• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Mandarin was so bad that even I, a person that doesn't know Mandarin, knew it was bad. Completely missing the tonality you usually hear from fluent Mandarin speakers.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Steven is more interesting than Mark honestly. The whole troubled stoic American mercenary thing is just kind of generic; and would make for a much less compelling main character. Hope that even with Mark in the drivers seat we still get a fair amount of Steven.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not getting the criticism that this is "boring", either. They're doing something different with Moon Knight as a character, and the way that Oscar Isaac is portraying Marc and Steven is fascinating. It really feels like two different people and it's helping me suspend my disbelief a lot.

I was never invested in Moon Knight before, but now I am.

Oct 27, 2017
The weeks have been feeling long in between episodes; it's been a while that a show has hooked me week to week like this (Squid Game was a binge so that doesn't count haha)

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On this thread people forget language and dialect coaches are a thing. He'll, they could have had some people fluent in Mandarin dub their voices and it'd have been better.

I'm still waiting for the "we weren't speaking Mandarin you fool" reveal, but that's probably being optimistic.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
User Banned (1 Month): Whataboutism and Dismissing Concerns of Racism
I still don't get how this is such a big thing to get hung up on when it's one of the objectively hardest to speak languages on this planet, while literally all other languages get butchered regularly in all kinds of American movies and tv shows and nobody bats an eye. Yes, the guys' Mandarin was bad for literally one and a half line. Why is this not something to chuckle over, as all anime fans learned to do, and be fine with it?

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get how this is such a big thing to get hung up on when it's one of the objectively hardest to speak languages on this planet, while literally all other languages get butchered regularly in all kinds of American movies and tv shows and nobody bats an eye. Yes, the guys' Mandarin was bad for literally one and a half line. Why is this not something to chuckle over, as all anime fans learned to do, and be fine with it?
Because, if it was an issue, they could have picked any other easier language? Leaving it in butchered feels a bit disrespectful and tarnishes the character at the same time because it's so clearly "off" and it isn't supposed to be.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017

For me, it's partially the problem of terrible Mandarin, and partially my irritation with Mandarin specifically always being the trope language used for "wow this guy is well learned/autodidactic" or whatever. Like, there's hundreds of languages all around the world, I just find it to be lazy when writers fall back on Mandarin always being the one language used for that shorthand. So, when they also do it poorly it just makes the cliche that much more annoying. I'd be just as impressed if he slipped into, like, German or Icelandic or something. There are probably languages that are an easier jump for native English speakers, and wouldn't sound so bad. I think the tendency to use Mandarin is rooted in a bit of, like, Orientalism, too.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How would Ammit get impatient? Death rates are pretty consistent. By all accounts she should have plenty to eat at all times

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Mandarin was so bad that even I, a person that doesn't know Mandarin, knew it was bad. Completely missing the tonality you usually hear from fluent Mandarin speakers.
It wasn't even just the tones--like the first word out of the girl's mouth was "knee high". Come on, even non-speakers have to have heard "ni hao" at least once in their life.

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
Just finished episode 2. Gonna go ahead and say Moon Knight has my favorite costume so far in the MCU. I was really wary of it in the promotional shots, but I'm digging the "light armor" look of it.

Special Puppy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 12, 2020
So is Ammit and the Egyptian gods an alien race like the Asgardians? Do they come from a pocket dimension like the Shang-Chi characters?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm predicting this episode to be a bit slower than usually as it's mid-season and it has to set up the foundation for the final episodes. Though, it's going to take place in a largely new setting so I'm sure the plot will move just as fast as episode 1 and 2.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Still waiting on episode 3 before I properly begin watching Moon Knight but I did come across a clip of Khonshu on YouTube and...is this supposed to be funny? Because i'm getting some serious Venom vibes from the performance and the way they mixed the VA's lines.
So is Ammit and the Egyptian gods an alien race like the Asgardians? Do they come from a pocket dimension like the Shang-Chi characters?
It's...complicated and it varies depending on the writer for Moon Knight, and this is assuming the writer isn't Doug Moench who just used Khonshu as an explanation for Marc's initial backstory in the comics i.e. a mercenary who died and got brought back to life. Sometimes he's portrayed as a manifestation of Marc/Grant/Lockley's worst character traits, sometimes he's a tangible being who's closer to an alien than a deity, sometime he's portrayed as a supernatural being. Most recently, he's been depicted as a sort of deity for which Marc is a priest for...kind of. The newest run is purposefully vague in regards to Khonshu as an entity beyond introducing a second "fist of Khonshu" as a physical representation of his vengeful nature.

Last edited:

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's more " oh fuck oh shit oh no why is this happening" funny.

Also, Khonshu is a dick.
I mean, true to the comics, at least the more recent stories where Khonshu frequently gaslights and misleads Marc.

I dunno, seems tonally disconnected from the show's more serious tone when you have this deity/alien/supernatural being/whatever they end up deciding Khonshu is sounding like he'd tell Steven he's a turd in the wind and thinking it sounds cool.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I mean, true to the comics, at least the more recent stories where Khonshu frequently gaslights and misleads Marc.

I dunno, seems tonally disconnected from the show's more serious tone when you have this deity/alien/supernatural being/whatever they end up deciding Khonshu is sounding like he'd tell Steven he's a turd in the wind and thinking it sounds cool.
He does deride Steven constantly, not 'turd in the wind' tier, but he stays being an asshole whenever he speaks out.

It's worth watching for sure.

Oct 25, 2017

Breaking bad gets shat on for its butchered spanish tho

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This show has yet to hook me, and I worry it will not. Steven is annoying and Marc seems boring. The voice of the deity feels like a mismatch. I'm gonna watch it all but I am sadly not liking it at all.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because taking care of language means you care about the culture. We wouldn't have this defense if it was a random white dude speaking bad Black English. It's the same thing.

Feb 16, 2022
Anime fans usually only have to contend with mispronounced names. But here it's not just names, it's a couple of sentences that was there to imply that Harrow's community is some enlightened, self-learned bunch. The problem here is that it's not simply butchering pronounciation, it's so off that it borders on them speaking gibberish and calling it "Mandarin", which Hollywood has a history of doing.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
tbh it would be very funny if they were saving for some joke later that their Mandarin teacher just sucks that bad.

Feb 16, 2022
While I don't agree at all that this show is boring, I do feel like the OT is going at a much slower pace than the other MCU shows.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
I hope they pay home to this scene.
EMf25HJXYAEwumd

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's interesting to see the process of making a fake passport.

I'm liking the music for the Marvel Studios intro.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm starting to notice a trend when it comes to Gods (or godlike being) in the MCU not wanting to interfere in the affairs of humans.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Interesting...Layla has had business in Madripoor.

That sky sequence was dope af and the fact that everybody could see it happening must have been trippy as hell.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Also 3rd personality confirmed? Is it Jake tho?

I don't think it's Jake...if it is, then he got a HUGE upgrade - an exact inverse to how Steven got a huge downgrade.

I personally think it was Khonshu taking over his body in those instances to set up the subsequence scene that shows that the Gods can also inhabit the body of their Avatars