• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have our gratitude and your name in the credits? Dude, just pay them for their work. Exposure doesn't pay bills.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The devs could have just said or did nothing and eventually somebody would've translated the game for them.

Instead they decided to show their asses.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Having worked in localization myself, and knowing the amount of work that goes into it, this is pretty damn insulting.

It's stuff like this that motivated us to pay our localizers high rates across all of our games, and credit them in-game every time.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
Oh ma gawd, finally I could put my bilingualism for exposure bucks! In celebration, I'm going to pay for my expensive steak dinners by telling them I'll upload a photo of their steaks on my IG with ... 3 followers.

... Wait, how do I pay for food with exposure bucks...

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Where do I apply? I don't know either language but I know Google Translate. I'll do it for the exposure!

Mordhau 개발자는 멍청이이며 당신은 그들의 게임을 구매해서는 안됩니다.

Boom, that's free. Put that on the Steam page.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
For better or for worse, freelance/indie artists, designers, and programmers in the industry who are looking for entry level work take no-pay deals all the time. The industry is difficult to break into, and you need experience. I've done my fair share of free labor for indie projects, some out of love for the projects vision and some because I wanted to include the experience on my resume. While it is unfortunate, this is common in indie development and just kind of a facet of the entry level game industry. Now im speaking as a designer / 3d artist, translators are fairly different roles, but to the developers its a similar process.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For better or for worse, freelance/indie artists, designers, and programmers in the industry who are looking for entry level work take no-pay deals all the time.

For better or for worse? I'm pretty sure we can all agree it's just one of those-- and probably not the one you're thinking based on the content of your post.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
As a general rule, I feel like if you're going to make money on someone else's work, you have to pay them for it.

Unless they plan to release that game for free in those languages, the translation is by definition going to make them profit.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Lol the fuck. Didn't they sell over 500k copies of their game? How the fuck do they not have money to pay someone?

To be fair, before it was released there was absolutely no guarantee it would have sold even a fraction of the amount it has now. Not saying that to justify them not offering paid localization work, but during development it was pretty much just a bunch of Chivalry fans loosely forming a ragtag online studio (which I guess still holds true).

VaeVictis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It has already been made clear that the request for free localizers has been made prior to the release and success of the game. All post after this fact attacking Mordhau devs are purely malicious and intentionally disruptive. Your Two Minutes of Hate has run out.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, do you think small guy Valve could pay professional translator? Gabe only has a pair of billions in the bank
I really do think that Valve should do the translations of Steam and their own games themselves. The STS would've been great if more indie games signed up for it, but as of right now, there are only 4 indie games that supports translations through STS. The other problem is Store pages which is awesome if they all could be translated (most larger companies already got translations of their games storepage in most languages), but "volunteers" should regularly be rewarded to do that dirty work, even if only with Steam money. I was once a volunteer at STS and there were really cool rewards during the launch of Dota 2 but I haven't really bothered since cuz I ain't no tool.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Having worked in localization myself, and knowing the amount of work that goes into it, this is pretty damn insulting.

It's stuff like this that motivated us to pay our localizers high rates across all of our games, and credit them in-game every time.
Damn, we need more people like you xD When we are working with agencies, we never get mentioned in the credits, because we are the freelancers behind their company. I kinda understand that you don't want to mention a potential competitor in the field, but we are so small, it would definitely not hurt anyone.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
E X P O S U R E gives me all the macro I need to stay healthy and grow huge biceps!

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
It has already been made clear that the request for free localizers has been made prior to the release and success of the game. All post after this fact attacking Mordhau devs are purely malicious and intentionally disruptive. Your Two Minutes of Hate has run out.
You do realise that how wealthy you are has abso-fucking-lutely no bearing on whether or not you should pay the people working for you, right?

You aren't entitled to free labour just because you're poor. I would have thought that would be common sense, but there's a fair few posts that seem to think otherwise.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty standard practice in software development, but usually for opensource stuff and I don't think I've ever seen it done for a B2P game before.

Oct 27, 2017

This is was posted prior to the release date and no one expected the success, also the game has simplified chinese subs.

Yep... Presenting the old info to manufacture a controversy ;(

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Are they at least paying in exposure? Skilled freelancers can live for weeks and weeks from a decent amount of exposure.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
Are they at least paying in exposure? Skilled freelancers can live for weeks and weeks from a decent amount of exposure.
Eh... Real life doesn't work like that. I just tried buying a house with my exposure bucks, but they just kicked me out. I thought it was just fancy restaurants that don't take exposure bucks, turn out quite a few places don't. I don't know why they think exposure bucks isn't good enough for their work when it's good enough for mine!

Please show a list of merchants that take exposure bucks if you're going to make a claim like that. We don't want any aspiring freelancers getting the wrong idea.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Pretty common for Indies to do this sort of thing, and that post was made before the game released wasn't it? (i.e before they made it big)

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to figure out if "Two Minutes of Hate" is comparing criticism of unpaid labour to novel about totalitarianism.

Because on the one hand, I get a small studio trying to get as much as they can out of on goodwill because they don't have the resources to do everything they want to do, on the other hand, come on man.

On the upside(?), this is probably not as bad as the fanbase full of Nazis thing.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Please show a list of merchants that take exposure bucks if you're going to make a claim like that. We don't want any aspiring freelancers getting the wrong idea.
I will, but first I must know if those freelancers are actually exposed enough.
So any aspiring web designer reading this, just help me design this website I have in mind (I'll tell people you made it, of course) , and I'll get you that list right away. Eventually.

Oct 27, 2017
Even if the game bombed, how can you expect people to do work for you for free -- knowing their work will help you sell the game in the future -- and then profit off it?

Because they might be fans who already kickstart/support the game?

Have you not read any of the forums, like this one, where the players will consistently give feedback, suggestions and bug reports free of charge?

Oct 29, 2017
Because they might be fans who already kickstart/support the game?

Have you not read any of the forums, like this one, where the players will consistently give feedback, suggestions and bug reports free of charge?
The roles fans/Kickstarters play are different from the roles of people who are effectively contracted to do work for Triternion.

Giving bug reports to a developer is no different than a customer reporting a problem with their product. I'm not entitled to get paid wages for finding these bugs, because my role is different from that of a QA tester, who *should* be paid if they're working in an official capacity for Triternion.

Besides, how fucked up would it be for *me* to back the game with my money, and in exchange Triternion makes me do their work for them?!

Last edited:

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
A name in the credits, huh? That's really something. People deserve to be paid and paid well for skilled work - I'll never not be infuriated by this kind of thing.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
You can interpret this however you want to make it seem fine or bad. You can view it as they are trying to expand their potential consumer base while avoiding paying their workers fairly. You could also view it as they aren't willing to look for and hire translators, but know that the community wants to have translations so if somebody wants to help for no pay, then they can.
You just said the same thing in two different ways lol

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Lol.

Kinda reminds me of this story from last month.

influencerone-IRUoOQ.jpg

The best bit is they will offer a discount on your product. Not, oh they'll get you sales at full price. No, they'll offer discounts for something they don't own.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I see it happen all the time in non-commercial software, mods, open source projects, etc.

Not with a paid game.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Reading through this twitter account is depressing and makes me irrationally angry.

Same, I couldn't stop scrolling. The number of people flipping their lid at $20 rate is mind blowing. My wife is a professional artist and if they saw her commission rates (not that she opens commissions very often) they'd faint.

wakuboys

Banned
Jun 27, 2019
There is a big difference between an optional mod you make, and something they NEED to have done to actually market this product in another country. If nobody did this for free, they WOULD go find someone to pay to do it because it's actual work that needs to be done. That's scummy as shit.

So it is scummy to ask for volunteers because... They need to do it + They are willing to pay someone to do it

But what if they only want to do it and they are not willing to spend time and resources on hiring a localization team? Considering game dev frequently has situations where devs don't have the time and/or resources to doing everything they want and have to make concessions, perhaps in this case they put hiring a localization team low enough on the priority list to warrant asking their fans to volunteer their help. It also seems very likely they decided to go this route before their success. Though, even beyond their initial successes, the fate of their studio still relies on them being efficient game developers. They may have some money to throw around, but we don't know their financial situation or their full post-release plan and it is entirely possible they consider hiring a localization team to be low priority, possibly to due to a combination of willing volunteers and believing most of their potential audience are English speakers (i.e. a localization team may not be a good investment).