually is a case of US naval presence deterring aggression by CCP navy and potential CCP forces landing and slowly building an annexation there as well. Sometimes it might make sense to deploy for similar reasons on a land border.

Last edited:

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
You know, Canada tries to speak out once or twice, and now they have their citizens held hostage for political exchange of prisoners and people in Canada have mixed feelings about stirring the hornet's nest some more. It's not a good situation for anyone to try to be a hero, especially with America being incredibly unreliable as an ally.

Trade wars and tariffs and other sanctions aren't easy, and doubtful they will hurt the right people before hurting the regular and more vulnerable citizenry first.

So we're basically back to doing nothing.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I mean nothing is surprising at this point and it looks like this is footage is over a year old:

www.theguardian.com

China footage reveals hundreds of blindfolded and shackled prisoners

Video shows what appear to be Uighur or other minority prisoners led away by police

... but it's still very effective in demonstrating the human face (even if it's blindfolded). I feel like people read about this, go tsk tsk and then move on with their day. It's all so enormously frustrating, the CCP is carrying out state-sponsored genocide in the most blatant way possible. How the fuck are there not mass sanctions from the entire first world?

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
What is the general public's feeling in the Phillippines about China/CCP if you don't mind me asking?
Well majority hates them especially since they have been taking our islands/reefs. Not just the CCP but Chinese people from China since they've been coming here and working and not paying taxes and causing controversy. One example is since there's a lot of them, they have established underground hospitals since covid started and that caters only to Chinese without any proper sanitation, we get reports in the news every other week that police has raided an underground hospital with syringe and other medical supplies just lying on the floor.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't see a hot war breaking out between China and the US/West. A cold proxy war in Africa? More likely imo
I think it's likely going to be China vs a SEA country first just due to territory takeover. Maybe even Japan. Then the rest of the world will be dragged in. Those old grudges and tensions are going to boil over.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
The US has condemned this at least, although with a broken foreign policy I don't expect that to mean much.
www.nbcnews.com

China says it will retaliate after Trump approves Uighur Muslims sanctions law

"China will resolutely take countermeasures, and all the consequences arising therefrom must be fully borne by the United States," a senior official said.
home.treasury.gov

Treasury Sanctions Chinese Entity and Officials Pursuant to Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act

Washington – Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned one Chinese government entity and four current or former government officials in connection with serious rights abuses against ethnic minorities in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region...
It also seems like the CCP no longer cares about maintainin the charade of decency.
The U.S. sanctions were put in place right after details from Bolton's book came out:
"[Trump] then, stunningly, turned the conversation to the coming U.S. presidential election, alluding to China's economic capability to affect the ongoing campaigns, pleading with Xi to ensure he'd win," Bolton writes. "He stressed the importance of farmers, and increased Chinese purchases of soybeans and wheat in the electoral outcome. I would print Trump's exact words but the government's prepublication review process has decided otherwise."

At the same meeting, Xi also defended China's construction of camps housing as many as 1 million Uighur Muslims in Xinjiang — and Trump signaled his approval. "According to our interpreter," Bolton writes, "Trump said that Xi should go ahead with building the camps, which Trump thought was exactly the right thing to do."
This from a June 2019 meeting between Trump and Xi.

Trump asked China's Xi to help him win reelection, according to Bolton book (WaPo)

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently this footage is over 9 months old, which tells you everything you need to know about how little it is reported on/cared about in the west

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's likely going to be China vs a SEA country first just due to territory takeover. Maybe even Japan. Then the rest of the world will be dragged in. Those old grudges and tensions are going to boil over.
Yeah, maybe. Are there any China proxies/allies in the region besides North Korea? Honest question, I'm not really up to speed in that region

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
Genocide pure and simple. Imagine if Nazi Germany had nukes and that's basically the situation we're in. Sickens me to my stomach.

Time to fully divest from China. We've let these things fly for too long and the abuses are getting far worse under Winnie the Pooh.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

China will never attack Japan, the cost wouldn't be worth the benefit. A country like Vietnam though? I could see it happening. China deploying troops to Vietnam would be a Germany invading Poland moment. The world would be irrevocably changed after it happens.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Serious question. How do we know it is the Uighers and not just prisoners

www.cnn.com

Disturbing video shows hundreds of blindfolded prisoners in Xinjiang - CNN

A drone video appearing to show hundreds of blindfolded men being led from a train in China has raised new concerns over the ongoing crackdown on Muslim Uyghurs in the far western region of Xinjiang.

The article cites an unnamed western intelligence official who believes it's authentic. Two Muslims who were detained in reeducation camp have also said the video matches their experiences. This can never be 100% verified because China is never going to straight up admit to what they are doing.

But honestly I'm not sure why it matters that much, it's not like this one video is the only proof we have of how China is treating the Uyghurs.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As always, the West(Americans especially) don't give a fuck about muslims. Either in China or with Israel genociding people. Democrats, Republicans, Trump, Hillary, Biden, it doesn't matter, they'll keep sucking the dicks of China and Israel until the end of time.

Samoyeti

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely horrifying. Even more depressing that on top of the majority of the western world being quiet about this, even some Islamic countries choose to side with China because the CCP is perceived as the lesser evil.

Arab dictatorships need China. It supplies them with weapons, high tech and money. China is the best friend of dictators. However, Muslim countries like Turkey, Malaysia, Indonesia etc are speaking up against China. While the OIC speaks about Palestine and Kashmir, it must speak about Xinjiang too.

The reason why many Islamic countries choose to side with the lesser evil – China and accept to ignore the suffering of their East Turkestani Muslim brothers, is related to US imperialism. They see China as the 'Shaytan' which we can work with.

Last edited:

madame x

May 15, 2020
www.cnn.com

Disturbing video shows hundreds of blindfolded prisoners in Xinjiang - CNN

A drone video appearing to show hundreds of blindfolded men being led from a train in China has raised new concerns over the ongoing crackdown on Muslim Uyghurs in the far western region of Xinjiang.

The article cites an unnamed western intelligence official who believes it's authentic. Two Muslims who were detained in reeducation camp have also said the video matches their experiences. This can never be 100% verified because China is never going to straight up admit to what they are doing.

But honestly I'm not sure why it matters that much, it's not like this one video is the only proof we have of how China is treating the Uyghurs.
im not equivocating or anything here

but... are "unnamed western intelligence officials" reputable? historically, i'd say no.

still, there need to be answers for this because it looks, well, REALLY bad.

Last edited:

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
'China Succeeding in Doing What Hitler Failed to Do With Jews': Historian Lifts Lid Off Atrocities Against Uighur Muslims

www.news18.com

‘China Succeeding in Doing What Hitler Failed to Do With Jews’: Historian Lifts Lid Off Atrocities Against Uighur Muslims - News18

Olsi Jazexhi said OIC countries were aware of China's actions but simply did not care as it supplies them with weapons, high tech and money.
[–]HadHerses [+1] 13.0k points 2 hours ago

And one day, when history looks back on this, and my grandchildren ask if I knew about it, I will say yes, yes I did.
While I sit here on a sunny, summer evening drinking a beer, I know that in China, there are thousands of people having their culture, lives and future exterminated.
And no government did anything because they wanted to sell stuff to China, and we wanted to buy crap cheap.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This depressingly looks like the 2nd act of Schindler's List but with slightly more color.

While it seems they aren't going for mass extermination based on other reports they still, according to such reports, committing cultural genocide with a dash of half assed murdering.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
im not equivocating or anything here

but... are "unnamed western intelligence officials" reputable? historically, i'd say no.

certainly think they should be condemned but the truth is i dont KNOW if its prisoners (tho no prisoners should be treated like that) or uighurs. i hope it is just prisoners, for the sake of peace and for the uighurs of course. im just skeptical of western intelligence and their reports on china, but that doesnt absolve china or mean "china is good."

Like I said, there is no way to 100% verify what's going on in this particular video. However, there is a lot of evidence of China's mistreatment of Uighurs so it sure feels suspect to see people acting like the video is the one thing that could prove or disprove the existence of reeduction camps.

We have:

A leaked database showing how China detains and monitors Uighurs :
www.aljazeera.com

China ‘war on terror’ uproots Uighur families, leaked data shows

Newly revealed database exposes methods the Chinese government employed to crack down on Muslim minorities in Xinjiang.

400 pages of leaked documents showing how China organizes their crackdowns:
www.nytimes.com

‘Absolutely No Mercy’: Leaked Files Expose How China Organized Mass Detentions of Muslims (Published 2019)

More than 400 pages of internal Chinese documents provide an unprecedented inside look at the crackdown on ethnic minorities in the Xinjiang region.

Evidence that Uighurs are forced to work in labor camps:
www.aljazeera.com

Growing evidence Uighurs forced to work in China factories-report

Report finds Uighurs working in Chinese factories that are in the supply chains of 83 global brands.

Etc.

It's bizarre to me to go on twitter and see so many lefties (ostensibly the people who are supposed to care about human rights) take this weird, unjustified agnostic position.

Neutral_Jump

Mar 21, 2020
Saint Louis
Not to stray off topic but the footage shared by OP is nearly a year old. This isn't new.

I think it's important for folks to know that this has been going on for a long, long time.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, there is no way to 100% verify what's going on in this particular video. However, there is a lot of evidence of China's mistreatment of Uighurs so it sure feels suspect to see people acting like the video is the one thing that could prove or disprove the existence of reeduction camps.

We have:

A leaked database showing how China detains and monitors Uighurs :
www.aljazeera.com

China ‘war on terror’ uproots Uighur families, leaked data shows

Newly revealed database exposes methods the Chinese government employed to crack down on Muslim minorities in Xinjiang.

400 pages of leaked documents showing how China organizes their crackdowns:
www.nytimes.com

‘Absolutely No Mercy’: Leaked Files Expose How China Organized Mass Detentions of Muslims (Published 2019)

More than 400 pages of internal Chinese documents provide an unprecedented inside look at the crackdown on ethnic minorities in the Xinjiang region.

Evidence that Uighurs are forced to work in labor camps:
www.aljazeera.com

Growing evidence Uighurs forced to work in China factories-report

Report finds Uighurs working in Chinese factories that are in the supply chains of 83 global brands.

Etc.

It's bizarre to me to go on twitter and see so many lefties (ostensibly the people who are supposed to care about human rights) take this weird, unjustified agnostic position.
People are blinded when it comes to international issues when they focus too much on domestic issues.
Trump is bad so Iran couldn't have mined those cargo ships.
Marco Rubio is bad so any anti-CCP stance by the US government is flawed and misguided.

It's absolutely fair to distrust the US and recognize that it's a shockingly flawed country at the best of times and a fairly awful one now, but people who cheer on the Iranian government, people who cheered on Hugo Chavez or the CCP simply because they are against the US are missing the plot a bit.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I know this seems like it won't matter in this crazy world, but write your senator, congressman, MP.....whoever you elect. And keep doing it.

This is absolutely abhorrent.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
The world has a moral imperative to give the CCP the South Africa treatment.

History will judge us harshly for our inaction. The parallels to the Holocaust could not be any clearer.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
We have people on this website who give the CCP the benefit of the doubt on an awfully consistent basis.

They reject the US Navy's presence in the Pacific on the grounds that they want to avoid conflict with China at all costs, which is understandable enough, but then they also reject any and all economic punishment against China--at which point, it's hard to argue you're just not an apologist for a country perpetrating what is unambiguously a modern day Holocaust.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Horrified by this entire situation. It makes me (further) doubt the worth of our species, honestly.

JS3DX

Feb 15, 2018
China has that much political and economic influence in the world right now, that the only thing you'll get from the UN right know is a "we are deeply concerned" statement. Nobody will intervene unless China does something that directly affect another country, like starting a war, but even that has some fine print, like what happened with Crimea's annexation by Russia.

TL;DR: Country-led groups in general have no say in current global affairs, unless it's about economic cooperation. No country will stand up and do something unless it directly affects them, or have something to gain in exchange.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The whole thing just makes me feel so helpless. Like I look and see something horrible happen but I have literally no power to stop it because people in power who could actually do anything don't care.