• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
A waitress who was fired after refusing to serve transphobic customers at a Wisconsin restaurant on Saturday said she has no regrets about putting "morals over money."

During her shift at Fat Joe's Bar and Grill in the town of Fond du Lac, Brittany Spencer overheard a couple making insulting comments about a transgender customer sitting at the bar. As she served the customers, they turned to her to ask what she thought about the trans patron.

"They were asking me if I thought it was disgusting and wrong and why we would let someone like that into the establishment," Spencer told NBC 26, NBC News' Green Bay affiliate. "To which I answered, 'No, I do not agree with that,' and walked away."

Spencer said she asked her manager if another employee could serve the table, because she was uncomfortable, but her manager said no.

"She essentially told me to suck it up or go home," Spencer told NBC 26. "To which I said, 'OK, I will leave.'"

Tad Wallender, one of the co-owners of Fat Joe's, told NBC 26 that the restaurant serves all customers and that Spencer was fired for "refusing to do the duty we hired her for."

"We are going to serve anyone in here as long as it's a safe environment," Wallender said. "I've been in the service industry for a good 15 years, and I've heard hundreds of conversations I didn't agree with, but it's a matter of fact of brushing it off and having to tough it out through your task."

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What vile people they are, the customers and the owner for his "safe environment" nonsense. Fuck off. She did the right thing.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
hypocritical horseshit from the restaurant

you had one group of patrons literally demeaning another group

fuck outta here

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
They not only were assholes but were also harassing a paying customer? Dear god

For the waitress, that is an awesome way to be an ally

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The hero we don't deserve. Fuck transphobes.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good on her. Whatever rating the restaurant had on Yelp is gonna be toast. lol

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
When I first heard about this story (live in the area), I thought it'd be something more explosive from the waitress, but she calmly just asked her manager if someone else could take them and didn't make a scene. The manager/establishment fucking sucks here. Send someone else over or realistically go over yourself and take care of it.

Vio-lence

Banned
Oct 15, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing Transphobia; Account in Junior Phase
"Its okay if they discriminate against people I don't like"
it's a 2-way street people. shit like this is gonna happen.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The establishment did not respond to NBC News' request for comment, but Tad Wallender, one of the co-owners of Fat Joe's, told NBC 26 that the restaurant serves all customers and that Spencer was fired for "refusing to do the duty we hired her for."

"We are going to serve anyone in here as long as it's a safe environment," Wallender said. "I've been in the service industry for a good 15 years, and I've heard hundreds of conversations I didn't agree with, but it's a matter of fact of brushing it off and having to tough it out through your task."
Sounds like Ted Wallender can go fuck themself.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gotta love the bullshit double standards fuck faces do. "Save envrionment" as customers openly call other customers "fifth" to employees.

That's not a conversation, that's people targeting your other customers.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
"Its okay if they discriminate against people I don't like"
it's a 2-way street people. shit like this is gonna happen.

She was asking the manager if someone else could serve them instead of her because she was uncomfortable and was told to serve them or go home. That's not discrimination.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the owner would feel the same way if they were serving the customers and they ended every order request with "now go get it you fat honky fuck." They aren't threatening just demeaning so I guess they would suck it up.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

There's a difference between overhearing a shitty conversation, which obviously is going to be all too fucking common with a restaurant and actively involving someone. These people were actively involving her in something she was not comfortable with. Now she can either answer in a way that she's comfortable and piss them off for the company or do what she did and ask that someone else take them. The manager should have just gone and done it. This way if they involve the manager in said conversation they have the power to deal with it as diplomatically and officially as the business wants.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Good for her. Those assholes shouldn't even be allowed to dine in the restaurant.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Good on her. Whatever rating the restaurant had on Yelp is gonna be toast. lol

There's already a (5 star) Google review specifically naming Brittany as being "unprofessional" and how they like the restaurant and food, but if they see her they would just leave right away.

The snowflakes are getting nervous.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She gave the manager an easy out. When I was a server I asked more than a few times to ask to not serve someone and to give it to another waiter, whether it be because I was swamped or I just didn't like the people. They had no problem with it.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I go to work in Fond du lac.

Someone mentioned to me about this story yesterday at work. Good on her for doing the right thing. Hope she can get another job fast.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
"They were asking me if I thought it was disgusting and wrong and why we would let someone like that into the establishment," Spencer told NBC 26, NBC News' Green Bay affiliate. "To which I answered, 'No, I do not agree with that,' and walked away."

Spencer said she asked her manager if another employee could serve the table, because she was uncomfortable, but her manager said no.

I wanted to quote this part again.

She didn't ask them to leave, she didn't refuse service and she didn't make a scene. She said she felt uncomfortable being dragged into someone else's bigotry and was told to suck it up.

Please keep that in mind before posting a hot take.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's more than one, they're just trying to figure out sneaky ways of saying it to not get banned for it.

Predictable and boring. They won't come back to this thread, or if they do, they'll respond to one person lashing out and say "I expressed my opinions in a civil manner, how dare you speak to me in this way etc." They'll claim to be the victim of dogpiling, never back up their original statement, and disappear into the night.

Hey asshole - bigotry does not make a safe environment. Also, I'm getting a headache at bigotry and harassment getting swept under the rug as 'conversations I didn't agree with'. Seriously stop.