• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The number of US deaths linked to Covid-19 has surpassed the toll of Americans killed in the Vietnam War, according to a tracker from the Johns Hopkins University.

The pandemic has killed 58,365 people in the United States, the Baltimore-based university said. According to the National Archives, 58,220 Americans were killed in combat and from other causes such as accidents during years of war in Southeast Asia.

Despite the rising death toll, some states have eased restrictions in the face of an economy battered by the pandemic.

With US President Donald Trump's economic adviser forecasting an unemployment rate of more than 16% for April and many Americans chafing under stay-at-home orders, about a dozen states were moving to restart their economies despite a lack of large-scale virus testing.

Public health experts have warned that a premature rollback of social-distancing policies could cause a surge in new infections.

Source: https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0428/1135434-us-cases-million/

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Grossly inappropriate commentary in a sensitive topic
Hope a second wave hits these places opening up irresponsibly. Hard.

For the greater good

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
It wasn't that long ago that losing 4 American lives meant a lot to people. With no end in sight those same people seem less concerned.

Dec 11, 2017
People always say George W. Bush was a worse President than Trump, but Trump has been really gaining ground lately.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think its more than 60k now.

And I still see doctors on cable news and facebook denying that this is a serious thing. I don't understand their logic when 60k people died in less than 2 months.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't that long ago that losing 4 American lives meant a lot to people. With no end in sight those same people seem less concerned.

1 death is a tragedy. 50,000+ deaths is a statistic.

I have no faith in the abilities of the general populace to comprehend the death striking the country, unless it's directly connected to them. Especially as the GOP and associates try to mislead.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, now you can say without a doubt that Trump is the worst US president of all time. Sorry, Dub Bush but you been dethroned.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

And I still see doctors on cable news and facebook denying that this is a serious thing. I don't understand their logic when 60k people died in less than 2 months.

Pretty sure it just boils down to they're bought and are shilling for whoever cut their check.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Yeah but it's all people who were in the verge of dying anyway, they probably didn't even die from Covid they just stuck that on the death certificate.

/s

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Not really much of a comparison when you consider 3 million Vietnamese died in the Vietnam war.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Not really much of a comparison when you consider 3 million Vietnamese died in the Vietnam war.
I think it's more just meant to put it in context for Americans who are still trying to say it's not a big deal. But your point should definitely be highlighted in any reporting of this.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

The projections had been lowered to ~60k deaths by August, and were just revised to ~75k since we just passed 60k.

mittelos

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but it's all people who were in the verge of dying anyway, they probably didn't even die from Covid they just stuck that on the death certificate.

/s
Yep, hospitals are overcounting to get them fat CARES checks duh, plus whatevs, more people die from suicide and car accidents each year. This is basically just a bad cold that's going around, thanks libs and lamestream media for wrecking the economy, cure worse than disease!!! /s

Oct 30, 2017

Oh there is definitely under reporting we won't truly know the extent for a while til it simmers down but yeah 60k in less than 2 months is insane and states are opening back up?!

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

The point is it took years for that many people to die while this took months.

Do you think Americans give a shit of the deads they have caused in other countries?

Yes? Did you forget that the government and military lied to the whole country from the very beginning of the war which led to a massive anti war movement and LBJ not running for a second term?

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Gp0PCosuQqhsC-BTkjlg9_KZrzd9fQdcDSa6J_DzySXiO5Xnry64QVpKkxTS6jMXaQTmcIUaHF-h2zVEyAOPelcMT_5Zew54x9pl6Z7yye5iKZccLdODc2sUemEVwXeOYTV6MrUSXiObvsz0CkreJAjKwcw