• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You're eligible go for it. I was in the initial phase 1b but didnt take it until last week since I felt the same way as you. Kinda regret not getting it earlier.

EDIT: Also wanted to mention as a fellow NYer that I ran into tons of sites that cater only to the elderly that had vaccines readily available if that reassures you any bit

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You getting the shot helps other people too. Everyone who can get the shot needs to get it, if you're eligible it's your turn.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
source.gif

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
If you can get it, get it. Unless you literally hoodwinked someone into taking their spot, there should be no ethical dilemma in taking the vaccine if it is offered to you via a legitimate source of distribution.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I'm kinda dreading the opposite scenario, where millions of doses get chucked because half the country won't take them. Supply is really going to pick up in States in the next few months, in a major way. Hopefully there's a contingency plan to export them.

If you want to assuage some guilt, go on social media and let everyone know that you took the vaccine and it's safe and effective.

OP
OP
jetpacks was yes
Oct 25, 2017
It's laudable to be concerned about the other populations and support programs that focus on delivering doses in those areas. However, once the decision is made on vaccine distribution method you individually waiting won't impact the overall strategy. NPR did a story on the ethics of vaccine distribution, you are in the clear with their expert.

The good news is that most states had roving crews take doses to long term care facilities. The not so good news is that states are running into the usual hurdles with social service distribution (internet access and ability to navigate online sites being the biggest issue). Until there is enough supply to support walk in vaccinations I fear that those issues are intractable.

Ah very interesting, thanks for the info

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
The whole point of the vaccine is to ensure herd immunity. If you are out in the public a lot because of work or other necessary activities, there is nothing morally wrong with you getting it early. You are protecting yourself and other people by getting it.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The slowly expanding list of who can get the vaccine is based on what it will take to have the most orderly and effective rollout, but I don't think you need to treat it as some kind of moral imperative. If you can get the vaccine, you should get it. Even if you're slightly skirting the rules that are in place, there's a good case to be made for taking the shot.

The vaccine is a preventative measure -- it's not a cure for anyone already sick. It's not the same as taking an organ from someone that needs it, or stealing someone's chemotherapy drugs. The theoretical person who doesn't get the dose you had could go on with their normal life and never get COVID. If you refuse to get vaccinated and then get infected and infect someone else, is their life on the line because of you? There's really no right answer.

I have a young co-worker that was able to get vaccinated early-on because the place giving out the shots wasn't really paying much attention to the rules -- I don't hold it against her. She has a public-facing job that she goes to everyday and the potential for her to spread it to others is pretty high. If anything, you ought to at consider how likely you are to spread infection more than the fate of the one person who misses out because you got yours early. If you largely work from home and only make short trips for groceries and essentials then you can probably wait. If you have to go out a lot and work in close quarters with co-workers, then maybe it's time to get stabbed. If you only want it so you can return to dining out and going to nightclubs or sporting events, then suck it up and be more patient.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
If you're eligible you're eligible. Better that dose goes in an arm than in the trash.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Don't overthink this. If you are eligible, you are eligible. Even if you aren't, the greater the # of people to get vaccinated the better.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
You are eligible go for it. You're not like the yahoos that flew to an indigenous community and posed as essential workers to get the vaccine

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think it's the responsibility of the people coordinating the vaccine rollout to make sure the right people are getting it first. All you can do is apply for it and let them make the decision. It's not on you and I think any person getting the vaccine is a good thing in the long run.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you have underlying conditions and you are in an applicable group, please get vaccinated and don't feel guilty!

I'm also in NYC and the amount of young/healthy people that are lying on their vaccine application is astounding and gross. Screw them. I can wait a few more months.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's only morally wrong if you're cutting the line in some way. If you're up on the list, take the shot.

If you're really worried, ask the clinic about it, and maybe they could save you for last or something, so that they give you doses that might go to waste at the end of the day anyway.

OP
OP
jetpacks was yes
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just felt bad because all of my conditions are because I'm fat (and I'm fat from severe depression). I'm working on it, I'm losing weight, but it takes time.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
you are eligible, I dont see a problem. My brother works for a large hospital chain, and said he could get me one right now if I wanted. Im not even close to being eligible, so I said I could just wait. Your situation seems fine to get one now.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Oh another argument for why it's *more morally good to get it as soon as you can* is that the more people innoculated as soon as possible the less chance there is for new variants and mutations. Mutations and variants typically happen quicker when pandemics are out of control, more replication, more mistakes, more mutations, more variants. By taking someone out of the risk of infection you're cutting down on an opportunity for the virus to mutate into something more dangerous, which could kill more people or develop some resistance to the approved vaccines.

That was the topic of the Podcast-19 episode from 538 this week.

So if you qualify and can get the vaccine -- get it! You'll be making everyone safer.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'd be more worried if I was qualified to get the shot and didn't and became a vector that spread the illness that got someone really sick or killed someone. If you're qualified, youre qualified.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just felt bad because all of my conditions are because I'm fat (and I'm fat from severe depression). I'm working on it, I'm losing weight, but it takes time.

Try not to sweat it.

And remember, you don't feel bad because you're fat. You feel bad because of the depression, being overweight and having guilt about your vaccine eligibility are affects of the same mental health challenge -- depression.

If you're eligible and can get the jab, then you're doing everybody else a favor by getting it. It's minor, sure just one person, but once you get vaccinated that means less chance for viral mutation, less chance for you to pass it onto someone else, less chance to require a hospital bed, and of course less a chance that you get sick so you can continue contributing good content and stoking good discussion! A win, win, win, win đź‘Ť

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm in NYC where as of Feb 15th they just opened up eligibility to those with certain underlying conditions, of which I have one.

I want to get the vaccine, but because of the supply issues I'm wondering if I'm being selfish and potentially taking a vaccine away from an elderly person, or someone who could benefit from it even more than me.

I have a four year old and I'm a divorced dad, so I really want to make sure I don't get sick for his sake, but I have also been super careful this past year and can maybe wait a few more weeks until supply improves. So I dunno, what would any of you do in my shoes?

I live in NYC, and I have an underlying condition and I just got my first shot at the Javits center and I go back for my 2nd shot on March 14th, and I am so happy I did! I can not wait to be fully vaccinated!

Someone in your situation who has an underlying condition like me, who also has a kid to worry about it... Dude, you better get your appointment!!!

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Just get the vaccine ASAP. You were made aware that you are eligible for the vaccine and it's not your responsibility to handle the logistics of vaccine distribution on a macro or micro level. Sign up. Get your shot(s). Enjoy the protection from COVID.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
In large scale systems like this where we need everyone getting vaccinated in as orderly and efficient a way as possible, this is a perfectly moral thing to do. Like, if you're driving and you've got a green light, would it be moral to stop to let a driver in the crossing intersection go? That seems like a nice thing to do, but driving requires orderly efficiency to work properly. If everyone hesitated to let others in even though they've got the green light, traffic would be a shambles. You've got the green light, you drive. That's the moral choice.

Same here. You're being given the green light to get vaccinated. That means it's your turn and it's a responsible and moral decision to get it done. No need to hesitate or worry. If everyone was hesitating the rollout would take a lot longer. You will be contributing to stopping the spread of covid. Have faith that the powers that have planned the rollout know what they're doing. If you do, there's no reason to wait. Society wants you to get vaccinated now.

Status
Not open for further replies.