• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Every Mission Impossible movie has been at the very least "solid" and at it's best great....and yes, that includes Mission Impossible II.

source.gif

Rocky 5 is a turd but Rocky 1 is Oscar- Worthy classic and the rest of the films range from ok to great. Including Creed and Creed II (which is better than the original)

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Even with Rocky 5 I still think Rocky wins this. That entire series is too good.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Mission Impossible only had one bad movie, and even it was still full of non-stop stupid action. Rocky V and Rocky Balboa ain't exactly great.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Rocky.

Both franchises are pretty consistently good, each only having one bad movie in their ranks. What separates the two is that Rocky has a Best Picture winner in its ranks.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Every Mission Impossible movie has been at the very least "solid" and at it's best great....and yes, that includes Mission Impossible II.

source.gif

Rocky 5 is a turd but Rocky 1 is Oscar- Worthy classic and the rest of the films range from ok to great. Including Creed and Creed II (which is better than the original)

Mission Impossible wins because the entire series is "How can Tom Cruise one up his crazy ass stunts from the last movie?"

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, at this point you can't possibly pick Rocky.

Somehow my mind confused rocky and rambo.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even in the one bad mission impossible movie, it still has Tom Cruise and some dude jumping off motorcycles and hugging each other in the air, as their bikes fly off a cliff and explode for no reason

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
The MI series has a bunch of fun movies.

But Rocky actually has some legit great films that resonate with me.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Mission Impossible. I wouldn't call Rocky a consistent movie franchise.

Also, Rocky winning the best picture over Taxi Driver, Network, All the President's Men and Bound for Glory is Academy bullshit of the highest order.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
"Consistent" how?

If you were to insert Rocky IV flashbacks into Creed during the scenes where they talk about Apollo's death, the tonal shift between the two movies would be so jarring that it'd give you whiplash.

Deleted member 35217

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
My gut says Mission Impossible but I was shocked how well the Rocky series plays out (other than 4 and 5) when I first watched them last year.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Rocky Balboa is low key maybe the 2nd or 3rd best movie in the franchise (factoring in Creed), the ending is a right hook straight into the feels.

"Adrian... we did it"

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Mission Impossible: Fallout is arguably one of the best action movies of the past decade. Rocky doesn't have higher highs. If Mission Impossible 2 didn't exist, it'd be a flawless franchise.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Rocky took more twist and turns tonally but remained entertaining besides V. That is a feat, and I also consider Rocky as a franchise better than MI.

But MI is more consistent though. V is a bigger drop in quality than MI2. And the gap between V and Balboa is huge.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MI and it's not even a contest. The first movie's CGI aged poorly and 2's action is a bit too unrealistic at times, but everything else about that series is top-notch to this day.

Apr 19, 2018
Huh, there's no poll?

I enjoy the M:I movies, but I have a greater affinity for the Rocky and Creed movies.

And yes, Rocky 6/Balboa is one of the all-time greats. My personal favorite in the entire series.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Rocky 1-4 are among my favorite movies ever so Rocky wins hands down. Rocky 5 and Rocky Balboa were really sub par though. The Creed movies are excellent though if those count as well.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I think Rocky has better films in Rocky 1, 2, and Creed 1, 2, but M:I is more consistent.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mission impossible is the most consistently average.

MI is okay
MI 2 is bad
3-5 all run together for me. I couldn't tell you which is which.

Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't watched Mission: Impossible, but I heard good things about them. They've been consistent since the third one. Rocky, however, has had some bumps in the road. Rocky got an oscar. II and III were solid. IV is ridiculous, but a ton of fun to watch. V is disappointing, especially with the set up. Missed potential. Rocky Balboa was a return to form, and the Creed movies are great.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hmm, that's pretty tough. I grew up with the 80's Rocky movies, so 3 and 4 have a special place in my heart, but I think MI might win for me. I've enjoyed every film in the series so far. Even 2, which is so John Woo, and I love it for it. It's just so damn over the top. I'm also a big Face/Off fan, so I think I just enjoy how much he stretches believability in his movies.

Rocky 1-4 are solid entries. I don't even remember if I ever watched 5, but Rocky Balboa hit me with the feels, and both Creeds are great.

It's lame, but they're kind of tied in my mind. They both have highs and lows (Rocky hits the lowest low with V), but both franchises are consistently entertaining, I think. This is a good comparison thread. I feel they're both in the same league as far as long running franchises that manage to have more quality entries than not. Not many series can boast that, and over such a long period of time, as well.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Mission Impossible is more consistent, each movie is decent while Rocky ranges from great to terrible.