• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Wonder if they will partner with Microsoft again or opt to self-publish. A 2D Zelda-like would be great. We don't get enough of those kinds of games.

Oct 26, 2017
It'll be Stadia exclusive! ;)
Seriously though, MS has surely tried to acquire them (rightfully so!) but they've said no so I doubt they'll do another exclusive IP for MS alone. I assume it'll be on Xbox, PC, PS and maybe whatever Nintendo platform that are out when the game is ready.

I don't think MS tried to buy a studio with 80 devs working remotely.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I don't think MS tried to buy a studio with 80 devs working remotely.
Why not?

We had quite a few acquisition offers in the past, but since we're all insanely confident that our unannounced title will become a pretty big thing, it wouldn't have made any sense to even think about that. And I just like the studio being independent. We can't allow ourselves to become complacent. Gotta stay hungry and be able to maneuver fast :)

Oct 26, 2017
Why not?

We had quite a few acquisition offers in the past, but since we're all insanely confident that our unannounced title will become a pretty big thing, it wouldn't have made any sense to even think about that. And I just like the studio being independent. We can't allow ourselves to become complacent. Gotta stay hungry and be able to maneuver fast :)

Because i thought it was kinda hard to manage a studio with nearly 100 devs working from across the globe.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
A running trend from him against console warriors wanting games to be limited to one platform; Thomas has spoken against that clearly on here on multiple occasions. Not to mention convincing MS to bring Ori to Switch.
Yeah. I doubt their next title is an exclusive. At best I expect MS to have it launch on Xbox and PC as a timed exclusive, eventually making its way to other platforms.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
The best part about this game?

It's multiplatform.

This game will be huge. Moon will be the studio to watch next gen.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting from the other thread but whatever the genre I'll be there; pretty curious to see what Moon will do outside of Ori.

Certainly sounds ambitious from the general comments Thomas was saying earlier about it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So are we thinking Ori style graphics for a side scrolling ARPG or something different?

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Oh wow I really thought MS had acquired them in their recent spree.

Well look forward fo whatever they got cooking next if its indeed multiplatform.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Why not?

Will this be a side-scrolling game or not?

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm hoping isometric and not side scrolling but whatever, I know it's going to be good.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't Alexander O. Smith the localizer of Vagrant Story and FFXII a writer for Ori 2? If he writes for this action RPG this is going to be very interesting

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LTTP but Ori has been such a cool experience. I'm on board for anything these developers have in the bag.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Sounds swell, hope they make something great!

Would you guys Ori revolutionise the Metroidvania genre, though? Instead of "merely" being a fucking good game in the genre? It's on my list of games I want to play this holiday, so I haven't experienced it myself yet (only the demo) and can't make a judgment myself. It's just I've never heard anything say anything like that about the game.
No, but hollow knight did.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I will be waiting patiently for the next game......as I wait impatiently for Ori :P

Keep up the great work Moon :D

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Isn't Alexander O. Smith the localizer of Vagrant Story and FFXII a writer for Ori 2? If he writes for this action RPG this is going to be very interesting
Correct. That was the main reason he was hired :) Alex is an unbelievably gifted writer, so I just basically approached him and told him we'll give him the best job he'll ever have and he quit Square after 20+ years of working for them for us.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Correct. That was the main reason he was hired :) Alex is an unbelievably gifted writer, so I just basically approached him and told him we'll give him the best job he'll ever have and he quit Square after 20+ years of working for them for us.
Damn, Ori was such a big success your budget is this big now ;)

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
thomasmahler
Has Warsoup been completely cancelled? I don't know why I remember things from 9 years ago lol

Hey, WARSOUP was a pretty cool thing back then. We put that together at a time where every FPS out there was pretty much just Modern Warfare, so I was glad to see that some other FPS games 'copied' some of the stuff we showed there since. Movement in games should always be fun! Still haven't seen anyone actually tackling the RTSFPS concept we had though (I mean upgrading skills and weapons and resource management during matches, etc.), so... maybe at some point? Definitely not a focus for the studio right now though.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Neat, I remember thomasmahler showing people a prototype for a top-down ARPG/Souls-y game on Gaf some years ago.

Yeah, it was called A&B. Not sure if that was that was included as one of 5 prototypes Moon was talking about at the time (one of which was a WWII project).

OWWaOry.jpg

1PCkZC8.png

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
thomasmahler
Has Warsoup been completely cancelled? I don't know why I remember things from 9 years ago lol

Oh so it is the same studio! I remember when the first ori was announced and I saw it was being made by moon, I was like that's very similar to that studio making that fps/ stratergy game, but then after ori came out I had already forgotten about warsoup completely 😅

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hey, WARSOUP was a pretty cool thing back then. We put that together at a time where every FPS out there was pretty much just Modern Warfare, so I was glad to see that some other FPS games 'copied' some of the stuff we showed there since. Movement in games should always be fun! Still haven't seen anyone actually tackling the RTSFPS concept we had though (I mean upgrading skills and weapons and resource management during matches, etc.), so... maybe at some point? Definitely not a focus for the studio right now though.
Yeah, I still love the movement options, and it still feels fresh.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah they seem to be praising themselves pretty highly, I'm not sure I've seen anyone make a claim that Ori redefined Metroidvanias.

Claiming they'll offer something "far beyond" what has been offered before in a genre with games like Zelda and Dark Souls... pretty bold statement
Agreed. I'm definitely interested to see what they have in store, but that's um, a tad presumptuous IMO.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Neat, I remember thomasmahler showing people a prototype for a top-down ARPG/Souls-y game on Gaf some years ago.
Yeah, it was called A&B. Not sure if that was that was included as one of 5 prototypes Moon was talking about at the time (one of which was a WWII project).

OWWaOry.jpg

1PCkZC8.png

Hah, yeah, I still have that somewhere. It was pretty cool for an early prototype, as I recall. I'm looking forward to seeing what it turned into.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Solid decision on both sides. Wallet is ready for both games.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
Why not?

So when we can expect reveal?
Multplat or with Xbox again?

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Ori is definitely top 5 for this whole generation for me. I loved the art, the pacing and escape sequences. So much heart and so well crafted. I love the focus on movement over combat. I look forward to anything Moon works on in the future. Bless you Thomas Mahler!

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Ori is my favorite looking game of this decade and WotW could very well be my favorite looking game of the next decade, so I hope they keep going for such a striking and sumptuous art style, regardless of what it is.

Nov 23, 2018
Ori is fantastic. I 100% want to play Moon's next game and don't care if it's playable on a toaster as long as I can play on Xbox (only console I own).