• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a guy on their forums named "Donald Trump" and he has the tag "God Emperor." Is that a mod appointed tag?

EDIT: Apparently he pledged $10,000 on the kickstarter for the "God Emperor" tag.

Yeah, not hard to tell which way these devs lean.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
As long as that thread is still titled the way it is and they allow the stuff that is said on their forums.. then they are full of shit.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
There's a guy on their forums named "Donald Trump" and he has the tag "God Emperor." Is that a mod appointed tag? If it is, it's not hard to tell what's going on here.

EDIT: Apparently he pledged $10,000 on the kickstarter for the "God Emperor" tag.

Yeah, not hard to tell which way these devs lean.

1de.gif

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
User warned: thread whining, attempting to shut down discussion
Can we finally stop talking about this now? That was a solid response that pretty much puts a bow on everything.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
Except it doesn't address anything regarding racism or their largest thread on the steam forums having a racial slur in the fucking title, but yeah bow on everything we're all good.
In regards to community toxicity, we do not have prior experience managing communities of this size, nor the manpower or resources that established studious can leverage. Our team consists of 11 first-time developers working remotely and volunteer moderators who try their best to curb this toxicity and behavior across all platforms, including in-game. At the moment we are stretched thin with major important content additions and unfortunately we do not have the staff nor systems in-place to moderate everything to our intended level of standards. We plan on improving in this regard.

It does address it. I agree that the post should be down by now, but sometimes things take time. I'd like to not blindly damn the devs, it can be very tough to manage a community. They should do a better job, and sounds like they are working on it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
So while it seems that they were misrepresented and I understand how they might be upset by that, I feel that "we weren't going to let players remove non-white people, we were going to let them remove women" is not the type of point you want to drag out to any length in your public statement.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
In regards to community toxicity, we do not have prior experience managing communities of this size, nor the manpower or resources that established studious can leverage. Our team consists of 11 first-time developers working remotely and volunteer moderators who try their best to curb this toxicity and behavior across all platforms, including in-game. At the moment we are stretched thin with major important content additions and unfortunately we do not have the staff nor systems in-place to moderate everything to our intended level of standards. We plan on improving in this regard.

It does address it. I agree that the post should be down by now, but sometimes things take time. I'd like to not blindly damn the devs, it can be very tough to manage a community. They should do a better job, and sounds like they are working on it.

Are you saying changing a thread title requires a full dedicated team?

The thread was started in 2017 during the alpha.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The racist post should have been removed BEFORE they issued this response. It would indicate an effort to combat this shit.

If they need help with a query:
  1. SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0;
  2. DELETE FROM thread WHERE id = racistshitforumpostid;
  3. SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=1;
  4. Prove they want this shit to change.
Don't forget the blatant racism and homophobia within the thread itself. It's not just the title.

There was no ambiguity in their support for that garbage.

Agreed.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You wouldn't think that it would be difficult to keep a team of 11 in sync on future update contents

And for the moderation stuff, actions speak louder than words

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Can we finally stop talking about this now? That was a solid response that pretty much puts a bow on everything.

Not when their own comm forum completely contradicts the statement.

When you do a response like this, it's always good to have proof that you mean what you say. They have the complete opposite of that right now.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Wait, so PCGamer spoke to some artists and not Triterion PR or someone in charge of communication?

Yyyesh, 11 developers? Welp, that's extremely low when your game is a million seller, i don't want to be in their position.
Ya I couldn't imagine only 11 people for a multiplayer only smash hit. Hopefully they hire on some more PR and community managers stat. How many poeple were on the pupg team when that blew up do we know??

fossen

May 31, 2018
dog. one of the oldest threads is "Post your kniggas" it doesn't take a team to pull that shit down. fuck these guys.
Boom. That's it. This doesn't require that much. If your volunteer moderators can't notice the biggest thread on the forums ... get new moderators.

Unless, of course, you have ended up with exactly the community you and your mods have grown.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I thought they did have a PR guy though. JaxPC on twitch.

So either huge mishandling of their stance, or they are just backtracking.

I'm cynical so I'm going for the latter.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I regret buying this game when it released.

Boom. That's it. This doesn't require that much. If your volunteer moderators can't notice the biggest thread on the forums ... get new moderators.

Unless, of course, you have ended up with exactly the community you and your mods have grown.
I don't think this is a case of them not noticing...

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
This makes me sad. These guys worked their butts off making a great game. I imagine coordinating message in a loosely defined company is very hard. The rabid racism in the forums is disgusting and to be expected with no mods. They should fix that, it's going to define the brand very fast. The neo-nazis love anything medieval.

But honest question, does disliking the idea of playable female characters in a hack-and-slash battlefield game make someone a sexist pig? I'm not so sure. There are real battles to fight over gender equality and representation. Confuses me when I see commenters go all in on playable characters. The Battlefield V nonsense felt different from this. I could sympathize with someone who thought female characters in Mordhau would be weird. Have you played the game? How would they do the voice emotes?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
This makes me sad. These guys worked their butts off making a great game. I imagine coordinating message in a loosely defined company is very hard. The rabid racism in the forums is disgusting and to be expected with no mods. They should fix that, it's going to define the brand very fast. The neo-nazis love anything medieval.

But honest question, does disliking the idea of playable female characters in a hack-and-slash battlefield game make someone a sexist pig? I'm not so sure. There are real battles to fight over gender equality and representation. Confuses me when I see commenters go all in on playable characters. The Battlefield V nonsense felt different from this. I could sympathize with someone who thought female characters in Mordhau would be weird. Have you played the game? How would they do the voice emotes?
Is this a "can someone think of the poor women" post? Because fuck that noise.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
You know... if I was developing a game and the player base was aggressively racist and misogynistic, I would make it a pretty big fucking priority to get that shit sorted. The fact that they haven't done the bare minimum is pretty telling. The truth is, they don't want to lose their sizable, racist playerbase. Which, functionally, means that their official position is to tolerate racism. Which is tantamount to having a pro racism policy.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Evil journalists don't understand and are fast to attack us: Check
Naive peons who should never have talked to anyone: Check
We are as mall team and don't want to crunch. Don't make us crunch: Half a check
Absolutely no change on some of the highest profile problems: Check

About what I expected

And as this site is a complete echo chamber on topics like this, I checked reddit: The previous /r/games thread on the topic was surprisingly positive in the sense of "What the fucking shit is wrong with these devs?"

The new one on the statement is young, but a lot closer to what I expected. People asking for change downvoted until they are hidden. And the top post basically saying "Just hide the chat. I don't get why people are angry"

So it is early hour, but sounds like a Mission Accomplished for Triterion. Ugh.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to community toxicity, we do not have prior experience managing communities of this size, nor the manpower or resources that established studious can leverage.
Fuck them. It doesn't take a village to forbid bigotry in their community and it certainly doesn't take one to edit that fucking awful thread title.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Their aggressively defensive statements really scream "I'm not a racist and not a misogynist"

If their forum is a cesspool, just close the forum until they behave. How hard is that? You don't need a forum outside of technical discussions anyway. There's already a lot of communities.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Fuck them. It doesn't take a village to forbid bigotry in their community and it certainly doesn't take one to edit that fucking awful thread title.
Yup. It's very quick to lock and rename a thread, what nonsense...
It's also easy to ban people. Take 10 minutes, go through some posts and hit that button.
But that requires them to have stance against racism and sexism, but that does not seem to be the case.

Azar

Oct 25, 2017
SFCA
Every third screenshot on the Steam forums is of someone making Mario in the character creator. Protestations of realism and historical accuracy have always been and always will be just cover.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
That explains why so many people got warned today on the Discord server. From how their mods act there, it seems they are begrudgingly trying to curb racism.

9FpBIVI.png

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Put a chat filter.
Don't remove the ability to play with women/non-white characters.
Set a goddamn standard that this shit won't be tolerated.

It didn't kill Rainbow 6. And it won't destroy the community... if anything it will BRING PEOPLE BACK.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i guess it was just a small indie dev slip up when they said that the author for pc gamer was lying