• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
DwZ_YuUUYAE9qQK.jpg

Naomi Ackie, Denise Gough, Jamie Campbell Bower, Sheila Atim, Ivanno Jeremiah, Georgie Henley, Alex Sharp, and Toby Regbo have all joined the pilot in series regular roles. They join previously announced cast members Naomi Watts and Josh Whitehouse. As with all things "Game of Thrones," the exact nature of each of their roles is being kept under wraps.

In addition, S.J. Clarkson has signed on to direct the pilot in addition to serving as an executive producer. Clarkson was most recently selected to direct the next film in the rebooted "Star Trek" franchise. She also recently executive produced and directed the limited series "Collateral" for BBC and Netflix. Her other directing credits include: the Marvel-Netflix shows "The Defenders" and "Jessica Jones," the Netflix series "Orange Is the New Black," HBO's "Vinyl" and "Succession," and Showtime's "Dexter."

Jane Goldman co-created the project with George R.R. Martin, whose "A Song of Ice and Fire" novel series serves as the basis for "Game of Thrones." Goldman and Martin wrote the story, with Goldman writing the teleplay. She will also serve as showrunner. She and Martin will executive produce along with Clarkson, Daniel Zelman, James Farrell, Jim Danger Gray, and "Game of Thrones" executive producer Vince Gerardis. Chris Symes will co-executive produce.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/game-of-thrones-prequel-cast-sj-clarkson-director-1203102426/

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HBO announced Tuesday the full core cast and director for its eagerly anticipated Game of Thrones prequel — and Westeros is looking more diverse and female-focused than ever before.
First up is the director. After a long search, British director SJ Clarkson has been tapped for the show's pilot. Clarkson most recently directed and produced the BBC/Netflix production Collateral and she's directed episodes of Orange Is the New Black, Dexter, Bates Motel, and the pilot for Jessica Jones. Clarkson has also been announced as directing the next big-screen Star Trek film. She joins the prequel's previously announced showrunner Jane Goldman (Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class) in crafting the first episode, which will be shot later this year.
gettyimages-825022054.jpg

shutterstock_editorial_9276278dq_huge.jpg

Naomi Ackie: British actress with a leading upcoming role in Star Wars: Episode IX, and received accolades for her debut film role in 2017's Lady Macbeth. She was also in the film Yardie and the Channel 4 series The Bisexual.

denise-gough-headshot.jpg

Denise Gough: Irish stage actress who won raves for starring in the plays People Places and Things and Angels In America, and was recently in the film Colette playing transgender pioneer Marquise de Belbeuf.

jamie-campbell-bower-headshot1.jpg

Jamie Campbell Bower: British actor and musician whose credits include The Twilight Saga, Starz' Camelot, and Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd. (Also: Totally looks like a Lannister, right?)

gettyimages-1063467568.jpg

Shella Atim: Award-winning British stage actress who was a series regular in Hulu's Harlots.

ivanno-jeremiah-ruth-crafer-headshot1.jpg

Ivanno Jeremiah: Britsh actor whose credits include AMC's Humans, Netflix's Black Mirror, and stars in the upcoming film The Flood.

georgie-henley-headshot.jpg

Georgie Henley: Best known for playing Lucy in Disney's Narnia films, she's also in an upcoming Starz limited series The Spanish Princess.

gettyimages-472194452.jpg

Alex Sharp: British stage actor who landed the lead in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and appeared in How to Talk to Girls at Parties.

shutterstock_editorial_9257493l_huge-1.jpg

Toby Regbo: Credits include The CW's Reign, Netflix's The Last Kingdom and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.

MV5BNjA4OTE0MDkxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzg5OTM1ODE@._V1_.jpg

Actor Josh Whitehouse has also been previously announced as in the cast.

Not a lot is known about the prequel's story, which is officially described as: "Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world's descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros's history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend… it's not the story we think we know."

Martin has previously told EW that the prequel will be rather different than the original hit show, which returns in April for its final six epsiodes. "Westeros is a very different place" he said. "There's no King's Landing. There's no Iron Throne. There are no Targaryens — Valyria has hardly begun to rise yet with its dragons and the great empire that it built. We're dealing with a different and older world and hopefully that will be part of the fun of the series."

The cast of the prequel alone seems to hint at some key differences with the original series. Thrones has been criticized for a lack of diversity as most of its core cast is played by white actors. The show has been praised for its strong female characters — creating iconic fan favorites such as Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke), Arya Stark (Maisie Williams), Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie) and several others. Yet the handling of female characters has sometimes been criticized. The prequel lineup with its three female leads, female showrunner and director and diverse cast suggests a new woker-Westeros approach.

If greenlit to series, the Game of Thrones prequel is expected to arrive on HBO in 2020 at the earliest.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/01/08/game-of-thrones-prequel-cast-director/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I had never heard of Naomi Ackie and now she's in two of my favorite things.

Also, this cast makes it seem like the Summee Isles will be a big part of this show.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, i don't really love anything Clarkson has done but i love everything Goldman has done.

hopefully Clarkson blows it out of the water with the next star trek film.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where do the black people in GoT lore came from, or are they already part of the population in Westeros?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know any of these actors (except Naomi Watts), but I'll be interested in seeing if this show can hold my attention. It kinda depends on how badly D&D tank the final season.

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Female or male dont must be news, we are humans! Tired of this shit in news.

Cant wait for Targaryens!

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Prequel?

As in, Roberts Rebellion?

Nope -

"Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world's descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: From the horrifying secrets of Westeros' history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East, to the Starks of legend… it's not the story we think we know."

Does Martin have any role in writing/producing the show?

He helped develop the concept

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So we might get some lore expansion in the prequel by going into other kingdoms not on the mainland?

It really depends on how the story is focused. Since this takes place centuries before the Targs and the fall of Valyria, it's likely that there isn't a lot of intercontinental travel. But it's possible that the black characters are from Sothyros (if memory serves, it's closer to Westeros than Essos is) or just clans that resettled in Westeros and eventually died out.

Alternatively: they don't really have to explain it if they don't want to. It's mentioned in lore that some Dornish people are very dark in complexion, and Dorne is the closest part of Westeros to Sothyros, so it would check out that way.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I read that Letitia Wright (Shuri from Black Panther) was up for a leading role but they couldn't work out a deal. Still bums me out.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Aethelred From Last Kingdom! I hated his character from it lol (liked his acting tho)

Also wasn't Jamie Campbell bower in the first episode of game thrones?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Looks like a CW cast list...

where are the normal- and ugly-looking people? :(

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be pretty bad I feel like. The plot sounds like it's repeating Game of Thrones except there is no dragons (the main appeal of the later seasons for casual fans). The characters look extremely boring, with a lack of variety between them (all 20s-30s adults).

I'm really not sure how they are going to differentiate themselves from new fantasy series such as The Witcher and Amazon's "Lord of the Rings," since the white walkers can't come in full force until the final season.

I do wonder if GRRM can break the prequel curse that plagues major franchises.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be pretty bad I feel like. The plot sounds like it's repeating Game of Thrones except there is no dragons (the main appeal of the later seasons for casual fans). The characters look extremely boring, with a lack of variety between them (all 20s-30s adults).

I'm really not sure how they are going to differentiate themselves from new fantasy series such as The Witcher and Amazon's "Lord of the Rings," since the white walkers can't come in full force until the final season.

I do wonder if GRRM can break the prequel curse that plagues major franchises.
I don't care what Martin says, a Roberts rebellion prequel would've been the perfect series to follow up game of thrones and help ease the casuals into the deeper history. I still wish that Sapochnik Valeria prequell rumor is real.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care what Martin says, a Roberts rebellion prequel would've been the perfect series to follow up game of thrones and help ease the casuals into the deeper history. I still wish that Sapochnik Valeria prequell rumor is real.
Roberts Rebellion would have been a horrible follow up, for various reasons. It would have all of the bad prequel trappings. Do we really want to see Jaime and Cersei and Tyrion and all of these other characters recast as children and teens? Do we really want to see all of the fan service and winks and nods to GoT?

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Enough Game of Thrones....leave this universe to the books
Especially after the bad seasons 5 and 7

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Roberts Rebellion would have been a horrible follow up, for various reasons. It would have all of the bad prequel trappings. Do we really want to see Jaime and Cersei and Tyrion and all of these other characters recast as children and teens? Do we really want to see all of the fan service and winks and nods to GoT?

Pretty much. All the actors are too old now to conceivably play younger versions of their characters, so you'd have to recast EVERYONE. And on top of that, we already know everything that happened. It's literally covered in the show itself.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Did they blow their casting budget on Naomi Watts? I don't know any of these people.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Jamie Campbell Bower was terrible as King Arthur, that was years ago though so hopefully he's improved since then and/or has been cast in a more suitable role.

I like EIvanno Jeremiah in humans.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather see a Doom of Valyria story (literally just go full Rome and give it to Bruno Heller please), the initial Targaryen invasion, Robert's Rebellion, even the lead-up to the tragedy at Summerhall (and I think Dunk and Egg are pretty boring lol).

I don't think they should do *another* series about fighting the Others/White Walkers at all.