• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
Alright, so I bought this game at launch, put in approx. 300 hours, then fell off. I have had no itch to come back to play it, as I felt I have seen everything the game had to offer at that point (unusual feeling for a Monster Hunter game, at least for me). With the announcement of Ice bourne, the features they have shown (master rank being on of them), this game started to trickle back into my radar. With that, I did some quick research.

I was shocked to find out that the game was using a GaaS-like model. Having timed events, seasonal content, etc. This is where I started to feel less hyped for the expansion. Never in a Monster Hunter game have I felt like content was locked away from due to some timed event. Out of reach due to gear and skill? Sure. But not because I shelved the game for awhile and missed some timed exclusivity stuff.

This is where I ask the Monster Hunter World community here, is that what's going on? Is there weapons, armor, gadgets etc, that are not available to me because I haven't played since last year? I surely hope that's not the case, as I was really starting to get pumped for this expansion. The idea that I missed out on a years+ worth of time event content, in a Monster Hunter game no less, kinda puts me off.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Alright, so I bought this game at launch, put in approx. 300 hours, then fell off. I have had no itch to come back to play it, as I felt I have seen everything the game had to offer at that point (unusual feeling for a Monster Hunter game, at least for me). With the announcement of Ice bourne, the features they have shown (master rank being on of them), this game started to trickle back into my radar. With that, I did some quick research.

I was shocked to find out that the game was using a GaaS-like model. Having timed events, seasonal content, etc. This is where I started to feel less hyped for the expansion. Never in a Monster Hunter game have I felt like content was locked away from due to some timed event. Out of reach due to gear and skill? Sure. But not because I shelved the game for awhile and missed some timed exclusivity stuff.

This is where I ask the Monster Hunter World community here, is that what's going on? Is there weapons, armor, gadgets etc, that are not available to me because I haven't played since last year? I surely hope that's not the case, as I was really starting to get pumped for this expansion. The idea that I missed out on a years+ worth of time event content, in a Monster Hunter game no less, kinda puts me off.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

yeah you missed out, some events when they are up do have allllll the seasonal content in however

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm knee deep in the game right now (approx. 30 hours) and I think it's fine. The core game is always there for you and there's some seasonal content for regular players.

There's gonna be a huge payed DLC in the fall anyway, so there's not a whole lot of important stuff you can miss out on.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
It seems like they repeat the same seasonal unique items now after this year's spring blossom fest. Plus the seasonal events have all the event quests that have happened I think. So you'll be able to partake in any of the seasonal events and not have missed much. And honestly, you're really not missing much on the gear anyway apart from some goofy layered armor and AT elder dragons.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
The events do come back from time to time, sometimes all at once. In all the MH versions I played, they all do this but I never felt like they were permanently gone. The gear from these events also aren't necessarily the best in the game, either.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I remember staying up super late trying frantically trying to get the Horizon Palico before it went away seemingly forever.

So yeah.... Unless they changed things (haven't played since last year), that's the type of game it is.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The majority of the seasonal stuff is for layered armor and the like. And if it helps, there's at least 3 festivals a year where they bring all the temporary and event stuff back.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Seasonal events are fantastic. They bring the community back together for a few days to play the game. I love it.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
That was what they had done in the original console games. It's actually a lot better in World because the original way they used only had events available on weekends and only one at a time.

OP
OP
Dynheart

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
Cool. As long as I can chase the stuff at some point, I'm good. I just don't want to be perma locked out because I took a break.

I'm a sucker for collecting the dumb stuff, as it gives me things to do outside of the power chase.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
That was what they had done in the original console games. It's actually a lot better in World because the original way they used only had events available on weekends and only one at a time.
Usually in the previous games, once an event quest unlocked, it unlocked forever. I was able to download event quests in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for PSP in like 2013!

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If it makes you feel better, Capcom brings back most of the limited time events pretty regularly. I'm not sure if there's anything that you can miss out on permanently.

Also, you could add a "LTTP: " to the front of your thread title. The current title is pretty general. :)

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Usually in the previous games, once an event quest unlocked, it unlocked forever. I was able to download event quests in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for PSP in like 2013!
That was how they did it for the portable games, since those weren't even online until 4. It's pretty lame that they went back to the console style.

I'm talking ones like Monster Hunter 1 or Monster Hunter Tri here.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I really, really want to dig into this game but I feel like between it and FFXIV I'd never play anything else, haha.

I wish there was a noob sponsorship program so I could learn it without fear of fumbling through the dark.

H2Yo

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That Witcher content is the most frustrating gaming moment of my entire life. I have never been so angry at a game, I tried to alt-f4 in disgust but it wouldn't let me. The cut scenes are totally unskippable so replaying that cunt of a mission was even worse. The jagras that get summoned have like 20 times more health than usual, they get summoned every 5 minutes, then the bastard constantly causes bleed damage which is normally easy to remove but you can never sit still long enough for it to wear off. There is no visible damage indicated so I can never tell how long I have left... I know it's optional but what a shit show. Also all the weapons you can choose seem weak as shit.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
That Witcher content is the most frustrating gaming moment of my entire life. I have never been so angry at a game, I tried to alt-f4 in disgust but it wouldn't let me. The cut scenes are totally unskippable so replaying that cunt of a mission was even worse. The jagras that get summoned have like 20 times more health than usual, they get summoned every 5 minutes, then the bastard constantly causes bleed damage which is normally easy to remove but you can never sit still long enough for it to wear off. There is no visible damage indicated so I can never tell how long I have left... I know it's optional but what a shit show. Also all the weapons you can choose seem weak as shit.
The EKG above the monster icon on the UI is a health indicator. If it's almost flatlining the monster is almost dead.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
This is what I remember as well.
Yes, that's how it was in all previous games. I was weary of the whole timed event quest thing at first as well, but they have been very generous with how often the recur and the seasonal events usually last several weeks with all event quests available.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I feel you, OP. If it's any consolation, the event stuff is usually just cross-over armour and weird variations of existing monsters, etc.
Also as others have said, there are seasonal events that bring a lot (if not all) of this stuff back up for grabs.

I'm considering jumping back in with Iceborne, as I know my buddies will be playing with it and I've been a fan of MH since PSP Freedom.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I did a lot of the quests and timed content for a few months after basically maxing out my Hammer and Dual Blades mains and I found a lot of the gear that you get it not really viable for high level play, some of them are nice pieces which give you a whole skill or lots of slots but they don't really have a good armour rating so I don't use them at all. Also a lot of them are cosmetic or only work well as part of a whole set and if you dare to wear it to a high level fight chances are you'll get one shot so I don't think you are missing out anything in all honesty. I also haven't played in approx 8 months (basically after the Deviljoe content) so I could be wrong.

Looking forward to the expansion.