• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I noticed is that the gold gain is through the roof. I finished the second dungeon and already unlocked all town NPCs and all shop acessories, and I have more money than ways to use it, making the Banker useless.

I wish there were either way more things to spend money on, or that upgrades were more expensive/your items were sold at a cheaper price.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
The bed is insanely good to upgrade. Free 3 hit shield and 250 armor at max rank.

Agree that it's very easy to buy everything though. The gold gain is nuts. Just an hour into dungeon 2 and I have everything but the final shop upgrade.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Finished the game and really loved it personally. The game was super charming and I found the dungeon difficulty just right. First game with rogue elements I genuinely enjoyed from start to finish. I'm just hoping
there's a lot more content planned down the line as I feel there's a lot more that could have been added. It doesn't seem like there's anything at all to do after you beat the final boss. My only disappointment.

kiich

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jan 2, 2018
This game might have The most useful bow in gaming. Does a lot of damage and the charged shots go through barriers and enemies.

Please use the bow.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Still not a huge fan the basic guesswork of trying to sell a new item especially when your journal sometimes doesn't update with a price it sold at. I really wish there was a backpack upgrade, it feels like your bag fills up before you start making actual progress... since the Sale Box seems useless might as well replace that with a backpack upgrade. Also, the thieves seem like a really pointless mechanic. They aren't hard to deal with, just annoying since you have to manually go back and put the item back on the shelf.

Overall I think the game is alright but it feels like its lacking in some spots.

How do you equip gloves?

They're a weapon.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a weird screen issue in that the game is expanded beyond my tv's resolution. I tried resetting in the PS4 settings but nothing is working. This is the only game that this has happened with. Any ideas?

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Oh nice there is an OT for this game :D. Such an amazing game and I'm so proud to have kickstarted it. This could be a contender for my personal GOTY. It's SO good and addicting! "Just one more dungeon run" almost always turns into more, lol.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
yo been playing for about an hour, early impressions pretty positive (aside from the combat which I don't think is reactive enough but I'm going at it with completely base-level equipment)

got stuck for a while trying to raise the Gs for the base shops before realising hey you can really sell stuff for MUCHO GOLD

I feel like the game has a decent instructions for like about 20 minutes and then shows you the town board and goes "HAVE AT IT" lol

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
the soundtrack is great, i'm having fun so far!
Although it can get challenging, i'm playing on the hardest difficulty but once you learn to maneuver yourself, it gets easier.

Falconhoof

Oct 30, 2017
Does this have a point of no return?

I want to go and fight the final boss but not if I can't come back afterwards and mop up everything left to do.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does this have a point of no return?

I want to go and fight the final boss but not if I can't come back afterwards and mop up everything left to do.

You can't enter the final dungeon again after beating the game, but you can enter the other 4 and talk with NPCs (with new dialogue referencing the ending) and all that.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game and really loved it personally. The game was super charming and I found the dungeon difficulty just right. First game with rogue elements I genuinely enjoyed from start to finish. I'm just hoping
there's a lot more content planned down the line as I feel there's a lot more that could have been added. It doesn't seem like there's anything at all to do after you beat the final boss. My only disappointment.

Trying to clear some backlog before picking it up. Is there some good endgame stuff/ reason to keep playing? I enjoy the gameplay loop of Isaac and other "rougelites" but if I am picking one after beating a game I normally just go back to Isaac.

I figured it was a 10-15 hour game but one of the reviews mentioned they where well past the 40 hour mark which threw me for a loop.

kiich

Jan 2, 2018
Trying to clear some backlog before picking it up. Is there some good endgame stuff/ reason to keep playing? I enjoy the gameplay loop of Isaac and other "rougelites" but if I am picking one after beating a game I normally just go back to Isaac.

I figured it was a 10-15 hour game but one of the reviews mentioned they where well past the 40 hour mark which threw me for a loop.
I haven't finished the game yet, but from what I've heard once you finish the game it is done. The developers said in the steam forums that they are studying ways to give the player more stuff to do after beating the last dungeon.

I was in the second dungeon when I found the boss. I wanted to see how well I'd fare against him and ended up beating it first try. Now I don't know if I should just go to the third dungeon or keep getting upgrade items from the second.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't finished the game yet, but from what I've heard once you finish the game it is done. The developers said in the steam forums that they are studying ways to give the player more stuff to do after beating the last dungeon.

I was in the second dungeon when I found the boss. I wanted to see how well I'd fare against him and ended up beating it first try. Now I don't know if I should just go to the third dungeon or keep getting upgrade items from the second.

Good to know, thank you! Maybe that reviewer was taking their sweet time. Definetly picking up this game once I clear a few more games that have been collecting dust.

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Played yesterday for a few hours (first boot up), wanted to play right now and the game just refuses to load. After the intro\dev logos I just get a black screen with "loading..." in the bottom middle (plus the green animated loading thingy).

PS4 Pro. Tried restarting etc yadda yadda, nothing works.

I'm a tiny little bit annoyed..

Barm

Jan 23, 2018
I'm having a weird screen issue in that the game is expanded beyond my tv's resolution. I tried resetting in the PS4 settings but nothing is working. This is the only game that this has happened with. Any ideas?
Have you tried setting your TV's picture size to just scan or direct or whatever its called on your tv?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how the pendant works. I need to use it it leave the dungeon right? It seems to take some arbitrary amount of gold from me when I use it. Is there a way to prevent that?

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how the pendant works. I need to use it it leave the dungeon right? It seems to take some arbitrary amount of gold from me when I use it. Is there a way to prevent that?

It's not arbitrary, the value is based on which dungeon you're in, and its level. But I don't think it ever goes above 15k even in the final dungeon, and by that point you're making hundreds of thousands/millions so it's not a big deal.

---

The devs released a patch today fixing some bugs and adding key remapping. Still no mention of which features they would add to the game.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dont forget when your bag is full, use the mirror to liquidate everything else you find in chests after replacing the crap from floor one :) You can earn a good few thousand from that rather than leaving things behind.

Also, when pricing, check the guide and see where the item is on the list. The top item will be usually in the boss room, but it tells you the max you can get for it (eg the forest level is 5k for top item). This helps a lot as you start filling in the blanks.

Both probably obvious tips but hey thought i would share. Love the game.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Dont forget when your bag is full, use the mirror to liquidate everything else you find in chests after replacing the crap from floor one :) You can earn a good few thousand from that rather than leaving things behind.

Also, when pricing, check the guide and see where the item is on the list. The top item will be usually in the boss room, but it tells you the max you can get for it (eg the forest level is 5k for top item). This helps a lot as you start filling in the blanks.

Both probably obvious tips but hey thought i would share. Love the game.

Yeah, I've been slowly figuring stuff out. I've bought all the town vendors and upgraded my weapons.

One thing I wish it had was being able to see how many if something you own total from any screen. Also, being able to sort bags by type/name/value etc.

Other than that it is really good so far.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i'm honestly impressed with this game a lot

kiich

Jan 2, 2018
This tip about the book and pricing is so good. I wish I knew it before! I sold the first dungeon boss item super cheap because I didn't knew how much I could make from it....

Just hit the 4th dungeon! I think I'll try to give a push and finish this game today. After 15+ hours with it I can say that I really dislike some things about the game, it could've been so much more. And the way the devs are talking in the Steam forums it seems like a bunch of stuff might be coming later. Folks that are waiting for the Switch version will probably play the best version of this game. But it is already pretty good as it is right now.

Edit: I don't dislike the game now thinking more about it, is that it feels like they had a bunch of ideas and couldn't put it in the game and I can see it reflected in the game like more use of the callendar with village events and stuff like this and it makes me sad.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
finished the game.... The beginning was great, going to the dungeon, selling, upgrading.... And the 2D is beautiful

Unfortunately you quickly end up super rich, having everything already, and the dungeons only change looks, they're basically all the same... would have loved to see new traps, ideas or secrets...
The way you explore and fight is always the same too, sure you get different weapons but you're not encouraged to use them all, the lance pretty much make all other weapons useless

I excepted a new, longer, harder dungeon, but instead it was just an easy boss fight

In the end the game is pretty short, especially for a rogue-like... the game except you to spend days and days in there (like the banker making you wait like 6 days), but you really don't need them

it's not a bad game, just a bit disappointing

Last edited:

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried setting your TV's picture size to just scan or direct or whatever its called on your tv?

I have an old Sanyo and there's nothing to change in terms of picture size. This is super weird since it's never happened with every other system I've hooked up or game I've played. The game is playable but I can only see the last three digits of my currency so I have no idea how much I have.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Really suprised at the lack of posts in here.

Wasn't aware of this game until it popped up on PSN. I was going to hold off until it went on sale but my impulsiveness got the best of me.

Only played for a half hour or so this morning and I like it. Can't wait to really dig into it tonight.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you don't click sell when someone comes to the register, will they just walk out with your item without paying? I could swear that happened to me.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I'm making about 4k per run but only get through the first 2 floors of the first dungeon before I am low on health. Is this normal in terms of money gain when I sell my loot?

Also I'm keeping any items that I need for crafting down the line by adding stuff to wish list. Not even sure I need them but I'll never upgrade anything if I sell everything.

joghia

Nov 3, 2017
Anybody know what's happening with the physical version? I had June 12th as the date in my calendar and now EBGames says July 31st...pre ordered physical and really want to start it soon.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Giant Bomb Quick Look sold me on this game. How is the longevity and does it keep you wanting more?

kiich

Jan 2, 2018
The Giant Bomb Quick Look sold me on this game. How is the longevity and does it keep you wanting more?
Took me 21 hours to beat the game and it didn't got me bored for a minute. The way the dungeon exploring and the market management are done makes you jump from one to other before getting tired of doing the same thing. After finishing the game you won't have much to do except grind to get all of the equipment, but you'll have nothing to use them on really.

...but it seems like things will be changing!

The developers posted on the Steam Forums the roadmap for new updates.

Bunch of cool stuff as:

• New game +
  • New group of items
  • Familiars
  • Custom game mode
  • Mini bosses
I'd recommend taking a look at the post to get a idea of how much stuff this game will be getting in updates. Like I said before, people who are waiting for the Switch release probably will be playing the best version of Moonlighter out there. I loved the game and enjoy the after-release support, but many of this stuff should be on the release and makes me sad that I played without them (even though I loved the game!). But, good for those who waited to play this later I guess.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
I like the gameplay, but on a launch PS4 it's so goddamn buggy that it hurts:

and slight spoilers in the second one:

The game doesn't look all that demanding so the performance in the first clip is mindblowing. Hopefully they end up getting their shit together.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This game has been really disappointing. The concept and art are great and I like the shop aspect but the combat is god awful. 4 way directional combat in a top down 8 direction game is a horrible idea and these kinds of games are make or break when it comes down to the core gameplay which is a really bad version of Binding of Isaac (which I didn't like either).

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Just played through this on Switch, took me about 5 hours I think,(two sittings, but I can't see the time on Switch until a week goes by) and it was terribly disappointing. I loved the game play loop of dungeon crawling then coming back to sell to the town, but overall this game is far to light on content for $25. Grossly over priced for what it's worth. Nice graphics, game play is decent enough. Very little variety in stats and weapon choices, very little options in upgrades. It was also highly repetitive without much variety in procedural generation. I basically took one armor route, the speed one, and the Spear, which is SO overpowered due to it's range + attack speed, and it made everything a cake walk. This felt like such a one and done game I'll never return to unless a lot more is added which is a shame because it's a cool idea. If it's ever $10 it'll be far more worth it imo. Oh well. Maybe they'll add more to it eventually.

Last edited:

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing this on the Switch tonight and spent the first couple hours selling everything for around 120 - 130 thinking I was just testing the waters, but not wanting to push my luck too much. Turns out after looking at a quick beginners guide that I could have been selling a lot of those items for 1500 - 2000

*slaps forehead*

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I found the trick is not to not sell batches if you don't know the sweet spot. List one for whatever price and just watch. Then next one up it or down it depending til you get the emote for just right.

Oct 2, 2018
funny. I hope both Spiderman and RDR2 but have played neither.

Bought this the other day and I'm now on forest world. Fun game - well worth the money I paid for it (its on sale on PSN). Nice graphics and has a good rhythm to the game with the shop + dungeon play.

Buy this if you think it looks like your jam. Its quite fun.

Oct 2, 2018
I found the trick is not to not sell batches if you don't know the sweet spot. List one for whatever price and just watch. Then next one up it or down it depending til you get the emote for just right.

yeah that's the strategy. They also hint at the price (60) (1000+) in the names section. you can maybe guess where the price is - depends on the depth of the dungeon and where it comes from = how much they cost.

Oct 2, 2018
Finished. Took me about 2-3 days

Final Score: 6.6/10 ish

I think that's a good score for it. The gameplay loop is pretty basic, go to dungeons, hunt stuff, upgrade store/character.

Its a fun game but mechanically, it didnt change too much with the selling and the dungeon. The game selling mechanics and shop mechanics... there's a bit too much of that silly guess the price thing which isn't really that interesting or fun - maybe if they allowed you to build shit to sell for more $ (eg, combine items to make a better item). Dungeons also dont change too much with no mechanics added in to make the game more diverse like slippery ice floors or what have you.

methodology:

collect stuff from level 2,3 of dungeon to sell. Level 2+3 items would make it worthwhile to teleport out.
Use escape amulet. Get best weapon/armour + enchant. Buy potions, fight boss.

Boss fights aren't super hard and I managed to beat them all 1st go.

Repeat til the end.

I liked it and it was fun if basic. A sequel with more depth would be nice. I feel like I got my moneys worth.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
How is the Switch version? I'm leaning towards Switch for portability,but the PC version is about $10 cheaper.

I just got it - and beat the first boss.

Noticing a lot of frame issues - mosly stuttering. It seemed to get worse the longer i played, so i started to get nervous the game might crash.

That aside, it looks great - and the giccups are worth the portability factor for me (i assume the PC and PS4 versions run better?).

Question for those who got past the first boss - is it ok to sell the books and golem king drawings you get from the boss, or best to hold on to them?

Last edited:

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Got this for Christmas and have been really enjoying it. I don't tend to like rougelikes but the shop mechanic was enough to draw me in. As someone said in the previous posts, being able to craft items together to sell would have added a lot to this game. That's what I want from a sequel.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm going on an indie game spree... but question for anyone that can answer, if I'm a huge Stardew Valley fan, would I enjoy this? How deep are the shop mechanics? Can you really upgrade your shop/town?

Thanks!