• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Just finished. I botched the ending by pressing a thinking there was nothing happening and then the second after I pressed it words I couldn't even read blinked in and out of existence, accepting my input. So I did the rocket sequence and everything twice.

I'm exhausted and heading to bed, but I have a lot of thoughts. I'll say now that this easily would have been one of my favorite games if I'd had it as a kid. If I ever have kids, and despite all the obstacles I do want kids someday, this would be something I'd share with them.

I also laughed when the credits played because when I first heard the song playing earlier my immediate reaction was, "This sounds like a perfect credits song." I did not expect to be right.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
How early/late in the game is it possible to get the Moonlight MoonDisc? I'd love to hear Clair de Lune as much as possible while playing but suspect I won't get my hands on that MD for a while (currently level 15)

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Ok I need some help... but please try to make it more hint like then just giving me the solution.
whats the deal with the windmill house. He kicked me out. I found out he likes certain music from mds and got love , but I don't understand the point of the whispers. I have a rumrom that shows that shows the basement through the hot water but I've tried like everything.

what is the fishing tourney everyone talks about I've explored seemingly the whole map and tried fishing with the fishing man a few times and nothing seems to happen, what am I missing to get this.. if I'm missing something obvious anyways.

is there a rumrom in the kalunte fishing spot? The rumrom showing the game station also shows a rectangle fishable there.

it seems like theres going to be a quest to finish the rocket. Any clues on getting it started, seems like I've talked to everyone in techopolis, and Hager won't talk to me.

firework numbers... is there a rumrom with this info I'm missing?

i have 9 love left and am totally stumped. See qs above if you have gotten through the game

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Alright I've been coasting for a while with great success, but basically:

Electric thingy. Valley of the wind. Where find. What do. Hero has lighting spell? Mega confuse.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Ok I need some help... but please try to make it more hint like then just giving me the solution.
whats the deal with the windmill house. He kicked me out. I found out he likes certain music from mds and got love , but I don't understand the point of the whispers. I have a rumrom that shows that shows the basement through the hot water but I've tried like everything.

what is the fishing tourney everyone talks about I've explored seemingly the whole map and tried fishing with the fishing man a few times and nothing seems to happen, what am I missing to get this.. if I'm missing something obvious anyways.

is there a rumrom in the kalunte fishing spot? The rumrom showing the game station also shows a rectangle fishable there.

it seems like theres going to be a quest to finish the rocket. Any clues on getting it started, seems like I've talked to everyone in techopolis, and Hager won't talk to me.

firework numbers... is there a rumrom with this info I'm missing?

i have 9 love left and am totally stumped. See qs above if you have gotten through the game
  1. This one is part of a long side-quest that you may not have even started yet; don't worry about it for now.
  2. Go to Shellwhale Cove (the Tropical Fields fishing spot) on Solarday. And good luck.
  3. No, there isn't, but there is a rectangular item you'll need to find there in addition to the GameStation.
  4. The game tries to push you towards starting this very early on, but I could understand why people would miss it. At this point it's unlikely that you'll discover it yourself, so i'll just tell you to show Yoshida the King's Card.
  5. Have you been to Tao's Hideout at night?
Do you really only have nine love left? I was under the impression that quite a few events require you to have started work on the rocket, definitely worth more than nine love?

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
  1. This one is part of a long side-quest that you may not have even started yet; don't worry about it for now.
  2. Go to Shellwhale Cove (the Tropical Fields fishing spot) on Solarday. And good luck.
  3. No, there isn't, but there is a rectangular item you'll need to find there in addition to the GameStation.
  4. The game tries to push you towards starting this very early on, but I could understand why people would miss it. At this point it's unlikely that you'll discover it yourself, so i'll just tell you to show Yoshida the King's Card.
  5. Have you been to Tao's Hideout at night?
Do you really only have nine love left? I was under the impression that quite a few events require you to have started work on the rocket, definitely worth more than nine love?
I assumed that level 30 is the end. I guess not!
thanks for the help!!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm a big time doofus. I thought I was 29, was 28. This explains everything . thanks again for the hints!
Ah, that makes a lot more sense, lol. There are multiple events that will only happen after you agree to help with building the rocket. The most important hint I can give is to wait before you hand in the final piece for the rocket. I've posted it a few times here already, but there's a string of missable events that won't happen if you complete it before you do them. They specifically have to do with Clis, at the Wildcat House.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Ah, that makes a lot more sense, lol. There are multiple events that will only happen after you agree to help with building the rocket. The most important hint I can give is to wait before you hand in the final piece for the rocket. I've posted it a few times here already, but there's a string of missable events that won't happen if you complete it before you do them. They specifically have to do with Clis, at the Wildcat House.
lol I just got the kings quest.. so THIS is what I've supposed to been doing this whole time. it's amazing how much of the game I was able to see/explore without actually having the main mission lmao. Also I didn't bother showing yoshida the kings card because I had already shown him other ones and he said the same thing about them. if he had unique responses for the different kingdom inhabitants I would have tried the king. Big time oops.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
I need "a delicacy like caviar", should I have that by now or will I know it when I see it?
If you've solved the
hakunte puzzle and finished their quest you should have access to it. if you did that, and still feel like you don't know where to find it
try talking to all the hakunte again, one of them has something to show you

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
If you've solved the
hakunte puzzle and finished their quest you should have access to it. if you did that, and still feel like you don't know where to find it
try talking to all the hakunte again, one of them has something to show you
Have you saved that giant fish in the center of the Mushroom Forest yet? You'll need to do that first.
I have not figured out what I have to do here, no.

Guess this is my next task then, thanks.

Edit: Really not sure about this lol, though I did find 4 different coloured mushrooms now if they're significant.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I have not figured out what I have to do here, no.

Guess this is my next task then, thanks.

Edit: Really not sure about this lol, though I did find 4 different coloured mushrooms now if they're significant.
There's one more type of mushroom you'll need to find somewhere in the forest, and they are very significant.

The one important clue you'll need to solve this puzzle is the Rumrom Florence gives you. If you haven't met Florence, go as far east as you can from the fork in the road at your house. If you've met him and talked to him in the Mushroom Forest but don't know how to read Rumroms yet, now's the time to go to Dr. Hager's Lab in the Tropical Fields.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
There's one more type of mushroom you'll need to find somewhere in the forest, and they are very significant.

The one important clue you'll need to solve this puzzle is the Rumrom Florence gives you. If you haven't met Florence, go as far east as you can from the fork in the road at your house. If you've met him and talked to him in the Mushroom Forest but don't know how to read Rumroms yet, now's the time to go to Dr. Hager's Lab in the Tropical Fields.
Ah I haven't gone to the lab yet since you mentioned you found the premium entry pass for free somewhere else. Still haven't come across that but I may as well just pay the 5000 now seeing you can make so much from fishing lol.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Ah I haven't gone to the lab yet since you mentioned you found the premium entry pass for free somewhere else. Still haven't come across that but I may as well just pay the 5000 now seeing you can make so much from fishing lol.
Well, if you want to avoid spending that fee, all you need to do is show the regular Hager Badge to the King, and he'll trade you for his Gold Hager Badge.

I honestly stumbled across that by accident though, lol. I just thought that since the King and Hager have a connection, showing him the badge would have some sort of special dialogue.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Well, if you want to avoid spending that fee, all you need to do is show the regular Hager Badge to the King, and he'll trade you for his Gold Hager Badge.

I honestly stumbled across that by accident though, lol. I just thought that since the King and Hager have a connection, showing him the badge would have some sort of special dialogue.
Oh ok thanks, probably would never have found that. I'll go do that now and continue on the quest then, thank you!!

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Started playing it today and I'm currently on lvl. 5. Any tip on how to capture some souls? Some of them just run away even if I approach them super slowly.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Ahh I found the arcade game.

Feels like sometimes you let go for .01 seconds and it just plummets. Have gotten to level 4 a few times so far.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I really need help:

How do I get the
caviar for the ghostly fellow in the Haunted House? I looked up a walkthrough (ugh) because I am at such a loss. It says I need to go fishing in the Mushroom Forest area, but I cannot find a fishing spot. Is there something else I've missed? I still haven't taken Yoshida to college because whenever he tells me to meet him at my house at night, he is never there. I guess I might need assistance for that part, too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I really need help:

How do I get the
caviar for the ghostly fellow in the Haunted House? I looked up a walkthrough (ugh) because I am at such a loss. It says I need to go fishing in the Mushroom Forest area, but I cannot find a fishing spot. Is there something else I've missed? I still haven't taken Yoshida to college because whenever he tells me to meet him at my house at night, he is never there. I guess I might need assistance for that part, too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The latter issue is very simple, you just need to sleep in your house at night and Yoshida will wake you up to attend the midnight classes.

As for the caviar, this was actually touched on just a little earlier on this page; you'll need to save the giant fish at the center of the Mushroom Forest first.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Man I literally had to record video of my switch and play it back frame by frame to get through that Robi chip defense puzzle .

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
The latter issue is very simple, you just need to sleep in your house at night and Yoshida will wake you up to attend the midnight classes.

As for the caviar, this was actually touched on just a little earlier on this page; you'll need to save the giant fish at the center of the Mushroom Forest first.
Thank you! I will attempt these things later today.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
MondoMega
I've translated my slabs but I can only translate half of what the mushroom guys are saying, I'm assuming that means I'm missing slabs and should put this on old and search elsewhere?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know whether this song (the vocal version) plays anywhere in the game?

I thought it would be like, the ending credits theme after hearing it years ago but it was kera-ma-go again.

Deleted member 5189

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. Overall a great experience. The Switch made some puzzles a lot easier with the ability to record screenshots and videos.
I was kinda disapointed by the ending... but it's my fault that i expected there to be more.
The Credits are a 10/10. Awesome art, music and a joy to watch.

From the white arrow dialogue i know the armor of the hero/OTHERME is cursed but how did he get inside it. Did he die before he got inside or do they refer with his death to the ability of the armor to suck the soul out of the host?

At the Start of the game i was a little bit mad that i couldn't use an upper case letter but i really like what they did with the name of the characters.

The spritework is awesome, so is the music. I ripped the soundtrack from YouTube but i would prefer an official release on all digital music platforms.
Is it just coincidence or is the games plot also influenced by music: "Fly Me To The Moon" and "What is Love"?
I never really used the MD-Feature, i want the music to be played where they belong. But it's a joy to listen to it after finishing the game.

Damn, i took 383 pictures/videos of the game... (^_^)

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I don't know if this is explained in game eventually (I'm like maybe 2 hours in so far?) but are the protagonist's cap and gloves/boots a reference to Link and Mario?

Speaking of references:
I fixed the Rainbow machine last night and triggered the cutscene with the Hero putting on lingerie to get by. Two things: 1) this explains one of the early armor sets in Dandy Dungeon 😆 but 2) is there some specific JRPG event that they're poking fun at here? Or is this just more of a general commentary on game heroes putting on ridiculous outfits to get past certain segments?

Last edited:

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I did all, this even in reverse. I even got a bunch of scary hands that grabbed me, but nothing happens afterwards. Just the same forest as before with no new things to access.

EDIT: Got it now, it also depends where you stand and the time I think.
Hey. Would you be able to help me out with this part?

I've eaten the mushrooms in the correct order (the first time), went back to the tropical forest and touched all of the fish, and am now trying to eat the mushrooms again, but it's not working. What did you do differently that solved your issues?

Edit: nvm. It eventually worked, though I do not know what I did differently. Man. I love this game, but sometimes there are certain actions that make no sense to me haha

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Okay, I had a good rest and some decent dreams, let's do this:

I don't think the ending had the impact on me it was supposed to, but I don't put any fault on the game for that. If anything it's almost frightening how similar some aspects are to something I experienced when I was a teenager that's become a defining moment for me.

Essentially, when I was a sophomore in high school, I had a very memorable dream. It was one where time was distorted and lasted over two weeks. I was abducted by something and awoke in this town I can't forget. All the buildings were colorful paper cutouts whose sizes were true to life set against a bright night sky. I found out the people there were under attack and I decided to help. We formed a resistance, but the enemy outnumbered us. We knew of a snake living on the moon, so we built a rocket to take us there and ask for help. Just as we were arriving, the enemy destroyed us.

I woke up and realized I had been dreaming. I started to cry as I realized I'd forget their names and faces, which I did, but vowed I wouldn't forget them or the feelings I had that morning. I remember thinking that death must be like a dream, waking up as someone else and forgetting everyone you've grown to love and care for, but maybe you could carry that feeling of love with you. I obviously don't know that last part, but I'm almost 30 now and it's something that's stayed in the back of my head. I try and treat every person I meet with some form of love because of it.

So here's moon. I think the big thing to take from the ending is not that you should stop playing games, but that people tend to obsess over a game and not take the themes it has with them after it's ended. Or that they keep playing the game to get better at it long after they've experienced everything it has to stay, thus stopping you from new experiences. This game is a blueprint of people you may meet in real life and what you can do to show them love. It's important that it shows love tied to levels will never be enough. Hence your avatar being too new to use the love to open the door. It needs to mature and sink in; exist outside of a game first.

This is a very 90s game. That's both something very welcome and a little off-putting. On one hand, you have the tone, the music, and the sheer creativity that the 90s brought. On the other, it feels like this game was made for boys. This is both a reflection of other RPGs at the time, since it's clearly trying to use the tropes of the genre, while failing to have some foresight about who is playing and enjoying games. Leaving the fallen child's gender in Undertale up to interpretation is one of its strengths. Tim Rogers said in a tweet to use your real name for moon, but the character will always be the invisible boy at the end.

I think most characters in the game have hidden depth and can appear off-putting or simplistic, but the game has issues when it comes to portraying women. It doesn't mean they're bad characters, and there's one in particular that sticks out, but you just need to take a look at the roles of men and what they're allowed to experience compared to the women. Almost all of them are portrayed as motherly in some way. This could be because it's the dream of the invisible boy, but there are characters like Bilby who experience pain from divorce and just wanting to be there for his child that your character probably doesn't get. Then there's Shambles who can remember the past and attend school with the birds, Lawrence who experiences multiple dimensions, and even the ghost who goes out of his way to protect the spirits of the animals even though he's stuck to the world because he remembers being hungry. The women are stuck to either being mother figures like Gramby, the westerner's wife, and the dragon's other half, off-putting like Femi and Wanda (who despite owning a bar as her main function, also seems to be Flora's mother.), or talking about boys, like Wanda again with Florence and Dalia and her lovely but fucking weird obsession with Perogon. Even Clis, despite having a fantastic quest, just wants to be an idol and is the typical waitress with dreams of being famous trope.

The one character that stands out to me is Lady Techno. She's not perfect. Early on you can find papers that show the Re-men Drones filing a report of slander against her for filing multiple reports of sexual harassment. As you go on, you start to piece together that the drones in the VIP are jealous of her because they believe they're going to be decommissioned and scrapped. At first, I thought the story was going to be she was confusing their looks of jealousy as sexual harassment, but those drones are from Group A, whereas the reports are about Group B. I went through a series of emotions with her. I started out thinking she was human and watching over the others. Then when the Re-men were talking with the mayor, they mentioned she was a robot. Finally, when talking with her, I had the gut-punch of a moment when I realized she didn't know. It was one of my favorite moments, and although she mentioned she didn't like the others because they have to recharge and not because, you know, sexual harassment, walking her through realizing she needs to charge which means she's also a robot, was moving and incredibly sad.

The Eco gang is a mixed bag for me. They are obnoxious in their HQ, but the game does a decent job of making the point that they are just as deserving of love as you. And they stole from the minister, who seems to have killed Gramby's grandchild to put them in the armor. So major props for that. I already mentioned Femi. I actually liked her after the lecture, but her later appearance was not nearly as flattering. The others were also mistaken about you, however, as Castle Town residents point out, "you" already existed, and "you" could have at least thrown the fish and cans back in the water. The tree was not you, though.

I really don't like that the only dark-skinned character was on an island with monkeys. And you leave him feeling like a failure. You're told by the dragon's other half that this motivates him, but you never see that. He's never mentioned again. And it sucks because the flight to the island is one of the best moments in the game and the monkeys themselves are adorable. I know Fred and Curio exist, too, for more representation, but only Fred stands out as "good". He's one of the best characters in the game for me, and endlessly endearing despite likely being the one that killed the hero, but it doesn't erase the racism.

So the game was a mixed bag. There are moments that are going to stay with me for a long time. Almost anything with Yoshida or forcing you to wait is in a league of its own. The characters and themes are good. I think this would be an amazing game to play for a kid. Right now? It has some issues that are hard for me personally to overlook, but it also scratched an itch that hasn't been scratched since Majora's Mask. And considering this came out before Majora started production, I think there's a chance that game wouldn't exist without this one.

And finally: Papas, the westerner dad, is going to forever haunt me. Jesus Christ, his neck.

I wrote a lot more than I expected, so be warned it's a bit long.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
I don't know if this is explained in game eventually (I'm like maybe 2 hours in so far?) but are the protagonist's cap and gloves/boots a reference to Link and Mario?

Speaking of references:
I fixed the Rainbow machine last night and triggered the cutscene with the Hero putting on lingerie to get by. Two things: 1) this explains one of the early armor sets in Dandy Dungeon 😆 but 2) is there some specific JRPG event that they're poking fun at here? Or is this just more of a general commentary on game heroes putting on ridiculous outfits to get past certain segments?

In the intro when you're playing the fake game, you can pick up the ultimate armor set from a drawer in the bar. If you talk to Wanda in the game world, she mentions the Hero stormed in and stole her lingerie. It's more commentary on what you'd actually find if you were exploring an RPG town in real life.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
In the intro when you're playing the fake game, you can pick up the ultimate armor set from a drawer in the bar. If you talk to Wanda in the game world, she mentions the Hero stormed in and stole her lingerie. It's more commentary on what you'd actually find if you were exploring an RPG town in real life.

🤣 Haven't really interacted with that NPC yet but I should've recognized the callback to the intro. Thanks for the answer!

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Patrick Klepek has a great Q & A with the writer of moon, Yoshiro Kimura, over at Vice.
Holy shit:

So why revisit moon now? Why release it in English in 2020? What changed?

Quite simply because everything we needed to make it happen, happened. In order to release moon now, a series of veritable miracles were needed.

A producer at Kadokawa appeared who pushed it forward. (Editor's Note: The game's original publisher, ASCII, became part of Kadokawa in 2013] I got the greenlight from all the Love-de-lic members We found the thought-to-be-non-existent harddrive with the old code on it. I met an engineer who was well versed both in the programming techniques of the time, and modern ones, too. And, of course, the existence of Onion Games [the localized game's publisher].

But, before any of that, I think my biggest emotional motivation probably came from Toby Fox. He often came to Japan, and we'd go out for meals, and we were even interviewed together. We're from different generations, but I love talking with him and respect him as a fellow creator and friend.

So, one day, Toby, Zun from Touhou Project and myself were interviewed. After it was done, Toby and I went and got coffee together near the train station and he asked me why I didn't release moon worldwide. I told him there was no way I could, but thinking back, that was the first push that got me thinking, 'why am I giving up? I could do this if I wanted to'. Localising moon so he could play it became really good motivation for me.

So, thank you, Toby!

Toby Fox was partially responsible for Moon finally seeing a Western release all these years later. Crazy.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who've finished the game, what song/music disc sticks out in your mind as the one most strongly associated with your experience?

For me it's gotta be:

This is the official song of Moon for me. It fits the dreamlike, very Japanese vibe of the whole game, and it happened to be playing over a number of memorable moments in the game when I played.

This one stuck out to me as well:

Last edited:

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Huh? What worldwide release of Mother 3?

I meant the worldwide release on moon. Mother 3 was given new life on the GBA because Iwata simply asked Itoi if the canceled Mother 3 would work as a GBA game since it was originally planned for the N64DD.

There's a similarity in the two stories which I like.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Patrick Klepek has a great Q & A with the writer of moon, Yoshiro Kimura, over at Vice.

That was fantastic. I have a deep respect for Mr. Kimura. I read a poorly google translated version of the interview he mentions with Toby and ZUN, where he had quite a bit of insight. It's interesting to think that kick started everything. He and Toby seem to have a very supportive friendship which seems to have started from their very first exchange. In that interview I think ZUN also gives Toby the encouragement to push forward with Deltarune. It seems that day left an impression on everyone.

And wow, he did the writing for Rule of Rose. That was my best friend in high school's favorite game. She was obsessed with it. He really does bring a lot of love and passion to whatever genre he touches and seems to connect with the people who love those. I really relate to his love of story and music, and his admiration of nature.